Confirmed with Link: Locker Room Exit Interviews Monday May 6 (Players and Keefe) + Pelley/Shanny/Tre on Friday VIDEO LINK PG 57

Will Keefe be fired next week?

• Yes

Votes: 293 85.9%
  • No

Votes: 48 14.1%

• Total voters

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
So, how much worse would the team have been if they had played?

Option 1 is they’re completely making shit up, in which case none of this matters and you need to trade them asap

Option 2 is taking them at their word when one says he couldn’t see and the other got pulled by team doctors after 2 periods of looking noticeably slow and weak compared to game 2

Maybe Nylander could have just trusted the force and shot blind I guess, couldn’t be that much worse than Marner’s muffins. I’d rather have the middle class guys we’re paying good money step up and play an extra minute or two a piece myself. The particular combination of Dewar, Jarnkrok, Robertson, Holmberg, Kampf, Reaves on the 4th line doesn’t really matter when the least shitty one needs to move up a line for a game or two.

WillNy29

Jun 20, 2018
I am not minimizing the gravity of his condition. I thought it was handled poorly by all involved, both his and Matthews condition. I am afraid I also do question their committment. I'm a real old-timer and visions of Bobby Baun playing with a broken leg and scoring the'64 OT SC winner keep dancing through my head.
bobby baun's broken leg didn't have him losing vision like Nylander or losing 10 pounds in the series like Matthews come on now

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
bobby baun's broken leg didn't have him losing vision like Nylander or losing 10 pounds in the series like Matthews come on now

I’m sure the broken leg is worse, the main thing is if Baun sits out there aren’t high end professional athletes that have been training in multiple slots in your system for years ready to move up and do an ok job. Baun on a broken leg over a farm team guy that works a full time job and chainsmokes makes sense back then but it’s a different world now.

Reactions: WillNy29

WillNy29

Jun 20, 2018
I’m sure the broken leg is worse, the main thing is if Baun sits out there aren’t high end professional athletes that have been training in multiple slots in your system for years ready to move up and do an ok job. Baun on a broken leg over a farm team guy that works a full time job and chainsmokes makes sense back then but it’s a different world now.
of course a broken leg is worse but the world is much different now. Plus not being able to see is f***ed how do you even play like that lol.

I heard somewhere Matthews had Norovirus. If that's true then that is f***ed.

keonsbitterness

Sep 14, 2010
south of Steeles
So, how much worse would the team have been if they had played?
Probably a lot worse since his vision was compromised
Baun had a broken bone above his ankle that they were able to tape and freeze it. Not like he had a Joe Theismann injury.

Last edited:
Reactions: WillNy29

Squiffy

Victims, rn't we all
Oct 21, 2006
Toronto
It’s just different now. Docs are serious and independent and answerable, think insurance, if the doc says I can’t let this guy play, that’s it.

Brown Dog

Jun 23, 2007
Put me down as someone who has some empathy for Shanahan's arc here. He came in and almost completely cleaned house throughout the organization, committed to a full tear-down and traditional rebuild--something so many Leaf fans were begging for for years. It was so refreshing and exciting!

I liked his vision of bringing in an up-and-coming hockey mind (Dubas) and pairing him with a living legend (Lou).

I was even on board with his plan to give Dubas the keys when it looked like we might lose him to another organization. Having a young GM with a vision to match our young skilled core made sense to me and felt like a bold stroke by Shanahan.

Obviously time and reality have shown Dubas to be a hack and I wish that we had tried a more traditional approach coming out of our rebuild. But I can understand what Shanahan was trying to do and I can appreciate it, because I was on board at the time too. And his approach to building didn't seem based in the kind of stodgy by-the-book thinking that kept this franchise in a state of perpetual mediocrity or worse. It felt like he was trying to push us to somewhere special.

I can even, to some extent, understand his commitment to "patience," as he kept calling it, with the core after multiple playoff failures. Even when it felt like changes were needed, I was willing to buy the thinking that we were close, that we had a uniquely talented core, and that massive changes were just as likely to lead to a step back.

But even for someone willing to cut Shanahan some slack, Friday's press conference was not encouraging. I feel like he came in armed with his catchphrase of "there is a time for patience and there is a time to look at making changes..." and seemed surprised and unprepared when people expected more and more specific answers than that.

I would feel more comfortable if Treliving is the one to guide meaningful on-ice changes going forward.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Having a young GM with a vision to match our young skilled core made sense to me
That's emotional logic, not reality.
And his approach to building didn't seem based in the kind of stodgy by-the-book thinking that kept this franchise in a state of perpetual mediocrity or worse. It felt like he was trying to push us to somewhere special.
That's marketing by Kyle about himself. It's not reality. Basic mistakes like rushing the rebuild with Tavares were more important that Kyle marketing he knows some advanced stats. The internal salary explosion by bringing in a 11AAV UFA was predictably a bad thing.
I can even, to some extent, understand his commitment to "patience,"
He needed time because his plan was a disaster.

Kyle created a poorly constructed team. He overpaid forwards to the detriment of the rest of the team. Essentially when the Leafs are scored on, they have the most expensive "watching on the bench" AAV witnessing the goal. That's poor design.

Kyle's design was bad. But I'm sure he's learned alot like the rookie president, rookie coach and the young core.

Reactions: 57 Years No Cup

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
It was also misdiagnosed at the time - he thought it was just a pinched nerve.

The Masters

Jun 30, 2018
Myrtle on JD bunkis this morning says Board thinks highly of Treliving.
There was a thought they could move ahead without Shanny and just have Tre/Pelley run things (which was first reported by Friedman). This is still on the table at the end of the year. Likely why Shanny had zero emotion at presser.

I like others feel like they should have just turned the page on Shanny. His plan did not work. Time to move on for everyone involved. I expect it happens end of year with Tre staying on.

Last edited:

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Myrtle on JD bunkis this morning says Board thinks highly of Treliving.
There was a thought they could move ahead without Shanny and just have Tre/Pelley run things (which was first reported by Friedman). This is still on the table at the end of the year. Likely why Shanny had zero emotion at presser.

I like others feel like they should have just turned the page on Shanny. His plan did not work. Time to move on for everyone involved. I expect it happens end of year with Tre staying on.

BT is friends with LarryT. They did that so that BT will just report on Shanahan obviously. He has been put under scrutiny since that day. No doubt Keeping MM and Keefe was Shanahan. No sane GM would have let the Keefe situation go on.

He probably knows jack about hockey but lots about jacking up profits.
He lost a ton of money on the media deal so they put him in charge of the organization that can not possibly lose.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad