Team Board Mock Draft

Who will the Senators pick?

• Michael Brandsegg-Nygard, F, Mora IK (SWE)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Alfons Freij, D, Vaxjo (SWE)

• Adam Jiricek, D, HC Plzen (Cze)

• Beckett Sennecke, RW, Oshawa (OHL)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Exactly, and that's what I'm saying with Silayev. I don't see a player with much of an offensive game right now, but like Chara he has exceptional physical tools, and sometimes guys who are that big, that strong, that mobile and have enough puck skills blossom into offensive contributors at the NHL level.
Chara’s offence came from outlet passes, Silayev does that and his bomb of a shot, 6’7” gives great leverage. I’m not worried about production.

Reactions: Icelevel and WallyD

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Exactly, and that's what I'm saying with Silayev. I don't see a player with much of an offensive game right now, but like Chara he has exceptional physical tools, and sometimes guys who are that big, that strong, that mobile and have enough puck skills blossom into offensive contributors at the NHL level.
I don't think he needs to develop that degree of offense to be a great pick at 7.

20-30 pts a season and being a mean, elite defender is great.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Chara had offence. That's one of the big questions with Silayev, is whether he can develop an offensive game to level of a someone like Chara.
Its hard to say he can't . I think his tools are ahead of Chara's when he broke in. He started the year putting up numbers that brought him attention. That tailed off but at 17 in the KHL it would not surprise me at all if he was told to focus on his defense. He held his own in a very good league , at a very young age. His defence was very good . His range is very good. He was physical and hits hard. His transition game was I would call good but needs continued development.. offense in what I saw was very keep it simple.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Its hard to say he can't . I think his tools are ahead of Chara's when he broke in. He started the year putting up numbers that brought him attention. That tailed off but at 17 in the KHL it would not surprise me at all if he was told to focus on his defense. He held his own in a very good league , at a very young age. His defence was very good . His range is very good. He was physical and hits hard. His transition game was I would call good but needs continued development.. offense in what I saw was very keep it simple.
Makes sense for such a young player in his first full season in a higher level league. I don't feel lucky that the Senators will get him #7.

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site
I don't think he needs to develop that degree of offense to be a great pick at 7.

I'm not saying that he needs to put X points a year to be a good pick at 7. The discussion I was having was about what his offensive upside might be, given what we've seen from him, because that upside factors into his relative value as a prospect.

Part of evaluating a prospect is projecting their range of possible outcomes and the likelihood of them reaching any particular point on that range. If we thought today that Silayev's absolute best case scenario was contributing 20-30 points, plus all the other things he should be able to do well, that would be a less valuable prospect than a Silayev who we think might have 50 point upside (Chara) or even 70+ upside (Hedman).

hockey20000

Dec 23, 2018
not high on silayev tbh but at 7 the better options might be taken and if its him or dickenson i think would say pick silayev..

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
With Silayev, the question is almost more "what kind of offence might eventually be there?", because he doesn't really have an offensive game right now.

With guys like Yakemchuk, Parekh or Dickinson, we kind of can see what they do and it's a matter of projecting their skillsets and styles to the NHL. With Silayev, it's more theoretical - what kind of offence might emerge from a guy with his size, mobility and functional puck skills? Chara, to use a best case example, wasn't producing offence as a prospect, but he was such a unicorn athletically that he turned a fairly modest offensive skillset into 40-50 points and 10-20 goals a season.

I hope people really keep that in mind. Chara is like the dictionary definition of a unicorn. The odds of seeing a Chara v2.0 in our lifetime is really, really small.

Reactions: DrEasy

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Chara had offence. That's one of the big questions with Silayev, is whether he can develop an offensive game to level of a someone like Chara.
At this point in their respective careers Silayev is way way way ahead of Chara from a skating and puck handling standpoint. Chara is a unicorn situation, probably shouldnt be compared to him. I have seen the way Silayev can handle the puck and skate. I want to know if he is mean. You win championships with players with his skillset. Look at what Vancouver's D is doing to Mcdavid right now. The sens have very little like him, I wish he was a RD but there is no way he makes it to them if he does. I actually dont think there is any chance Anaheim doesnt pick him. They have everything in terms of young players and prospects. They dont have a monster D man.

Bingo. With his skating he is going to be next to impossible to beat one on one. Anyone know if he has a mean streak?

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Just looking at stats, Silayev is 207 pounds (looking at the elite prospects page). Kid needs a good 25 pounds, at least, if he wants to survive as a physical player in the NHL. I haven't seen the kid so I have no idea if he can put on that weight, or be like a Logan Brown and stay a string bean and get injured all the time.

That is one of the things you have to look at with the really tall kids. Height is great, but you also need to be able to put on the muscle to protect it, too. Especially for a defenseman.

But like I said, I haven't watched this kid at all, so I have no idea.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Just looking at stats, Silayev is 207 pounds (looking at the elite prospects page). Kid needs a good 25 pounds, at least, if he wants to survive as a physical player in the NHL. I haven't seen the kid so I have no idea if he can put on that weight, or be like a Logan Brown and stay a string bean and get injured all the time.

That is one of the things you have to look at with the really tall kids. Height is great, but you also need to be able to put on the muscle to protect it, too. Especially for a defenseman.

But like I said, I haven't watched this kid at all, so I have no idea.
He's 17 years old. He has 7 more years of filling out to do he will easily get to that weight. I dont think thats something to worry about. Alot of 17 year olds that are that height sit in the 190 range that would be concerning.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
He's 17 years old. He has 7 more years of filling out to do he will easily get to that weight. I dont think thats something to worry about. Alot of 17 year olds that are that height sit in the 190 range that would be concerning.

Yes, but it's all about the frame at that point. Some people just have skinny frames. It works on the runway in Paris, but not along the corners of an NHL rink. And there's also added weight and skating....depending on how his mechanics are, adding 25+ pounds could affect that. And again, I haven't watched the kid so I don't know. lol...it's not like the 80s though, where a guy puts on 5 pounds and completely loses his skating ability, for sure. But it's still something for the experts to look at with the kid and factor all that stuff into what they project him to be.

Reactions: BoardsofCanada

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Yes, but it's all about the frame at that point. Some people just have skinny frames. It works on the runway in Paris, but not along the corners of an NHL rink. And there's also added weight and skating....depending on how his mechanics are, adding 25+ pounds could affect that. And again, I haven't watched the kid so I don't know. lol...it's not like the 80s though, where a guy puts on 5 pounds and completely loses his skating ability, for sure. But it's still something for the experts to look at with the kid and factor all that stuff into what they project him to be.
It's proven over and over again big players take longer to fill out and develop into their bodies. He's playing against men as a 17 year old if he was built like a 'Paris model' he would not survive he would probably be in fashion. 207 pounds is quite large for that age. Anyways I think it's a pipe dream to get him at 7 there's no way he's not picked by then.

Reactions: Cosmix

BoardsofCanada

Aug 26, 2009
G.T.A.
I just think a guy 6'7 and barely 200 pounds is going to be constantly injured. The freakishly tall guys rarely work out.

Chara was an anomaly. He trained harder than 99% of the league. Didn't he train with Olympic wrestlers in the off season? I doubt Silayev has Chara's work ethic. Who does?

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Also don’t underestimate Kleven.
I think he can play on the second pair.
If we picked silayev or dickinson..even if they only become a third pair LD then we’d look very good on that side with

Sanderson
Kleven
Silayev/Dickinson
Andonovsky
Nordberg
Wallberg

On right we’d have to sign someone/trade and/or draft later cause,
Zub
Stanley
JBD
Guenette

Although with the LD that’s not a horrible start.
So turn chychrun, chabot, brannstrom into a top 4 RD and we should be fine.

Reactions: Cosmix

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
It's proven over and over again big players take longer to fill out and develop into their bodies. He's playing against men as a 17 year old if he was built like a 'Paris model' he would not survive he would probably be in fashion. 207 pounds is quite large for that age. Anyways I think it's a pipe dream to get him at 7 there's no way he's not picked by then.

Well, I'm not for or against picking the kid. I just wonder about how he'll fill out and develop. Feels like the bigger they are (above the 6'2" mark), the bigger the risk, when it comes to the teenagers. But there's also one hell of a lot of upside if you do end up with a Chara.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
If all the top forwards are gone in the top 5 picks and it’s all the Dmenleft to choose from I could see Ottawa trading down

Celebrini
Lindstrom
Demidov
Iginla
Catton

Levshunov
Seliyav
Dickinson
Yakemchum
Buiim
Paresh

Ottawa could conceivable trade down to 12-13 and still get their guy

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
I just dont understand why you think another Hoffman would help this team in any way right now. Thats really not the type of player you win with. They also already have skilled perimeter forwards. Eiserman is the last player the sens should be looking at. This is one of the softest teams in the league. Undersized one dimensional scoring wingers are probably the easiest asset to acquire in hockey. I also dont understand the mind set of prioritizing the speed in which people want the player to start contributing. What matters is getting the best player. The player that projects to being the best player. This team is no where close to winning a stanley cup.

He has tremendous edges and skill, his breakout pass is also elite. Secondly all the teams with big D cores are winning and going deep into the playoffs. He has all the tools to be an all around every situation D man. If anything the NHL is prioritizing size again. His development curve is going to be a longer one, the tools are tantalizing.

Look at the difference of how Vancouver is handling Mcdavid and L.A. Vancouver has a monster D core outside of their elite puck movers who skate very well. L.A was on the smallish side and he ate them up. He even talked about how hard it was to play against.
I suppose the argument for Eisermann is what he has cannot be taught. The other parts can.

I like the Yakemchuk kid, his size and shot are missing on the right side

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site

To this point, Tyler Myers when he was drafted was listed at 6'7", 204. He's now listed at around 230 pounds.

On the other end of the spectrum, Jamie Oleksiak was listed at 6'7", 241(!) at the draft. He plays at 256 pounds now.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Also don’t underestimate Kleven.
I think he can play on the second pair.
If we picked silayev or dickinson..even if they only become a third pair LD then we’d look very good on that side with

Sanderson
Kleven
Silayev/Dickinson
Andonovsky
Nordberg
Wallberg

On right we’d have to sign someone/trade and/or draft later cause,
Zub
Stanley
JBD
Guenette

Although with the LD that’s not a horrible start.
So turn chychrun, chabot, brannstrom into a top 4 RD and we should be fine.
I thought we had one more day to pick, but would have gone with Silayev. He gives me Chara vibes. But, I haven’t watched these prospects play, so all I’m basing my decision on is what I read (mostly in here). So, I recognize that this isn’t that much to go on.

As for our RD pipeline, we are pretty thin imho. I see more 3rd pair potential that top 4 potential. I should note once again that this is based on what I have seen which is not a lot. There’s the odd person in here that is more optimistic which does confuse me. I’m not sure if they are seeing something that I’m missing, or if they are just more optimistic.

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island
Columbus isn't picking Lindstrom so this whole Team's Draft is already a dud. They have their centers in Fantili, Johnson and Sillinger. They most certainly will pick a defenseman.

My Dman rankings:

1. Levshunov
2. Silayev
3. Buium
4. Dickinson
5. Parekh
6. Yakemchuk

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I don’t care about offence if I can get a massive, mean, great skating D.
This then IMO comes down to two guys Yakemchuk RD & Silayev LD & Yakemchuk is a RD which we need & he has shown he has a very good offensive skillset which means he can also put up pts, just as many as Dickinson another big D, but with much less meaness in his game. Yakemchuk along with 71 pts put up 120 minutes in penalties which I expect whoever drafts him to work on reducing that number a little.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad