Stuart Skinner worst playoff sv% since Cloutier.

WATTAGE4451

Jan 4, 2018
Mike Smith's .913 in 16 games 2 years ago at 40 years old doesn't look too bad now, does it?
Smith would play really well for most the game, but then would let in some mindboggling bad goals. King ofnthe super softy. But overall he played well.

Reactions: Realgud

loudi94

Master of my Domain
Jul 8, 2003
Alberta
For the life of me I cannot understand why they wouldn't give up a 3rd rounder to get Allen at the deadline as an insurance policy. At best it was a short-sighted decision.

Reactions: Czechboy

Daishi

Apr 12, 2010
Can't people there are people defending him, his play has been unacceptable
Fans I sort of understand. They're emotional and prone to joining cults of personality. The coaches and management though who continuously keep feeding Skinner starts are like degenerate gamblers: "How much worse can it get? The luck is surely about to change soon. Just have to keep on dumping games and then it'll all be worth it in the end..."

expy

Nov 2, 2010
He's been absolute garbage, I can't believe they started him in game 3.
Even putting him back in during the last minutes of the 3rd for the empty net I think was a jynx.

White Out 902

I'm usually right.
Aug 17, 2017
Cape Breton Island
That's just not true however. High danger chances were 4 to 1 in Oil's favour. Silov allows 2 goals less than is expected while the Skinmeister allows 2 goals more than is expected (about).

In short, no, it's not because the D is bad. It's because Skinner can't make a save. An average goalie with advanced stats in the median would've won the Oil each of these games.

What does it say then, for that stat, that the canucks 3rd stringer is outplaying the oilers starter?

advanced stats are voodoo.

oceanchild

Jul 5, 2009
Whitehorse, YT
As a Canucks fan this is why I didn’t understand why so many talking heads took Edmonton. Like, sure they are the favorites but with that goaltending how can it be so lopsided. Then as a Canucks fan people were calling me a homer for pointing out that Edmonton had poor goaltending and that opens the door for a series win and it’s a closer series then being labelled.

Thanks for all you do Skinner.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Goals 2 and 3 were off bad defensive zone. Cover by McDavid going to the boards when ekholm had the man leaving Boeser wide open in the slot. Then Foegle gives the puck away in transition.

Literally every goal ever scored is off of a bad defensive zone coverage.
That's the purpose of having a goalie, to occasionally save one or 2 of them.

Stuart Skinner literally saves NONE.

He's waaay below in expected save%

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
Skinner was okay but he is the epitome of mid. its why i HATE whenever some person says "oh a regular goalie wins you the series lol" after Colorado and Vegas. You know WHY those two succeeded? because they are competent. Skinner aint it. If I am edmonton, this is the final straw of Stu Skinner.

Kamus

Oct 21, 2005
It’s incredible how people here don’t realize that good goalies(not even great ones) cover teams lapses which all teams have. Yesterday Oilers had a 70 CF% and 57 HDCF% difference is Vancouvers goalie made stops.

In the whole series Oilers are 62% and 60%. As for the last couple of years the difference is goaltending. Which is a part of the team. And Which is 100% on Holland

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Which goal was his fault tonight? 2 of the goals were point blank walk ins with no defense. One was a deflection.
Yes. He was not in position to challenge either of them. He wasn't squaring off against the shooter at all. Did absolutely nothing to cut off the angle.

The 3rd goal he was sitting on his ass. What goalie makes a save by sitting on their ass?

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
The Oilers tend to outshoot their opponents heavily but allow a average number of breakdowns where a goal is expected.

The Canucks all playoffs long have not been shooting with very much volume, but have created enough chances regardless. They literally just made Saros look like a statistically bad goalie one series prior.

The way both teams are playing is the perfect storm for destroying save percentage. The exact same thing happened to Markstrom against Edmonton in 2022 and then right through the next season as one of the best shot suppression teams in the league. Shot suppression combined with the usual number of dangerous chances. You're going to allow just as many goals but not have any of the extra rubber to pump your numbers.

I'm not saying Skinner isn't allowing some stoppable goals, but staring at SV% without considering the context is going to be very misleading. It's like how analysts said PK was an area of weakness for the Golden Knights heading into the conference finals last year without looking at who they'd played.

Reactions: Osakahaus

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
How long are people going to blame the goaltending? Are we watching the same things? Years and years now of McDavid and Drai being at center ice as soon as the puck is on their defenders sticks waiting for break away passes. Instead of defending, they are cherry picking at the blue line.

Sure they will continue to put up insane numbers between their skillsets and PP because they are simply cheating for offense all game long. And yet again, the playoffs expose their lack of defending. And people are still trying to blame the goalie or the coach.

They don't play the right way to win.

Czechboy

Ceší do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
It is getting very hard to defend Stu. I had hope for him rebounding. However, I had no hope for our D being any different than they were last year. Shit D with shakey goalie is a real problem. I can think of 25 million reasons why we should've had a backup and better D.

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
Skinner is highly overrated by Edmonton, especially the media. I have not been impressed by Skinner all season long. The Oilers for the most part under Knoblauch have played pretty solid defensively. Skinner rarely during the season was the better goalie in games. In the playoffs he is definitely not good enough. No other team would keep playing a goalie who has performed this poorly in net in the playoffs.

Skinner is a good positional goalie that lacks speed, agility and he is not very talented. If a puck is not within a small range of where he is positioned, he cannot stop it He was not good in the LA series and even worse in this series. The disappointing part is the Oilers have played really good defensively for the most part in these playoffs, an impressive improvement over past seasons and they can't even get routine saves most games. No team wins in the playoffs without having a goalie that can make some quality saves either.

Last edited:
Reactions: DingDongCharlie

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
cloutier ruined the naslund/bertuzzi canucks... yeah
Were those Canuck teams good enough to be final 4 in the league for the 3-4 window that Naslund/Bertuzzi dominated?

A better goalie than Cloutier would be important but was the team deep enpugh offensively and strong enough at defensr to beat Red Wings, Stars, Devils, Avs and other heavy contenders of that era?

I didnt watch those teams so was curious if those canuck teams were better than a fully healthy 2024 canuck team?

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Oiler fans complaining that they’d be leading the series with average AHL goaltending.
Maybe Holland should have gone out and got that then.

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
Smith would play really well for most the game, but then would let in some mindboggling bad goals. King ofnthe super softy. But overall he played well.
I used to get on Smith but the one thing I give him credit for is he could reach that next level and play great games and make great saves. This Oilers teams plays much better defensively then the Oilers teams he played for. Skinner has shown no ability to raise his game and at the moment he is not even reliable to make average saves. I feel nervous about every shot he faces, anything can go in.

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
The Oilers tend to outshoot their opponents heavily but allow a average number of breakdowns where a goal is expected.

The Canucks all playoffs long have not been shooting with very much volume, but have created enough chances regardless. They literally just made Saros look like a statistically bad goalie one series prior.

The way both teams are playing is the perfect storm for destroying save percentage. The exact same thing happened to Markstrom against Edmonton in 2022 and then right through the next season as one of the best shot suppression teams in the league. Shot suppression combined with the usual number of dangerous chances. You're going to allow just as many goals but not have any of the extra rubber to pump your numbers.

I'm not saying Skinner isn't allowing some stoppable goals, but staring at SV% without considering the context is going to be very misleading. It's like how analysts said PK was an area of weakness for the Golden Knights heading into the conference finals last year without looking at who they'd played.
The bigger issue, to me, is that Edmonton gives up THE BEST chances to the Canucks, and Silovs is doing whats needed just to win. Its not amazing but it gets the job done.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad