Post-Game Talk: Jets 7 - Avs 6, Jets lead series 1-0

Status
Not open for further replies.

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
Fraud City MB
What happened to Barron. My memory deserted me.

Agree on Monahan & Toffoli.
But I think there has to be at least 1 lineup change. Stan was exposed by the speed. He got the least TOI among Jets D. I'd go back to Samberg - Schmidt, or Miller.
He was checked into the boards awkwardly, Schmidt before Miller if we make a change

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Exactly. He's still really good but like the regular season is prone to variance in individual game performance. People tend to remember the bad more then the good it seems.
People also tend to ignore team strength in the playoffs. Last year, IIRC, the Jets had the highest save percentage of any team that played the Golden Knights, at .886. The Avs had a sh% of 11.16% this season. They're really good at scoring goals.

I'm not overly worried, though I think Hellebuyck is and will be better than he was in game 1.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
We laughed pretty hard at the "glitch in the matrix" when the Avs scored to tie the game at 2-2 and then Sportsnet displayed the 3-3 score. It was quickly returned to 2-2 and we joked that the game was rigged and they already knew the score. Seconds later it's 2-3 and a minute later it was 3-3 which just added to the comedy of the whole thing.

The other funny part was on Lowrys triple post goal.
I was explaining to some people (less versed in all that is hockey) how Lowry doesn't score a lot but he does X-Y-Z and literally as I was explaining all that he did those things and scored as I finished my sentence.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Hellebuyck's career playoff stats are negligibly worse than his career regular season stats. .917sv% to .915sv%.
relative to the field, PO sv% seems to be higher. of goalies with min. of 2 full series of PO-action (14 gp) since 17-18, the sv% is 0.916 (31 goalies) in the league so Helle would be basically around average (18th/31, & sv% inches higher with tighter GP thresholds). whereas a 0.917 in the regular season is among the best since he debuted. although individually it is around the same, i can see why folks have the impression that he isn't as good, b/c the opposing goalies around the league seem to be performing better relative to the regular season.

Last edited:

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Best series of the 1st Rd. I have a feeling the Avs come back with Annunen for next game. Georgy is terrible. Jets have the defence and goaltending. Dave Lowry is the closest thing I have seen to Butch Goring in years. What a workhorse. Jets have a dandy in him

Wondering if Annunen is hurt. Arvid Holm was their backup last night.

Even if it is Georgy again tomorrow, don't expect to score 7.

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
I'd bet Helle's 5-10 most difficult saves were higher danger than anything Georgiev faced.
Iol, colorado had some horrible break downs but ok... helle had to make more difficult saves but again you are acting like georgiev let in 5 weaks goals

Last edited:
Reactions: FrankGallagher

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I'd be a little concerned about putting Schmidt in for Stanley. Stan is in because Schmidt looked awful the last 3 weeks of the season. Last night was tough on all d with crazy for check pressure. Demelo might have been the worst and we aren't talking about pulling him.

Stan would have been even worse with DeMelo's TOI.

I'd be a little concerned putting Schmidt in for Stanley too. But I'd be more concerned leaving Stanley in. He just can't handle Avs speed. Maybe its Miller time.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
What a crazy game. Obviously both coaches will not be happy with it, but I'm just happy the Jets got the W.

Didn't love the way the Jets started, and for lots of moments I didn't like how they were getting beaten to pucks, and letting the Avs easily through the neutral zone and entries into the zone.

But I have to love the pushback, and the way the team kept the hammer down and kept scoring.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
So a few more thoughts TLDR alert

Credit to the Avs for coming out like house on fire and playing so fast all over the ice. They dictated the style of play right off the hop and really for most of the game.

One of the reasons our D looked a bit rattled was that Bones was using that old school Hartley in Calgary break out system where the strong side forward was up around the centre line waiting to receive a stretch pass and tip it in the ozone. The problem was Colorado was overloading the boards on the strong side and tended to have two layers of players between our defender and his target. Combine it with a fast F1 forecheck against and our defenders were getting hung out to dry without a good 1st pass option. It started working a bit better when we targeted the middle of the ice for the tip and abandoned the strong side boards but it created allot of chaos and turnovers with our forwards being on the high side of their man on the post turnover counter attack and creating odd man problems.

The main challenge Stanley had was when Colorado chose to dump it to his side the F1 would be on top of him and Stan would continually choose to ignore the puck and play the body only at the boards during retreat. On most of the occasions he would lose that puck battle and the Lanche would establish possession. The D man needs to get back and get the first touch on the puck with his stick even if he is under duress, or at least get that done most of the time. He was "ok" when he had time and space but that wasn't very often last night. After the Samberg-Stanley FU on the goal against I think Bones lost a bit of confidence in the pair and seemed to really shelter them. We need Samberg to play well in this series and I think he is fully capable of that if he is playing on the left side with more of a puck moving partner. I think Bones thought Stanley's size and physicality would be an asset but he was struggling too much with the speed of the forecheck and for the most part he was losing the puck battles on the boards. No shame in it, the game was fast and furious and it made allot of players look similar. I think playing a guy that is a bit more use to the playoff pressure would help.

Honestly, I didn't think Helly played that badly. The 3rd goal was a howler and that can't happen but other than that it seemed to be screens, tips, bounces, or him getting totally hung out to dry (goal two). Connor was under siege for allot of the game and made lots of really good stops too. Now it saying that "not playing badly" is not going to be good enough, he's going to need to be our best player most nights.

I can also take Colorado to the wood shed too, we got three of our goals on forced turnovers, sloppy defense, blown coverages when they were on a man, screens as well. Sure their goalie played poorly and has to be better but we made them look really bad when we could actually control the play in their zone.

Either way it was one for the ages to be at.............somebody posted this was like that 8-7 game we had with the Flyers lite and that was spot on.

Odd comment alert, one of my favorite Jets last night was Namestnikov, he was playing with allot of confidence and I think he looked really good. Hopefully they can get him a bit more TOI.

Oh and if I didn't mention it watching Nate MacKinnon out there is really something to behold. Too bad its happening against the team I am desperately cheering for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad