Confirmed with Link: Nichushkin back in assistance program; suspended a minimum of six months

TheGrimReaper

ten years gone
Aug 20, 2020
gallows pole
This entire ordeal has affected so many people, from the Avs brass , team mates and all the way down to us fans.
And of course Val and his circle.
Some folks find the power to stop from within , such is my case , some reach out for help and that's great.
I can only imagine how difficult it must be for younger men , reaching a level of competition , playing a game they love , in this league and signing contracts with six zero's annually, trying to fight temptations.
Best of luck to #13 but I will not be sad to see him go.
JJ said it best.

Last edited:

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
This entire ordeal has affected so many people, from the Avs brass , team mates and all the way down to us fans.
Some folks find the power to stop from within , such is my case , some reach out for help and that's great.
I can only imagine how difficult it must be for younger men , reaching a level of competition , playing a game they love , in this league and signing contracts with six zero's annually, trying to fight temptations.
Best of luck to #13 but I will not be sad to see him go.
JJ said it best.

In the history of the NHL has a player ever single-handedly nuked a team's postseason chances in back-to-back seasons due to off-ice bullshit?

I have zero sympathy for him. Sleep problems? LMAO! Nuke can go back to Russia, the f***ing bum. The only individuals I feel sorry for are his wife and kid who will probably never be able to escape him.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Here’s my prediction.

Exactly 6 months from the day he was suspended, news hits that Val has been placed on unconditional waivers for the purpose of contract termination . Not a mutual termination. A termination that states he voided the terms of his contract. I don’t know what those terms are, but they’ll have 6 months of legal work put into mastering it.

Once he clears, Val signs a 1 year contract with some other team to finish out the year.

The contract termination however, will be appealed and a legal process will begin (similar to Evander Kane). Eventually I’m sure a settlement will be made.

TheGrimReaper

ten years gone
Aug 20, 2020
gallows pole
Did Nuke single handedly close the cup window?
pretty friggin selfish of a WELL PAID man to nuke the chance of holding up another grail ( and we all know it was possible ) for his comrades in that dressing room.
307db9bcb85b0fdd.jpg

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Did Nuke single handedly close the cup window?
At the risk of sounding hyperbolic, I'd say yes.

But the reality is that given the way the Avs are constructed AND their very little asset base/pipeline, it was always going to be tough to win another Cup with this core. Not impossible, just much harder.

I think CMac helped make it possible at the TDL this year, but it does not appear as if it will work out (just being reasonable here, there's next to no chance the Avs pull this series out). But he did get Mittelstadt as the 2C going forward, which should definitely help out.

But the roster as constructed is just VERY imbalanced. Add in the pending new contract for Mikko, and the uncertainty of where the Cap will rise, it just...it will be very hard for them to get another Cup unless something brash is done. Talking like a trade of a big-name to then re-allocate that cap space around the roster. So basically it's trading Mikko, which comes with both pros and cons. While I think they should definitely investigate it, if they're serious about being a sustainable contender, I just don't think they will.

jaisen73

Oct 5, 2006
In a perfect world Val serves the six months and as part of his recovery -- which includes accountability -- there is a mutual parting of ways and agreement on a contract termination. This probably only happens if Val decides it is best for himself and his family to continue his career in the KHL. Maybe an outside show that he recognizes a change of scenery is important to his recovery. But we're also talking a LOT of money here, too. It seems utterly bizarre that the Avs wouldn't have strong grounds for contract termination. I suspect their legal confidence will be on display in how they handle the off-season. If they sign Drouin and get Middlestadt locked up it can mean either they have little confidence in Landeskog actually returning and/or they are taking a "We'll worry about Val and our cap space in November. We have to go forward as if he's never coming back to this team."

What are the cap implications if they also opt to bury him in the AHL?

Golden Foppa

Nov 13, 2002
Littleton, CO
I doubt he is ever eligible to play an NHL game again. The probability that he hits phase 4 even before getting out of 3 is extremely high, IMO. I think the Avalanche need to fill his cap spot in the off season and react as needed as things evolve.
The whole notion about you can't use his cap space is overblown. You can use his cap space and if he becomes reinstated in November or December you just have to be cap compliant then.

What are the odds that someone has to go on LTIR by then? With this team pretty high. You can always offload guys Tatar style too or do a camp dump with a guy who is showing to be a bad contract at that point (Johansen).

That scenario only kicks in if Nichushkin is reinstated.

Reactions: pont

Toothless Legend

Oct 15, 2021
Wheat Ridge, CO
Here’s my prediction.

Exactly 6 months from the day he was suspended, news hits that Val has been placed on unconditional waivers for the purpose of contract termination . Not a mutual termination. A termination that states he voided the terms of his contract. I don’t know what those terms are, but they’ll have 6 months of legal work put into mastering it.

Once he clears, Val signs a 1 year contract with some other team to finish out the year.

The contract termination however, will be appealed and a legal process will begin (similar to Evander Kane). Eventually I’m sure a settlement will be made.
I wonder if they've been building a case for termination since the Seattle incident--just to have it ready to go in case of emergency. That's what most labor attorneys would advise their clients do when they have a problem employee and aren't confident on the ship being righted.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
I wonder if they've been building a case for termination since the Seattle incident--just to have it ready to go in case of emergency. That's what most labor attorneys would advise their clients do when they have a problem employee and aren't confident on the ship being righted.
Imagine the shitstorm the organization would face (not just from the media, probably the NHL and NHLPA as well), if it turns out that Val did something so egregious that it warrants a contract termination, but Avs just covered it up because he was that good of a player, only to use it later against him?

Yeah, I doubt it.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Imagine the shitstorm the organization would face (not just from the media, probably the NHL and NHLPA as well), if it turns out that Val did something so egregious that it warrants a contract termination, but Avs just covered it up because he was that good of a player, only to use it later against him?

Yeah, I doubt it.
There would be no public record here that the Avs would have to answer to. They could present whatever evidence they have of conduct detrimental to the organization and then let the mediator work out the settlement. The general public would never know those details.

Reactions: niwotsblessing

Toothless Legend

Oct 15, 2021
Wheat Ridge, CO

Yeah, I doubt it.
I meant something along the lines of a PIP, but if indeed they have a smoking gun and they sat on it, there's plenty of ways they could spin the delay, such as "we were still fact finding" etc. Also, it would likely fall under attorney-client privilege or attorney work product, so the Avs they could use it in a targeted or limited fashion as it suits their purpose. Unless they know of something that puts another person or Val in imminent harm (death threats; suicide overtures), I don't think there's any duty at law or within the CBA to disclose behavior that's detrimental to the team.

Hornstar

Feb 3, 2018
Saw on Instagram ( I get not the best source) that he was tested at intermission. Does Dallas have the right to request this or perhaps someone saw him hot railing a line? Either way he was screed when the bottle came out

BaconNater

Jul 4, 2011
CO
Great now the Avs will have to deal with Val terrorizing them on another team? It gets even worse!

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Saw on Instagram ( I get not the best source) that he was tested at intermission. Does Dallas have the right to request this or perhaps someone saw him hot railing a line? Either way he was screed when the bottle came out

I very much doubt anyone outside of the Players Assistance Program has sway on that. It's likely just random testing that can happen anytime, anywhere.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Not sure why this thought even exists... teams have zero input. The Avs don't and most certainly the Stars don't.

Reactions: Hornstar

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Woah woah woah, I'm angry at the situation, but I'm not suicidal
Nah man, that's not suicidal.

Suicidal would be starting the day with Waffle House for breakfast, then Taco Bell/Chipotle for lunch, and Chipotle/Taco Bell for dinner.

In the immortal words of Ron Swanson, you would void more than your body weight, and disappear off the earth.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Nah man, that's not suicidal.

Suicidal would be starting the day with Waffle House for breakfast, then Taco Bell/Chipotle for lunch, and Chipotle/Taco Bell for dinner.

In the immortal words of Ron Swanson, you would void more than your body weight, and disappear off the earth.
Who goes to Waffle House for breakfast?! That's the 3am all the bars are closed and I still need to fight sort of place.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad