Value of: Montreal Trading Down at the Draft

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
The Flames are in no position to give up picks to only move up a few slots. We need more picks, not less. Many of us have told you already multiple times - we are more than happy with those that will be available at 9.
You Canadiens fans need to give up this fantasy of the Flames sending you a golden haul so you maybe don't pick IGINLA.
Habs fans are happy and hoping to pick with 5OA. Its Flames fans coming in with embarrassing offers …

Reactions: Qwijibo

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
Its a trade forum. No one is desperately doing anything. The chances of the Habs or any team in the top 5 moving back is slim to none. Unless there is a compelling offer. Mangiapane is the opposite of compelling! lol
Then sell somewhere else. We're not buying.
How have Seattle/Ott responded?

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
ANd we will be happy to choose from whoever is at 9
Who knows, 9th could be the better player....
Using that logic.... How about we trade the Winnipeg 1st for 9OA?? Who knows, that pick might be better....

We will throw in Struble. That's a western sounding name so it should hold more value....

Reactions: pth2

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
I don’t think this is what MTL is looking for but I’d likely do 14th and VGK 1st next year if I could top 10 protect VGK’s first

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
Using that logic.... How about we trade the Winnipeg 1st for 9OA?? Who knows, that pick might be better....

We will throw in Struble. That's a western sounding name so it should hold more value....
Your logic is wack
I never suggested 9th for 5th, did I?

But sure, there is a possibility that a late 1st becomes better than 9th.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
I used to believe in the BPA drafting theory then I switched to BPA weighted by position ie Centres and RHD given priority. I mean sure if you don't need that player just trade him I thought. Now I realize getting value on a trade isn't always a given. Geez we have a logjam on D right now and we can't seem to give our guys away.

If we draft the guy are you going to learn how to spell his name? Anywho I personally want us to grab a Centre since I have near zero hope in Dach being able to stay healthy. The only exception is if Demidov is available at 5th. Oh and I don't want Lindstrom.
Once or twice, ok, just misspelling. Been told it over and over and over... It's kind of irritating and it's not very difficult. :laugh:

Reactions: viceroy

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Your logic is wack
I never suggested 9th for 5th, did I?

But sure, there is a possibility that a late 1st becomes better than 9th.
With the way the Flames have been drafting lately, its a good chance the Hab's late 1st pick will end up better. ;)

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Then why are there so many threads/posts of you guys trying desperatly to trade it?
There are like 2 fans trying to do it. They represent an outlier opinion with the rest of us. Most are very happy to stand pat or even trade up.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Definitely not.
So what is it that you all want? Because 2 mid firsts is pretty close pick value wise. The OP said trade back but it rather feels like that’s not the goal of the last few pages. Or is it that we disagree where Vegas’s pick will be (I think 14-25)? Or is it you don’t want to wait a year?

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
So what is it that you all want? Because 2 mid firsts is pretty close pick value wise. The OP said trade back but it rather feels like that’s not the goal of the last few pages. Or is it that we disagree where Vegas’s pick will be (I think 14-25)? Or is it you don’t want to wait a year?
I don't think Montreal is going to trade back at all, but if they do it won't be all rhe way back to 14. Montreal has a very deep prospect pool and a ton of draft capital. What they need more of is players with star potential. They're far more likely to get that in the top 10, not by sliding back to the middle of the 1st round in ordervto picknup a top 10 protected pick a year down the line

Reactions: CTHabsfan

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
I don't think Montreal is going to trade back at all, but if they do it won't be all rhe way back to 14. Montreal has a very deep prospect pool and a ton of draft capital. What they need more of is players with star potential. They're far morevlikekyvto get that in the top 10, not by sliding back to the middle of the 1st round in ordervto picknup a top 10 protected pick a year down the line
Ah yeah definitely makes sense. This draft is weird in that really anyone from that like 6-14 range could be there at 14 but it’s likely not going to be a Dman just based on positional importance. Sounds like the same reasons some Habs fans are willing to trade back a small amount is the same reason Sharks are wanting to move up.

Gonna be an interesting draft for sure. I’m pumped that I’m going.

CTHabsfan

Jul 28, 2007
You may think two mid-firsts are fair value, but the Canadiens have plenty of picks and do not need to trade quality for quantity. If you want to know what it would take for the Canadiens to trade back think of what the Flyers traded to get Eric Lindros (not saying someone will, but it will take something big).

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
You may think two mid-firsts are fair value, but the Canadiens have plenty of picks and do not need to trade quality for quantity. If you want to know what it would take for the Canadiens to trade back think of what the Flyers traded to get Eric Lindros (not saying someone will, but it will take something big).
Okay that’s just crazy. There is no chance you are going to get close to that. You’re asking for multiple top end pieces. The equivalent of that right now from SJ would be like Smith, Bystedt, a couple more players, and 2 firsts.

JRichard

Jul 7, 2021
no way habs move down, they need offense , But what about this? Mtl is being flooded with calls for Xhekaj it seems everyone wants him. MTL has said no to everyone. Players like him dont grow on trees. Would Hughes finally give in IF Columbus offers the 4th overall pick for a Xhekaj. They might have picked a dman at 4 anyway. and lets no forget Xhekaj plays right now in the nhl, no need to wait 2-3 years for your 4th to develop and then join Columbus.
Well done sir.
This is exactly why i come spend time on this board: entertainment

Flooded with calls
Xhekaj for 4th oa

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad