Player Discussion: Nick Paul

Peacefool

Nov 15, 2019
I might be a hopeless romantic, but honestly I don't see Palat being willing to go to play anywhere else.
He's been in Tampa his whole career, he's earned some good money so far and loves it in Tampa. And honestly, why would you be willing to leave the best organization in sports that is still set to be a contender for a long time, in one of the better spots in the US, for a couple mills more? Sure, it depends on the core motivations of the player.
I could see him taking a fairly big discount to stay to play in Tampa (obviously with a NMC if he takes a cut).
I would love if ure right))

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Between taxes and just the type of guy Paul is, I can see him taking a longterm low cap deal with Tampa. Maybe something in the 5-6yr, 2.5-2.75m range. Likely with serious trade protection for at least a portion of the deal. I want him back in Ottawa but I would also love to see him sign long term in Tampa and carve out a true cult-status career as a depth player on a dynasty... at the very least, I can't imagine Tampa not winning at least one more cup.

In the words of Bob Dylan, "If you get close to [Paul]... kiss [him] once for me. Always have respected [Paul] for doin' what he did and gettin' free". Enjoy him, TBers!

Reactions: JDBolt

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
I always wondered can players just say, no I dont want contract for 5 mil , i earned my money i wanna help my team thats why i will take league min contract. Is it forbidden or players can do this?
Sure they can. Kariya took a massive paycut from like $10m to $1.2m to play in Colorado with Selanne back in the day.

Reactions: Peacefool

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Between taxes and just the type of guy Paul is, I can see him taking a longterm low cap deal with Tampa. Maybe something in the 5-6yr, 2.5-2.75m range. Likely with serious trade protection for at least a portion of the deal. I want him back in Ottawa but I would also love to see him sign long term in Tampa and carve out a true cult-status career as a depth player on a dynasty... at the very least, I can't imagine Tampa not winning at least one more cup.

In the words of Bob Dylan, "If you get close to [Paul]... kiss [him] once for me. Always have respected [Paul] for doin' what he did and gettin' free". Enjoy him, TBers!

Given where we are in our window I wouldn't mind giving him term to compensate for cap hit. I just wonder if a team will beat that, Goodrow set the market last year.

BoltzManConstant

Mar 8, 2017
Upper West Side
It wouldn't be surprising if he agreed to less than some other team offers - this is his first playoff experience with a chance to win. Would think that is highly appealing when coming from a team that never got to the postseason. And he has spoken very highly of the organization.

Goodrow and Coleman had more experience than Paul at the time of their new deals, and even then Goodrow and Coleman wanted to stay on and likely would have taken less. However, with little cap space, the amount less they would have had to take was too much of a discount.

Again, this guy has made very, very little money in the NHL. It's highly unlikely he'd take any significant discount to stay. Tax differential? Sure.

Beyond that, it's just too much to expect.

Reactions: 2020 Cup Champions

BoltzManConstant

Mar 8, 2017
Upper West Side
You pay Paul something reasonable and keep him. He's actually BETTER than Goodrow and Coleman. We paid a lot for them and had to let them go. Business is/was business. It was a hard choice. And a hard choice may need to be made because Paul improves us in every way AND is better than guys we've lost.

But we also can't keep losing guys we paid an arm, leg and first-born child for so dudes can be rolling into like year 6 with us while a guy like Paul barely gets 6 months. Evaluate the cost of guys like Killorn, Cirelli, Sergachev and the UFA statuses of guys like Palat and Rutta

This might've been one of the better trades we've made and if this team is in "Let's be an actual dynasty" mode then by God we have nothing else to give away to keep in power

If he was better than Coleman (he's not), there's no way in hell we could keep him. Point gets a $2.75m raise next year, and the cap only goes up $1m.

Palat is making $5.3m, so if you let him walk and use that to make up the difference and give the rest to Paul, that's only $3.55m. Coleman signed for $4.9m. Paul is not going to give that kind of discount just to stay.

Again, if someone's going to give him $4m, it's unlikely to be Tampa. Just too much risk to pay a guy that much on such a small sample of games.

And Paul wasn't an "arm, leg and first-born child" trade. You're thinking of Hagel. Paul was Joseph and a 4th.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Again, this guy has made very, very little money in the NHL. It's highly unlikely he'd take any significant discount to stay. Tax differential? Sure.

Beyond that, it's just too much to expect.
Best we could hope for is like a one or two year "prove it" deal, but I'd say that isn't particularly likely. But I also think it very unlikely he gets 4+. He's bridge-able in the high 2s to 3s range.

Guys want to get paid. They should.

Reactions: BoltzManConstant

HanTykje

Jan 8, 2022
Norway
www.instagram.com
Best we could hope for is like a one or two year "prove it" deal, but I'd say that isn't particularly likely. But I also think it very unlikely he gets 4+. He's bridge-able in the high 2s to 3s range.

Guys want to get paid. They should.

Yes, but if they want to be one of the best team in league and favorites for the Stanley Cup?
And on a team with good facilites, best head coach etc?
So is it ambitions or cash is matters most for the player?

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Yes, but if they want to be one of the best team in league and favorites for the Stanley Cup?
And on a team with good facilites, best head coach etc?
So is it ambitions or cash is matters most for the player?

There's literally no substitution for a payday. He can move back to Tampa when he retires if he wants. Like if he won a Cup here and took the money it would be impossible to not understand or forgive

Pay cuts are easy when you make $7.5 million a year instead of $9 million for 8 years like Hedman. When it's $1.5 million for 3 years instead of $3.3 million for 4 years you've really gotten in your own way to take that first deal

Last edited:

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
Paul will get 20-30 points a season. How much is that worth?

I see 30-40 if he’s with Tampa. But he also does the things that don’t show up on the scoreboard.

I’ve been pumping out on HFSabres since February that the team signs him this summer, and figure he’ll get between $3.95M and $4.8M from someone. I’d take that for a player like Paul all day long.

BoltzManConstant

Mar 8, 2017
Upper West Side
I see 30-40 if he’s with Tampa. But he also does the things that don’t show up on the scoreboard.

I’ve been pumping out on HFSabres since February that the team signs him this summer, and figure he’ll get between $3.95M and $4.8M from someone. I’d take that for a player like Paul all day long.

I threw out $4m just kind of out of my ass, but that's what I see as the top of the range that would take to get him.

And there's a pretty decent likelihood that whoever pays it will regret it later. The dude certainly *could* be worth $4m, but it takes a lot of squinting and extrapolating from a tiny sample size to see it. We're not the team that can afford to roll the dice and throw that kind of money at a Nick Paul, but Buffalo certainly could.

Off topic, but I had a daydream this morning that the Bolts win the Cup again this year, then Pally takes a paycut to $3m or so because he just can't bring himself to walk away from the chance at a 4peat, then we win it again next year and the 3 RFAs take cheap short deals until Stammer's money comes available because *they* can't walk away, then Stammer's deal ends and he says screw it I've got more than enough just give me $1m/yr on an 8-year deal and bury my contract in the minors when I'm ready to retire. Boom, all our problems solved. (Well, except we don't get to keep Nick Paul, but still.)

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
I threw out $4m just kind of out of my ass, but that's what I see as the top of the range that would take to get him.

And there's a pretty decent likelihood that whoever pays it will regret it later. The dude certainly *could* be worth $4m, but it takes a lot of squinting and extrapolating from a tiny sample size to see it. We're not the team that can afford to roll the dice and throw that kind of money at a Nick Paul, but Buffalo certainly could.

Off topic, but I had a daydream this morning that the Bolts win the Cup again this year, then Pally takes a paycut to $3m or so because he just can't bring himself to walk away from the chance at a 4peat, then we win it again next year and the 3 RFAs take cheap short deals until Stammer's money comes available because *they* can't walk away, then Stammer's deal ends and he says screw it I've got more than enough just give me $1m/yr on an 8-year deal and bury my contract in the minors when I'm ready to retire. Boom, all our problems solved. (Well, except we don't get to keep Nick Paul, but still.)

Teams overpay for playoff performance all of the time. Although anybody paying him as a 2C is gonna get ripped off as early as that first season. I’d slightly overpay, because we both know Buffalo won’t be a destination this summer, but not anything crazy.

I’ve been also clamouring that they sign Rutta this summer. Which also means that won’t happen lol

Reactions: Stammertime91

Peacefool

Nov 15, 2019
I dont know how, but I hope we can keep him for a few years. If it means Sergy needs to go, so be it (Even though Sergy was one of palyers I actualle felt in love with Bolts) Foote is being better we have some D in AHL who can grow up, we still have Mac.

Bolt32

Aug 24, 2004
Palm Harbor, FL
It has been said before but man, please try and re-sign this guy! Amazing work on the PK and all around. With his long reach pucks stay in the O-zone where we need them to and Paul just never quits. Amazing pickup!

It's funny. Out of the two Hagel has really underwhelmed me. I hate that we gave up so much for him. Paul on the other hand....holy shit. He's worth so much more than what we paid for him. Damn what a steal!

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
It's funny. Out of the two Hagel has really underwhelmed me. I hate that we gave up so much for him. Paul on the other hand....holy shit. He's worth so much more than what we paid for him. Damn what a steal!
I'm still somewhat of the mind that if Hagel can relax he could be a really good player for us.

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
I mean in his defense, maybe with a full training camp he can be better. Just what I've seen so far I haven't been impressed.
Oh no, I agree, but I have to think a 23 year old guy goes from a team that's out of contention and maybe in for some hard years to sharing a locker room with b2b champs (and one b2b2b LEGEND) has to be pretty intimidating.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
I agree but I think with some time with Hagel on this team we have him for a couple years. I think he could be something with some time. When he's on he kinda looks like point but makes some plays that you don't see every player make. He hasn't been with us too long yet where I feel like players like him will find himself in the regular season on this team than in playoffs. I could be wrong but i hope I'm right!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad