Moose Season Discussion

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Are they not able to sign him to an ELC? You'd think that would be done by now.
Does it have something to do with his age? He's 25...too old for an ELC and is there a rule about signing a regular deal this late in the year?

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Heinola completely takes over in overtime and snipes one, 3-2 win.

Moose now up 10 points on Iowa, their closest threat for playoffs and their opponent for the next two games. Iowa has a game in hand.

Moose also have two games remaining against Texas, who are 3 points ahead.

Last edited:

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Moose tie it late, win it in OT off a Ville Heinola beauty to defeat the Wolves 3-2:

Game recap here.

Are you able to post all of Heinola's shift? It was a beauty shift throughout. Showed a lot of strength to come away with the puck after getting a few high quality chances.

Reactions: Finster8 and hn777

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
How do you know you are too good for the AHL?

Maybe when they talk about you as taking over the game in consecutive games, after being the best D on the team for many games before that.
Unfortunately there are a tonne of guys who were too good for the AHL where it never translated to success in the NHL

Not saying that's the case with Ville, but time will tell

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
Unfortunately there are a tonne of guys who were too good for the AHL where it never translated to success in the NHL

Not saying that's the case with Ville, but time will tell
No question, that is true.

My beef (and I know this is not news) is that the Jets have not taken the opportunity to test him out on the third pairing and even the second PP during the last 20 games of the season, when he finally appeared recovered, when the team and PP were struggling mightily, and when the third pair D seems like a revolving door of so-so players in any case.

The same aversion to changing it up was on display with the forward lines until the losing streak forced Bones' hand. I do understand why he might have a cautious approach, but sometimes risk aversion is actually riskier than it seems. The Jets are not a clear-cut SC winning team, so they need every calculated tweak they can muster to nudge up their chances of playoff success. Nothing ventured...

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
No question, that is true.

My beef (and I know this is not news) is that the Jets have not taken the opportunity to test him out on the third pairing and even the second PP during the last 20 games of the season, when he finally appeared recovered, when the team and PP were struggling mightily, and when the third pair D seems like a revolving door of so-so players in any case.

The same aversion to changing it up was on display with the forward lines until the losing streak forced Bones' hand. I do understand why he might have a cautious approach, but sometimes risk aversion is actually riskier than it seems. The Jets are not a clear-cut SC winning team, so they need every calculated tweak they can muster to nudge up their chances of playoff success. Nothing ventured...

Agree with the idea of the Jets needing to out-think the league and work at the margins to optimize each and every element available to them, but the org does not seem to run that way, and as goes the management so goes the coach and the team it seems.

Hopefully the Moose go on a run and Ville is able to replicate his TC success and push for a spot -- and maybe Stanley becomes the Dillon replacement and opens up a spot.

But it's tough to imagine a scenario in which he sees an NHL game this season.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

TommyKillian

Dec 12, 2013
The Kids are all right

They really look like they love to play for one another down there
I was thinking the same thing. This is why character matters. I went to a couple Moose games and loved seeing a guy like Toninato giving it his all and not pouting. I imagine the impact that has on younger guys like Lambert is huge. Just seeing how seriously NHL players take the game and how competitive they are no matter the opponent.

Teppo Numenor

Mar 14, 2016
Agree with the idea of the Jets needing to out-think the league and work at the margins to optimize each and every element available to them, but the org does not seem to run that way, and as goes the management so goes the coach and the team it seems.

Hopefully the Moose go on a run and Ville is able to replicate his TC success and push for a spot -- and maybe Stanley becomes the Dillon replacement and opens up a spot.

But it's tough to imagine a scenario in which he sees an NHL game this season.
I think Stanley replacing dillon and henola replacing a schmidt after buyout makes sense.

Reactions: ps241

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Heinola appeared to be clearly ready for the NHL this season then he picked up that terrible injury in preseason. The fact he is crushing it on the Moose and dominating means he is doing his part which won't be lost on TNSE. I expect Ville to be on the Jets roster when the puck drops to start the 2024-25 season . It appears that Schmidt might be on his way out.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Heinola appeared to be clearly ready for the NHL this season then he picked up that terrible injury in preseason. The fact he is crushing it on the Moose and dominating means he is doing his part which won't be lost on TNSE. I expect Ville to be on the Jets roster when the puck drops to start the 2024-25 season . It appears that Schmidt might be on his way out.

It appears that several Jets Dmen might be on their way out. I'm concerned by the lack of any apparent action to extend either Dillon or DeMelo, especially DeMelo.

Reactions: ps241 and trebendan

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
The depth is there to replace Dillon, but not DeMelo, unless the Jets think Lundmark is ready.

Reports from HFJets posters who watched live were that Lundmark was very poor defensively this year. Seems kind of contrary since he has always been pretty good defensively in the past.

It isn't outside the realm of possibility that Salmon could jump to the NHL next year, but I can't see them counting on that.

All leaves me wondering just what the plan is?
Morrissey - Pionk
Samberg - Schmidt
Stanley - Heinola
Capobianco
That right side, good grief!

Reactions: trebendan

trebendan

Aug 13, 2010
Reports from HFJets posters who watched live were that Lundmark was very poor defensively this year. Seems kind of contrary since he has always been pretty good defensively in the past.

It isn't outside the realm of possibility that Salmon could jump to the NHL next year, but I can't see them counting on that.

Morrissey - Pionk
Samberg - Schmidt
Stanley - Heinola
Capobianco
Lundmark got off to a slow start but has been fine since being paired with Heinola.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013

Morrissey - Pionk
Samberg - Schmidt
Stanley - Heinola
Capobianco
He's been a lot better lately, the whole defensive game of the Moose, by forwards and defensemen, was straight up awful for the first chunk of the season. Lundmark and Capo had a ton of unforced errors but often weren't given any outlets to work with. I don't think Lundmark is NHL ready regardless though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad