GDT: Trades & Free Agency -- Off-season edition

LeafsFan89

Jan 2, 2011
Shanny, Keefe, Marner, Sammy, and JT (if you can) need to go. If you have to suffer with JT for next year, do not resign him. We need to change the culture of the team too.

I don't mind what Tre has done this year. But seeing what he did in Calgary kind of makes me worry. Don't know of the alternatives that exist at the moment.

Last edited:

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Shanny, Keefe, Marner, and JT (if you can) need to go. If you have to suffer with JT for next year, do not resign him. We need to change the culture of the team too.

Definitely starts with Keefe. Shanahan is a pen pusher, changing him is just so irrelevant to me, I dunno why people think it'll change anything having another president. If you're changing the president, change the GM too. Clean slate from scratch.

I have no idea what will happen this summer. I just don't see Marner traded. I can see a lot of trimming around the edges again and hopefully not wasting cap space on terrible players. A new coach to oversee the team will be very interesting.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
We don't need full value for Marner, we just need him the f*** outta here.

This.

It's not even that he played bad... it's simply that they need to change how this team approaches every game, and operate much more by comittee.

Just because you might lose "the deal" doesn't mean your team won't be better off for it.

This team needs a defenceman that is as good as, if not better than Morgan Rielly; ideally one who plays the right side.

There's simply no way to add that type of player without dropping one of your big 4 contracts up front, nevermind needing the trade value to acquire that defenceman.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Definitely starts with Keefe. Shanahan is a pen pusher, changing him is just so irrelevant to me, I dunno why people think it'll change anything having another president. If you're changing the president, change the GM too. Clean slate from scratch.

I have no idea what will happen this summer. I just don't see Marner traded. I can see a lot of trimming around the edges again and hopefully not wasting cap space on terrible players. A new coach to oversee the team will be very interesting.
Our "terrible players" were our best players in the playoffs

Domi, Bert, Edmunsom, Benoit, Lub, were playing great hockey

Tavares, Marner were unplayable

Matthews and nylander and rielly poor

This core sucks individually and collectively

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
This.

It's not even that he played bad... it's simply that they need to change how this team approaches every game, and operate much more by comittee.

Just because you might lose "the deal" doesn't mean your team won't be better off for it.

This team needs a defenceman that is as good as, if not better than Morgan Rielly; ideally one who plays the right side.

There's simply no way to add that type of player without dropping one of your big 4 contracts up front, nevermind needing the trade value to acquire that defenceman.

That's probably fair. Treliving is gonna need to put on his big boy pants because he'll need to really get down to business if he can get players to move on to teams that can afford to absorb all that salary and giving up pieces for the Leafs to use.

If you're gonna trade him for nothing, you might as well keep him, see how he does under a new coach and let him walk at the end of the year.

Reactions: kb

LeafsFan89

Jan 2, 2011

Depends. If Shanny was rumoured to approve trades and such, or fired Dubas when he hinted at trading a core 4 (among other things), then I'd say he has to go. Will never know that for sure.

I kind of hope Tre pulls a Burke in what Burke did to Kaberle - "Give me a list of teams, or I am sitting you. I wasn't the one who gave you the NMC". I think there needs to be a culture shift, and that starts at the top.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Our "terrible players" were our best players in the playoffs

Domi, Bert, Edmunsom, Benoit, Lub, were playing great hockey

Tavares, Marner were unplayable

Matthews and nylander and rielly poor

This core sucks individually and collectively

Terrible I meant Klingberg and to a lesser degree Reaves (half the season he was unplayable). We wasted and handicapped our cap space with Klingberg. Bertuzzi certainly wasn't one of our better players, he looked drunk half the time... but he battled and he was greasy for sure.

Tavares regressed a lot but the guy battled and was playing solid to me. Instrumental in game 6 with a lot of hits and assisted on the OT goal. "Unplayable" is a little much, but I know everyones pissed off so I get it. Unfortunately we're stuck with him for another season, which is not the end of the world.

I did not like Marner either and he's definitely someone that needs to go if there's something that makes sense and fits. But giving him away for nothing isn't a solution. Just let him walk next season at that rate.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
That's probably fair. Treliving is gonna need to put on his big boy pants because he'll need to really get down to business if he can get players to move on to teams that can afford to absorb all that salary and giving up pieces for the Leafs to use.

If you're gonna trade him for nothing, you might as well keep him, see how he does under a new coach and let him walk at the end of the year.

I don't think there's any world where you're trading him for "nothing". Assuming Marner doesn't want to hold the Leafs hostage and play out a lame duck year, he'll provide 2-3 teams that he wants to go to, and the return would be something.

Reactions: SprDaVE

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
Shanny gone.
Keefe gone.
All other bench coaches, gone.
Marner gone, hopefully this off season, if not, the following.
Zero chance Bert of Domi stick around with this loser core, same as all other good deadline acquisitions.
Sammy gone.
Brodie gone.
Gio gone.
Edmundson gone.
Lub gone.
Jones gone.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I don't think there's any world where you're trading him for "nothing". Assuming Marner doesn't want to hold the Leafs hostage and play out a lame duck year, he'll provide 2-3 teams that he wants to go to, and the return would be something.

Then we'll see how that transpires. I have my doubts but it's a long off-season and it can get wild. I'd love nothing more than true change to happen and restock it up.

Reactions: wingman75

Leaffan1991

Oct 22, 2016
Canada
Skjei, Dobson, Montour, McCabe, Benoit, Hakanpaa.

That should be our new D group.
It's doable if we trade Marner for Dobson and Rielly traded for a forward.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Terrible I meant Klingberg and to a lesser degree Reaves (half the season he was unplayable). We wasted and handicapped our cap space with Klingberg. Bertuzzi certainly wasn't one of our better players, he looked drunk half the time... but he battled and he was greasy for sure.

Tavares regressed a lot but the guy battled and was playing solid to me. Instrumental in game 6 with a lot of hits and assisted on the OT goal. "Unplayable" is a little much, but I know everyones pissed off so I get it. Unfortunately we're stuck with him for another season, which is not the end of the world.

I did not like Marner either and he's definitely someone that needs to go if there's something that makes sense and fits. But giving him away for nothing isn't a solution. Just let him walk next season at that rate.
Another season of the core 4 is another season closer to Matthews Decline as he ages

Keeping Marner + Tavarws tanks next year + future seasons as we dont recover any value for them

Marner needa to be dealt even if for only a 2nd + B prospect at full 11M.

Set the culture. This team wont reward and embrace losing any more

No more players who play selfish and dont deliver

Its time to be fully cutthroat like the Knights are. No more trying to be a player friendly environment where the players moods decides how we do things

Tavares you tell him he has to waive his NMC or he will be scratched next year most of the games. He likely waives his NMC and you can looj for a possible deal then

Tavares and Marner wearing the leafs sweater next year is an insult to the fans, of this team.

NMCs have been worked around by man teams. Players dont want to play where they arent welcomed

Zero1

Nov 11, 2021
I’ll probably just give up hockey if Keefe or Marner are back next season. I don’t have it in me to support another team.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Can we drive Marner outta town somehow? Put up bulletin board signs to waive his clause? If we come back with the same core four next season, that’s pure insanity.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Move Marner, let JT ride out the last year of his contract

Tavares is cooked but he showed in this playoff that he's willing to battle and grind. Used properly, he can be effective.
Dude had 2 pts in 7 games, was the #1 reason the PP sucked and couldnt generate shit for anyone

He fluked an assist in game 5 but besides that was terrible

Tavares has 23 pts in 38 games as a leaf in the playoffs

That is 50 pts per 82 for 11M. He is now a average 3C come playoffs for us

He has to be stripped of the captaincy at minimum if he doesnt waive his NMC and after that he should be booted from the organization

Reactions: PhiladelphiaKessel

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
The Marner and Tavares deals don't have to be difficult.

Marner:
To DAL: Marner (50% retained) (+2.25M)
To CHI: Liljegren, DAL 24 1st, Faksa, 50% of Marner's salary (+4.25M)
To TOR: Stankoven, Murphy (-6.5M)

Tavares:
To PHI: Tavares (immediate buyout - only way Tavares waives)
To TOR: Couturier

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
The Marner and Tavares deals don't have to be difficult.

Marner:
To DAL: Marner (50% retained) (+2.25M)
To CHI: Liljegren, DAL 24 1st, Faksa, 50% of Marner's salary (+4.25M)
To TOR: Stankoven, Murphy (-6.5M)

Tavares:
To PHI: Tavares (immediate buyout - only way Tavares waives)
To TOR: Couturier
Deal 1:

Stars probably tell Toronto to f*** off

Stankoven is 21 and looks to be a gamer. Not on the table for marner imo

Deal 2: Leafs tell Philly to f***off

Couturier is worse than Tavares with a gross deal

I like moving both guys

However aim lower for Marner and for Tavares retain 3M of needed but get back no long term committments the other wau

Reactions: TMLAM34

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
Move Marner, let JT ride out the last year of his contract

Tavares is cooked but he showed in this playoff that he's willing to battle and grind. Used properly, he can be effective.

Yeah, I don't see any use in trading Tavares, especially because we'd be looking at a major retention.

Marner... I was saying put him on the market a couple years back and see if anyone offered something enticing. Now? I just want him gone.

It's like Kadri. Even as someone who really liked Naz (I have his jersey), there was no coming back after that second suspension, and there should be no coming back for Mitch at this point. It might and likely will bite us in the end, but someone in the core needs to go and he's the obvious candidate.

Reactions: wingman75

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
Addition by subtraction has to be the mindset with a lot of these pieces.

Dream outcome would be both Tavares and Marner waiving. Regardless, they will need to be focused on making significant changes because the entire setup is rotten right now.

For god's sake don't try to rearrange the pieces around the core. It's pathetic.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad