Post-Series Talk: New York Rangers defeat the Washington Capitals 4-0

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Caps lack of effort just says this team has zero pride, zero respect for the fans, I am very disappointed in Ovechkin and Wilson, I no longer give a damn about Ovechkin’s record, may not watch him again, f*** it
I thought the Caps broadly - aside from Ovechkin - gave a very good effort. Especially Carlson. That’s the captain right there.

Stelio Kontos

Nov 6, 2011
"Shouldn't have."

Detroit lost Larkin in March. Detroit with Larkin and Detroit without Larkin are two different teams. I think Detroit with Larkin would put up a better fight than these Caps. They still would have lost.
I forgot that Detroit was the only team that had injuries this season. You know actual good teams can win games missing a player right?

Washington sold at the deadline, their best player is 38 years old, they have no depth, and yet they still made it in. Detroit with Larkin puts up a better fight? What about Washington with all of their players healthy? Such a stupid argument. It doesn't matter because what happened happened

Also for the record
Detroit has missed the playoffs for the last 8 years with Larkin so.

Detroit barely beat the AHL caliber Habs in the final two games of the season!!! and your trying to tell me they would be a hard out? What a joke

Last edited:

Roshi

Feb 7, 2013
Finland
”Ugly sweep”. It was even series 5v5. Rangers just were too good at special teams and Shesterkin was on his a game.

Also missing your 2D, 3D and later 5D would be a lot for any team to overcome, especially against a team as good as Rangers.

I like Rangers team this year. Some of the fans are way over their head, but thats normal too. Ill root for you guys next round.

And lol at ”missing 15th overall to get sweeped”. I gladly take 18th overall and 4 playoff games over that.

Miro4Norris

Jan 24, 2021
Shame that Rangers got free pass to second round instead of playing Penguins who they would have lost to but it's Penguins own fault..

Capitals should have employed Rangers own playbook and injure Panarin and Fox. Therefore, Wilson is the biggest flop of the series. Alongside with no-show Oveckhin who only care about regular season goals atp.

GrkFlyersFan

Jul 30, 2011
South Jersey
Washington got in because of the Flyers collapse. The Flyers would've put up a better fight, Detroit or Pittsburgh would've. BUT, Washington had more points. Both the Flyers and Detroit hit poorly timed cold streaks, Pittsburgh were good late in the season, but too late. Washington had a "happy to be here" year, they got here, now it's time to go. Ovechkin looked very old.

And by the way, anyone that has to say Ovechkin is no Gretzky is missing the point. It doesn't need to be said, it's understood. Yes, that was considered one of Gretzky's safer records, it'll be impressive if/when Ovechkin breaks it, but this is just one aspect.

And by the way, had the Flyers made it and got swept like this, I would still have been proud. The Devils randomly sucking opened the door.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
Not really a surprising result. I watched a decent bit of the series and my opinion is that while the Capitals played somewhat admirably to their abilities, they were simply outmatched. Also, the Rangers weren't really firing on all cylinders either from what I could see. Could have been even more lopsided.

Reactions: egelband

Black Tank

Dec 12, 2006
a NYer in England
A couple of post-series thoughts:

-I thought Protas, Lapierre, McMichael, Alexeyev, Fehrervary all looked very good under the circumstances. Based on that alone, it was worth it for the caps to drop a few draft spots to get these guys a bitter PO experience to build from.

-The Rangers would have destroyed the pens, flyers or wings. Those teams could barely put a win together for the last couple of months, it's dangerously pure copium to believe that they become giant killers in the POs.

-Hopefully the islanders have figured out the carolina hold and interfere system to get at least another win but it doesn't really matter - the Rangers have a couple of days to recover and game plan.

Jay26

Jul 13, 2022
Kamloops
Most predictable result of the playoffs lol. There really isn't even that much to discuss. The Caps had one thing going for them and that was their winning experience. Because of that they were actually able to keep every game pretty close rather than get utterly destroyed in what was a terrible mismatch of the best team in the league during the regular season and one of the worst teams to make the NHL playoffs in quite some time.

Black Tank

Dec 12, 2006
a NYer in England
I remember the Devils were supposed to rule the Metro for a decade after this fluke series win against us last year. That worked out well

The devils are an easy, easy team to play against. There's a reason they've had tons of high draft picks, are lottery regulars, have been a lottery team so f***ing often that they've won the lottery four times. And despite all that they have 2 PO appearances in the past decade. The devils don't deserve to be mentioned in the Stanley Cup Playoffs forums.

Reactions: Summer Rose

Caps8112

Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
the "my team who didnt make it would have done better than the caps" talk is hilarious. Yes the caps are flawed and really on the down swing in need of a rebuild but some of you all are ridiculous. The caps lost 7 of 11 to make the playoffs. That means that every other team that didnt make it to getting feasted on by the rangers is absolutely pathetic and needs to take a long look in the mirror, Not the caps fault those other 3 teams sucked most of the season.

The wings going 8-15 from Feb 29th to Apr 16th ended their season and also means they sucked when it mattered.

The penguins going 7-16 from Feb 9th to Mar 24th ended their season, sure they won 5 or so at the end but that doesnt make up for how truly awful they were for a lot of the season. and they will likely be a bubble team/miss the playoffs again next year with an aging core that only goes as far as Crosby can absolutely carry them.

The flyers going 9-19 from feb 15th to Apr 16th including 2-9 to close out the season ended their season and truly the most pathetic of the bunch.

The caps have admitted they are in rebuilding mode the last two seasons selling off. All 3 of these teams are either supposed to be up and coming or believe they still have a chance with their core.

GrkFlyersFan

Jul 30, 2011
South Jersey
A couple of post-series thoughts:

-I thought Protas, Lapierre, McMichael, Alexeyev, Fehrervary all looked very good under the circumstances. Based on that alone, it was worth it for the caps to drop a few draft spots to get these guys a bitter PO experience to build from.

-The Rangers would have destroyed the pens, flyers or wings. Those teams could barely put a win together for the last couple of months, it's dangerously pure copium to believe that they become giant killers in the POs.

-Hopefully the islanders have figured out the carolina hold and interfere system to get at least another win but it doesn't really matter - the Rangers have a couple of days to recover and game plan.
The Flyers played them tough all 4 games in the regular season. The Rangers would still have beaten any of those teams, but I don't think it'd be a sweep. 5, maybe 6 though.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Caps have nothing to be embarrassed about. The experience will be beneficial for their young guys moving forward. I'd say Ovechkin should be embarrassed, but realistically he's old, and the Rangers keyed in on him knowing Washington had little else to be afraid of.

It felt like the Rangers were coasting a bit throughout. Even last night, watching the first period it felt like they were going to be content to play a very safe game and try to win it in the third. They need to step up for sure, but I don't think this series was a great representation of what they can do. I think they paced themselves.

Caps8112

Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Caps have nothing to be embarrassed about. The experience will be beneficial for their young guys moving forward. I'd say Ovechkin should be embarrassed, but realistically he's old, and the Rangers keyed in on him knowing Washington had little else to be afraid of.

It felt like the Rangers were coasting a bit throughout. Even last night, watching the first period it felt like they were going to be content to play a very safe game and try to win it in the third. They need to step up for sure, but I don't think this series was a great representation of what they can do. I think they paced themselves.

agree with this. Lapierre goal was kind of like the 4 rangers thought well hes not going to do anything. oh shit he did something!!....and it doesnt matter.

obviously bias but im not hating on Ovi that much for this round. He literally is the only offense they have and he is old. Rangers played him right and no one else could really pick up the goal scoring. This wasnt supposed to be a playoff team. Its the end of an era and a lot of hershey is just getting the experience. Honestly I wanted to see Charlie steal a game or two but cant ask one man to cover every flaw in a team the entire season.

TeeTee

Apr 20, 2016
Other than his shot, Ovi has no above average skill. It has been this way for quite a while. When you take his shot away, he becomes exposed. That said, I expected some degree of effort from him. To stand around most of the game is an embarrassment.

nyrallday

Apr 23, 2024
The devils are an easy, easy team to play against. There's a reason they've had tons of high draft picks, are lottery regulars, have been a lottery team so f***ing often that they've won the lottery four times. And despite all that they have 2 PO appearances in the past decade. The devils don't deserve to be mentioned in the Stanley Cup Playoffs forums.
I agree. And Rempe completely ruined their life this year

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
can't blame people for mistaking you as a Rangers fan, seeing you in all the Rangers threads.

So I give them a ton a credit and said they have a really good chance v CAR and it's still an issue, lol. Keep crying about people posting in general board threads.

Last edited:
Reactions: HolyHagelin

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
And Caps future is worse by them making it to the playoffs to win all of 0 games.
Pens are in a tough position, but Caps situation is not enviable at all.
Would the Caps really be better off if they had finished 16th from the bottom rather than 17th?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad