Player Discussion: Nikita Kucherov - Part 3

Bozo Nicholson

5 Alarm Fire™
Jun 6, 2015
Looks like people were anticipating him being a goal scorer, but he turned out to be an all world assist-shitter.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Looks like people were anticipating him being a goal scorer, but he turned out to be an all world assist-shitter.
Yeah, we kind of had his goal-scoring nailed too. Basically a 40-goal guy, or pace, fairly consistently. It was the playmaking we didn't see coming. But with Kuch, so much of his game is based on creativity and unpredictability, so it's almost like it took him a while to develop his bag of playmaking tricks.

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
Yeah, we kind of had his goal-scoring nailed too. Basically a 40-goal guy, or pace, fairly consistently. It was the playmaking we didn't see coming. But with Kuch, so much of his game is based on creativity and unpredictability, so it's almost like it took him a while to develop his bag of playmaking tricks.
Reminds me of The Dark Knight:
"Was getting drafted in the 2nd round all a part of your plan?"

BoltzManConstant

Mar 8, 2017
Upper West Side

And dedication and unselfishness. He came into the league with a 40-goal scorer's shot, and it looked like his best weapon. Phil was forever screaming at him to shoot more.

So committed to team goals that he's gotten his playmaking to the point it exceeds his shooting, which is all-star caliber. And it's all about hard work, practice and living and breathing the game. I firmly believe he used last year's injury time to get better by watching the game more.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ

2. Nikita Kucherov, Tampa Bay Lightning

A two-time Stanley Cup winner (2020, 2021), Kucherov led the playoffs in scoring in each of those seasons, with 34 points in 2020 and 32 in 2021. The 29-year-old right wing was limited to 47 games because of injury last season but had 69 points (25 goals, 44 assists), including 30 on the power play, averaging 19:59 of ice time to lead Lightning forwards. Despite missing an entire season because of injury (2020-21), Kucherov ranks tied for 12th in the NHL in points since the 2017-18 season (382). Kucherov won the Hart Trophy as NHL MVP in 2018-19, when he had 128 points (41 goals, 87 assists) in 82 games.

"He brings a lot of emotion and a lot of passion to the game," Grimson said. "He cares a great deal, and that rubs off on the rest of the group. But just in terms of the skillset and the contribution, I think he's one of the most cerebral players in the game today. I call him the best half-wall guy in the business. … He really, really is an important piece to what has been one of the most successful franchises in the NHL in the 2000s."

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Kind of weird that he's just now getting a letter. It seems like the team has fed off his emotion for years (sometimes not even in a positive way).

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Kind of weird that he's just now getting a letter. It seems like the team has fed off his emotion for years (sometimes not even in a positive way).
They say he’s become more vocal in the room and on the bench. I think it’s clear that McDonagh was holding him back. :sarcasm:

UseYourHedman

Hold my beer for a sec
Mar 17, 2018
PNW
He is a pleasure to watch 95% of the time. I'm hoping that giving him the A will cut down on the temper tantrums he occasionally has. SUCH high skill level. Having a higher level of responsibility may help to curb his emotional play.

Reactions: Peacefool

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad