The Athletic Sabres’ season tickets have become a tough sell: ‘It’s just been so sad for so long’

SackTastic

Mar 25, 2011
Zero. It takes almost no effort to go online, see individual pricing for a Leafs game, compare it to Stubhub (factoring in commissions) and see reality. No money to be made most games. The rink is filled with away fans for games like Bruins, Leafs, Habs as much because the Sabres are raising prices for those games (which Ontario fans will pay) than STHers selling those games. But Buffalo News pushes some narrative to say otherwise. A little gerbilism.

I mean a lot of that stems from 05-06. The online resellers like Stubhub had started to get a foothold by then, and commissions then were silly low anyways. Combined with the team getting good, a LOT of season ticket holders were actually able to profit from the demand. It was got much easier to capture the premium pricing from traveling fans that way.

When Pegula took over and snowballed everybody to drive the season ticket base up, it ticked up a little bit, but after years and years of sucking most STHers became much happier to just dump their seats at a loss rather than head downtown to take a nap. I know quite a few people who lost lots of money trying to flip secondary market tickets, and it brings me great joy.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
I got an email today from the Sabres advertising a 21 game Half Season Plan

Half-Season Ticket Plan // TICKETS

Honestly, the Sabres are living in a dream world.

They sell these half packs and shove an exhibition down your throat.

Best part? Sabres cherry pick a March 13 Saturday game against Leafs (March Break is a prime ticket and this could be post-pandemic) out of either package.

Sure, where do I sign.

It's US$85/pair for blue line on third deck, row 5. For almost 100% of games, you'll be able to get those same seats for $85 even with stubhub charges.

BuiltTagonTough

Stand still laddy!
Jul 2, 2009
Buffalo
I’m sure with a little work I could get tickets to every single game through a reseller for less than half of what it would cost me for a season ticket. Looked at the half packs last night out of curiosity and it’s still 1500 bucks for 2 seats in the 300 level.

Pass.

May Day 10

Apr 19, 2006
St Catharines, ON
I’m sure with a little work I could get tickets to every single game through a reseller for less than half of what it would cost me for a season ticket. Looked at the half packs last night out of curiosity and it’s still 1500 bucks for 2 seats in the 300 level.

Pass.

One new 'problem' that people are going to find is the fact that there will be many fewer STH trying to dump their tickets on the secondary market. The much lower supply there will drive prices up a tick and the days of finding $12 tickets the day of the game will be no more.... or at least more difficult.

Unless this team pulls a rabbit out of a hat, we are going to see bankruptcy-era sized crowds this season and it will get worse next season without a major rollback in ticket prices. Due to the waiting list and FOMO, there was an artificial demand on these tickets and toward the end of Golisano and Pegula took advantage of that, and tickets are well past their actual going rate on the market. No way in 100 years I am shelling out $100+ to go see Dallas on a Wednesday anymore. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice.... cant be fooled again

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
One new 'problem' that people are going to find is the fact that there will be many fewer STH trying to dump their tickets on the secondary market. The much lower supply there will drive prices up a tick and the days of finding $12 tickets the day of the game will be no more.... or at least more difficult.

Unless this team pulls a rabbit out of a hat, we are going to see bankruptcy-era sized crowds this season and it will get worse next season without a major rollback in ticket prices. Due to the waiting list and FOMO, there was an artificial demand on these tickets and toward the end of Golisano and Pegula took advantage of that, and tickets are well past their actual going rate on the market. No way in 100 years I am shelling out $100+ to go see Dallas on a Wednesday anymore. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice.... cant be fooled again

For sure, we already saw that to a degree in 2019-20. The big decision for Sabres will be whether they undercut their own season ticket prices as the season goes on for some single games.

I expect they will try and confuse pricing with vouchers and stuff, to make it look like they haven't lowered below box office.

They they have treated season ticket holders horribly, actually raising prices from 2019-20 is insane. Lower Sabresbucks to 2% from 2.5% is so classic. Peanuts move.

If they had any brains they would have cut prices by 10% and boosted Sabresbucks to 10% and include beer. You have one beer on them, you have two beer out of your pocket. They will have 8,000 fans many games and multiplier affect will be seen at concessions.

The Pegulas have nothing to sell and they haven't faced reality. They have Eichel likely not playing, your #1 pick in college, many of your top prospects off to Rochester.

And away teams don't sell tickets to local fans. Not in Buffalo. Sabres fans don't show to see a championship team like Tampa. They show to see Buffalo. They love a competitive team. End of story. Out-of-town fans will come but border is closed.

May Day 10

Apr 19, 2006
St Catharines, ON
For sure, we already saw that to a degree in 2019-20. The big decision for Sabres will be whether they undercut their own season ticket prices as the season goes on for some single games.

I expect they will try and confuse pricing with vouchers and stuff, to make it look like they haven't lowered below box office.

They they have treated season ticket holders horribly, actually raising prices from 2019-20 is insane. Lower Sabresbucks to 2% from 2.5% is so classic. Peanuts move.

If they had any brains they would have cut prices by 10% and boosted Sabresbucks to 10% and include beer. You have one beer on them, you have two beer out of your pocket. They will have 8,000 fans many games and multiplier affect will be seen at concessions.

The Pegulas have nothing to sell and they haven't faced reality. They have Eichel likely not playing, your #1 pick in college, many of your top prospects off to Rochester.

And away teams don't sell tickets to local fans. Not in Buffalo. Sabres fans don't show to see a championship team like Tampa. They show to see Buffalo. They love a competitive team. End of story. Out-of-town fans will come but border is closed.

Their treatment of STH is ghastly.

I kept my seniority up over many years and upgraded my seats slowly when available. Ended up on the aisle near center ice in the 300 level. I was loyal and hung on for a lot of really bad seasons. Things got progressively worse, and I didnt feel like going to a lot of games, spending the 3 hour+ time investment and $10-20 for parking etc, so often I would dump the tickets on Stubhub for a major loss, and gave a lot of pairs away. Still renewed because I really liked my seat location. Even with constant price increases, but honestly was reaching my price limit with having nothing to show for it for so many years where I was asking why do I do this when I can go to Europe or something for this $.

So the end of 19-20 comes around and the geniuses there decided to carve the arena up into a lot of different pricing zones. My tickets that I held through a lot of terrible seasons and mismanagement suddenly had about a 20% increase on them all at once. I could spend the same, but relegate myself to the corners, and with the layout of the arena, those seats might as well be in a different zip code. Wrote my 'dedicated account rep' and he didnt seem to care about anything. Cancelled on the spot and had to haggle for a year to get my $400 in unused ticket $ for the Spring of 2020 games back.

Reactions: brian_griffin

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
Their treatment of STH is ghastly.

I kept my seniority up over many years and upgraded my seats slowly when available. Ended up on the aisle near center ice in the 300 level. I was loyal and hung on for a lot of really bad seasons. Things got progressively worse, and I didnt feel like going to a lot of games, spending the 3 hour+ time investment and $10-20 for parking etc, so often I would dump the tickets on Stubhub for a major loss, and gave a lot of pairs away. Still renewed because I really liked my seat location. Even with constant price increases, but honestly was reaching my price limit with having nothing to show for it for so many years where I was asking why do I do this when I can go to Europe or something for this $.

So the end of 19-20 comes around and the geniuses there decided to carve the arena up into a lot of different pricing zones. My tickets that I held through a lot of terrible seasons and mismanagement suddenly had about a 20% increase on them all at once. I could spend the same, but relegate myself to the corners, and with the layout of the arena, those seats might as well be in a different zip code. Wrote my 'dedicated account rep' and he didnt seem to care about anything. Cancelled on the spot and had to haggle for a year to get my $400 in unused ticket $ for the Spring of 2020 games back.

None of this surprises me. The are living under the illusion that it is 2006-2007 and they have 10,000 people on a waiting list. They fired most of the account reps now too. They think they can send out a form letter and people will send them money like it's an electric bill and if you don't pay it the heat will be turned off.

The corporate culture of the Sabres is completely broken. They don't really understand they are selling entertainment to a public that doesn't have to buy. The fear of missing out is long gone. People can take the US$100 they would spend at a Sabres game and do other things.

I suppose the Pegulas can absorb losses forever but the franchise needs lots of fixing at this point.

May Day 10

Apr 19, 2006
St Catharines, ON
you mean interest free payment 'plants' doesnt appeal to you? Or "Exclusive Events Invites" as opposed to "Exclusive STH Events"?

E9k2Xm5WUAUaisz

cybresabre

prōject positivity
Feb 27, 2002
+
Concession pricing is smart. I imagine this means the tickets get cheaper once the team concedes?
Being able to watch the playoffs at the arena could be a cool gimmick as well. Choose the game by text votes or a different game on every screen?
Interest-free payment plants makes sense, since we're all free from interest. The plants aspect must be a way of getting around the current sales prohibition. "Buy a ticket, get a free 'floral arrangement' gift" kinda deal. Savvy.

Reactions: La Cosa Nostra

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY

I know they’re doing it out of desperation right now but I kinda like this idea. Maybe something to consider down the road. I can see the Weekender version being popular if the team even stops sucking.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
They'll just make every game kids' night to fill the building and we'll go 0-81-1

valet

obviously adhd
Sponsor
Jan 26, 2017
buffalo
I think if I get a nice raise by this coming summer I'll get at least half season tickets for 2022. could be a good time to buy for the next 5-10 years if the youngsters pan out. but definitely not this season

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
How much are tickets to buy on the day? Something my local football (soccer) team did a few years back was a 'flexible' season ticket scheme which was great. I wish they still did it & i wish other teams/other sports would do it.

A 'full' ST was £200 upfront - which was cheap in itself considering it bought 23 games.

A single one off game ticket was £20.

The 'flexible' ticket was £50 upfront & allowed you to go to as many or as few games as you wanted - where you would pay £10 per game instead of £20. Plus you got all the benefits of a full ST such as reserved seat, priority for cup games/away games/playoff games etc.

Could something like this get more people committed for this coming season?

Last edited:

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Why would anyone buy a ticket plan for this team when if you really must see this joke of a team you can get on the secondary market for virtually any game for less? The benefits they offer flat out suck and come nowhere close to making up for the secondary market price difference.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad