Ticket/Attendance Discussion: The Sequel

Walkingtalkingeye

Mar 28, 2012
Meanwhile, in the biggest city in Canada, a sports team is facing a similar backlash from fans.
Thanks for posting that. I've stepped back from this topic after Bettman came and everything seemed to cool down but it's nice to hear it's not just us feeling this way. This is the passage that jumped out to me:

Team performance is just one factor in the price of tickets, said Tom McDonald, MLSE’s senior vice-president of ticket sales and services.

“So much of it is determined by what the market is telling us, and what our tickets are worth,” he said, noting the organization relies on a multitude of data, including demand and economic trends.

The average increase for Raptors season tickets in 2024-25 will be about four per cent, which McDonald said is among the lowest in the league and one of the lowest for the Raptors over the past 10 years.

Season-ticket subscribers get a discount of about 15 to 20 per cent compared to single-game prices, he said.

We have thousands of prospective season-ticket holders on a wait-list," (aka we don't give a f*** about any of you on a personal level - Walkingtalkingeye) McDonald said. "We have one of the best basketball markets in North America. We are sensitive to ensuring that we have products that have a lot of value, products that mirror what the market is telling us our tickets are worth.”

These corporate ghouls are going to ruin sports eventually and unfortunately Winnipeg is the tip of that moneygrabbing spear because we're a small market. But we can't keep going up and up in ticket prices forever. Sports are supposed to be for the masses, not the few.

Reactions: SLAYER

JetsNut

Jan 28, 2015
Gonna need a source on him saying that. I had been reading every article and interview I could find leading up to and after the return and I never read a quote from him saying that, and pretty sure a comment like that would get a ton of attention.

The only people I remember saying that was fanboys in southern Ontario that couldn’t get over the fact that lowly Winnipeg was getting a team and they weren’t getting a second one. Anyone remember that guy from the old return of the Jets site that wouldn’t shut up about how Hamilton was going to get the NHL over Winnipeg? And how Chipman was actively blocking an NHL return because he loved the Moose too much?
I don’t understand why people make that crap up out of nowhere.

Reactions: roccerfeller

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Not sure where you’ve heard or read Thompson say that he didn’t want to “lose one dime on this project”. Or that he would “move the team to Toronto”. Firstly, can’t ever see him saying that nonsense. Secondly, the Leafs would NEVER allow another team to re-locate there.
Thompson never said that, just silly comment with no link or source a fan is making up or a fan with a really bad & creative imagination.

There was comments in the media about the Jets being run not unlike any business, they will spend to the cap when it makes sense and when it doesn't they won't just throw away money. Chipman also has said they will spend when it makes sense to spend. Now some creative fan is spinning that again without a source or link claiming they won't lose a dime.

TCsmyth

Mar 25, 2011
That's never been announced. TNSE is a privately held company and doesn't need to announce who owns what.

Personally I suspect that Thomson is the majority but silent owner, while Chipman is the minority owner who is active in running the team - but that's only an educated guess on my part.

The one piece of info someone did point me to: if you look at TNSE's Board of Directors you'll find 3 are associated with Osmington (Thomson), 2 associated with Chipman (Megill Stephenson), with 1 seemingly independent director (CEO of New Flyer Industries). Which suggests Thomson has a majority stake.

Correct, it is private and has never been announced - its a 50/50 entity. Soubry is not "independent" in this context.

Reactions: Mad Dog Tannen

jetsmooseice

Up Yours Robison
Feb 20, 2020
One thing that I liked about Jets TV was the more extensive post game coverage.

Yeah, as much as I like TSN's coverage it's not awesome that within 30 seconds of the buzzer sounding they have moved on to SportsCentre. Even if we can't have a full post-game show how about at least a few minutes for a brief postgame analysis, tell us who the three stars are, maybe even a quick interview.

jungles

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2011
Yeah, as much as I like TSN's coverage it's not awesome that within 30 seconds of the buzzer sounding they have moved on to SportsCentre. Even if we can't have a full post-game show how about at least a few minutes for a brief postgame analysis, tell us who the three stars are, maybe even a quick interview.
Usually they interleave the interviews with SportsCentre. Not ideal, but you get some coverage if you keep watching.

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
TSN stuck around for the 3 Stars after the Duck game. They had time though because it was still early Sunday night.

abax44

Jan 22, 2005
Back in the 90's they used to have good post game stuff and a call-in show with Bob Irving.

There was a radio show with the new Jets. Did that all die when TSN radio shut down here?

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Back in the 90's they used to have good post game stuff and a call-in show with Bob Irving.

There was a radio show with the new Jets. Did that all die when TSN radio shut down here?
maybe CJOB does? haven't tuned into them at all since they took over.

some of the Jets centric podcasts ie: Illegal Curve, WST, Level Flight and TopLyne occasionally answers questions via Twitter or YT during their live recordings. Not aware if any of them take online-questions during their post-game shows though (if they host them).

abax44

Jan 22, 2005
maybe CJOB does? haven't tuned into them at all since they took over.

some of the Jets centric podcasts ie: Illegal Curve, WST, Level Flight and TopLyne occasionally answers questions via Twitter or YT during their live recordings. Not aware if any of them take online-questions during their post-game shows though (if they host them).
Same. I'm not a radio person anymore.

I like Illegalcurve, and tune it pretty regularly, but I do find the show very disjointed and unorganized. I like the hosts, though, so I keep coming back. 😁

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
went to a game in Nashville recently.... and honestly night and day comparatively to Jets game days. some of it - maybe a lot - is evidently not a Jets problem, but even the arena, fan atmosphere/interactions, vibes was on a different level comparatively. & we were fans with no skin in the game.

this is the potential the NHL probably sees in US or similar markets and i can see why it may be super appealing to expand & be successful there.

Reactions: Gm0ney and Buffdog

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
Fraud City MB
Truthfully we are underserved by TSN for both pre and post game shows compared to what is presented by all the other markets, even in Arizona that has minimal viewership. SN flies their hosts to all away games, TSN provides a panel for all game shown for the Leafs, Sens and Habs. Here i'ts a quick signoff and on to SC for high lights of the Leafs or Raptors game if they are playing if not they will show the Jets and a quick sound bit from the arena.

jetsmooseice

Up Yours Robison
Feb 20, 2020
Did anyone else get that ticket offer from the Jets for the last two home games? 2 pairs of upper bowl tickets for $100 + taxes, so $116 all in. That's the lowest I've ever seen regular season tickets go for from an "official" channel.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad