GDT: SAUNAMEN @ rags’ dusty shoeshine stand

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
The announcers were so obviously disappointed by the 3rd period, it was LOL funny. It was an absolutely great period of hockey. A huge pushback by a visiting team to take the series to a game 6.
TV people are okay with series going 6. Tv people hate the idea of another florida-Carolina ECF. They were having dreams of a NYR-Bos ecf. They have to pull for NYRs here

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
TV people are okay with series going 6. Tv people hate the idea of another florida-Carolina ECF. They were having dreams of a NYR-Bos ecf. They have to pull for NYRs here
I don't fault them much. I'd rather take a cab from home and family to work than catch a flight too. But their tone and focus was so obviously pained, they served up schadenfreude on a platter.

To Be Determined

Jun 22, 2006
Probably a pig crossing festival on Wednesday at the fair.
no way. pig crossings always turn into late nights, and wednesday night is for church round here.

seriously, when i was growing up way back in the 80s our local parks and rec / little league didn't schedule games on wednesday because of this.

Reactions: VAcaniac

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
I don't fault them much. I'd rather take a cab from home and family to work than catch a flight too. But their tone and focus was so obviously pained, they served up schadenfreude on a platter.

Last night wasn't the script, and they were talking a lot of shit about the Canes up to the point Staal scored that goal.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Well I guess I'm going to have to shell out for Game 6 and hope it winds up like Game 6 down 3-2 against WAS that magical night in 2019. Only with probably fisticuffs on the side

The atmosphere Thursday is going to be a sight to see and hear.
I will be there with both my Kotkaniemi jersey and bells on....

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
Since Canes won Sunday's game without watching live, we decided to do same for last night. lol, started watching at 10:30PM and then was up until 3AM.

Quick thoughts:
Non-Goalies
-- A win without the top line scoring
-- A win while losing the Special Teams battle
-- 2nd line, "Crazy 8's" (my wife's nickname) line of Drury-Marty-Necas with 2 goals
-- Kuzy with another big goal. He has gotten some stick for inconsistent play but he sure has had some timely goals versus the Isles and now the Rags. Game winning goal was a 200' play, make breakout pass and hustle down the ice and beat Bread to the puck.
--Brett Burns, welcome to the ornery side of the playoffs. Good physicality the last 2 games targeting the right players. Tro in Game 3 & Zibs and Rempe receiving theirs last night (Ranger fans make me laugh....on the one hand, we are "soft" but yet others call us "dirty")
-- Orlov & Chatty, +4 with a combined 40 minutes just under Burns-Slavin 41. Great play by Orlov on that tying goal, holding the puck for teammates to get off the ice and then a supurb pass to Staal for the tying goal.
-- No one on team getting "heavy" minutes and thus staying fresh
-- Game 2, 32+ minutes each for Tro, Zibs, Bread, Fox now impacting later in the series?

Goalies
-- Freddie solid
-- Shesterkin had an outstanding game and we won. Past playoffs would sink us in that situation.

On to Game 6. Oops, I will be there live.

To Be Determined

Jun 22, 2006
i need a definitive answer to this...

sitting kuzy in game 2 - rba horrible decision (i saw some of this sentiment last night, i think) that sunk that game, or rba great decision to light a fire under his ass that has paid off with improved play and goals in the last two?

I'll hang up and listen.

Reactions: Negan4Coach

dogbazinho

May 24, 2006
Fairfax, VA

sitting kuzy in game 2 - rba horrible decision (i saw some of this sentiment last night, i think) that sunk that game, or rba great decision to light a fire under his ass that has paid off with improved play and goals in the last two?

I'll hang up and listen.

I think its a good decision if you need more minutes or toughness out of his replacement. If you end up not playing his replacement I'd rather have Kuzy play 8 minutes, some on the PP.

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho

I'll hang up and listen.

Let's go with #2 and keep the positive vibes going.

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Huge win for the boys in red. This definitely has the momentum in the Hurricanes' favor, although the task of winning 4 is still a longshot.

The best news for me was seeing how the Rangers played in the 3rd. From the Trouba shorty until the Staal goal, they were in charge of the game. It looked like an absolutely typical Canes/Rangers affair, with the Hurricanes getting the better chances for most of the game, but special teams sinking us.

Once Staal scored, the script flipped. The Rangers looked like the Hurricanes for much of game 3. They had a push, but they also panicked. They flubbed holding the puck, their passes that 2 minutes ago were tape-to-tape were now hitting skates, their physicality was causing them to lose a man and give us transition chances. They looked off on everything.

Wild. Think about it. The Rangers at this point are tied 1-1 with plenty of time in the 3rd. They were "due" the next powerplay. Home ice. Against a team they have regularly beaten in past years. Up 3-1 on the series. But did they play like they were in control? Absolutely not. The moment Staal scored, it flipped the script. They played scared; the Canes played determined.

It will take a lot more hustle to possibly win the series, but the Canes have all the momentum. They've proven they can beat Shesterkin when they want to. They've proven they can kill NYR powerplays. They've proven their 5on5 game is superior, and at times, dominant. And, as much as we can question Freddie Andersen on the excellent shot selection by Jacob Trouba, Andersen still had a very good game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad