Proposal: MTL and CGY

Status
Not open for further replies.

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Calgary doesn't have anything that interests the Habs.

Absolute minimum for Hughes to even pick up the phone is a young, very high quality center that is in their early 20s. Players like Zegras and Mercer are of interest, nothing less.

We do NOT need more picks because at this point, we have a ton of prospects but need quality, top 6 players to move forward.

• Wow
Reactions: Lockin17 and Xirik

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Moving Guhle now would be akin to when Montreal traded away Sergachev. Ie, monumentallly stupid. They'll keep him and thier top 20 pick this year. I could see the Winnipeg pick being in play but this scenario involving Calgary is asinine. Calgary will keep thier pick this year and most likely send Florida's 1st next season to satisfy the terms of the Monahan trade.
Or it could be like when you traded Romanov away

Reactions: Anardil

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
Calgary doesn't have anything that interests the Habs.

Absolute minimum for Hughes to even pick up the phone is a young, very high quality center that is in their early 20s. Players like Zegras and Mercer are of interest, nothing less.

We do NOT need more picks because at this point, we have a ton of prospects but need quality, top 6 players to move forward.
They don't need to be proven top 6 though, neither Newhook nor Dach fit that profile when Montreal got them.

Or it could be like when you traded Romanov away
But that was filling a need through a deal that was ready to go when Romanov got moved, not just acquiring picks to potentially move them later on.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
They don't need to be proven top 6 though, neither Newhook nor Dach fit that profile when Montreal got them.

But that was filling a need through a deal that was ready to go when Romanov got moved, not just acquiring picks to potentially move them later on.
I agree that Guhle shouldn't be traded for a pick unless he indicates he doesn't want to resign.

But at this point 2 top 10 picks would be a value that you simply cannot refuse.

9th overall for Guhle would be fair value in a vacuum, but MTL shouldn't move Guhle for that.

In terms of Romanov Sergachev Guhle I was just saying using the Sergachev example as if it's a guarantee Guhle reaches that (I would be shocked if Guhle becomes close to as good as Sergachev is) is quite silly.

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
That was for picks. Guhle is on a different level.

Guhle has already established himself as our top defenseman and top 4 on any team. Plus there is more growth coming. So in return, we need to get someone who is already established top 6.

Any team trading for him knows there is no risk, so should we.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018

Guhle has already established himself as our top defenseman and top 4 on any team. Plus there is more growth coming. So in return, we need to get someone who is already established top 6.

Any team would offer up the 9OA for Guhle. He's already developed into a top-4 and is on his way to a #2 dman. You would be stupid not to unless your LHD is set.

The only downside with Guhle is that he will get paid.

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Any team would offer up the 9OA for Guhle. He's already developed into a top-4 and is on his way to a #2 dman. You would be stupid not to unless your LHD is set.

The only downside with Guhle is that he will get paid.
This makes no sense.

Are you saying it's stupid to take 9OA or to refuse it?

I wouldn't answer the phone on 9OA for Guhle.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
This makes no sense.

Are you saying it's stupid to take 9OA or to refuse it?

I wouldn't answer the phone on 9OA for Guhle.
Habs would be stupid to trade Guhle for 9OA. Any team trading a 9OA that has a LHD need would be stupid not to make that trade. Guhle is a known commodity.

Reactions: HabsAddict

Pat Riot

Sep 30, 2017

If we are being honest , injury prone could be see as a risk. Top 10 picks in a draft would be fair value for Guhle IMO

• Haha

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
If we are being honest , injury prone could be see as a risk. Top 10 picks in a draft would be fair value for Guhle IMO
Everybody is entitled to their opinion. For example i want to trade Evans for Fantilli.

It's something that will NEVER happen...

Pat Riot

Sep 30, 2017
Everybody is entitled to their opinion. For example i want to trade Evans for Fantilli.

It's something that will NEVER happen...
well the value is completely off. Everyone who follow hockey knows that. Very strange comparison. 9th overall for Guhle is closer in value than what you just said.

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
This is pure speculation , with Ghule CGY might be a playoff contender

No one said that ???
LOL Guhle doesn't move the needle in the slightest. That's not to say he isn't a good prospect, because he is, but if the Flames were a bottom ten team with Hanifin and Tanev, Guhle isn't doing shit to change that. And given Markstrom's comments the other day, he's as good as gone. And Conroy the GM flat out said he's not going to be active in free agency.

So as much as you want to cling to that notion that the Flames might be better than expected, they won't. They're a virtual lock to be a bottom 10, probably bottom 5 team next year and there's zero chance they're trading that pick. Or their top 10 pick this year either because the whole idea of the quote unquote Dallas model is to hit a bunch of homeruns in the draft. Not throw those coveted and extremely valuable picks away.

There's a 99% the Habs will get Florida's first next year giving Hughes another opportunity to trade it away for a bust like Dach or Newhook. That should be more than enough for Canadiens fans.

• Haha
Reactions: malcb33

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
LOL Guhle doesn't move the needle in the slightest. That's not to say he isn't a good prospect, because he is, but if the Flames were a bottom ten team with Hanifin and Tanev, Guhle isn't doing shit to change that. And given Markstrom's comments the other day, he's as good as gone. And Conroy the GM flat out said he's not going to be active in free agency.

So as much as you want to cling to that notion that the Flames might be better than expected, they won't. They're a virtual lock to be a bottom 10, probably bottom 5 team next year and there's zero chance they're trading that pick. Or their top 10 pick this year either because the whole idea of the quote unquote Dallas model is to hit a bunch of homeruns in the draft. Not throw those coveted and extremely valuable picks away.

There's a 99% the Habs will get Florida's first next year giving Hughes another opportunity to trade it away for a bust like Dach or Newhook. That should be more than enough for Canadiens fans.
Newhook and Dach are busts? Both were on 50 point pace in their latest playing seasons...

If we want to use the word bust properly, we would apply it to Huberdeau. He's a total capbust.

Tanknation

Feb 24, 2012
Terrible for the Habs. Romanov alone got a 13th and is about a quarter of the player Ghule is. Then you add in 2x 2nd rounders? Yikes is all I can say. Terrible

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
Why? You would just be hoping those 2 would progress as much as Ghule has in the same amount of time span.
With #5 OA I pick a star forward like Demidov or Lindstrom. With #9 OA I pick a #1 D like Dickinson (hopefully), if not maybe Buium.

I get also another 1st next year (that makes it three 1st rounders in 2025). Also getting Florida's 2025 1st ensures that the pick Calgary gives us it their own, which is awesome because Calgary will suck ass for the foreseeable future.

On LD I still have Matheson, Xhekaj, Struble, Harris, Hutson and Engstrom.

Yeah, I'd trade Guhle for that. He is always injured and I think ultimately he tops out as a #3.

Terrible for the Habs. Romanov alone got a 13th and is about a quarter of the player Ghule is. Then you add in 2x 2nd rounders? Yikes is all I can say. Terrible
It was Romanov + early 3rd for #13, and #9 in this year's draft is worth WAY more than #13 in that draft.

Last edited:

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
well the value is completely off. Everyone who follow hockey knows that. Very strange comparison. 9th overall for Guhle is closer in value than what you just said.
You mean just like the Guhle trade for 9th...that will never happen?

At this point it's just nonsense that's more trolling then any actual discussion.

Bond

May 10, 2012
It basically guarantees the Habs will get another top ten pick next year as well. No way the Flames touch it

habsfan44

Jul 26, 2006
MTL : Ghule + Pitt 2nd 2025 + Avs 2nd 2024
for
CGY : #9 + Florida first pick 2025

Ghule would be a stud on CGY defense for years (no magic bean here) + 2 x 2nd

MTL gets #9 + Florida pick
MTL can spare Ghule with all the LHD comming up
Why can't Ghule be a stud on Montreal's blueline ? This seems like the complete opposite of what a management team that is trying to accelerate the rebuild would do .

Reactions: viceroy

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
MTL : Ghule + Pitt 2nd 2025 + Avs 2nd 2024
for
CGY : #9 + Florida first pick 2025

Ghule would be a stud on CGY defense for years (no magic bean here) + 2 x 2nd

MTL gets #9 + Florida pick
MTL can spare Ghule with all the LHD comming up
Does let Montreal draft Buium or Dickinson at 5 to replace Guhle long term. Still get top 6 forward at 9. Sennecke or Helenius.

Flames miss out on Ignila though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad