Peterborough Petes 2023-24 Off-Season Thread

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
The downfall of the CHL has been greatly exaggerated. I bet a couple of more of these guys show up in the OHL in due time.
The Petes could have another big signing coming Alexander Hage who many thought was going to the USHL and then US College is considering coming to Peterborough to play. He was at the Prospects Camp last weekend and indicated the Petes are an option for him.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
I think the Petes will more likely make it to the OHL final in three years when the 2007 born players are 19. They will win a round or two in two years but are likely a year away from being a contender for the League Champion. My prediction is they will play London in the final in 2027 and will win the OHL for third time (they are 2-0 against them in the OHL final) over the Knights.
We will see what happens lol you may be right- 3 years would be the 07s draft year

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
After reading the Examiner article I definitely think the tender was to avoid Sarnia and go to the Petes.
I think it was more than Sarnia. Going by them saying they didn't anticipate Peterborough to take him. Don't think he wanted SAR, NIA & maybe the other teams right behind them (BAR, FLT, KGN).

ptbopete

Oct 4, 2009
Peterborough, ON
I think the Petes will more likely make it to the OHL final in three years when the 2007 born players are 19. They will win a round or two in two years but are likely a year away from being a contender for the League Champion. My prediction is they will play London in the final in 2027 and will win the OHL for third time (they are 2-0 against them in the OHL final) over the Knights.
does hf boards have a prediction archive folder lol. It's be fun to auto-post a prediction when the time comes around for any prediction. Dibs on the patent for that lol.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Wayyyyy too early prediction but 2 years down the line Pete’s and spits final- calling it now lol
[/QUOTE]

2026 finals for the Petes?

does hf boards have a prediction archive folder lol. It's be fun to auto-post a prediction when the time comes around for any prediction. Dibs on the patent for that lol.

Are there particular predictions that made you think of this? You can probably start a thread, then paste the predictions.

Reactions: frontsfan67

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
I think it was more than Sarnia. Going by them saying they didn't anticipate Peterborough to take him. Don't think he wanted SAR, NIA & maybe the other teams right behind them (BAR, FLT, KGN).
he was 100 percent ohl until the sarnia stuff happened. had he been drafted by someone else a bit later on im sure he would have committed. like i said before, something with sarnia really put the family off.

The downfall of the CHL has been greatly exaggerated. I bet a couple of more of these guys show up in the OHL in due time.
it generally always is. ken campbell doesnt really know anything about the ohl, so i would take any of his articles with a massive grain of salt.

Reactions: Section5Petes

ptbopete

Oct 4, 2009
Peterborough, ON
Wayyyyy too early prediction but 2 years down the line Pete’s and spits final- calling it now lol

2026 finals for the Petes?

Are there particular predictions that made you think of this? You can probably start a thread, then paste the predictions.
[/QUOTE]
Just the recent ones about the Petes in 2-3 years from now. Might be fun to create a predictions thread for the whole league that captures predictions for a few years down the road. But will anyone in the future remember to go back and check their predictions lol.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
the question we all truly wonder, what does square corners think? i know hes not from oshawa at all and solely a petes fan, wonder why he disappeared. :laugh:

ktownfan

Apr 28, 2022
Great to see the Petes sign a premier homegrown player. Sounds like the kid is a good kid, Dad will have to now realize he needs to step back and let the kid play. I would be curiuos to see if they billett the player out? I know Stillman lived with the MArtones after he was traded home

ScoutLife4

Nov 28, 2023
He literally did make it more then clear he was going to the USHL route so not sure what you mean by no.
It was obviously a front to dodge Sarnia and he succeeded.
I’m glad he changed his mind / was able to land on his home town squad.
With that said, the kids have way to much control / say in where they want to go now.
It’s proving to be tough for the OHL this season. -This was one of the rare W’S for the league so far this off season.

Last edited:

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
With that said, the kids have way to much control / say in where they want to go now.
Top kids can choose which USHL team they play for through a tender.
Top kids can choose which post secondary institution they play for.
Top kids have been choosing which spring team they play for all the way up.
Top kids have been choosing which minor hockey team they play for all the way up.

Maybe it's the CHL that has too much control/say?

ScoutLife4

Nov 28, 2023
Top kids can choose which USHL team they play for through a tender.
Top kids can choose which post secondary institution they play for.
Top kids have been choosing which spring team they play for all the way up.
Top kids have been choosing which minor hockey team they play for all the way up.

Maybe it's the CHL that has too much control/say?
They all have their flaws that's for sure.
I don't think the CHL has much control over NCAA eligibility criteria though.
I don't think giving the kids an option to dip to the NCAA in their overage season would be a terrible idea.

Likely would result in most of the Priority draft kids reporting.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
He literally did make it more then clear he was going to the USHL route so not sure what you mean by no.
It was obviously a front to dodge Sarnia and he succeeded.
I’m glad he changed his mind / was able to land on his home town squad.
It’s proving to be tough for the OHL this season. -This was one of the rare W’S for the league so far this off season.

It looks like Kitchener & Niagara have been winners in the recruitment game. The Niagara off-season so far is a huge relief for the league imo.

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
It looks like Kitchener & Niagara have been winners in the recruitment game. The Niagara off-season so far is a huge relief for the league imo.
I think before long Peterborough will be another winner in the recruitment game. In my opinion in the coming weeks we see them sign Blake Gowan, Alexander Hage and Genc Ula in addition to the recent signing of first round draft pick, Colin Fitzgerald. They also may sign 2023 Aiden Lee.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
I think before long Peterborough will be another winner in the recruitment game. In my opinion in the coming weeks we see them sign Blake Gowan, Alexander Hage and Genc Ula in addition to the recent signing of first round draft pick, Colin Fitzgerald. They also may sign 2023 Aiden Lee.
gowan has already signed, so im not sure that your going too far on a ledge with that one my man. how do you know if they are a winner without seeing how they play in the ohl? for all we know they will be bad players, no?

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
gowan has already signed, so im not sure that your going too far on a ledge with that one my man. how do you know if they are a winner without seeing how they play in the ohl? for all we know they will be bad players, no?
How do we know then that both Kitchener and Niagara are winners in the recruitment game? They also may be bad players.

Reactions: armchaircoaches

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
When did Blake Gowan sign? I must have missed it.

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
Chicago takes Alex Hage at the end of the third round.

How many 16yo can a USHL team have on the roster per year?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad