Kingston Frontenacs 2023-24 Off-Season Thread (Part 3)

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I’d like a top line of something like 1 Swick/Frasca or trade for a 1C/ Battaglia

if they get a 1C other than frasca move frasca down to line 2

2 Thibodeau/frasca/ Soto

3 McNamara/Hopkins/weir

4 Buttar/ one of the u18s or malholtra if he comes/cavallin

Defence I’d like them to pick up an OA rhd and draft a new rhd man to play top 4, sorry Chromiak but you’re a liability defensively.

Burns / McCoy

McGowan or velliaris / import

McGowan or Velliaris / williamson

Bye uens and Chromiak

Sztuska
Vaccari

Trades they need to make- Swick, McCoy, Sztuska. May have to trade Weir for Swick but I think they’d be fine if they got picks.

Also declare Maholtra defective and get that 1st rounder next year- trade him to some team like Guelph or London for lots of conditionals and watch him show up.

With the 3 OA’s you now have one in the forward group, defence and goaltending. So lots of experience.

Don’t know if Sztuska is a necessary move but it would definitely help to have lots of stability in net.

Also would have an extra import slot they would have open, could use it on a chance player in the second round or get someone who might show next year.
A #1 centre is must I think. Frasca can be LW1 or C2.
Uens is likely worth more to Kingston than he would return in trade.
I don’t think Anthony Romani, Colby Barlow or Daylyn Wakely will be traded until the trade deadline. The cost for Romani would be Mason McTavish like return which would likely be one or two 2007 born players (depending on the players offered), likely three, 2nds, three 3rds and a 4th. Barlow would likely be a 2007 born player two, 2nds, two 3rds and a 4th or a 5th. Wakely would likely cost a player plus a 2nd and two, 3rds or in a draft pick only trade it would be a Logan Morrison like return which would likely be two, 2nds, two, 3rds and two, 4ths. If the Petes trade Liam Sztuska the cost likely would a 3rd and either a 4th or 5th. Kingston will likely not to be able to much more than these trades if they pursue them given their draft pick situation.
I think NB would move the better of their 5-6 OAs early if the offer is right and the lesser OAs virtually worthless early.
There is not a comparable 2-way OA centre that I am aware of; and there are a couple of needy teams, so maybe in this case the early bird gets the worm?

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
Could also be a two player package heading to Kingston from the Petes. Jonathan Melee and Zach Bowen or Liam Sztuska.

I also think Wakely would be a great fit for the Fronts (would be perfect for any team frankly lol), but adding him would be great
I am sure the Petes will trade Liam Sztuska if Zack Bowen is able to become their starting goaltender. I am not sure what is going to happen with Jonathan Melee. If he was traded early in the season they may get what they got for Connor Lockhart and if it is at the deadline it may be more the return they got for Jax Dubois. I am not convinced they are going to trade him. I don’t think obtaining draft picks is the priority this season. I think they will look to acquiring players that will be part of the team for the next few years similar to the Grayden Strohack trade last year.

Reactions: frontsfan67

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Romani and Barlow for sure won’t be until around December/ January and if the fronts don’t get malholtra to commit I’m not sure they would get the deal done without atleast 1 of Hopkins and/or weir.

Wakely won’t go for as much I don’t think- an OA and not as skilled as either of those guys let alone a Rehkopf.

I think if they trade malholtra to London or Guelph he will commit there and they can get a lot of these picks from that.

Also I think they’ll trade atleast one of their 05s a year early as if they don’t- next year they’re going to have 7 going into 2025/2026 assuming burns and Miedema make the ahl at 20, Chromiak isn’t back as an OA and import lol that year, and uens and cavallin are still in the league

I wouldn’t mind them going for the Mem cup bid again in 2026/2027 lol. Kitchener is already going for it but wouldn’t make much sense right now as they’re gonna have 2 pretty competitive years and probably fall off a cliff for 2026/2027
wakley would be a top oa, thats probably more then 3 high picks. peer went for 5

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
wakley would be a top oa, thats probably more then 3 high picks. peer went for 5
I agree. I think Wakely will likely get a Logan Morrison like return if it is a draft pick only trade or a 2007 born player and less draft picks. I think North Bay is likely more interested in the draft picks as they only have one, 2nd and one, 3rd in the next three drafts.

Reactions: dirty12

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
It will be interesting to see the final offer. Some very good OA left forwards such as Allard, Guindon, Swick, VanSteensel, possibly Bryant or Delic will ultimately be traded; but as far as 2-way power right centres go, it might just be Wakely. It could take more, though I’ll guess it might be hard for NB to pass on an ‘07 RW like Weir, and (‘25) - 3rd, & 4th. If NB gets that, all if their immediate needs are met.

Last edited:

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Who does Kingston have that makes you think they're better off in 25-26 than 24-25? Kingston has no depth from the '06 year - all their depth is from '05s. Whether or not there will be more competition this year as opposed to next can't matter with how the team is constructed around '05s.
Looking at the team and the league, Here is what I see : YOu have 6 guys who can play on forward and nothing else.
The defence is questionable and will depend on how much Williamson and Vellaris develop over the summer. Chromiak and Uens are past their prime. Vaccari does not have a reliable backup.

The team can add players the problem is that the players they are going to want to add are also going to be coveted by other teams that need less. They may be good I just do not see them as Good as Bramton, Brantford or Oshawa.

Therefore, I think that looking at what you have coming back in 25, you will have a much better team that can dominate.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Romani and Barlow for sure won’t be until around December/ January and if the fronts don’t get malholtra to commit I’m not sure they would get the deal done without atleast 1 of Hopkins and/or weir.

Wakely won’t go for as much I don’t think- an OA and not as skilled as either of those guys let alone a Rehkopf.

I think if they trade malholtra to London or Guelph he will commit there and they can get a lot of these picks from that.

Also I think they’ll trade atleast one of their 05s a year early as if they don’t- next year they’re going to have 7 going into 2025/2026 assuming burns and Miedema make the ahl at 20, Chromiak isn’t back as an OA and import lol that year, and uens and cavallin are still in the league

I wouldn’t mind them going for the Mem cup bid again in 2026/2027 lol. Kitchener is already going for it but wouldn’t make much sense right now as they’re gonna have 2 pretty competitive years and probably fall off a cliff for 2026/2027
Forget about Malhotra. The best deal you will get is the same one the Ottawa got for Moldenhauer, and that was literally nothing.

You can also forget about trading for any of the star players. The last thing Cooper wants is to trade away all their future draft picks for a couple of rental players that might help.

Consider this: You get Wlakely and Brampton picks of Romani. You are back to where you were. This team needs defensive help more than it does forwards. It is also a reliable goaltending duo and I am not sure they are going to get that in Vaccadi and Salajko

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
Looking at the team and the league, Here is what I see : YOu have 6 guys who can play on forward and nothing else.
The defence is questionable and will depend on how much Williamson and Vellaris develop over the summer. Chromiak and Uens are past their prime. Vaccari does not have a reliable backup.

The team can add players the problem is that the players they are going to want to add are also going to be coveted by other teams that need less. They may be good I just do not see them as Good as Bramton, Brantford or Oshawa.

Therefore, I think that looking at what you have coming back in 25, you will have a much better team that can dominate.
Next season I see Brantford being the top team with the players they have returning and the assets to make the needed additions. Brampton will not be far behind with the players they have returning and assets available. Oshawa will be in contention but have limited resources to make many additions. Kingston and Barrie will battle for 4th. Niagara could be a wild card. Ottawa and Sudbury are likely going to go into a rebuild as will North Bay. Peterborough will continue their rebuild. I see Ottawa, Sudbury, North Bay and Peterborough battling for the last two playoff spots.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
Forget about Malhotra. The best deal you will get is the same one the Ottawa got for Moldenhauer, and that was literally nothing.

You can also forget about trading for any of the star players. The last thing Cooper wants is to trade away all their future draft picks for a couple of rental players that might help.
Fitzgerald signed with Pete’s after signing with Green Bay in the USHL. It’s a long time still before the season I say we wait it out on malholtra. They got until September I believe. Let’s see what happens.

If he does decide to come I’m sure it won’t be his forever home here. They could flip him for a good player like Barlow I’m sure obviously with picks and maybe one of Hopkins or weir.

I’d worry about filling the OAs first and wait and see what you have left after though.

Reactions: dirty12

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Fitzgerald signed with Pete’s after signing with Green Bay in the USHL. It’s a long time still before the season I say we wait it out on malholtra. They got until September I believe. Let’s see what happens.

If he does decide to come I’m sure it won’t be his forever home here. They could flip him for a good player like Barlow I’m sure obviously with picks and maybe one of Hopkins or weir.

I’d worry about filling the OAs first and wait and see what you have left after though.
Looking at the USHL he signed a tender agreement which assured that he was the property of that team instead of drafting him. Not sure it is the same. thing as Chilliwack which have stated that they have signed adn is committed to them

To me the best way to look at Malhotra is that he is gone
Move on and forget about him until next years draft.

As to OA, no matter what, the priority if you are going to compete is to get players to help the defence and add grit, but not to go crazy looking for studs.

I agree with petes1987 next year is not the year for the Frotns to push.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017

sept 30 is the date, but everyone seems to think it’s legit for a year at least

• Wow
Reactions: frontsfan67

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
sept 30 is the date, but everyone seems to think it’s legit for a year at least
Were the same people convinced about Fitzgerald?

Hoping the fronts can declare him defective then trade to get the best of both worlds with the comp first rounder and prob atleast 2 2nds and 2 3rds as conditionals for him showing up

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
Looking at the USHL he signed a tender agreement which assured that he was the property of that team instead of drafting him. Not sure it is the same. thing as Chilliwack which have stated that they have signed adn is committed to them

To me the best way to look at Malhotra is that he is gone
Move on and forget about him until next years draft.

As to OA, no matter what, the priority if you are going to compete is to get players to help the defence and add grit, but not to go crazy looking for studs.

I agree with petes1987 next year is not the year for the Frotns to push.
I agree with both of you about next year but again with the makeup of the team it doesn’t seem like they’re going to wait for their 9 05s to turn to OA when you can only keep 3 of them lol.

That’s why I’m saying it makes sense for them to go for it this year.

Me personally id want them to trade and get as much as they could for a run next year but I don’t think that’s very realistic. Also with the cards situation they only have so many they can use.

Don’t think they’re going to want to make 9 trades just because the following year they may have a better chance.

I think they’re going to take an impact RHD(preferably big) and a flyer with their second pick hoping that player will play here this year and next. Kinda like with pieniniemi but not wasting it 9th overall

I’d like them to move on from Chromiak but realistically he does have a year left and it’s tough to say what they’re going to do as I don’t have inside information on whatever is happening with him. For all we know they bring him back again next year. Same with uens.

leafs4life94

Jan 15, 2014

After next year they'll need to fill 1/3 to 1/2 of the roster with the 6-9 '05s they're losing. Going all in in 25-26 with that much turnover doesn't seem like a recipe for success.

They can't be scared of other teams or else they'll never go all in.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
After next year they'll need to fill 1/3 to 1/2 of the roster with the 6-9 '05s they're losing. Going all in in 25-26 with that much turnover doesn't seem like a recipe for success.

Exactly there is always good teams no matter the year. Realistically the last 2 years have been building up to this one.

Not gonna trade half the roster just cause some teams have lots of draft picks and may do lots of upgrading.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
I agree with both of you about next year but again with the makeup of the team it doesn’t seem like they’re going to wait for their 9 05s to turn to OA when you can only keep 3 of them lol.

That’s why I’m saying it makes sense for them to go for it this year.

Me personally id want them to trade and get as much as they could for a run next year but I don’t think that’s very realistic. Also with the cards situation they only have so many they can use.

Don’t think they’re going to want to make 9 trades just because the following year they may have a better chance.

I think they’re going to take an impact RHD(preferably big) and a flyer with their second pick hoping that player will play here this year and next. Kinda like with pieniniemi but not wasting it 9th overall

I’d like them to move on from Chromiak but realistically he does have a year left and it’s tough to say what they’re going to do as I don’t have inside information on whatever is happening with him. For all we know they bring him back again next year. Same with uens.
Your challenge is that in order to get the second pick in the Euro, they need to release Chromiak and Hemstrom.

I do agree, though, that they need an RHD. The best scenario, although not likely, is someone who will be draft-eligible next year and wants to come to CDA to show his skills more.

The main thing, though, is that the player they draft HAS TO BE REPORTING after the oops with Malhorta dnd Pienemi last year they need to gain back some cred with the fan base and get a good player that is going to sign right away. Hence, I would not draft a player that was drafted in this year's draft. there are too many unknowns, and the players have too many options.

Exactly there is always good teams no matter the year. Realistically the last 2 years have been building up to this one.

Not gonna trade half the roster just cause some teams have lots of draft picks and may do lots of upgrading.
I agree that this could be a good team, but the returning players must answer many questions.

Question 1
Are they going to have an RW that will play on a line and be a part of the line and not play his own game? Thib could be a prime subject to come down with Draftitis and think he has to make himself shine or say, F it I have been drafted, and go back to his selfish play.

Question 2

Will someone step up and be credible as a 2-3-4 line center? Hopkins has the opportunity to be a second-line center, but what do you have after that?

Question 3

What is the defence going to look like and will Williamson and Vellaris show the development to be able to compete?

Question 4

Will the Frotns find a Back up that can take some of the pressure to play every game away from Vaccari?

Question 5

Can this team stay close to the others without blowing things up? Consider that you really do not have a lot to offer for star players without giving up star players.

If they can answer YES for Questions 2, 4, and 5, then they can hopefully make the necessary trades to solve the other 2 at the deadline.

As to OA in 25/26 I really see only 5 OA players

Thibodeau
McNamara
Soto
McGowan
Vaccari

The others are all tradeable or probably not returning. You can not count Chromiak as an OA as most of us here are not sure he will be kept this year. He is definitely not going to play OA and Euro next year.

Miedma, if he has a good year, will be signed by the Sabres.

Uens Do you really need a midget OA defence man?

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
You are really over thinking it Beast.
What Kingston needs is a true #1 centre so they don’t get lit up by other teams’ top line. If Wakely is back for an OA season, get him immediately.
There is no real reason for Kingston to be concerned about what other teams in the east ‘covet’. Brantford, Oshawa, Sudbury have OAs and will be looking to shed excess. North Bay needs future assets for their excess. Brampton has voids to fill at RW. Niagara may go after a D, or just choose from the five OA options they have. The primary concern for Barrie is trimming the roster to a manageable number.
If there is a team to be concerned about going after the same players, it is probably Flint.
Thibodeau and Uens managed to get through three seasons without major injury as smaller players. The age 19-20 seasons is when you expect living with the growing pains of smaller players to pay dividends.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
You are really over thinking it Beast.
What Kingston needs is a true #1 centre so they don’t get lit up by other teams’ top line. If Wakely is back for an OA season, get him immediately.
There is no real reason for Kingston to be concerned about what other teams in the east ‘covet’. Brantford, Oshawa, Sudbury have OAs and will be looking to shed excess. North Bay needs future assets for their excess. Brampton has voids to fill at RW. Niagara may go after a D, or just choose from the five OA options they have. The primary concern for Barrie is trimming the roster to a manageable number.
If there is a team to be concerned about going after the same players, it is probably Flint.
Thibodeau and Uens managed to get through three seasons without major injury as smaller players. The age 19-20 seasons is when you expect living with the growing pains of smaller players to pay dividends.
I do not see 9 OA's at 2005 group.

I see

Thibodeau
McNamara
Soto
McGowan
Vaccari

Cavalin - all I have heard on here is that he should be let go
Chromiak - we are not even sure he is going to make it through the spring, let alone next year, and again, I do not see the team filling an OA and EURO spot with him.
Miedma should be Rochester-bound
Burns - Springfield if he signs if not then yes he could be a returning player
Uens - and OA that can not clear the net or go into the boards is a waste of skin considering who they might have someone coming back

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I do not see 9 OA's at 2005 group.

I see

Thibodeau
McNamara
Soto
McGowan
Vaccari

Cavalin - all I have heard on here is that he should be let go
Chromiak - we are not even sure he is going to make it through the spring, let alone next year, and again, I do not see the team filling an OA and EURO spot with him.
Miedma should be Rochester-bound
Burns - Springfield if he signs if not then yes he could be a returning player
Uens - and OA that can not clear the net or go into the boards is a waste of skin considering who they might have someone coming back
Honestly, who cares about ‘05s as OAs right now? Maybe NB because they have ‘05 R&L twin towers on D to go with 9-‘06 born?
I expect Vaccari, McNamara & McGown to be solid OAs; and Thibodeau & Uens to be very good OAs as it only gets easier for these smaller players as they get older, stronger, and more experienced while playing against younger, weaker, and inexperienced competition.

ScoutLife4

Nov 28, 2023
It had been confirmed to me that Pittsburgh will be assigning Emil Pieninemi to Kingston prior to the start of next season.
This is a huge win for Kingston's back end.

Other news:
Kingston is pursuing Wakely very aggressively. - I'm told he wants to go to Oshawa though.

Kingston has been going after Donovan Mccoy but Sudbury will not entertain trading him and only wants to move Mania or Collins. -I also know Donovan wants out of Sudbury badly and does not want to go back so this one may be interesting. -May go to highest bidder.

Also told Poole & Hayes will not be back.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
It had been confirmed to me that Pittsburgh will be assigning Emil Pieninemi to Kingston prior to the start of next season.

Other news:
Kingston is pursuing Wakely very aggressively. - I'm told he wants to go to Oshawa though.

Kingston has been going after Donovan Mccoy but Sudbury will not entertain trading him and only wants to move Mania or Collins. -I also know Donovan wants out of Sudbury badly and does not want to go back so this one may be interesting. -May go to highest bidder.

And that should explain to Beast why teams like Kingston, Kitchener (Mesar), Sudbury (Dvorsky), Barrie (Sale), …take swings high drafted NHL players in the import draft.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
Your challenge is that in order to get the second pick in the Euro, they need to release Chromiak and Hemstrom.

As much as I like hemstrom and would support him coming back as an OA. The last time the fronts did that was with grubauer I believe and it’s because that’s what (Washington?) wanted for him to stay in NA.

Hemstrom will probably jump on a SHL contract assuming he gets one. He’s good enough to play pro hockey- just not sure if he will be good enough for the NHL one day.

Chromiak just simply is not what they traded for. He was supposed to turn into something real good but he is arguably the worst defenceman (defensively) on the team- right up there with uens. I want them to get a bigger d man and right shot that won’t be a pylon in the d zone. If the fronts didn’t want him back I think some team would pick him up in the OHL for a year- but for the fronts there is better options.
The main thing, though, is that the player they draft HAS TO BE REPORTING
100% agree. Have taken too many chances that haven’t worked out in recent years. McCarthy, pieniniemi, potentially malholtra.

Need someone that will come here, if they can’t find anyone they may run it back with Chromiak.
Question 1
Are they going to have an RW that will play on a line and be a part of the line and not play his own game? Thib could be a prime subject to come down with Draftitis and think he has to make himself shine or say, F it I have been drafted, and go back to his selfish play.
May be an unpopular opinion but I thought thibodeau was a lot better in the last 10-15 games of the season including playoffs. He’s a small player and right around a ppg. You have guys like Justin Poirier In the Q that lit the league up and playoffs that are rated like 3rd/4th round. Maybe Thibodeau gets a 7th round selection but I’m not convinced about that. He will get an invite to a camp though I guarantee that just like how Soto did last year with the pens.
Question 2

Will someone step up and be credible as a 2-3-4 line center? Hopkins has the opportunity to be a second-line center, but what do you have after that?
McNamara would be a 1st liner on some of the bad teams in the league. 2nd liner on a lot of the other teams in the league. With us he may be our 3rd line centre. We’re going to have 3 good forward lines to role with- that won’t be a problem. The rest of the team is a “?” Though.
Question 3

What is the defence going to look like and will Williamson and Vellaris show the development to be able to compete?
Hoping atleast one of them if not both have really good summers for developing.

think Williamson will be better to start the year but by the end of it- could be velliaris. They drafted him because he was a mobile big d man who can play the shutdown role- he can do that well, now the question is how much of an impact offensively will he have and will it get him top line minutes.
Question 4

Will the Frotns find a Back up that can take some of the pressure to play every game away from Vaccari?
Hoping Betts can step in and be able to play about 20-25 games his rookie year here if not Betts then Salajko has to make massive improvements.
Question 5

Can this team stay close to the others without blowing things up? Consider that you really do not have a lot to offer for star players without giving up star players.
I think that there will be a decent gap between the divisional leaders and the second placed /third placed teams but after 3rd there will be a big gap
If they can answer YES for Questions 2, 4, and 5, then they can hopefully make the necessary trades to solve the other 2 at the deadline.
I think at the deadline they pick up atleast 1 good OA for sure
As to OA in 25/26 I really see only 5 OA players

Thibodeau
McNamara
Soto
McGowan
Vaccari

The others are all tradeable or probably not returning. You can not count Chromiak as an OA as most of us here are not sure he will be kept this year. He is definitely not going to play OA and Euro next year.

Miedma, if he has a good year, will be signed by the Sabres.

Uens Do you really need a midget OA defence man?
I think the same about Miedema, Chromiak and uens but I’m just saying they’re 05s currently on the roster so can’t count them out yet.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022

Other news:

Thanks Scout. Huge news about pieniniemi. Wonder if they keep Chromiak or use that high pick to roll the dice on another d man.

Not surprised one bit about wakely. Oshawa beat them out and will be even better next year. Kingston and him have a bit of a rivalry lol.

I expected them to go out on McCoy. Hope they can get something done.

I expected that about Poole and Heyes. Wonder if some young team picks them up for vet experience and help on the pk

Reactions: ScoutLife4

ScoutLife4

Nov 28, 2023
Thanks Scout. Huge news about pieniniemi. Wonder if they keep Chromiak or use that high pick to roll the dice on another d man.

Not surprised one bit about wakely. Oshawa beat them out and will be even better next year. Kingston and him have a bit of a rivalry lol.

I expected that about Poole and Heyes. Wonder if some young team picks them up for vet experience and help on the pk

One other note that caught me very off guard.
Kingston believes in Vaccari and at this time have him penned in to be the starting tendy again this season. (cooper loves him)

Plan for Betts is to start the season in JR A that he’s not ready for OHL.
I forgot to ask about Hemmy and Chromiak but I will find out shortly.
I would guess Hemmy stays and Chromiak goes back to Europe.

ScoutLife4

Nov 28, 2023

I think at this point McCoy may be a mid season trade if Sudbury starts out poorly and Kingston is looking like a contender.
They will need his leadership and championship experience if they want to make a playoff run.
I would prioritize a larger goalie over McCoy myself.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad