Speculation: Ok Leaf Fans. Let's Re-tool!

Lightsol

Aug 2, 2005
What, people aren't looking forward to the Leafs moving Marner for an overpaid overrated Seth Jones and declaring the defense "fixed"? Not to mention the likely inevitable overpay we make to get Markstrom out of Calgary...

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Agree to disagree. It’s the insightful contributions of the many intelligent HFBoards posters that make each thread special and unique in its own little way.
Roger that…….

Punch Drunk Loov

Thought Viktor Loov was going to be a guy
Dec 6, 2011
Basically anyone should be on the table. But not Woll, Knies, Cowan.

Hell I don't want to see any goaltending prospects traded. Hildebeast, that Russian kid, the Italian kid. Don't trade any of them.

Reactions: arso40

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
To me, this is a two year plan...

Year #1....

Fire Keefe
Fire Shanahan
Trade Marner ($10.9 million)
Trade Kampf ($2.4 million)
Trade Timmins ($1.1 million)
Let Brodie Walk ($5.0 million)
Let Giordano Walk ($800 thousand)
Let Klingberg Walk ($4.0 million)
Let Samsonov Walk ($3.55 million)

Extend Domi ($4.25 million x 5)
Extend Bertuzzi ($5.75 million x 6)
Extend Robertson ($1.5 million x 3)
Extend Liljegren ($2.8 million x 2)
Extend Dewar ($1.2 million x 2)
Extend Edmundson ($3.5 million x 4)
Add a 1RHD ($6.0 million x whatever)
Add a 2C ($5.0 million x whatever)
Add a 1B Goalie ($3.0 x whatever)

Bertuzzi / Matthews / Domi
Knies / 5.0 Addition / Nylander
McMann / Tavares / Jarnkrok
Robertson / Holmberg / Dewar
Reaves

Rielly / 6.0 Addition
Edmundson / Liljegren
Benoit /McCabe
800k Addition

Woll
3.0 Addition

Total Cap Hit: $87.7 million

Year #2....

Cap goes up $4.4 million (projection)
Extend Tavares ($5.0 million x 2)
Extend Woll
Extend Knies
Extend McCabe
Start to integrate Cowan
Start to integrate Grebenkin
Start to integrate Minten
Start to integrate Niemela
You saved me a lot of writing here, because I agree with this plan almost across the board. Here are my tweaks:

I would say that we should expect the return for Marner to be integrated into our roster and that return in addition to some draft and/or prospect capital should also include a couple of useful roster pieces on good contacts. For example, the recent Sportsnet article with a few ideas, suggested Marner for Larsson and Wright. That would add a C and RD at less than $5M. That helps. I have been toying around with

Marner
Kampf
Liljegren

-for-

Larsson
Wright
Oleksiak

You also are paying a bit more for Edmundson than I think (hope) we have to. I would also keep Lyubushkin, hoping for both combined at $4.5M. We also should integrate Cowan in right away, we have to. He can't go to the Marlies and I don't know what he gets from another year in the O. So, with Wright and Cowan added to your line up I would rather not tie us into a $5M 2C. I would put that money into more D, say Tanev

Knies Matthews Domi
Tavares Cowan Bertuzzi
Jarnkrok Holmberg Nylander
Minten Wright Dewar
Robertson Reaves

Rielly Tanev
Oleksiak Larsson
Benoit McCabe
Edmundson Lyubushkin

Woll
Goalie

I don't have the lines right and it's a long season so they will get worked out. But that is forward depth (even without Marner), the best D we have had in decades, and solid goaltending...I would sign a Jones or Murray or bothe as depth too. Give Hildeby another year to develop.

Cap compliant, no youth traded...spots for young players to integrate and depth that will save us assets at the TDL.

• Wow
Reactions: sittler rules!!!

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
You saved me a lot of writing here, because I agree with this plan almost across the board. Here are my tweaks:

I would say that we should expect the return for Marner to be integrated into our roster and that return in addition to some draft and/or prospect capital should also include a couple of useful roster pieces on good contacts. For example, the recent Sportsnet article with a few ideas, suggested Marner for Larsson and Wright. That would add a C and RD at less than $5M. That helps. I have been toying around with

Marner
Kampf
Liljegren

-for-

Larsson
Wright
Oleksiak

You also are paying a bit more for Edmundson than I think (hope) we have to. I would also keep Lyubushkin, hoping for both combined at $4.5M. We also should integrate Cowan in right away, we have to. He can't go to the Marlies and I don't know what he gets from another year in the O. So, with Wright and Cowan added to your line up I would rather not tie us into a $5M 2C. I would put that money into more D, say Tanev

Knies Matthews Domi
Tavares Cowan Bertuzzi
Minten Wright Dewar
Robertson Reaves

Rielly Tanev
Oleksiak Larsson
Benoit McCabe
Edmundson Lyubushkin

Woll
Goalie

I don't have the lines right and it's a long season so they will get worked out. But that is forward depth (even without Marner), the best D we have had in decades, and solid goaltending...I would sign a Jones or Murray or bothe as depth too. Give Hildeby another year to develop.

Cap compliant, no youth traded...spots for young players to integrate and depth that will save us assets at the TDL.
I'm as excited for Cowen as the next fan, but he's going to have to be exceptional in order to be TOR's 2nd line C next season. Same goes for Minton. They need seasoning...

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Agreed. Very very very slim chance, basically none that Cowan is our second line center next season. If he makes the team, it’ll be playing on the 3rd line wing. McMann - Tavares - Cowan would be pretty solid as long as McMann can stay healthy.
I'm as excited for Cowen as the next fan, but he's going to have to be exceptional in order to be TOR's 2nd line C next season. Same goes for Minton. They need seasoning...

Reactions: saffronleaf

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Trade 1:

Marner (extended 8 years), Liljegren, and 23rd OA to NJ for Meier (8.8 for 7 more years) and 10th OA

Trade 2:
10th OA to Vegas for Shea Theodore (1 year left, extend him 8x8)

Trade 3:
Tavares after july first bonus is paid + Niemela to Chicago
Toronto 2025 first(via Hawks from McCabe trade) to Boston
Ullmark to Toronto

Trade 4:
Kampf to the blue jackets for a 5th

Re-sign Domi 4x4
Sign Zadorov 4.5x4
Sign Mayfield to 6x6

Knies - Matthews - Meier
McMann - Domi - Nylander
Robertson - Holmberg - Jarnkrok
XXX - Minten - Reaves

Lots of potential for the bottom 6 to look different with Cowan, that Russian kid they signed who was playing unreal, etc.

Rielly - Mayfield
McCabe - Benoit
xxxx - Zadorov

Get a puck mover on LD on the bottom pair. Either a prospect or signing. D is a good. mix of physical with puck moving ability.

Woll / Ullmark

Team is built from the net out, core is retooled and made bigger up front. Weakness of the roster is likely bottom 6 scoring depth, something they can try to address at the TDL if no prospects take the steps they want.

Mr_Fun

Find me sombaty to love.
Oct 7, 2006
BC
Sign Samsonov for 7 x 7. It's pretty obvious his main problem was lack of stability.

• Haha
Reactions: Cleetus

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
Trade 1:

Marner (extended 8 years), Liljegren, and 23rd OA to NJ for Meier (8.8 for 7 more years) and 10th OA

Trade 2:
10th OA to Vegas for Shea Theodore (1 year left, extend him 8x8)

Trade 3:
Tavares after july first bonus is paid + Niemela to Chicago
Toronto 2025 first(via Hawks from McCabe trade) to Boston
Ullmark to Toronto

Trade 4:
Kampf to the blue jackets for a 5th

Re-sign Domi 4x4
Sign Zadorov 4.5x4
Sign Mayfield to 6x6

Knies - Matthews - Meier
McMann - Domi - Nylander
XXX - Minten - Reaves

Lots of potential for the bottom 6 to look different with Cowan, that Russian kid they signed who was playing unreal, etc.

Rielly - Mayfield
McCabe - Benoit
xxxx - Zadorov

Get a puck mover on LD on the bottom pair. Either a prospect or signing. D is a good. mix of physical with puck moving ability.

Woll / Ullmark

Team is built from the net out, core is retooled and made bigger up front. Weakness of the roster is likely bottom 6 scoring depth, something they can try to address at the TDL if no prospects take the steps they want.

1-your trade are pretty trash, Meier look closer of a awful co tract right now

and would not trade a 1st pick for a good back up whos struggling in playoff...

2- Mayfield is under contract until 2029-2030

3- Zadorov at 4.5M, a big NO... better resign edmunson or boosh at 50% of his salary

all your move just making this team worst

Reactions: arso40

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
Knies - Matthews - Meier
McMann - Domi - Nylander
XXX - Minten - Reaves
I don't get alot of posters who post lineups like this our PK was one of the worst in the league who on this forward group is good at that aspect because I see none. this is an area that needs addressing this summer.

Reactions: TMLAM34

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
I would write off next year - I’m trading Mitch and Rielly and Tavares if he waives. If not, I let him know “no problem”. You are now our 3C checking line along with Holmberg and Jarnkrok. No PP time. No longer captain.

Bring in a new coach, new systems and start to establish TML hockey. Energy, toughness, speed and heavy forechecking.

I would want picks and young players. Or a top goalie (which I doubt is available).

In free Agency, I am rebuilding the D corps.
Need a big tough stay at home kinda guy. As well as true PP quarterback who can shoot it.
Speed is a quality I think the Leafs are sorely in need of.

Outside of Nylander, who really has game changing speed?

I thought they were quite a bit tougher this year, and made it tougher to play against.

Reactions: Budz

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
a guy i would target in free agency is not a name we heard a lot but would be Brady Skjei.

he can play tough minutes in top 4, he can bring offensive, having a great shot from blueline, can play both pp and pk. For me hes an underrated dman around the league and could come with a great contract for this reason.

rielly - boosh (resigned)
skjei-Mccabe
Benoit-???

just with one change, for me this d doesn't look the same

Reactions: jiggy35

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013
a guy i would target in free agency is not a name we heard a lot but would be Brady Skjei.

he can play tough minutes in top 4, he can bring offensive, having a great shot from blueline, can play both pp and pk. For me hes an underrated dman around the league and could come with a great contract for this reason.

rielly - boosh (resigned)
skjei-Mccabe
Benoit-???

just with one change, for me this d doesn't look the same
Skej is definitely on my short list of guys I'd go after if Toronto wants to add to the d-core via free agency.

Last edited:

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
Agreed. There are enough options among those listed 14 forwards, plus Grebonkin and maybe a Gregor type (there is room in the cap for that) we don't have to have Cowan in the starting lineup every night and Minten could be a Marlie call up, this is why I said I am not set on the lineups, it's more a chart of the roster players, here is another option.

Bertuzzi Matthews Domi
Robertson Holmberg Nylander
Tavares Wright Knies
McMann Dewar Jarnkrok
Reaves, Cowan

I guess the point I am trying to make is, although we would miss Marner we would have depth and options; Domi to get Matthews the puck, Knies and McMann to pick up some points and PK, whatever Wright, Holmberg and Robertson bring, and we also have a little more room to integrate Cowan and Minten. Again, they both might be ready.

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
Leafs have a great opportunity for a retool with players like Knies, Cowan, Grebyonkin, Minten coming through over the next ~2 years.

Issue is they need a completely different Dcore, and that's going to be tricky to navigate through trades/FA signings.

There is really nothing coming through in terms of prospects. Niemela looks promising, but he's going to be an offensive guy primarily.

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013

Marner
Kampf
Liljegren

-for-

Larsson
Wright
Oleksiak

Knies Matthews Domi
Tavares Cowan Bertuzzi
Minten Wright Dewar
Robertson Reaves

Rielly Tanev
Oleksiak Larsson
Benoit McCabe
Edmundson Lyubushkin

Woll
Goalie

Yeah, my valuations at 2C, 1RHD and 1B goalie are essentially placeholder values. The money could ultimately be juggled differently depending on what players are available.

Let's say you did something like this...

Mitch Marner ($10.9 million) to Seattle for Adam Larsson ($4.0 million) and Shayne Wright ($919K).

David Kampf ($2.4 million) to whoever for a depth pick.

Sign Max Domi $4.25 million x 4
Sign Tyler Bertuzzi $5.75 million x5
Sign Chandler Stephenson $4.5 million x4
Sign Nick Robertson $1.75 million x 3
Sign Joel Edmunson $3.5 million x 3
Sign Matt Roy $4.5 million x 5
Sign Kurtis MacDermid $1.0 million x 2
Sign Laurent Brossoit $3.0 million x 3

Knies / Stephenson / Nylander
Robertson / Wright / Holmberg
Reaves

Rielly / Roy
Edmunson / Larsson
Benoit / McCabe
MacDermid

Woll
Brossoit

Total: $87.2 million

• Wow
Reactions: Nineteen67

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
What, people aren't looking forward to the Leafs moving Marner for an overpaid overrated Seth Jones and declaring the defense "fixed"? Not to mention the likely inevitable overpay we make to get Markstrom out of Calgary...

If we get Markstrom out of Calgary I will be exstatic because it will mean we actually have a goalie.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Yeah, my valuations at 2C, 1RHD and 1B goalie are essentially placeholder values. The money could ultimately be juggled differently depending on what players are available.

Mitch Marner ($10.9 million) to Seattle for Adam Larsson ($4.0 million) and Shayne Wright ($919K).

Reaves

Rielly / Roy
Edmunson / Larsson
Benoit / McCabe
MacDermid

Woll
Brossoit

I don't hate this but Woll ca can't be the #1 next year he's simply not healthy enough. Also Wright needs to be higher-up up in the lineup if you expect to develop into what he can be.

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021

Reaves

Rielly / Roy
Edmunson / Larsson
Benoit / McCabe
MacDermid

Woll
Brossoit

I like it. You didn't trade or keep Liljegren in your line-up, well you obviously got rid of him but didn't mention the return. I like the Oleksiak add from Seattle if at all possible. A big guy that plays R or L and doesn't come with 5 or 6 years of a big contract. If we could get Roy for that number that could work too. Again, maybe Edmundson a bit too high and Roy a bit too low?

I think we have both just shared a couple of lines ups that make us better without Marner, and I am not even talking about the weight and weirdness be seems to be bringing to the organization these days.

Last edited:

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
To Toronto: Thomas Chabot
To Ottawa: Timothy Liljegren + Nick Robertson + TOR 1st Rounder

UFA Sign: Brett Pesce + Vincent Desharnais

Chabot - McCabe
Rielly - Pesce
Benoit - Desharnais/Chatfield

Last edited:

cupdreaming

Nov 9, 2014
I would try to sign either Demelo, Pesce or Skjei. Resign Domi to a lower term deal. Trade some of our current bottom 6 guys with term (if possible). let Cowan, Minten or Grebyonkin challenge for a role on this team. Bring in Rod after Carolina gets swept.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad