Proposal: Laf to Montreal

smoneil

Jul 14, 2004
Arkansas
Habs will take laf off of NYR hands. In return it will free up money so they can sign stamkos. Win win

Nah, we're good. Oddly, the Rangers screwing around with his development has led to the benefit that they have a guy who can put up 50+ points at even strength for less than 3% of their cap. I have no idea if Laf wants Montreal as much as Montreal seems to covet French Canadian players, but if so, the golden opportunity would be via an offer sheet in summer of 2025.

Last edited:

bud12

Oct 8, 2012
Your argument is incongruent. The shooting % angle would only apply to try to say the player has been unlucky, not that the player is worse for other reasons, such as a previous injury. If a surgery from 14 months ago is still ailing him, it’s hard to argue that he’ll ever be back to what he was before.
I've put Caufield there to show that the context narrative need to apply for both player and both team. And some have fallen right into it by pumping laf ev pts and no pp times without even tcheking as to why Caufield had only 20goals. Rangers fans like the narrative that laf is a better 5v5 player than any mtl foward. But if you put laf on the habs, is ev production would drop considerably.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
I've put Caufield there to show that the context narrative need to apply for both player and both team. And some have fallen right into it by pumping laf ev pts and no pp times without even tcheking as to why Caufield had only 20goals. Rangers fans like the narrative that laf is a better 5v5 player than any mtl foward. But if you put laf on the habs, is ev production would drop considerably.
I don’t know about that. Suzuki is a good center man. It’s not like Laf doesn’t create his own chances or depend on a Panarin pass for every goal he scores.
It would be interesting to see for sure. All we can do is speculate 1way or the other

Nickmo82

Mar 31, 2012
Japan
Hello moderators. Question: is the trade proposal board supposed to be where fans from Team A propose a trade for player X, get told no thanks, then throw a weird tantrum and argue that player X is actually trash? And then it repeats ad nauseum for 13 pages?

Is there anything of any merit going on here?

Habs fans (initially) wanted Laf. NYR fans said take a hike. It's over. Why is the dumpster fire thread still open?

General Fanager

Feb 2, 2010
Chambly, Qc
Hello moderators. Question: is the trade proposal board supposed to be where fans from Team A propose a trade for player X, get told no thanks, then throw a weird tantrum and argue that player X is actually trash? And then it repeats ad nauseum for 13 pages?

Is there anything of any merit going on here?

Habs fans (initially) wanted Laf. NYR fans said take a hike. It's over. Why is the dumpster fire thread still open?
A select few want him. Dont get carried away.....

General Fanager

Feb 2, 2010
Chambly, Qc
Laff’s jerseys will be in the rafters when all is said and done.

By the time laff’s tenure with the rangers ends he likely will accomplish the following all in a rangers uniform

- 1,000+ games
- top 5 leading scorer in franchise history
- captain
- #13 retired
Yikes, not to rain on the party here but don't you think all that is a bit premature??

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
The narrative that slaf is younger in their d2 season lol? He turned 20 today

Rangers fan will call victory after 1 games but it will take more than that to erase the dissapointment of 4 years. Good on laf for breaking the 50pts mark finally.
The other poster was comparing their D+2 seasons. Try to keep up.

We didn't start this thread, nor did we bring Slaf into it. These threads are always started by Montreal fans who have a hard-on for French Canadian players, then when they get the inevitable pushback from Ranger fans, they tell us that Laf sucks.

Let me make it really easy for you and every other Montreal fan. Laf will NEVER play for Montreal.

General Fanager

Feb 2, 2010
Chambly, Qc
The other poster was comparing their D+2 seasons. Try to keep up.

We didn't start this thread, nor did we bring Slaf into it. These threads are always started by Montreal fans who have a hard-on for French Canadian players, then when they get the inevitable pushback from Ranger fans, they tell us that Laf sucks.

Let me make it really easy for you and every other Montreal fan. Laf will NEVER play for Montreal.

You cant possibly know that he wont...just like I dont know that he will.

SixGoalieSystem

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2011
Trondheim
What a silly thread.

The Rangers are not trading Laf anytime soon. If they blow it in the playoffs again and lose in the first round, there might be a shakeup, but barring an obscene overpay, Laf won't be part of said shakeup, he will be seen as a future leader of the team.

Both Slaf and Laf will be significant players for their respective teams. Who will have the most impact is too soon to tell.

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
The amount of people that don’t understand the impact of power play vs even strength on total scoring is legitimately hilarious.

We’re talking McDavid / MacKinnon / Kucherov having 30 less points if they have Lafreniere power play usage.

It matters. Lafreniere is easily a 75+ point player if he gets utilized on the power play.

Trocheck is the lowest scoring Rangers PP1 producer at 23 points. Lafreniere has 6 PP points.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
The amount of people that don’t understand the impact of power play vs even strength on total scoring is legitimately hilarious.

We’re talking McDavid / MacKinnon / Kucherov having 30 less points if they have Lafreniere power play usage.

It matters. Lafreniere is easily a 75+ point player if he gets utilized on the power play.

Trocheck is the lowest scoring Rangers PP1 producer at 23 points. Lafreniere has 6 PP points.
Yup. There’s a lot of value to players who produce offence while 5 on 5 and are a plus on the old plus/minus. Clubs that have these guys are often the better ones.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Personally, I'd like to find a way to get Slafkovsky on the Rangers so I had both players as well.

They are both good youngsters getting better.

The pissing contest that this has developed into is pretty comical in a sad way.

LaffyTaffy13

May 10, 2022
Yikes, not to rain on the party here but don't you think all that is a bit premature??
I dont. Hes 22 years old and in 2 weeks he will have already played 300 games with the rangers.

Hes already has 143 points and to make top 5 he will just need 691 total or about 550 more. If he plays only 10 more years with the rangers til hes 32 hed have to average 55 points a year to do so.

Lastly hes one of the most well liked players on the team and shows up every night, hes a future captain

General Fanager

Feb 2, 2010
Chambly, Qc
I dont. Hes 22 years old and in 2 weeks he will have already played 300 games with the rangers.

Hes already has 143 points and to make top 5 he will just need 691 total or about 550 more. If he plays only 10 more years with the rangers til hes 32 hed have to average 55 points a year to do so.

Lastly hes one of the most well liked players on the team and shows up every night, hes a future captain
Once again I hate to rain on your party but those are all hopes and possibilities if things go well. There are countless things that could derail any or all of those things you mentioned. Anyways like I said its way premature to talk like that about him...

Reactions: pth2

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
Laff’s jerseys will be in the rafters when all is said and done.

By the time laff’s tenure with the rangers ends he likely will accomplish the following all in a rangers uniform

- 1,000+ games
- top 5 leading scorer in franchise history
- captain
- #13 retired
Lol. He’s a fine middle-sixer who before last night’s game against a team recently coming off a 14 game losing streak was on pace for 52 points in his fourth full season.

Reactions: viceroy

MakeTheGoalsLarger

Dec 9, 2011
Antarctica

Yeah I saw that when Danault was our "1st line center".

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
the coach would give him plenty of pp time if he was good. Swapping him with kreider, zib or trotchek from time to time would not affect their pp at all because we all know panarin and fox are the main caracter. This is common sense
Trocheck takes the draws. They aren't swapping Zibby out no matter how many times he misses the net or fumbles the puck. Kreider is also the net front guy and one of the best at it. They're trying to win games and typically don't blow teams out by a a big lead. (Hence being 2nd in comeback wins).

Coaches aren't changing a powerplay that works just to swap players in and out. It's not happening. It may happen on a non-contending team, but it's not happening with a team that besides that Laf/Tro/Panarin line, struggles to score 5 on 5. Fans can push for it and we'll have that "what if he got more powerplay time" speculation, but right now it's not happening.

Some of the fans here act like Lafrenière chose not to play for your team.

Reactions: LaffyTaffy13

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
NYR fans entering the thread after the game last night.

giphy.gif

EDIT: I am aware that Vince is a piece of crap. But I find it difficult to never use this gif again.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Lol. He’s a fine middle-sixer who before last night’s game against a team recently coming off a 14 game losing streak was on pace for 52 points in his fourth full season.
There’s about 10 pages of description/nuance/cause and affect as to why his totals are lower.

Give bedard 10-20 seconds of PP time with a 2nd unit and no set up time and see if has an effect on his point totals??? And this isn’t a shot at Bedard. He’s fantastic btw.

Put Laf on a bottom feeder team, give him 1 PP time with legit talent and you’ll see a reflection in his point totals to be sure.
Hes having a hell of a season at 5v5 with tro and bread this year…

The guy makes an impact every time he’s on the ice for a team at the top of the standings. He may be behind his peers point total wise currently, but that’s what happens when the team you play for is in the playoffs constantly looking to compete for a cup…..
Even when NYR had their mini rebuild and dealt players like McD and Zucc etc
There wasn’t 3-4-5 seasons in between playoff appearances.
Laf has been getting a crash course on what it takes to play for a top tier team….. that is invaluable for players…..

There’s really no point in explaining it further. You either understand or you don’t.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008

On a mediocre PP, where a guy averages 110-120 on the PP, the player should get about a 20-25 pt bump in stats…
on a top tier PP like in NY, it’s closer to 30 pts.
It’s not rocket science or a reach to establish that given the opportunity Laf would be sitting around 75-80 pts this season if he replaced Zibby on the PP from the get go…. But I digress

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Laf and Slaf can both be good up and coming players. It doesn't have to be an either or situation. I think every team in the NHL would like to have both guys. 😊

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Remind me last time Rangers went to Stanley Cup finale? Or even won a cup (you know, the thing that matters in hockey)? I wouldn’t act so above Montreal in terms of signifiant winning if I was a Rangers fan.
Finals was 2014, and last time won was the year after the habs last won.

Reactions: GAGLine

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad