Stuart Skinner worst playoff sv% since Cloutier.

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
Normally I'm all for crucifying a goaltender, but the defensive breakdowns that led to the goals last night were hilarious. I think greaser fans are reaching trying to blame the goaltender because of how bad their defensive system are, and, how many high danger chances they surrendered. I'm not going to cry any tears for a team that has been gifted so many number one picks. I wish them nothing but failure in the postseason
Every team gives up some good scoring chances in the playoffs, every single one of them. The difference is if you want to win the Cup you need your goalie to make some quality saves once in awhile. Overall the Oilers defensive play has been good throughout these playoffs (Low shots against and low quality scoring chances), Skinner was even bad against LA. The Issue is not one game with him.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Both Boeser goals he was left all alone in front of the net by the McDavid line.
That’s not on Skinner.
Sure, but sometimes goalies make hard saves (in fact most goalies make hard saves more often than they don't). With that said, this thread is about Skinner's entire playoff sample not just last night's game.

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
Sure, but sometimes goalies make hard saves (in fact most goalies make hard saves more often than they don't). With that said, this thread is about Skinner's entire playoff sample not just last night's game.
Yeah exactly. You need your goalie to make some quality saves in the playoffs, the Oilers are not even getting reliable routine saves in these playoffs.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Every team gives up some good scoring chances in the playoffs, every single one of them. The difference is if you want to win the Cup you need your goalie to make some quality saves once in awhile. Overall the Oilers defensive play has been good throughout these playoffs (Low shots against and low quality scoring chances), Skinner was even bad against LA. The Issue is not one game with him.
HDC.png

This one's for the people claiming that Skinner is failing because of all the chances being given up by the D in front of him.

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
Interesting enough Skinner faced 9.31 HD shots against per 60 last year compared to 6.45 HD shots this year. So you're probably right in that assessment.
Yeah, I am not really an advanced stats guy so I depend more on the eye test but I think the glaring defensive errors were far more frequent and noticeable last season in the playoffs compared to this season.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Yeah, I am not really an advanced stats guy so I depend more on the eye test but I think the glaring defensive errors were far more frequent and noticeable last season in the playoffs compared to this season.
Fair advanced stats only give part of the picture and some information on which team is getting shots off/more looks in higher danger areas. I also don't look at or apply advanced stats to an opinion unless I actually watched the games (which obviously I did).

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
Fair advanced stats only give part of the picture and some information on which team is getting shots off/more looks in higher danger areas. I also don't look at or apply advanced stats to an opinion unless I actually watched the games (which obviously I did).
Totally understand., I am not discounting the stats, I just don't study them.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Totally understand., I am not discounting the stats, I just don't study them.
For sure. I will say on a large sample they seem to line up well in my experience from watching and then looking at the overall advanced stats as well as sometimes looking at the actual shots that were counted as high danger chances. There's obviously some outlier games where high danger chances are a little bit suspect and are awarded solely because of where a shot was taken, but was contested well or a very poor quality shot was executed, but generally they hold up well when you're looking at them on a regular basis.

innitfam

Oct 18, 2017
I wouldn't have favored them but you're in the finals and are 4 wins away. I wouldn't rule anything as "no chance" and playoff history suggests the same.
I suppose that's true. Putting it differently, I wouldn't have liked their chances very much.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
The thing about skinner is that almost every one of the goals scored against him can be explained away.

Screened shot
Shot had eyes
Rebound
High danger area
Cross crease pass

Individually the goals are not bad. But collectively he only stops 88 out of 100 and that is just not good enough.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
He’s just below league average in the regular season and implodes every post season. Its madness we keep playing the same players who routinely show you who they are expecting a different result.

What I’m saying is Skinner absolutely should NOT be the starter on a team claiming to be a legit contender.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
Why ? His team wasn't anywhere close to even being in the playoffs, things changed after he got fired.

Skinner was the whole reason he got fired. He played at an atrocious level to start the year then went to 915 immediately as Knoblaunch got hired

Are we just playing devils advocate here or...?

Jay Woodcroft kept going back to this sieve last year when average goaltending could have got the Oilers past the Knights. He can eat shit while grinning.

BTW this is a much tougher series than the LVK one from last year.

They haven't had average goaltending in the McDavid era besides Mike Smith in the playoffs if I can remember right

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
He’s a backup, made out to be as a starter. He has a .796SV% in this series and that sounds about right for what he is, a backup.

Honestly. You’re being too kind.

An NHL backup should least be capable of a .890+ in the playoffs. Teams 2nd and 3rd stringers routinely own us. I’d expect a better save percentage than .796 from any random AHL journeyman call up.

WATTAGE4451

Jan 4, 2018
Mike smith was even bad
Skinner was the whole reason he got fired. He played at an atrocious level to start the year then went to 915 immediately as Knoblaunch got hired

They haven't had average goaltending in the McDavid era besides Mike Smith in the playoffs if I can remember right
Mike smith was even bad his first year there.

Smith was fine the year they made the conference finals and lost to colorado. Yes he let in some bad goals, especially one of the worst ever vs calgary, but he otherwise played well and made a lot of great saves and played above average if not for those blooper reel goals.

Edmonton was just outclassed by the avalanche in the conference finals. That wasnt on him

Reactions: McFlyingV

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Don’t forget a questionable goalie coach who’s ranked the stats of every goalie when they came to Edmonton. I really think a lot of it is Dustin Schwartz. He played at the university of Alberta then somehow scored a job right away as the oilers goalie coach. During his run, most of the goaltending they got was awful too.

Even worse when you realize Mike Smith the only decent goalie we had brought in his own goalie coach. This organization is beyond clueless top to bottom

He's also dead last in Goals Against at 3.49 among playoff goalies with 20+ games since 1990.

He loves being in the record books in his Oiler jersey

Reactions: Leafshater67

Daishi

Apr 12, 2010
Hate to pile on but Skinner never really passed “the eye test” to me. Very average lateral movement, reflexes, and athleticism for an NHL starting goalie.

The contrast is pretty stark to Sliovs, who looks like prime MAF in comparison
MAF is a good example to bring up in another sense too. I always thought of McJesus and Drai as modern Crosby and Malkin. The only difference is that the Pens drafted MAF while the Oil hauled a troop of baboons from the local zoo and dressed them up as goalies.

Elvis P

Chips from the chocolate fireball
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
Whose fault is the Oilers giving up goals and losing in the playoffs every year? Hockey is a team sport.

• Haha
Reactions: McFlyingV

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad