The Roster Thread, Summer 2024

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
Is Dylan Strome an decent 3C option? He's a name I haven't seen around here who might be an option. I feel like he played pretty well in Washington, and they are one of the few teams who might value prospects the most. No trade protection. They might even trade him for the #11 pick.
Strome would be a 2C option on our squad. He's not even bad on faceoffs.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Is Dylan Strome an decent 3C option? He's a name I haven't seen around here who might be an option. I feel like he played pretty well in Washington, and they are one of the few teams who might value prospects the most. No trade protection. They might even trade him for the #11 pick.

Dylan Strome would be a decent secondary offensive center. Unless we are going all in on the Cozens as the matchup center, that wouldn't make a ton of sense, especially for the 11th OA pick.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest

Ehran

Sponsor
Feb 2, 2019
Texas
The Toronto Maple Leafs Pagan Jug Band.

How did that not equal John Tavares immediately?

:sarcasm:
It could have been Peanuts, jelly, and bologna!!

Okay.... ew, that sounds gross. Almost as gross as trading for Tavares.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
The Toronto Maple Leafs Pagan Jug Band.

How did that not equal John Tavares immediately?

:sarcasm:

I think it is pretty easy. People tend to forget that John played the spoons with TMLPJB, and mostly just remember Jebediah Matthews on the washboard and BillyBob Marner and his mesmerizing performances on the cowbell.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Dylan Strome would be a decent secondary offensive center. Unless we are going all in on the Cozens as the matchup center, that wouldn't make a ton of sense, especially for the 11th OA pick.
I think he's better than Cozens presently, defensively, but Cozens has more upside in that regard. While neither of them is ROR, I feel the two of them together can situationally handle matchups pretty well. Especially if our 4th line can also hold up well defensively.

What do you think a fair price would be, that would tempt Washington? A Rosen or Ostlund ain't gonna cut.

Strome would be a 2C option on our squad. He's not even bad on faceoffs.
Any thoughts on trade bait?

I'd be interested in both him and Dowd in a larger deal too.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
I think he's better than Cozens presently, defensively, but Cozens has more upside in that regard. While neither of them is ROR, I feel the two of them together can situationally handle matchups pretty well. Especially if our 4th line can also hold up well defensively.

What do you think a fair price would be, that would tempt Washington? A Rosen or Ostlund ain't gonna cut.

I'm looking at it from Washington's point of view.

They just made the playoffs. Backstrom may be done done. You take Strome off this team, they simply don't have another 50pt+ center. Strome is signed for 4 more years at 5M per.

The only thing that really makes sense is that they are buying from us and Strome is a big piece of the deal. Like Strome ++ For Tage or something.

I don't think a pick or prospect makes sense from their POV. They need to have enough good players around Ovechkin to get him the goal record.

Personally I'd probably value him at a mid first + prospect, so I guess 11th OA is a decent value there. For me to offer up the 11th though, it simply has to be a perfect fit, and I don't think Strome is.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
It seems like we are too keen to just put 11OA into a deal. I am guilty of it myself.
Here's how I'd rank our asset value...where does 11OA fit in? I have a feeling the opinions vary widely among the fans.

Most valuable: Savoie
Kulich
11OA
Rosen
Ostlund
R. Johnson
Wahlburg
Strbak
Least valuable: a bunch of other prospects no one needs.

They just made the playoffs. Backstrom may be done done. You take Strome off this team, they simply don't have another 50pt+ center. Strome is signed for 4 more years at 5M per.

The only thing that really makes sense is that they are buying from us and Strome is a big piece of the deal. Like Strome ++ For Tage or something.

I don't think a pick or prospect makes sense from their POV. They need to have enough good players around Ovechkin to get him the goal record.

Personally I'd probably value him at a mid first + prospect, so I guess 11th OA is a decent value there. For me to offer up the 11th though, it simply has to be a perfect fit, and I don't think Strome is.
Okay, I actually figured they start tanking for the 2025 draft, which is loaded. Focusing on Ovie getting his records while they wait for the next wave of kids to develop. If that's not the case, there's no way they'd trade either one of Strome or Dowd.

Reactions: Chainshot

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY

Yes, but it's mostly all pieces we wouldn't want to give up. I don't want to see Benson, Savoie, Byram, Power, Quinn or Peterka included in a deal and it would be badly counter-productive to include any of our seasoned key pieces. If they're interested in one of our B-level prospects with A-level upside, that's more appealing...I could see a Kulich, Ostlund, #11OA, Rosen, Komarov, Wahlberg type of an ask being made. That's assuming Washington is looking to get younger which they probably are.

Hard to believe any team would deal away two centers in one deal but it would be nice for us for sure. I still think we can just sign Chandler Stephenson without giving anything up and get as good or better of a 3C than Dowd for freezies.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA

Strome would be a fine target for 2C.......but there's no ++ on Washington that makes any sense for us whatsoever to make it a bigger deal.

In fact, the only real piece on Washington that interests me at all might be Dowd. Possibly Nick Jensen.

But that would mean that Washington is ready to rebuild........and with Ovi chasing the record, they're unlikely to rebuild until that's over with.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Okay, I actually figured they start tanking for the 2025 draft, which is loaded. Focusing on Ovie getting his records while they wait for the next wave of kids to develop. If that's not the case, there's no way they'd trade either one of Strome or Dowd.

I'm thinking one more year after -- so they tank in 25/26. Ovi gets his record that year as a Cap, then gets dealt for one last run at a Cup somewhere and the Caps get a haul to jumpstart their rebuild.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

Diaspora

Jul 13, 2020

I think it is pretty easy. People tend to forget that John played the spoons with TMLPJB, and mostly just remember Jebediah Matthews on the washboard and BillyBob Marner and his mesmerizing performances on the cowbell.
Get that cowbell shit outta here.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Strome would be a fine target for 2C.......but there's no ++ on Washington that makes any sense for us whatsoever to make it a bigger deal.

In fact, the only real piece on Washington that interests me at all might be Dowd. Possibly Nick Jensen.

But that would mean that Washington is ready to rebuild........and with Ovi chasing the record, they're unlikely to rebuild until that's over with.

I think Jensen and Dowd are better candidates to fill out depth and then shop for another center elsewhere.

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
In a hypothetical world where a desperate defeated Edmonton makes Draisaitl available for a fair price, do you pursue that? If so, what’s the offer?

E: assume that JJP gives him an impassioned sell on Buffalo that works re:NMC

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
In a hypothetical world where a desperate defeated Edmonton makes Draisaitl available for a fair price, do you pursue that? If so, what’s the offer?

Power
Tage or Cozens -- their choice
Quinn, Savoie, Kulich, Ostlund, pick 11 this year, unprotected 1st next year -- pick 2 (I'd add JJP to this tier, but ostensibly the idea would be to keep JJP to play with his countrymate)

Sign Drai to a long-term deal at $12.5-13M AAV.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Power
Quinn, Savoie, Kulich, Ostlund, pick 11 this year, unprotected 1st next year -- pick 2 (I'd add JJP to this tier, but ostensibly the idea would be to keep JJP to play with his countrymate)

Man, that looks like it would HURT, but that's what probably makes it realistic. I'm terrible at gauging trade value, though.

From what Ive seen- he's a playoff performer as well. We'd have our elite 1C for the next 5+ years. Damn. I'm actually quite worried about our center spine, but this would go a long way in fixing it. We'd just have to hope a 2C would blossom rather quickly.

dkollidas

Nov 18, 2010
Based on Lindy’s past history I’m curious how he’ll pair our defense corps.
I’m guessing this based on one assumption… that Jokiharju is gone.

Realistically I believe he’ll start trying
Power-Dahlin
Byram-Samuelsson
BBBB-Clifton

“B” being Ryan Johnson or a UFA or a trade acquisition.

dickiedunnwrotethis

It's gotta be true.
May 16, 2009
saskatoon
Power

Given that there's only one year left on his contract do they really have the leverage to swing that kind of deal?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad