Kitchener Rangers 2023-24 Off-Season Thread (Part 2)

Jives

Jan 6, 2018
Adding Anstis.

Will still will be adding an import (maybe 2) I imagine.

2 OAs still need to be traded.

We have now reached the max 2008 that can play for us so no more signings (not to full time roster spots anyways).

Forwards - 16
Defence - 7
Goalies - 3

OA - 3
Swick
Pug
Misa
2005 - 3
Rehkopf
Sale
Mercer
2006 - 3
Ellinas
Bott
Hlacar
2007 - 4
Lam
Romano
Stark
Paquette
2008 - 3
Headrick
Cameron
Anstis

2005 - 2
Ando
Savard
2006 - 2
Campbell
Dirracolo
2007 - 2
Reid
MacNeil
2008 - 1
Bilecki

OA - 2
Parsons
Malboeuf
2007 - 1
Edwards

Last edited:

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
My stab at a depth chart:

My lineup out of camp:

I expect Sale and Rehkopf to be returned and I only included signed players.

Sale. Rehkropf. Miseljevic.
Swick. Romano. Lam.
Bottineau. Ellinas. Arquette.
Stark. Cameron. Anstis.
Hlacar. Headrick.

Andonovski. Reid.
Savard. Campbell.
Dirracolo. MacNiel.
Bilecki.

Parsons
Edwards.

Even though it would be my choice to go with a duo of Malboeuf / Edwards in goal, I see MM going with Parsons over Malboeuf in an effort to give the team better chances to stay in games (ie Parker VanBuskirk), though I feel Malboeuf could do the same. In any event, this has to be dealt with one way or the other long before camp.

Out of camp, it’ll be crowded up front, so I moved out Mercer in an effort to free up more minutes at centre for Romano. So getting down to three OA’s sooner than later makes a ton of sense.

I think we’d get the best return for Swick at the deadline. So I could see us moving out one of Miseljevic or Pugilese early on. That way, if and when Swick is moved at the deadline, there’s room for Swick’s spot be filled by an OA D at a bargain. We have a young D. Really young. I think picking up an OA D pays dividends down the road.

Could the Hlacar signing make Pugilese expendable? It just might. I like Pugliese, but unless MM gets wowed by an early offer for Swick, I can see Pug being the odd guy out. I understand we need the physicality, but Swick will bring that until the deadline and if Miseljevic has the start he had last year, he’ll have value both as a Ranger and maybe at the deadline. Now especially with Anstis signed, I see Pug moving on and we bring in that OA D. We only have 7 D signed and there’s a lot of youth back there. In any case, I expect us to get down to three OA’s a month into the season at the latest.

I have Ellinas at center. He showed well when used there last year. He’ll move up the lineup post trade deadline. He’ll interchange with Romano on line two and three. Maybe after the deadline, he’ll move into a spot vacated by Sale or Swick.

I’ve moved Mercer because there’s just no room for a player who IMO, has underachieved.

No other import included on this roster yet. If Pobezal reports, he’s a center and would have to play top six minutes I’d think. Further reason to move Mercer.

I’ve moved out Mercer, Pugliese and Malboeuf for minimal return.

By the time the deadline passes, I see Rehkopf, Sale, Swick, and Andonovski moved as well but for huge return. Those four out, and likely three bodies in. Along with the OA D I mentioned above, and along with a ton of picks, I expect a couple of quality young players. A forward and d-man.

Last edited:
Reactions: RB76 and Gondrex

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Xu 6th round to Sioux falls
I think there’s some optimism for the Rangers there, no? Wouldn’t he have gone higher in that draft had he been for sure USHL bound?

I wonder if they try and find a home for Labrash in the OJ or GOJHL this year if he’s open to it.
I think he’ll have a hard time cracking our roster. But you never know. To be honest, I thought that Giordano looked better. But I’ll never be accused of being the best scout in the world.

Reactions: East Avenue Bully

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
Xu 6th round to Sioux falls
1715037095326.png

Corso

Aug 13, 2018
I think there’s some optimism for the Rangers there, no? Wouldn’t he have gone higher in that draft had he been for sure USHL bound?

If he was intent on going the USHL route he would have gone much earlier so he probably is mulling his options.

Habsrule

Jun 13, 2004
This will be a really difficult off season for the Rangers. They are at a crossroads where they have to decide to either go complete rebuild or do they retool and try to make the playoffs.

Swick is 100% the only OA I am full confidence that he will be on the team.

With their goalies I see both sides. Parsons will keep the team in games more than Malboeuf. Parsons also has trade value. Malboeuf has no trade value as he has not really proven to be a great OHL goalie. He is good don’t get me wrong but the majority of OA goalies are among the best goalies in the league. But if the plan is to get Edwards more playing time than Malboeuf is the best goalie to split time with.

One more option is to carry a third goalie. Whenever Edwards gets the start you just have your OA goalie sit out as a healthy scratch. That way you can play the three OA forwards.

Miseljevic or Pugliese is a tough choice. If the Rangers are trying to have a better season then Miseljevic brings more offence. If they are trying to rebuild then Pugliese is the better player to have your young kids learn work ethic from.

I think the biggest question mark would be is Ahokas willing to have a full blown sell off year? He said it and we all know it that he has NHL aspirations. If he has another Rangers team overachieve then I’m sure that NHL organizations will notice and have some interest in him in some capacity.

Do you keep Sale and let him play top line minutes and hopefully rack up the points? He would have better trade value at the deadline. Do you trade him early to a team that is looking to fill an import spot?

Do you trade Rehkopf early or let him light the league on fire again? If the Rangers keep him until the deadline I am sure that he will be around the same goal scoring pace as this past year. That alone will give the Rangers numerous wins by himself. That way he can represent Kitchener for Canada at the World Juniors. Or do you trade him early and embrace the rebuild and hopefully get some 17 year old player at the start of the year to build the core with?

Andonvski is the last big fish but I feel they need to trade him closer to the trade deadline. The defence to start the year is very young and they need Andonvski back there for stability. He will play lots of minutes until the young kids get more comfortable. Plus he is the type of player that every team would love to have in the playoffs. Big, physical and defensive. Those types of players gel with new teams much faster than offensive players. There will be a bidding war for him.

Mercer should get traded as he is 19 but I don’t think expect too much for him. I see him as more of a deadline type of trade. He is a bottom six forward and I can’t see a team targeting him to start the year off in a trade. Closer to the deadline I can see a team looking at him for depth who can kill penalties.

Savard should get some trade interest. I’m assuming that Sale and Savard were traded for as 18 year olds so that way they can be traded as 19 year olds to get their value back in return.

Reactions: Rangers True Blue

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
With the Rangers at 4 2008 signed…I’d imagine he looks at different options than the Rangers.
We’ll never know. But it’s possible he’d have been the 4th guy signed if he wanted to sign right away. Maybe we gave him an amount of time, then we went with Anstis? Maybe wanted to get Anstis signed before the USHL draft?

Lots of questions.

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
If Rangers want Xu and he's willing, do they look at moving Savard? If not Xu, do they go for a D in the Import Draft? Perhaps, there's a Finnish D that Jussi is eyeing?

Say Pobezal joins the Rangers. Who do you move to make room for him? Would there be a team who's interested in Sale? Or do you look at Mercer?

There's a lot of moving parts for sure.

Mar 12, 2009
If Rangers want Xu and he's willing, do they look at moving Savard? If not Xu, do they go for a D in the Import Draft? Perhaps, there's a Finnish D that Jussi is eyeing?

Say Pobezal joins the Rangers. Who do you move to make room for him? Would there be a team who's interested in Sale? Or do you look at Mercer?

There's a lot of moving parts for sure.
Savard is irrelevant to Xu, they already have 4 16 year olds signed, Xu won't be playing here the full year (would be like MacNeil last year) I believe.

Reactions: EvenSteven

Jives

Jan 6, 2018
Savard is irrelevant to Xu, they already have 4 16 year olds signed, Xu won't be playing here the full year (would be like MacNeil last year) I believe.

You are correct. Xu can’t play a full season this year. He would be allowed 10 games I believe plus emergency call up (injuries or world juniors).

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Xu can’t play full time til next year now. Our D is very young. Once Ando is moved, Savard will be our oldest D. We need him here this year and next. That’s why I see us picking up an OA D on the cheap by the deadline.

I don’t see room for Mercer whether Pobezal comes or not. Some may use the same argument I did for keeping Savard. But where do you play him? Pre deadline, I have Rehkopf, Romano ahead of him and Pobezal if he comes. Does it make sense to use him in the bottom six? We need to free up development minutes for Cameron and Headrick.

Reactions: bobber and Gondrex

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Xu can’t play full time til next year now. Our D is very young. Once Ando is moved, Savard will be our oldest D. We need him here this year and next. That’s why I see us picking up an OA D on the cheap by the deadline.

I don’t see room for Mercer whether Pobezal comes or not. Some may use the same argument I did for keeping Savard. But where do you play him? Pre deadline, I have Rehkopf, Romano ahead of him and Pobezal if he comes. Does it make sense to use him in the bottom six? We need to free up development minutes for Cameron and Headrick.
Mercer needs to go to another team IMO. Seem to spin his wheels here. No need to have him taking developmental time from a prospect. Most of Mercer's penalties were stick infractions. No physicality to his game and points weren't great. Maybe a change of scenery might get him going. I think he leveled out.

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
Elijah Roberts new coach KW Siskins
Good for Elijah. As Chuck Noll used to say he's getting on with his life's work instead of kicking around in the minors for a few years. Plus whatever other career path he's chosen. Good on him for taking advantage of the education package and now keeping his hand in the game.

Best of luck. I'm betting he makes a fine coach.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Good for Elijah. As Chuck Noll used to say he's getting on with his life's work instead of kicking around in the minors for a few years. Plus whatever other career path he's chosen. Good on him for taking advantage of the education package and now keeping his hand in the game.

Best of luck. I'm betting he makes a fine coach.
Great young man. I'm sure with all the hockey he has behind him he will do well coaching.

Last edited:

Gondrex

Apr 10, 2017
Does anyone have the latest on what we have for draft picks going forward - rounds 2 to 5 ?
Getting a full set of '25's back is obviously important, but in my opinion, getting next season's 2nd rounder, and even 3rd in particular is a priority some how / some way. If we're able to get an '08 via trade it may make it a bit less important I suppose one could argue.

Jives

Jan 6, 2018
Does anyone have the latest on what we have for draft picks going forward - rounds 2 to 5 ?
Getting a full set of '25's back is obviously important, but in my opinion, getting next season's 2nd rounder, and even 3rd in particular is a priority some how / some way. If we're able to get an '08 via trade it may make it a bit less important I suppose one could argue.

It’s not good….

2025 we don’t have a 2nd to 6th round.
2026 we don’t have a 2nd to 5th and no 7th and 8th.
2027 we don’t have 2nd to 5th.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Now that’s an avatar!!

Reactions: Gondrex

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad