Paul Maurice

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I know for the longest time he was not that highly thought of. I feel like he was always used as an example of a "retread coach" in a negative way. However, the last season with the Panthers his team was in cup final and this year they're one of the favorites to win it all. I feel like no matter who they play in the ECF if they make it there they will be the favorite. So did he improve as a coach, did he just get better talent? I feel like he's no longer thought of in negative terms anymore.

Last edited:

Iggys Dome

Not allowed to say the “R-Word” (rebuild)
Mar 19, 2018
Cap Space
Bill Zito should get a lot of credit for this Panthers team IMO.

I was one of the people that thought the PoMo hiring was whack, but it’s worked out well for them.

He’s been coaching in the NHL for over 20 years, and yet he’s one of the younger coaches around. It seems the Panthers have bought into him as a leader.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
His heavy forechecking style fits Florida’s roster like a glove and gave them the chip on the shoulder that they needed. I do think that they punched above their weight defensively this year though.

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
I think Maurice has a guy who can help him build the team with his vision. Zito and Maurice are 100% on the same page and they brought in every player who fits this team like a glove. It also helps to have a Tkachuk and Barkov to build around. He wants them to be good defensively and grind but they also have an immense amount of skill. The most important thing is he has players who don’t cheat the system. EVERYONE has bought in. Maurice is also a really good guy. Happy for him.

Cats2TheCup

Oct 27, 2011
Miami, Fl

I was one of the people that thought the PoMo hiring was whack, but it’s worked out well for them.

He’s been coaching in the NHL for over 20 years, and yet he’s one of the younger coaches around. It seems the Panthers have bought into him as a leader.
To add some context to this, Zito had been telling people what kind of coach he was looking for, and those people he was speaking to kept saying “you should talk to Paul Maurice.” So it seems like their vision aligned for this team.

Also, I think this is the most talent PoMo has ever had at his command.

But yeah man we love Zito down here and want him to have the keys to do whatever the f*** he wants to do.

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021

Also the Panthers are AGGRESSIVE

that team is one brutal set of mofo's like those old Canucks teams with prime Kesler

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
I know for the longest time he was not that highly thought of. I feel like he was always used as an example of a "retread coach" in a negative way. However, the last two seasons with the Panthers his team was in cup final and this year they're one of the favorites to win it all. I feel like no matter who they play in the ECF if they make it there they will be the favorite. So did he improve as a coach, did he just get better talent? I feel like he's no longer thought of in negative terms anymore.
I f***ing loved Maurice as the Canes coach- always though he got a raw deal here.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I don't think he reinvented the wheel or anything like that. Florida's DNA doesn't look much different than his winnipeg team in terms of the stamp he was trying to put on them.

I suppose I'd look at it as a perfect fit for maurice (for now) that he got the right team at the right time to play his brand.

Reactions: Heldig

Blue Shakehead

because lol Jets
Mar 18, 2011
www.becauseloljets.com
Maurice inherited a Presidents Trophy winning team and yet he somehow still needed Buddy Robinson from the Blackhawks to score one of his 4 career goals in 10 professional seasons against the Pens in game 82 to sneak into the 2023 playoffs.

If Buddy doesn't score there and the Panthers miss (as they should have), Paul Maurice would be filling out resumes in Siberia. Or he would be selling cars or life insurance somewhere, which he would be incredible at. Nobody has coached more and lost more or achieved less than Paul Maurice in NHL history. His super power is coaching all star rosters to mid results.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
Always liked Paul Maurice as a coach, seemed to get a lot out of his team without being abrasive.

I like how he's very engaged in the game and works the referees pretty well. Definitely seems to get a lot of respect around the league.

Reactions: MarkWheeler

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Maurice inherited a Presidents Trophy winning team and yet he somehow still needed Buddy Robinson from the Blackhawks to score one of his 4 career goals in 10 professional seasons against the Pens in game 82 to sneak into the 2023 playoffs.

If Buddy doesn't score there and the Panthers miss (as they should have), Paul Maurice would be filling out resumes in Siberia. Or he would be selling cars or life insurance somewhere, which he would be incredible at. Nobody has coached more and lost more or achieved less than Paul Maurice in NHL history. His super power is coaching all star rosters to mid results.

Wasn’t last season a season of adjustments? They lost Huber-dough and Weegar from their President’s trophy team. They were a much worse regular season team, but they were a much better playoff team. This year they are back near the top, and are actually a good playoff team too. I’d say he is getting really good results.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

I dont think they would've fired him after one season.

Reactions: Aashir Mallik

Nogatco Rd

Owner & Operator, HFBoards LLC
Apr 3, 2021

You sound a lil salty

Blue Shakehead

because lol Jets
Mar 18, 2011
www.becauseloljets.com
Wasn’t last season a season of adjustments? They lost Huber-dough and Weegar from their President’s trophy team. They were a much worse regular season team, but they were a much better playoff team. This year they are back near the top, and are actually a good playoff team too. I’d say he is getting really good results.

If by "season of adjustments" you mean: giving big and undeserved minutes and roles to the incredibly hapless Staal brothers - then yes, it was! Weegar is a loss, but he was never as impactful in Florida as he was in his 2024 season in Calgary. And the Panthers are one of the few teams that are incredibly stacked and can afford to lose a Weegar. Then they added Tkachuk, who is a probably a top 15 player in the league in the regular season and maybe the best playoff performer in the league in the playoffs.

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
The Panthers are just a very well built team, they have star players at every position and they play a heavy game. He's a good coach who's been given a great roster to compete with.

It's obvious the league isn't planning on changing how the game is going to be called in the post-season. So either teams can adapt to that or complain about it. Florida adapted and the Tkachuk trade has been huge for them.

Reactions: Cats2TheCup and BHD

Blue Shakehead

because lol Jets
Mar 18, 2011
www.becauseloljets.com
I dont think they would've fired him after one season.
Gerard Gallant was up for the Adams in the summer but was fired by the Panthers a roadtrip after going .500 through the first 22 games. He was left off the team bus, outside the arena, and had to call his own cab.

Pretty sure Maurice is getting dusted if the Presidents Trophy team misses the playoffs.

• Haha
Reactions: RogerRoger

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad