TBN: Tage Thompson: He's fit. He's tanned. He's ready to dominate.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
It’s not his fault who he was traded for. What i saw was a guy who struggled, was sent down and worked his giraffe tail off to become a force down there...and then hit the worst luck when he earned his call back with the injury. But you have to appreciate the work he put in and hope it pays off for him and the team.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
It’s not his fault who he was traded for. What i saw was a guy who struggled, was sent down and worked his giraffe tail off to become a force down there...and then hit the worst luck when he earned his call back with the injury. But you have to appreciate the work he put in and hope it pays off for him and the team.
Following up what was a lot of work and improvement in Rochester pre-injury last season with taking full advantage of the long layoff in terms of adding the muscle that he needed to succeed should have everyone pretty happy about how he has been developing since coming here. Now he has a hell of an opportunity to show where his game is at.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
I love sea lions as well:

Did you know in our first season as a publicity stunt when we played the Seals we arranged for their owner Charlie O'Finley to be greeted by a live seal at center ice at The Aud (I've been trying to find a picture of this forever but with no luck)?

This belongs in the Jeff Skinner thread.

Reactions: Der Jaeger

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Yup, Botts is an a**hat, but that doesn't mean I will hate on Thompson for ever. I really hope he becomes a legit top-6 winger and, as you alluded to, I really, really respect the amount of work he's supposedly put into his game.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Its funny how perception shapes reality.

Tage kills his line, bust, bum, etc

Hall/Jack/Tage (6:40mins together last night)

CF% ——> 64% (7 to 4)
SF% ——> 67% (4 to 2)
SCF% —> 100% (4 to 0)
HDCF% -> 100% (3 to 0)
xGF% —-> 93%

If thats “killing” a line then can we have more lines get killed please.

I think Sam is a better fit on that line but Tage was doing the opposite of killing it.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Sabres aren't tanking but their division is going to tank them.
We also have a Hall that can lure the first choice.

Adams and Krueger: We sign Taylor Hall to win the first draft pick and take on a truly great prospect (spoiler: and to ruin it later). :naughty:

Reactions: Team Cozens

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
We also have a Hall that can lure the first choice.

Adams and Krueger: We sign Taylor Hall to win the first draft pick and take on a truly great prospect (spoiler: to ruin it later). :naughty:
I'm just so tired of prospects.... we need to trade our first rounder for help now.

Nylander, Mittelstadt, Asplund. Our next great hope takes too long.
MAYBE Cozens and Quinn turn out but obviously nothing is guaranteed.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
I'm just so tired of prospects.... we need to trade our first rounder for help now.

Nylander, Mittelstadt, Asplund. Our next great hope takes too long.
MAYBE Cozens and Quinn turn out but obviously nothing is guaranteed.
With the right development, they can all be good players, but this requires at least an adequate coach. Why don't Heiskanen or Q. Hughes degrade? What did they want to do with Dahlin when they told him to gain weight, why? To make a second Risto out of him or what? It's such a joke. And we still do not know that in fact Krueger and Smith are whispering in Dahlin's ear, maybe they are drumming in complete nonsense, and then Cozens will become their victim.

explore

I was wrong about Don Granato and TNT
Jun 28, 2011

CF% ——> 64% (7 to 4)
SF% ——> 67% (4 to 2)
SCF% —> 100% (4 to 0)
HDCF% -> 100% (3 to 0)
xGF% —-> 93%

I think Sam is a better fit on that line but Tage was doing the opposite of killing it.

Tage also wasn't winning any puck battles or creating plays. He's a third-liner inexplicably playing in the top-six. If he brought toughness to the lineup that'd be one thing, but he looks like a less talented Taylor Pyatt at this rate

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017

CF% ——> 64% (7 to 4)
SF% ——> 67% (4 to 2)
SCF% —> 100% (4 to 0)
HDCF% -> 100% (3 to 0)
xGF% —-> 93%

I don't know if any player is capable of killing a line with two all-stars, so most of the reactions are definitely overreactions. But I did think that a good number of possessions ended on his stick last night.

Eichel and Hall would probably be better complimented by someone playing a much simpler game:
  • when they have the puck go to the net
  • when the puck goes into the corners dig it out and get it back to one of them
Occassionally he'll go to the net when he decides to lower his shoulder on the rush (something we still don't see enough of), but otherwise Tage seems to naturally gravitate to the perimeter.

I know this is oversimplifying it, but that line looked much more dynamic when they elevated Sam.

Reactions: Tatanka

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Tage also wasn't winning any puck battles or creating plays. He's a third-liner inexplicably playing in the top-six. If he brought toughness to the lineup that'd be one thing, but he looks like a less talented Taylor Pyatt at this rate
I’m not arguing he made that line go or was a key cog of it. I’m pointing out the line dominated play with him on it so he clearly wasn’t “killing the line” (as many have been complaining). I also said I thought Sam was a better fit on the line so Tage should be moved off it.

Last edited:

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I don't know if any player is capable of killing a line with two all-stars, so most of the reactions are definitely overreactions. But I did think that a good number of possessions ended on his stick last night.

Eichel and Hall would probably be better complimented by someone playing a much simpler game:
  • when they have the puck go to the net
  • when the puck goes into the corners dig it out and get it back to one of them
Occassionally he'll go to the net when he decides to lower his shoulder on the rush (something we still don't see enough of), but otherwise Tage seems to naturally gravitate to the perimeter.

I know this is oversimplifying it, but that line looked much more dynamic when they elevated Sam.
As I posted, I not advocating he stay there. I think Sam is a much better fit for what they need. I was just dispelling the overheated criticism that he was “killing” that line. As you mention, killing that line would be hard to do.

Last edited:

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
I think we gotta give Thompson some time. He seems to look great in limited contact situations like training camp, but has a hard time with NHL game speed. Let him be 13th forward for a bit, get into games and do injury fill ins. It doesn't mean he's a bust, just that he needs more time. He needs to play a simple game. He has "fancy play syndrome" where he thinks he has to toe drag or make a fancy pass rather than just playing a strong, simple game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad