OT: 'Off topic' thoughts

Mr_Fun

Find me sombaty to love.
Oct 7, 2006
BC
For the guitar guys.....

I'm playing rhythm at a benefit in Sept. I'd like to closely simulate the horn parts for this as there is no horn section.

Any thoughts on some pedal settings that might get me close?

I'd try adding ~200 ms of delay (as a starting point) and maybe some chorus to give the illusion of a wider/thicker sound. Horns sound a lot more rich and thick than a guitar You could also add some saturation/gain/distortion just to cut through the mix a bit and give some sustain like horns have. Don't overdue it as you're not going for a "lead guitar" tone; stay subtle. If you can find a tone where the notes of the guitar decay close to the same time or way as the horns do, you're in business. That's why I recommend using the right amount of saturation or distortion because this is probably the one and only way to do it.

I do have some years of programming synthesizers so I kind of know how to approach this. I also played guitar for 25 years.

Hope this helps and feel free to ask any questions.

Reactions: egd27

ruaware41

Typical
Oct 22, 2019
I've heard good things about this place:

Over Covid, my friend even bought an extra freezer to store an entire butchered cow. He was eating good for a long time.
I was looking to buy from them and considered placing an order for a quarter cow but stopped. I'm still searching for a farm where I can buy fresh meat. Unfortunately that's hard to manage the logistics of in Ontario because all animals can only be killed at a government abbatoir facility and not the farm

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Is that a headphone amp? How is the tone. I actually owned the Tom Scholz Rockman back in the 80's. It was killer for the time.
It is a headphone amp yes, I love it. I'm no tone expert so not sure how to rate it in that regard but it's sooooooooooooooo much better than the Amplug which I had a while back. Super easy to use which is the main thing for me and there also a number of options for different amp setting etc., and the reviews all over the net are amazing so people that know more than I do say good things too.

There's an Anderton's video too from a few years back where they go over it in detail and you get to hear a bunch of their tones, if you watch that they'll tell you more about the tone.

Reactions: Mr_Fun

ITM

Out on the front line, don't worry I'll be fine...
Jan 26, 2012
you guys ever go to the sin bin at church and the priest runs out on fire?
Nope. One almost ran out laughing though; Owing to a couple of occasions when heading that way, a vivified rummy would suddenly hurl repulsive insults and offer a momentary challenge to combat.

Naturally.

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
It's never easy to tell a kid about a deceased pet.

It's worse when this is the 3rd time in less than 3 months.

you guys ever go to the sin bin at church and the priest runs out on fire?
I have added you as a follow.

You are a quality shitposter and I think I love you.

• Love
Reactions: NinjaKick

NinjaKick

life as a leafs fan
Dec 5, 2018
Toronto
I'm still devastated over our annual playoff exit and haven't been in the mood to cook for my family.
So yesterday I ordered Chinese food (a cardinal sin when your employed as a chef)...

fortune-cookie.jpg

fml.

Mr_Fun

Find me sombaty to love.
Oct 7, 2006
BC
Just arrived today -- Ibanez SR405, five string bass. Managed to snag it used off of Reverb for $350 CDN (the new models start at ~$750). The wife was home when it arrived and was very surprised and a little relieved to find out I hadn't spent over a grand (lol).

The thing is in near mint condition and came with reasonably new strings. All I had to do was go out and get a 9V battery for the built in preamp.

If you click on the attached picture, you can really get a look at the shape it's in; I'm more than happy. In fact, every transaction I've had on Reverb has been great; its the Stubhub of buying used gear.

Attachments

• 20240506_192126.jpg
    20240506_192126.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 2
Reactions: Larcos_Unal

Larcos_Unal

Excuses are for losers
Jul 6, 2007
Toronto
For the guitar guys.....

I'm playing rhythm at a benefit in Sept. I'd like to closely simulate the horn parts for this as there is no horn section.

Any thoughts on some pedal settings that might get me close?

I'd try adding ~200 ms of delay (as a starting point) and maybe some chorus to give the illusion of a wider/thicker sound. Horns sound a lot more rich and thick than a guitar You could also add some saturation/gain/distortion just to cut through the mix a bit and give some sustain like horns have. Don't overdue it as you're not going for a "lead guitar" tone; stay subtle. If you can find a tone where the notes of the guitar decay close to the same time or way as the horns do, you're in business. That's why I recommend using the right amount of saturation or distortion because this is probably the one and only way to do it.

I do have some years of programming synthesizers so I kind of know how to approach this. I also played guitar for 25 years.

Hope this helps and feel free to ask any questions.

Really like the comment from @Mr_Fun, you wanna thicken up the sound a bit with some gain so you get that warm, creamy sound of a horn. You won't nail this with a clean sound.

I mainly play a Les Paul, the way I'd tackle it is have a warm distortion sound dialed in with a decent amount of gain. I'd have my lead pickup volume around 5/6 and get a cleanish, crunchy rhythm sound for when you want to play the riffs, then I'd switch to the rhythm pickup with the tone on 0 and volume at 7/8 for that 'woman tone' during the horn parts.

Reactions: egd27 and Mr_Fun

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Just arrived today -- Ibanez SR405, five string bass. Managed to snag it used off of Reverb for $350 CDN (the new models start at ~$750). The wife was home when it arrived and was very surprised and a little relieved to find out I hadn't spent over a grand (lol).

The thing is in near mint condition and came with reasonably new strings. All I had to do was go out and get a 9V battery for the built in preamp.

If you click on the attached picture, you can really get a look at the shape it's in; I'm more than happy. In fact, every transaction I've had on Reverb has been great; its the Stubhub of buying used gear.
Hope it brings out the Stanley Clark in you, slap that puppy to death………

Reactions: Mr_Fun

leafs in five

Feb 4, 2007
engelland
anyone used one of these 'smokers' for a gas grill things? I am finding equal numbers of it worked great and it didn't work at all reviews

Attachments

• web-7576-b-05-22.jpg
    web-7576-b-05-22.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 5

Mr_Fun

Find me sombaty to love.
Oct 7, 2006
BC
Hope it brings out the Stanley Clark in you, slap that puppy to death………

Stanley Clark? At this point I'm probably sounding more like Wendall Clark. TBF, I've been playing bass less than a month (although I did play guitar for about 25 years).

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Stanley Clark? At this point I'm probably sounding more like Wendall Clark. TBF, I've been playing bass less than a month (although I did play guitar for about 25 years).
Every journey starts with a single step, aspire to greatness and you’ll get there…….

Hugh Mongusbig

Mar 7, 2012
anyone used one of these 'smokers' for a gas grill things? I am finding equal numbers of it worked great and it didn't work at all reviews
I'd pass. Just throw the wood chunks/chips into a packet of tin-foil and poke some holes in it.
Way less expensive, less cleanup hassle and those smoker boxes don't last all that long anyway. They all rust out. Truthfully, though, it's all a pain/hassle for subpar results.

If you really want smoked foods though, I'd recommend a pellet smoker. They are as easy to operate as any gas grill now. Flip a switch, set your temp and done. some will do both low and slow smoking and also high temp (direct) grilling.

Reactions: leafs in five

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I’ve used one, it was ok. I then graduated to a Weber Smoky Mountain which was great but grew tired of it. Didn’t use it once last summer and once I clean it up, I’m going to get my wife to sell it.
I bought a 36” Blackstone last week, absolutely love it. I can see using this more than the BBQ, so versatile.
Last night’s Burritos

Attachments

• IMG_4996.jpeg
    IMG_4996.jpeg
    206.3 KB · Views: 5

leafs in five

Feb 4, 2007
engelland
I'd pass. Just throw the wood chunks/chips into a packet of tin-foil and poke some holes in it.
Way less expensive, less cleanup hassle and those smoker boxes don't last all that long anyway. They all rust out. Truthfully, though, it's all a pain/hassle for subpar results.

If you really want smoked foods though, I'd recommend a pellet smoker. They are as easy to operate as any gas grill now. Flip a switch, set your temp and done. some will do both low and slow smoking and also high temp (direct) grilling.
would love a smoker, not really got the budget rn unfortunately. thanks for the insight though.

I’ve used one, it was ok. I then graduated to a Weber Smoky Mountain which was great but grew tired of it. Didn’t use it once last summer and once I clean it up, I’m going to get my wife to sell it.
I bought a 36” Blackstone last week, absolutely love it. I can see using this more than the BBQ, so versatile.
Last night’s Burritos
nice, a friend made us smash burgs on one of these last summer when we visited TO and they were so much better than what I can manage on a stovetop. jealous

Reactions: ACC1224

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Gets yourself some grill grates like in the attached photo, get them really hot and sprinkle some pellet grill pellets between the ridges let them smoke for a bit them throw your meat on, you won’t get a smoke ring, but you’ll get some smoky flavour…….

1715187015769.jpeg

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
Guys I have a problem I think I'm slowly turning people at work into shitposters

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad