Kane with sports hernia - had it all year

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
It isn’t cap circumvention. It’s an actual, diagnosed injury. No- a league doctor doesn’t go with what a player says- they get a physical assessment and deem whether the injury is real and recommend surgery or rehab. The team can then assess whether to shelf the player or not. Playing through injury is a cultural thing with hockey players. A player doesn’t have a say whether or not to go on LTIR.
I did mention that the injury is real in all these cases. The wiggle room is in the severity of the injury and when the player says they are ready to play, as well as timing of surgeries. My point is just that management and players are likely coordinating within this wiggle room to maximize cap space, and that this isn't in the spirit of the rule.

Also, it should be pointed out that at some point in this process someone is going to basically lie. It's too much coincidence for it not to be.

The whole thing punishes a player or organization who is committed to playing as much as possible and doesn't want to exaggerate conditions and misrepresent things.

Last edited:

Norwegianoiler

Nov 17, 2014
I see all these suggestions that Kane should have been put on LTIR long ago, but I don't see how that would help the Oilers at all. They could not even use that cap space, because who could tell if Kane came back weeks or even just days before the playoffs when the cap limit is gone, then they'd be over the cap and would have to waive someone just to get under. It's just not possible. It's an impossible task to know in advance just when someone is ready to play again, right? Right, guys?

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
kane is a very smart person, i assuming he made this all known and public to bring his beast game to the playoffs. hes going to run over the kings

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
kane is a very smart person, i assuming he made this all known and public to bring his beast game to the playoffs. hes going to run over the kings

Could be.

Could also be a sign that the team wants to reduce his minutes in the playoffs. And he wants everyone to know it’s because he’s injured so that he doesn’t get judged.

Regardless its just a weird situation. I don’t remember anyone doing this before the playoffs start (in the NHL). Think its more common in the NFL/NBA.

Feels like unnecessary drama but time will tell. I’d be pleasantly surprised if Kane goes beast mode.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Making a thread about this as I haven't seen it reported anywhere.

Source here:

Kane has had sports hernia all year apparently. These generally don't heal on their own, and require surgery. I am making this thread more about the fact we DIDN'T use the Vegas/LTIR for this. He could have saved us $5.5 on the cap at the deadline, and gotten surgery and been close to 100% for the playoffs (if he got the surgery in the Dec/Jan timeframe). If he could have gotten the surgery and been back by mid-April, it is simply inexcusable from management to not go this route. I'm hoping that there was something we are not aware of that prevented us from doing this (surgery recovery not lining up or whatever).

Edit: watched the Knob video, and he said he expect Kane for game 1, so .... who knows. LTIR comments above still valid though.

Source:

Yet another opportunity lost due to Kenny. 8 weeks prior to April 18th would have been February 22, the exact same day Stone came out of the lineup. If Kane played for Vegas, that would have been precisely the day he was added to the LTIR as they'd have the diagnosis to support the assignment.

1713799148454.png

Reactions: Duke74 and guymez

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
This org is never gonna be serious about winning. This was a layup to LTIR and add at the deadline. Not only could Kane be back for game 1 at 100% but we could have added an impact player.
So they tried to sign Markstrom. Got Kane, Hyman, Ekholm, Perry and Henrique.....but they aren't serious about winning?

Might want to rethink that statement

Reactions: Tobias Kahun

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
So they tried to sign Markstrom. Got Kane, Hyman, Ekholm, Perry and Henrique.....but they aren't serious about winning?

I mean, as much as I like Skinner, him and Pickard as our tandem going into the playoffs doesn't inspire a ton of confidence.

Not to mention Nurse/Ceci.

Kane has to be better than he was last year in the playoffs.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
That’s typical of this player once he has spent a few years with an organization,

I’m pretty sure you can. He has to get clearance from the doctors and the team. just like players get pulled off for concussion protocols, a team can LTIR if they think he is too hurt to play and is validated by doctors.
Concussion protocols are compltely diffeerent. Concussion protocols are such that the player must follow the rules in place.
Kane has an injury that players typically play thorugh.

A competent organization. You play to a players emotion and "manage" them. "You're a star on this team and we need you to go for playoffs. Let's get this surgery now so you're ready gm 1."

If he say "no" ok... Then you're healty scratched for Holloway as you're not 100%.
I suppose so.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
I mean, as much as I like Skinner, him and Pickard as our tandem going into the playoffs doesn't inspire a ton of confidence.

Ya, but there's fans version of reality and there's actual reality. The 2 aren't even close.
This org tried to get Markstrom when he was one of the best goalies in the NHL. They also tried for another and it was reported they refused to come here.
We ended up getting one of the few goalies available, and willing to come here.... Campbell. That pretty much locks them into it.

Somehow fans think there is an unlimited goalie pool and these guys are fighting eachother to come to Edmonton. Ppl believe we can get new goalies every few months if we aren't satisfied.

Reality don't live here

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003

Getting lucky with Nashville's cap dump was Holland's only really impressive move for his $25M price tag. Tossing money at UFA's are pretty typical Holland that any GM can do and he did all the time in Detroit. Picking up troubled players no other team wanted takes some guts I suppose. Drafting has been atrocious.

Maybe saying not serious about winning is the wrong phrase. This is as good as Holland is capable of. He has basically done what anyone that knew his history expected. Let's say they don't have the will and/or brains to take full advantage of the rules like Vegas and Tampa did to win cups. Team is run with a belief that you can't squeeze any other GM and have to always pay max price on trades and that good behaviour, and not complaining about anything the league does with eventually be rewarded.

Reactions: foshizzle

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
When's the last time this team could cover for putting Kane on the 4th line or have him not playing? Top 9 is deep with the recent play of Holloway.

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
Yet another opportunity lost due to Kenny. 8 weeks prior to April 18th would have been February 22, the exact same day Stone came out of the lineup. If Kane played for Vegas, that would have been precisely the day he was added to the LTIR as they'd have the diagnosis to support the assignment.

View attachment 857322
I agree. Could have LTIR’d Kane before the deadline and you could have added a significant piece on top of having a healthy Kane. Now it’s an injured Kane who won’t be as effective. Monumentally stupid

Getting lucky with Nashville's cap dump was Holland's only really impressive move for his $25M price tag. Tossing money at UFA's are pretty typical Holland that any GM can do and he did all the time in Detroit. Picking up troubled players no other team wanted takes some guts I suppose. Drafting has been atrocious.

Maybe saying not serious about winning is the wrong phrase. This is as good as Holland is capable of. He has basically done what anyone that knew his history expected. Let's say they don't have the will and/or brains to take full advantage of the rules like Vegas and Tampa did to win cups. Team is run with a belief that you can't squeeze any other GM and have to always pay max price on trades and that good behaviour, and not complaining about anything the league does with eventually be rewarded.
Even Stauffer was mocking “being liked” is not doing anything to help the Oilers. Also- said if Holland has so much clout- why can’t the oilers get any calls

Concussion protocols are compltely diffeerent. Concussion protocols are such that the player must follow the rules in place.
Kane has an injury that players typically play thorugh.

I suppose so.
The point is that the team can make the call- player’s opinion only matters as much as the doctor and team want it to.

Reactions: oobga and guymez

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

Its like people forgot Kane was about our worst player in the Vegas series. Memories seem stuck on what he did two postseasons ago. he was worse option than Kostin last playoffs.

reaching

if this was corey perry it would be crickets and "oh I hope he feels better" but since this is evander kane saying it....
What exactly are you suggesting? Should I ask? ... You state this in the same post where you state another poster is "reaching"

Kane has a history of his own ego being bigger than the room. Also of being a wingnut. There was a reason there was a list of only two teams willing to even entertain having this player after all his priors.

Sure it applies to Perry as well and if he's f***ing up people would be talking about it.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
This is buffonery
Enlight me if there something more to the story but if you play injured all season then why revealing if right before the playoffs start.

General! send a pigeon to the ennemy, we must reveal the weakness in our positions!
Please torpedo the battleship right here on the X. Thats the vulnerability. c'mon Uboats! ;)

I'm jk. As if a team would even bother targeting Kane with anything. You don't even have to cover him post injuries.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
This is rich coming from you. I recall you being quite supportive of this player in the past. Guy doesn’t meet expectations obviously due to a injury and off with his head eh.
No mention of 6th league wide in hits, 4th in team goals and wanting more ice time despite playing through injury?
Fickle fans all around.
Kane doesn't meet any condition of getting unconditional support. He hasn't earned that in his career and extraneous activities and shouldn't. Was fully willing to accept the player but not unconditionally, and not for any timespan. Kane was best as a short term solution to bolster topsix. He can't even play topsix now.

Its pro sports. If you can't bring it now you're done. We're talking about an Evander Kane that went 21 games without a goal on one of the highest scoring teams around.

KlefDown

I adore Soli
May 2, 2014
What exactly are you suggesting? Should I ask? ... You state this in the same post where you state another poster is "reaching"

Kane has a history of his own ego being bigger than the room. Also of being a wingnut. There was a reason there was a list of only two teams willing to even entertain having this player after all his priors.

Sure it applies to Perry as well and if he's f***ing up people would be talking about it.
all I'm gonna say is that the anti-kane propaganda has been out all in full force all season

he took a week off in the last week of the regular season, they media asked him what he was dealing with and he told us. we all knew something was up with him considering the missed practices, his sub-par performances and limited minutes on certain nights etc...

he could have taken the high road and said "undisclosed injury" and I'd wager a certain group would still say some shit like bro just wanted a week off to chill at home. like you said, he "doesn't meet any condition of getting unconditional support" so he has tp reveal his injury

KlefDown

I adore Soli
May 2, 2014
Its pro sports. If you can't bring it now you're done. We're talking about an Evander Kane that went 21 games without a goal on one of the highest scoring teams around.
you do realize there are only so many goals to go around for everyone per 60 right?

you can't expect everyone from Hyman, Drai, Connor, Nuge, Kane to all score 40+ in the top 6, no team has that

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
all I'm gonna say is that the anti-kane propaganda has been out all in full force all season

he took a week off in the last week of the regular season, they media asked him what he was dealing with and he told us. we all knew something was up with him considering the missed practices, his sub-par performances and limited minutes on certain nights etc...

he could have taken the high road and said "undisclosed injury" and I'd wager a certain group would still say some shit like bro just wanted a week off to chill at home. like you said, he "doesn't meet any condition of getting unconditional support" so he has tp reveal his injury
No, he doesn't have to reveal his injury. That was idiotic. He either did that purposely or he's more absent of thought than generally thought. This is the same guy that complained about minutes, about usage, about what line he was. That basically insinuated the players he was playing with were chopped liver. Kane this season hasn't been a solid team guy and its not just the fans. All of McD, Drai, and Perry have took turns reaming him out on the bench. You seldom see that. I only saw that on bench with players in the case of Puljujarvi, and with Yakupov. Is Kane in that category now?

you do realize there are only so many goals to go around for everyone per 60 right?

you can't expect everyone from Hyman, Drai, Connor, Nuge, Kane to all score 40+ in the top 6, no team has that
Kane has been scoring 1G/mth now for multiple months. 21 games without a single goal. yes, I should expect more than that.

Reactions: AddyTheWrath

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
This is buffonery
Enlight me if there something more to the story but if you play injured all season then why revealing if right before the playoffs start.

General! send a pigeon to the ennemy, we must reveal the weakness in our positions!
Or send the enemy a message about a weakness that isn't there...

KlefDown

I adore Soli
May 2, 2014
No, he doesn't have to reveal his injury. That was idiotic. He either did that purposely or he's more absent of thought than generally thought. This is the same guy that complained about minutes, about usage, about what line he was. That basically insinuated the players he was playing with were chopped liver. Kane this season hasn't been a solid team guy and its not just the fans. All of McD, Drai, and Perry have took turns reaming him out on the bench. You seldom see that. I only saw that on bench with players in the case of Puljujarvi, and with Yakupov. Is Kane in that category now?

Kane has been scoring 1G/mth now for multiple months. 21 games without a single goal. yes, I should expect more than that.
if Kane is as inconsequential as you say he is then you shouldn't be this up in arms about him revealing his injury. I couldn't have given any f***s if Jesse said he's dealing with double hip injuries going into the playoffs

I'm not going to pretend Kane is a saint, its obvious there is shit that has gone wrong with him this year re: Perry, Drai Connor all having a word with him, all im saying is that him disclosing this injury isn't it and given that he still has 24 goals while dealing with an injury which probably snowballed into affecting his play which probably caused his teammates to be frustrated with him especially with his effort. bro has been through enough, if you wanna support the Oilers on this run, you gotta support Kane too as I don't see how we are winning 4 rounds without Kane being Kane

Reactions: Messrules11

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad