Confirmed with Link: Lindy Ruff named Head Coach, Press Conference at 1:00 PM EDT

Samsonite23

All Hail King Tuch
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
Downtown Buffalo
He’ll set the tone, that’s for sure.

It’s hilarious how this was the best hire since Lindy left. And it fell right into their lap.

It meets the requirements we need, and it comes in the form of a guy who loves and knows more about the city and what “it means to be a Sabre” (as Adams would say) more than any other human on planet Earth. Can’t hate it.

Last edited:

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
“I want a hard nosed coach who won’t put up with the slow starts and shit PP and makes them work…and they had better have an ability to coach a system that fits the fast tempo style we’ve been building for years”

…oh great news there’s a guy who fits that perfe…

“And it can’t be Lindy”

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Jay McKee was actually my choice as outside the box HC but they want old school. Cheese has done great work with the Bulldogs. The other possibility since he's got deep ties to Ruff is James Patrick, ex bench boss of the Ice and current head man for the Victoria Royals in the WHL.

I'd be fine with either (or both)......but would either leave their CHL HC jobs to come here?

Hell......maybe we can sell McKee on "Be Lindy's assistant and if all goes well, you're the next HC"

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
I'm torn on this.

On the one hand it feels like Terry didn't conduct a real search and is just hiring yet another person that he's familiar with and has a history with the Sabres.

On the other hand Lindy is actually a good coach.

If Lindy had the exact same resume, but with other teams instead of the Sabres, I'd be thrilled with the hire.
my opinion of Lindy has grown since he left Buffalo. 50 win seasons with 2 different teams.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I'd be fine with either (or both)......but would either leave their CHL HC jobs to come here?

Hell......maybe we can sell McKee on "Be Lindy's assistant and if all goes well, you're the next HC"

There are reports McKee might be behind the Sens bench next fall.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Maybe, maybe not.

Friedman has talked about GM's talking to candidates before they fire their coach. They want to know that they have someone "better" as a replacement.

KA could have been talking to available candidates for a while.

Or

Maybe he knew what he was looking for....
And that's what Terry was looking for in a head coach...

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
He’ll set the tone that’s for sure.

It’s hilarious how this was the best hire since Lindy left. And it fell right into their lap.

It meets the requirements we need, and it comes in the form of a guy who loves and knows more about the city and what “it means to be a Sabre” (as Adams would say) more than any other human on planet Earth. Can’t hate it.
He'll only be as useful as how much the players buy into what he's selling.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
This feels less like a search and more like a speed dial.

It also explains why Matt Ellis was kept
Matt Ellis was kept because he was a great skills development coach who doesn’t belong on an NHL bench. And now he won’t be on one.

Reactions: Der Jaeger

BG82

Jan 25, 2008
Niagara Falls
Heart and soul player.. Time to cement his Buffalo legacy

Everytime I here his name I think of Chris Neil hit on Drury then Ruff unleashing the hounds of hell..

This was the last old time decision and the definition of leadership from behind the bench

Reactions: SabresFan26

RobRayzor

Jun 23, 2016
Helsinki
Okay, let's see who his assistants are going to be.
Maybe KA will downgrade himself? 😂
IMG_5926.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: VaporTrail

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
I am reasonably optimistic about this but I do want a reasonable proficient special teams coach and a bigger energizer bunny up front.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad