Most disappointing 1st round pick ?

Houndpower

Feb 16, 2008
Soo
I've gotta give this one to Jack Valiquette... Selected by the Leafs in the 1st round in 1974.... 13th overall....in his only year in the OHA he racked up 63 goals and 72 helpers in 69 games for the Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds, but Valiquette's promising career with the Leafs just never happened.

Hedberg

MLD Glue Guy
Jan 9, 2005
BC, Canada
Ryan Sittler 7th overall pick by Philadelphia in 1992:

He retired at the age of 24. He only managed 39 points in 121 AHL games over 5 season of pro hockey (he played 91 games in the ECHL as well).

Reactions: randywoodsghost

kmad

riot survivor
Jun 16, 2003
Vancouver
Tons of 1st rounders don't even make the NHL. It's hard to differentiate between individual cases of zero success.

I'd have to go with Hugh Jessiman, though, simply because 2003 was the strongest draft year in history and Jessiman amounted to nothing.

Psycho Papa Joe

Porkchop Hoser
Feb 27, 2002
Cesspool, Ontario
Visit site
The Habs all-time 1st Round No-Star team. Criteria - played less than 200 NHL games:

Jose Charbonneau Alain Heroux Terry Ryan
Matt Higgins Alfie Turcotte Lindsay Vallis
Jan Ingman Gord McTavish Dan Geoffrion
Bruce Baker Eric Chouinard Cam Connor

Brent Bilodeau Robin Sadler
Eric Charron David Wilkie

Ray Martiniuk

Reactions: Fenris and barbu

Canadiens Fan

Oct 3, 2008
The Habs all-time 1st Round No-Star team. Criteria - played less than 200 NHL games:

Jose Charbonneau Alain Heroux Terry Ryan
Matt Higgins Alfie Turcotte Lindsay Vallis
Jan Ingman Gord McTavish Dan Geoffrion
Bruce Baker Eric Chouinard Cam Connor

Brent Bilodeau Robin Sadler
Eric Charron David Wilkie

Ray Martiniuk

Tough to argue as a Habs fan with Ray Martiniuk, fifth overall in the 1970 draft, never played a game in the NHL, and only played 18 games in the AHL, bounced around playing for eleven different team's during the seventies in various pro leagues but never even came close to the NHL.

Robin Sadler was interesting, drafted by the Habs in 1976, attended the training camp for a couple of days, then suddenly quit hockey and went back home to Wawa never to return.

Last edited:

Psycho Papa Joe

Porkchop Hoser
Feb 27, 2002
Cesspool, Ontario
Visit site
Tough to argue as a Habs fan with Ray Martiniuk, fifth overall in the 1970 draft, never played a game in the NHL, and only played 18 games in the AHL, bounced around playing for eleven different team's during the seventies in various pro leagues but never even came close to the NHL.

Robin Sadler was interesting, drafted by the Habs in 1976, attended the training camp for a couple of days, then suddenly quit hockey and went back home to Wawa never to return.

Apparantly Sadler looked like the real deal. They were comparing him to a young Robinson. Just didn't enjoy playing hockey.

ObnoxiousPensFan*

Pens:
D-Stefan Bergkvist-26th overall in 93-"The Pens Future Shutdown D-man"-Played a Whopping 7 games in the NHL
C-Chris Wells-24th overall in 94-the most this giant Pejorative Slur accomplished was being traded to the Panthers for Jason Wolley and Stu Barnes
W-Alexei Morozov-24th overall in 95 never fully reached his full potential
G-Craig Hillier-23rd overall in 96-"The Successor to Tom Barassaso" never reached the NHL
RW-Robert Dome-17th Overall in 97-....Yeah this guy was balls
C-Milan Kraft-23rd in 98-....see Robert Dome
RW-Konstantin Koltsov-18th in 99- Let me start off by going on record by saying I loved KK ,This guy could flat out fly was funmain k to watch busted his ass off on every shift, problem was Craig Patrick thought he would morph in Pavel Bure over night...(main knock his hand were nowere near has quick as his feet).

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Ryan Sittler 7th overall pick by Philadelphia in 1992:

He retired at the age of 24. He only managed 39 points in 121 AHL games over 5 season of pro hockey (he played 91 games in the ECHL as well).

There was an article in a Palm Beach newspaper about him earlier in the year and how he got his life straightened out. It is worth a read:
http://www.palmbeachpost.com/sports/content/sports/epaper/2008/06/18/a1c_sittler_0618.html

LAKE WORTH — Ryan Sittler walks into the Palm Beach Ice Zone on a recent rainy evening, ready to coach a group of youth hockey players who have no idea that he once-upon-a-time was destined for NHL stardom.

Asked to sit down in his office to recount his painful career as a hockey phenom, Sittler smiles sheepishly and leads his inquisitor to a small storage closet adjacent to the rink.

"The parents know my story better than the kids," Sittler says.

That story should have been the stuff of Hollywood scripts: Son of Darryl Sittler, the most famous captain in the history of the Toronto Maple Leafs. Drafted No. 7 overall in 1992 by the Philadelphia Flyers. Commands a $400,00 signing bonus. Reports to Flyers training camp in the best shape of his life, and ...

Staggers through five professional seasons, mostly in the minors, before retiring in 1999 at age 25, his body ravaged by injuries and painkillers.

This is the time of year when the bad memories start ricocheting around like a loose puck in the crease. The NHL Draft begins Friday in Ottawa, so hockey publications and Web sites are rolling out the obligatory list of biggest busts in draft history.

"It's cool,'' says Sittler, 34.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Not sure if he'd be the worst in recent memory, but Jessiman was the first name that popped into my head as well. He doesn't look like he'll be more than a mediocre AHLer. From that same draft, Marc-Antoine Pouliot also looks like a throw-away. I was about ready to throw things through the TV when the Oilers passed on Parise and traded down to draft him. Looks like all the analysts, scouts, fans, and everyone else you can name, were right afterall. But the Oilers have continuously applied the infuriating and costly strategy of trying to outsmart everyone rather than draft conventionally.

ORYX

Mar 2, 2008
Pens:
D-Stefan Bergkvist-26th overall in 93-"The Pens Future Shutdown D-man"-Played a Whopping 7 games in the NHL
C-Chris Wells-24th overall in 94-the most this giant Pejorative Slur accomplished was being traded to the Panthers for Jason Wolley and Stu Barnes
W-Alexei Morozov-24th overall in 95 never fully reached his full potential
G-Craig Hillier-23rd overall in 96-"The Successor to Tom Barassaso" never reached the NHL
RW-Robert Dome-17th Overall in 97-....Yeah this guy was balls
C-Milan Kraft-23rd in 98-....see Robert Dome
RW-Konstantin Koltsov-18th in 99- Let me start off by going on record by saying I loved KK ,This guy could flat out fly was funmain k to watch busted his ass off on every shift, problem was Craig Patrick thought he would morph in Pavel Bure over night...(main knock his hand were nowere near has quick as his feet).

In the examples you gave i do not blame the players, but the scouting. Thats 6 years in a row with an early pick bust, something musta been wrong with the scouting, that isnt just bad luck

Canadiens Fan

Oct 3, 2008
Apparantly Sadler looked like the real deal. They were comparing him to a young Robinson. Just didn't enjoy playing hockey.

I read somewhere that he now "regrets" his decision but does not like to talk about it anymore "because everyone knows the story."

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad