Official 2024 IIHF World Championship Thread

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
No Cutter this year, as of now...did he tell Team USA that he didn't want to play for them and is demanding a trade to Canada?

I wonder if USA has him on standby to see what else they can get to commit.

Like they only named Lyon when I would imagine a guy like Primeau would accept too as the best two non-playoff goalies available. But there could be some names that could shake free with first round eliminations.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
No Cutter this year, as of now...did he tell Team USA that he didn't want to play for them and is demanding a trade to Canada?
He knew he wasn’t playing in the NHL this time last year, but he does now. The Ducks may want him on their offseason program, though there are rumors that they have had indiscretions.

Fight4yourRight

“Chuck’s my guy”
Dec 18, 2017
There’s a good chance the US can put down 2 touchdowns against some of their competition in the group.

ellja3

May 19, 2014
Ķekava, Latvia
No one expects Latvia to be anywhere near last year's heroics, lots of injuries. Let's see how it goes.

Last edited:

Fight4yourRight

“Chuck’s my guy”
Dec 18, 2017
That Poland game might get ugly for sure (Kazakhstan also, perhaps).

I completely forgot they (PL) earned a spot in Elite this year AND they're in Latvia's group. In fact, we're opening vs Poland this year.

It WILL get ugly against a team like the US for sure.

The thing is.. it will be less ugly if they don’t insist on playing their tired old veterans who have put their time into the team and made the elites for first time since 2003. Instead they should be playing younger guys like Macias (plays for the PA Raiders in the WHL).

Anyway, I’ll still be watching and still enjoy seeing them there for first time in 20+ years. I will hope they can at least pull out a win or two against the lower ranked teams in their group.

ellja3

May 19, 2014
Ķekava, Latvia
It WILL get ugly against a team like the US for sure.

The thing is.. it will be less ugly if they don’tpatvis insist on playing their tired old veterans who have put their time into the team and made the elites for first time since 2003. Instead they should be playing younger guys like Macias (plays for the PA Raiders in the WHL).

Anyway, I’ll still be watching and still enjoy seeing them there for first time in 20+ years. I will hope they can at least pull out a win or two against the lower ranked teams in their group.

Latvia aside, this will be my next favorite team for sure!

• Love
Reactions: Fight4yourRight

ellja3

May 19, 2014
Ķekava, Latvia
Crazy quality in these Canadian, America, Swedish etc. rosters. Was considering going to Czech Republic to see some games (1.5hr flight), but decided against it purely because nothing can come even close to the madness in Riga last year (I managed to see both pre-Tampere deciders - vs SUI and SWE).

Fight4yourRight

“Chuck’s my guy”
Dec 18, 2017
Looking at our roster and those of others in our group, I am just happy we cannot get relegated due to having Poland in our group (sorry, @Fight4yourRight ).

Edit: it will be really interesting to observe goaltending situation also

There is nothing to be sorry about. On paper, and even by ranking, they are dead last.

I read a few articles and watched some interviews of their coach and players and it seems they are at least being realistic and are hyper focused (for better or for worse), on the France and KAZ games. They didn’t even mention Latvia game in this context 😝

The one ace they may have up their sleeve (other than if their goalie somehow catches fire), is the “home” crowd that will travel for the tourney. They can get loud. Ostrava is only an hour away from where most of my family lives!

Reactions: kudymen and ellja3

ellja3

May 19, 2014
Ķekava, Latvia
There is nothing to be sorry about. On paper, and even by ranking, they are dead last.

I read a few articles and watched some interviews of their coach and players and it seems they are at least being realistic and are hyper focused (for better or for worse), on the France and KAZ games. They didn’t even mention Latvia game in this context 😝

The one ace they may have up their sleeve (other than if their goalie somehow catches fire), is the “home” crowd that will travel for the tourney. They can get loud. Ostrava is only an hour away from where most of my family lives!

Prediction for tomorrow's LAT-POL?

kudymen

Hakstok was a fascist clique hiver lickballs.gif
Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)

Hehe but then again imagine getting to the first IIHF WC in twenty years, only to play.... In Ostrava, several kilometres away from the polish border haha

• Love

Fight4yourRight

“Chuck’s my guy”
Dec 18, 2017
Prediction for tomorrow's LAT-POL?

5-2 Latvia. I think Poland gets outshot badly but their goalie keeps them in it through 2 periods.

Poland’s warm up games were not altogether great, but they did generally outplay Denmark in their last game (still lost, tho).

ellja3

May 19, 2014
Ķekava, Latvia
5-2 Latvia. I think Poland gets outshot badly but their goalie keeps them in it through 2 periods.

Poland’s warm up games were not altogether great, but they did generally outplay Denmark in their last game (still lost, tho).

My buddy forwarded a tempting bet combo offered by Latvian bookie: Latvia wins + total goals above 5.5 + [No] to both teams to score at least 2 goals. So basically, 6:0, 5:1 kind of scenarios would work. Still thinking about that one [:

• Wow

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA