Players who are surprisingly not from Europe

Zenos

Oct 4, 2009
He's not naturalized, he was born in Canada.
You're correct. But sorry, that wasn't what I was inferring.

I just don't like the whole "real" vs "not really" distinctions when it comes to nationality.
Like, are all the many foreign born Canadians or Canadians who naturalized also "not really" Canadian, just because they moved there as teenagers or adults?

ciderfylla

Dec 28, 2015
W. Nylander only moved to Sweden and played Juniors there so he could play on the Swedish national team, the one his father played on. True story. He moved around North America, but was originally born in Calgary and played hockey for various teams in Canada and the United States prior to that. He's not really Swedish other than through his parents.
You should tell him he's not really Swedish. He doesn't seem to be aware.

OKR

Nov 18, 2015
How is a person who lived in North America almost all his life, 50+ years at this point, not a North American?
Because he isn’t considered to be one by anyone except you.

His nationality isn’t North-American, US government doesn’t consider him North-American, German government doesn’t consider him North-American, he doesn’t consider himself North-American etc.

OKR

Nov 18, 2015
I don’t believe that to be true or even understand your point about French Canadians. Do you think French Canadians have more of a connection to Europe than Anglo Canadians?
You don’t believe it to be true that Vincent is more of a European name? It’s literally Latin

”Vincent is an ancient name that has been used throughout the centuries particularly in France before it was brought into the English language”

Hence the French Canadian point.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Because he isn’t considered to be one by anyone except you.

His nationality isn’t North-American, US government doesn’t consider him North-American, German government doesn’t consider him North-American, he doesn’t consider himself North-American etc.
I don't see how that would be a governmental issue. Anyone from North America can be North American.

Phil McKraken

Jul 13, 2010
Sweden
Sweden too, but exclusively for white trash that usually quickly get into pretty crime

Yeah, there's been a trend in Sweden the past 30 years or so of white trash naming their kids Kevin, Liam and Noel.

Of course there's also the "y-names", which is a known thing in Sweden. If your name ends with a y, you're statistically at a higher than average risk of getting a criminal record. I've gone to school with kids named Bobby and Denny (brothers lol), Terry, and Johnny, and they've all been white trash. Usually their parents are into rockabilly culture and other lowbrow stuff. I'm not sure if any of them have a criminal record today, but it wouldn't sursprise me.

• Wow
Reactions: hn777 and mattihp

Rcknrollkillnmachine

Sep 22, 2017
Finland
Jake Virtanen's father I think is Finnish hence the surname.

Charlie McAvoy sounds like an Irish country western singer that covers Johnny Cash and John Denver songs in pubs.

For years I assumed Johnny Gaudreau was French Canadian.

Reactions: AlainVigneaultsGum

Jun 15, 2007
Im sorry but this thread is just full of insanely dumb comments.

Like it's like reading kindergarteners talk about something.

"vincent isnt a european name" like wtf?

How are people people confused about immigration, culture and ethnicity? These are basic ass concepts for an adult.

"wow a guy with the surname galchenyuk is american, how can that happen???"

"wow get this. his name is lucic but he's from canada!"

Zenos

Oct 4, 2009
Etchnicity=German
Citizenship=German
Residence= In North-America

So that makes him North-American to you? Is Barkov North-American to uou?
I mean, I understand the distinction.

Just as an example, I live in a big German city with a fairly large Arab minority population. Many of those Arab residents were born in Germany but aren't citizens. So they're not Germans. But I wouldn't call them "Asians" or "middle-easterners" either. Despite their ethnic background and national citizenship (Lebanon, Syria, even stateless) they're still very much European IMO.

In the end, I think you guys just have differing defintions.
One understands "European" to be the same as "having citizenship from a European country". The other sees it as something else.

Nikolajs Sillers

Jan 2, 2021
What nationality did you think Trochek was, I don't recall any European players named Vincent?
200.webp
:laugh:

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
Haven't read through it all, but is this the thread where we're surprised that people from nations like the US and Canada whose populations are nearly 100% descended from immigrants have last names that originate in other countries?

OKR

Nov 18, 2015
I mean, I understand the distinction.

Just as an example, I live in a big German city with a fairly large Arab minority population. Many of those Arab residents were born in Germany but aren't citizens. So they're not Germans. But I wouldn't call them "Asians" or "middle-easterners" either. Despite their ethnic background and national citizenship (Lebanon, Syria, even stateless) they're still very much European IMO.

In the end, I think you guys just have differing defintions.
One understands "European" to be the same as "having citizenship from a European country". The other sees it as something else.
Children born in Germany to foreign parents gets a German citizenship. So they can’t possibly be born there and not have a citizenship.

But if your definition of being North-American is simply residing there, all NHL players would be North-American. Kölzig wasn’t born there and has no nationality there, he only resides there.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad