Official 2024 NHL Draft Thread

LegionOfGloom

Jun 9, 2021
I think it’s unfair to judge Briere from one year of work. He certainly hasn’t worked miracles but he hasn’t made any major blunders. In regards to trading TK, we really don’t know what’s out there, offer wise. TK and Laughton will certainly show what kind of GM Briere is. Laughton should 100% be gone, and Briere made the right similar move with Walker. As long as Briere shows himself to be planning for the future, I’m content. However I will sound the panic alarm if he starts signing 28-32 year old 2nd line or second pairing players to bad contracts. One thing I fear in regards to TK is that it’s becoming more of a buyer’s market and high end players won’t fetch the returns they used to
The fact that we're picking 12th in the first year of a "rebuild" is a major blunder

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
The fact that we're picking 12th in the first year of a "rebuild" is a major blunder
My call is to put that on Tortorella. Briere built the roster but the coach puts the players on the ice. He refused to move off of his old vets and play the young guys. Why play Brink when he could play Atkinson? Why play Attard when he could play Staal? And so on. Tortorella refused to play the guys that would make a successful rebuild.

Reactions: Don Nachbaur 26

LegionOfGloom

Jun 9, 2021
My call is to put that on Tortorella. Briere built the roster but the coach puts the players on the ice. He refused to move off of his old vets and play the young guys. Why play Brink when he could play Atkinson? Why play Attard when he could play Staal? And so on. Tortorella refused to play the guys that would make a successful rebuild.
But everyone knew what Torts was gonna do. It was Briere's job to prevent it. No room for Brink in the lineup? Trade Laughton. Staal blocking Attard? Trade Staal (or not sign him to begin with). Instead he kept all of those guys and made sure that Seeler would be around to block the kids for four more years.

The larger issue is that I think he actually believes this culture BS. He really thinks a bunch of guys - five of whom might actually still be around when we're competing - learning how to win is more valuable than a top-5 pick.

volnoir

Nov 13, 2015
You think we won more games because we played Atkinson over Brink or Attard over Staal? Did you watch those guys play this year?

We would have been picking a lot worse had Torts actually optimized the roster.

Henry Miller

Sep 5, 2020
So it appears Lindstrom has back issues. Maybe there’s a chance he drops. With the injury risk would he still be worth betting on at 12 if he’s there?

Reactions: Larry44

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
You think we won more games because we played Atkinson over Brink or Attard over Staal? Did you watch those guys play this year?

We would have been picking a lot worse had Torts actually optimized the roster.
Neither Brink, Attard or several other young players were given the ice time that they should have under a rebuild. Tortorella only care about winning and his personal legacy.

iceman42

May 7, 2003
Enfield, NH
So it appears Lindstrom has back issues. Maybe there’s a chance he drops. With the injury risk would he still be worth betting on at 12 if he’s there?
It could be a smoke screen but you better do your homework if you are going to take that risk. Based on history I wouldn't trust the Flyers medical staff to read his xray right side up.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
But everyone knew what Torts was gonna do. It was Briere's job to prevent it. No room for Brink in the lineup? Trade Laughton. Staal blocking Attard? Trade Staal (or not sign him to begin with). Instead he kept all of those guys and made sure that Seeler would be around to block the kids for four more years.

The larger issue is that I think he actually believes this culture BS. He really thinks a bunch of guys - five of whom might actually still be around when we're competing - learning how to win is more valuable than a top-5 pick.
Briere blew it by not insisting on his own coach. Unfortunately, he tarnished his own reputation as GM before he even had one by keeping that idiot as coach. Sharks and Hawks are going to have pretty good teams in a few years. Will the Flyers? Meh, they are planning for #PerpetualMediocrity.

Reactions: renberg and bauer

landsbergfan

Jun 20, 2018
I picked Silayev in the mock draft based on reports from places I trust. Liked that he was young in the KHL too. I didn’t look into the lack of production too much but it seems like if it existed he would be in the #2 overall conversation

Anyone actually watch him and have an opinion? Seems like he will go high still

iceman42

May 7, 2003
Enfield, NH
I picked Silayev in the mock draft based on reports from places I trust. Liked that he was young in the KHL too. I didn’t look into the lack of production too much but it seems like if it existed he would be in the #2 overall conversation

The one write up is a little funny as its kind of an eye roll. "... Silayev has the potential to be a special offensive player, and if he can add that dimension to his game." Really?!!?! if he can add being a special offensive player to his game then he will be a special offensive player.

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
It could be a smoke screen but you better do your homework if you are going to take that risk. Based on history I wouldn't trust the Flyers medical staff to read his xray right side up.
Yeah I'm avoiding another nolan patrick wasted high pick at all costs, especially with nagging injuries like a back

If he drops to #12 then you can bet we're running to the stage. You don't get players that size, with that mobility and that compete and defensive level basically ever. You can't even trade for them.

Reactions: renberg

IronMarshal

Mar 7, 2002
Langhorne, PA
Visit site
My thoughts on the Flyers first pick options

I am positive that Celebrini, Demidov, and Leshunov will be gone when the Flyers pick.

Further, it is very likely that Lindstrom and Iginla will be gone too.

All of these players would obviously look good in Orange and Black, but the first three will be gone by pick 4, and Lindstrom, being a big power forward center with good speed and skating ability and a very good shot will be taken by someone like Columbus, Montreal, Utah, Ottawa and Calgary. They are all good possible landing spots for him.

Iginla will most likely take his skating, motor, and great shot to either Montreal or Calgary, although, some of the other teams may have interest as well.

If indeed, those 5 are gone, and they probably will be, that leaves 9 highly regarded players for the Flyers to choose from (and I’ll add three more to this list later).

Silayev will probably go to as 6’7 200+ pound strong skating defensemen are in high demand. If he is one of the final two or three of the big 13, the Flyers may very well grab him.

Zayne Parekh offers the Flyers a defenseman who can run the power play. Something they very much need. Parekh being a right shot defender who brings so much offense would be a no brainer to select.

Zeev Buium is a left-handed version of what Parekh is with a little better skating and defense. He too is a no brainer for a team like the flyers with an inept powerplay.

Sam Dickenson is an all around very good two way defenseman. He brings a lot of offense with a really good shot and very good skating and size and plays a solid defensive game. He can play all game long, 5 on 5, 4 on 4, 3 on 3, PP and PK. He will probably be gone, but if he is there and Berkly Catton is not, I believe the Flyers will grab him. I can see several teams ahead of the Flyers wanting him too.

That brings us to the final 4, Berkly Catton, Carter Yakemchuk, Cole Eiserman, and Konsta Helenius.

Catton is exactly what the Flyers need, skill, skill, skill, speed, motor, and IQ. The only reason he would be available to the Flyers is the only reason he is not a perfect player. He is small and skinny. That said, he is very elusive. He is fast and shifty and thinks the game at a high level. One could give him very high to elite ratings in every category but physicality.

Carter Yakemchik is a big strong physical defenseman with a booming shot. The Flyers would live his size, aggressiveness and ability to run the PP. His only downside is that his IQ is only OK and he is prone to over aggressiveness and some defensive mistakes. He would be a player the Flyers would covet behind Catton.

Cole Eiserman is a pure scorer with decent size who is not afraid of physical play. He has a great shot, a money shot and would instantly up the offensive output of any team and help improve the PP. He is a good skater and can make plays, but he really is a heavy shoot first player. He would be a strong pick for a team like the Flyers who are lacking high end skill. His warts are defensive play and maybe some selfishness.

Konsta Helenius is a very well rounded smallish two way center with a very high IQ and motor. He has good skill and is an average to slightly above average skater. He is probably more of a number two center with a floor at number 3.

RW Beckett Senecke, C Michale Hage, and D Adam Juricek are probably the next three and any of them could crack the top 14 if a team was really high on them. I actually like Hage more than Helenius as I think he has more upside, is a little bigger and is a better skater. Senecke is a hot riser much like Inginla. Teams do go for those guys. Jircek was injured this year but was highly regarded and some team may still see him as they did befo

Wangstar

Apr 2, 2023
Catton or Dickinson could be avail at 12. Parekh will go to Utah. That’s what they need. Calgary will take Iginla jr if avail. Seattle will take Silayev. Yakenchuk could also be a pk. He needs work on defensive coverage.

Henry Miller

Sep 5, 2020
I’m easily swayed. If I read positive and glowing analyses of a player, I think “this is the guy we should get”. If I read harsh criticism of a player I think “we should avoid this guy”. I’m swinging back and forth on every player

Reactions: BernieParent

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
I’m easily swayed. If I read positive and glowing analyses of a player, I think “this is the guy we should get”. If I read harsh criticism of a player I think “we should avoid this guy”. I’m swinging back and forth on every player

john-travolta-opinion.gif

I won't ever really watch any of these kids until they hit the NHL. Hell, maybe not even then at the rate things are going.

Redpath

Sep 30, 2011
The one write up is a little funny as its kind of an eye roll. "... Silayev has the potential to be a special offensive player, and if he can add that dimension to his game." Really?!!?! if he can add being a special offensive player to his game then he will be a special offensive player.

My question is (And this isn't rhetorical, I'd love any actual examples) when do these "If they can just figure the offensive side out" prospects ever actually figure out the offensive side?

Conversely, there is also the question of how much we can truly be ruling out the offensive side of a kid who just played an entire season on defense at 17 in the KHL. Of course the "offensive side" isn't blowing anyone away yet. What he did this year is still borderline unprecedented.

Silayev is probably the one relief I have about not picking top 10. If he is there at 12, I won't be crushed to see us take a major swing on him, but I would be fretting if he was on our radar with a higher pick.

I think this is all moot anyway, though. Briere won't have to make this choice. Some team is rightfully going to swing for the fences with him before he drops to 12.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad