Proposal: Robert Thomas to Detroit

WingsToPick4th

Jan 5, 2020
Listen, I know this player is an absolute stud and the blues will NOT want to trade a 24 year old 1C unless there's a huge overpay... but lets say wings are willing to overpay

What would it take?

DET offers
2024 1st (15OA)
Marco Kasper (C) (former 8 overall pick)
William Wallinder (LHD)
Andrew Gibson (RHD)

Would this be ball park? or do blues want more? I know they wont trade him but just curious cause Larkin, Thomas, Danielson would be a sick 1-2-3 C core

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Listen, I know this player is an absolute stud and the blues will NOT want to trade a 24 year old 1C unless there's a huge overpay... but lets say wings are willing to overpay

What would it take?

DET offers
2024 1st (15OA)
William Wallinder (LHD)
Andrew Gibson (RHD)

Would this be ball park? or do blues want more? I know they wont trade him but just curious cause Larkin, Thomas, Danielson would be a sick 1-2-3 C core

There’s 3 players the Blues can’t trade without going into a long term rebuild… Thomas, Parayko and Binnington. If they keep these 3 players, to go along with their really nice prospect pool, and keep the course of year 3 of a 5 year rebuild, they’ll be really good in 3 years.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Despite the OP offering up some good pieces teams just don't trade young 1C. Thomas is only 25 next season, signed long term. It would cost a ridiculous amount to get it into the Blues can't say no range. OP is missing least 1 major piece if really wanting to be serious about poaching a 24 yr 1C on a what is expected to age like a fantastic deal. $8.1M till 30-31

Thomas at his age, position and contract is one of the most valuable assets in the league.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX

What would it take?

DET offers
2024 1st (15OA)
William Wallinder (LHD)
Andrew Gibson (RHD)

Seider. And maybe not even him, but anything else is non-starter.

EastVillageBlues

Feb 18, 2019

What would it take?

DET offers
2024 1st (15OA)
William Wallinder (LHD)
Andrew Gibson (RHD)

It's a nice offer, really, a number of interesting pieces.

However, this trades our most valuable asset, without fundamentally fix the one problem we have, which is high end D of the future. There are potentially 3 young Ds in this package, but none of them (including any player still available at 15), would have much potential to be a top pairing D.

It's just not a trade that we would logically consider. The only thing we talked about in another thread, can potentially make moving Thomas worth it (not say that I would, but just that it would be reasonable to consider), is something like #5 + Reinbacher from Montreal. Detroit just doesn't have the pieces to make the overall package appealing to the Blues.

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
You'd have to help them completely revamp their defense I think to even get St Louis interested. Take on their worst dman contract whoever that is and give them Seider.

Reactions: Mike Liut

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
You’re not getting close to Thomas for a collection of pieces.

If you can’t come up with a fair offer either one franchise centerpiece for another or at most two super elite assets for one Rob Thomas, you’re not gonna be able to approach the value needed.

Once you add item three and four into a “quantity” package, you’ve lost the Blues attention. They are all fine assets but piling more into a package offer doesn’t “tip the scale” because the Blues aren’t going to turn the centerpiece of their offense into multiple lesser pieces. That’s counter productive to franchise building.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
You'd have to help them completely revamp their defense I think to even get St Louis interested. Take on their worst dman contract whoever that is and give them Seider.

Their D contracts aren’t as bad as Blues fans make them out to be. Krug and Faulk are very solid dman. The Blues just lack a legit #1 LD, which compounds the situation. Players are asked to play a role they shouldn’t be playing.

Robtom18

Nov 25, 2019

What would it take?

DET offers
2024 1st (15OA)
William Wallinder (LHD)
Andrew Gibson (RHD)

Absolutely not. Robert thomas isnt going anywhere. Thomas woukd be your 1c. Lol hels to the no no

Robtom18

Nov 25, 2019
This needs to be closed. There isnt a pavkage that gets you a 24yo stud 1c. Especially when we have our future 2c in dvorsky our future 3c in dean and our future 1lhd in lindtsein along with stenberg and plekeric and last but jot least dean. We are.closer to competing then people think. We get rid of krug and add a ufa dman along with perron we are.competeing this.year

WingsToPick4th

Jan 5, 2020
This needs to be closed. There isnt a pavkage that gets you a 24yo stud 1c. Especially when we have our future 2c in dvorsky our future 3c in dean and our future 1lhd in lindtsein along with stenberg and plekeric and last but jot least dean. We are.closer to competing then people think. We get rid of krug and add a ufa dman along with perron we are.competeing this.year
not sure why that means it needs to be closed lol its just a discussion

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Don't really see the right pieces to get this one over the line. Thomas is a great young center who is signed to term.

One good piece is more likely to generate attention than will five or more lesser pieces. Volume probably doesn't get you there.
Main issue isn't just the pieces in return, it's the direction of the Blues. If all they had was Thomas and everyone else around him was sellable for assets, then maybe you could see them moving him to do a long rebuild. But, Blues, like a few other teams have enough pieces to not be terrible and most of their guys are hard to move with MNTC so only limited places they could send them which means limited return.

Eegs

Jan 9, 2018
BC
There’s 3 players the Blues can’t trade without going into a long term rebuild… Thomas, Parayko and Binnington. If they keep these 3 players, to go along with their really nice prospect pool, and keep the course of year 3 of a 5 year rebuild, they’ll be really good in 3 years.
Thomas, sure, but I don't see how Parayko and Binnington especially aren't replaceable

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Whether the Blues are "retooling" or "rebuilding"...i just don't see any reason to move Robert Thomas. A 24/25 year old Top-6 Center with Top-line capability and a long-term contract is a piece that you build around in either scenario. No point getting "back on the treadmill" with more "maybes" when you've got the real deal already.

So there's probably just nothing remotely within the scope of "realistic" that would get the job done there. The only way i could see St.Louis moving off Thomas...is if someone offered them a potential upgrade in the form of a younger, even higher upside #1C. Which obviously wouldn't happen.

A "quantity" sort of deal like this isn't going to put it anywhere near the ballpark. Kasper is a nice prospect, but still just that. As is whatever the 15th pick turns into. There's a non-zero chance that a deal like that is trading a 24 year old Top line center for...next to nothing, or maybe some depth players...3-5 years from now.

So i'd say he's effectively "untouchable".

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015

What would it take?

DET offers
2024 1st (15OA)
William Wallinder (LHD)
Andrew Gibson (RHD)

This is an insulting offer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad