Value of: Trevor Zegras this offseason

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I wonder if Brady Tkachuk might be an option, if Ottawa is also looking to change their team makeup (spitballing here).

As the top power forward Brady is one of the more valuable assets in the league, playmakers like Zegras don't have that type of value unless they're putting up 100 points.

I toyed with the idea of Jiricek for Zegras - the Ducks need a big minute RD with size and snarl, and maybe they can't get their guy in this draft. But I don't think the Jackets would want Zegras, he'd make them better surely but I don't think they would put more assets into playmakers, since they already have Gaudreau and Kent Johnson in that mold and need to get more serious players. That's the real issue with trading Zegras - that everyone wants to get more serious.

It's funny, I was watching the game last night, Z was doing well, scored a goal, & I wondered just how long it would take for the first "Hmmm, he's back from his broken ankle, let's see if the Ducks are willing to accept a bag of used pucks & a dozen new jocks for him..." thread to show up ... and here we are...

So far the two players people have suggested are Tkachuk and Keller, two point per game players. Pretty far from a bag of used pucks.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Does Zegras have the same value that debrincat had with the hawks? I'd be all over a package like that from the Habs. 6-8th OA plus a second.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Does Zegras have the same value that debrincat had with the hawks? I'd be all over a package like that from the Habs. 6-8th OA plus a second.
If he is moved it’s because we either got celebrini in lottery and needed to find a dmen to fill out the line up or a team overpaid to get him

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
If he is moved it’s because we either got celebrini in lottery and needed to find a dmen to fill out the line up or a team overpaid to get him
Given he’s on a high bridge and a bad season he’s certainly not getting overpaid for.

Don’t see many risking such a trade.

f course, similar to other teams , you get a top 3 pick, draft at Sam position as before high, likely sees team trading others for pieces they do need even if it means quantity for quality.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
So... they'd get a pick equal to that which was used to draft him ? And a 2nd ?

I think Debrincat isn't a good comparison for much of anything, Chicago was on a deliberate teardown to try and get Bedard, so they were in a situation where they just took the best offer available. Anaheim has no reason to do so.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Given he’s on a high bridge and a bad season he’s certainly not getting overpaid for.

f course, similar to other teams , you get a top 3 pick, draft at Sam position as before high, likely sees team trading others for pieces they do need even if it means quantity for quality.
Which is why I don’t see him being moved… people will want him at a buy lowish price and there’s no reason for us to sell at that price.

When healthy he’s been arguably best player on the team… and the team is much better when he’s in the line up.

As a ducks fan I’m fairly happy with the season

Production wasn’t where we’d want it…. But a lot of that due to injuries/puck luck/ missed camp/new system.

But he’s taken steps forward with maturity(still has work to do) but does take accountability for it, he’s been competing in all 3 zones and playing much improved on the d side of the puck.

Last edited:
Reactions: HanSolo

LuGBuG

Quack Quack
Mar 16, 2006
Ducks

If they watched every game film of him this year and did their homework, they’d realize quickly, like Ducks fans, there is no risk in Zegras. He’s a stud, Anaheim fans just have to deal with this crap until everyone else knows it too.

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Considering the Ducks currently have an 11.5% chance of picking 1st overall, I'm not sure you know what "chances" actually means in this context.
Ducks always get screwed by the draft. They'll drop a spot again just like every year of this rebuild. There was a draft where they were literally the only team to drop and were one of two teams last draft. Outside of Arizona, the Ducks probably have the some of the worst lotto luck since coming into the league. So when I say chances, I don't mean odds of them winning. I mean Ducks actually winning a lottery, especially when there's a clear #1 overall pick.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Depends where the pick land. If we’re 1-2-5-6 then its a definite no deal from me. 7-8 then I’d be open to move it for the right player and Zegras (and a few others) fits the bill.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Depends where the pick land. If we’re 1-2-5-6 then its a definite no deal from me. 7-8 then I’d be open to move it for the right player and Zegras (and a few others) fits the bill.
The problem is Anaheim needs an incentive to move zegras if we were to move him.

Idk that the guys at 7-8 are motivating enough.... i dont even think the guys at 2-4 are motivating to move zegras.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
The problem is Anaheim needs an incentive to move zegras if we were to move him.

Idk that the guys at 7-8 are motivating enough.... i dont even think the guys at 2-4 are motivating to move zegras.
Understandable. Obviously you need two to tango. My offer was based on Montreal’s willingness to trade for Zegras and the kind of package they would be willing to put on the table. I can’t speak to Anaheim’s situation, needs or willingness to move Zegras. I leave that to Ducks fans

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario

This draft doesn't have anyone beyond Celebrini who looks certain to be better than Zegras. Anaheim would have to be really sure about a particular prospect to move Zegras for them, I just don't see it happening. Otherwise it's a rebuilding team taking a step back and a big risk at a time where they really need to be taking a step forward.

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
The problem is, there's usually 2-3 players picked in the top 10 better than Zegras each year (last year probably will be the exception). Usually one of those is the #1 pick, like this year will likely be. After that it's all over the place, and in a draft where there's a huge second tier with every prospect having question marks, it's a bad idea to move Zegras for a pick. That's not considering the Ducks should be making moves to improve now and not 2-4 years from now. If he's moved, it's in a hockey trade (maybe with an add) for a RHD Verbeek sees as more important to the team going forward. Zegras isn't worth the #1 pick, but Ducks probably don't move him for the #2 this year either (and the team that holds #2 wouldn't/shouldn't do it either).

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
Montréal 2025 1st Unprotected
Calgary 2025 1st
Owen Beck

for

Trevor Zegras

+ could be added on either side to make it work

Flame away

• Haha
Reactions: dracom

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
The problem is, there's usually 2-3 players picked in the top 10 better than Zegras each year (last year probably will be the exception). Usually one of those is the #1 pick, like this year will likely be. After that it's all over the place, and in a draft where there's a huge second tier with every prospect having question marks, it's a bad idea to move Zegras for a pick. That's not considering the Ducks should be making moves to improve now and not 2-4 years from now. If he's moved, it's in a hockey trade (maybe with an add) for a RHD Verbeek sees as more important to the team going forward. Zegras isn't worth the #1 pick, but Ducks probably don't move him for the #2 this year either (and the team that holds #2 wouldn't/shouldn't do it either).
Zegras is an excellent player and while he’s probably very close in terms of value to a top 5 pick I just don’t see how a team could do that trade comfortably. Yes, you have some kids that bust or don’t amount to much but you also have ~35% chance to land on a cornerstone player like Heinskanen, Pettersson, Stutzle, Makar, Hughes etc… and that alone should be enough for teams to hold on to their pick.

To come back to the cornerstone thing. I like Zegras. A lot. I just don’t think he’s THAT guy. He’s more of a complimentary piece to me, hence why I would take my chances on the pick.

PS: Being a complimentary piece is NOT some sort of bashing of the player. For example, I also think Caufield is a complimentary piece and I LOVE the player

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Montréal 2025 1st Unprotected
Calgary 2025 1st
Owen Beck

for

Trevor Zegras

+ could be added on either side to make it work

Flame away
Prob a solid offer…. But prepare yourself…. Habs fans gunna be mad with you

I don’t necessarily do it, because I feel like zegras fills a need for us

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
Prob a solid offer…. But prepare yourself…. Habs fans gunna be mad with you

I don’t necessarily do it, because I feel like zegras fills a need for us

Probably lol, but I truly don't care

Yeah, I guess it creates a huge hole in the first two lines, but if Anaheim needs to turn around and do a quick retooling, those picks could be useful
Beck is currently our second best prospect, as far as forwards goes
He's solid, and IMO, if he realises his full potential, he could be a good two-way forward, not unlike Danault
Of course, he doesn't bring what Zegras bring, but he could be a cool band-aid

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Zegras is an excellent player and while he’s probably very close in terms of value to a top 5 pick I just don’t see how a team could do that trade comfortably. Yes, you have some kids that bust or don’t amount to much but you also have ~35% chance to land on a cornerstone player like Heinskanen, Pettersson, Stutzle, Makar, Hughes etc… and that alone should be enough for teams to hold on to their pick.

To come back to the cornerstone thing. I like Zegras. A lot. I just don’t think he’s THAT guy. He’s more of a complimentary piece to me, hence why I would take my chances on the pick.

PS: Being a complimentary piece is NOT some sort of bashing of the player. For example, I also think Caufield is a complimentary piece and I LOVE the player
I agree in a vacuum, he's probably not worth a top 5 pick most years. But part of it is situation. Ducks have one of those top 5 picks and should be nearing the end of the rebuild. Last year, he for sure wasn't worth a top 5 pick, this year I don't know if I'm that confident in the draft to move him for one. Especially with most/all of those players needing minimum of a year before coming to the NHL and most having big question marks (like Zegras did in his draft year).

Also, if you look at the last 10 years, I don't think you find 1/3 of top 5 picks being in the Makar/Q. Hughes/Pettersson level... Only about 30% of top 10 picks end up being better then Zegras (at the same age). After the #1 pick, it's usually a crap shoot.

Nico Cauzuki

Jul 19, 2009
King Of The North
I think its a tricky situation obviously Zegras is not really a Verbeek style of player but Z’s ceilling is crazy high he could become one of the best offensive players in the league so i dont see Pat moving him unless its a good hockey trade for Anaheim

Could be wrong tho will see this offseason

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I think its a tricky situation obviously Zegras is not really a Verbeek style of player but Z’s ceilling is crazy high he could become one of the best offensive players in the league so i dont see Pat moving him unless its a good hockey trade for Anaheim

Could be wrong tho will see this offseason
I hear that a lot, but we dont really know what zegras is yet.

Hes obviously has the tools to be a very good point producer, But i also think he can be a pretty damn effective defensive player too.

PainForShane

formerly surfshop
Dec 24, 2019
As the top power forward Brady is one of the more valuable assets in the league, playmakers like Zegras don't have that type of value unless they're putting up 100 points.

I toyed with the idea of Jiricek for Zegras - the Ducks need a big minute RD with size and snarl, and maybe they can't get their guy in this draft. But I don't think the Jackets would want Zegras, he'd make them better surely but I don't think they would put more assets into playmakers, since they already have Gaudreau and Kent Johnson in that mold and need to get more serious players. That's the real issue with trading Zegras - that everyone wants to get more serious.

So far the two players people have suggested are Tkachuk and Keller, two point per game players. Pretty far from a bag of used pucks.

As a Zona fan I wouldn't do Keller. Nothing against Z but Keller means far too much to the Salt Lake City Cockroaches. Imo if I'm a ducks fan and that deal is offered, you take that deal and run.

That said I haven't watched too many Ducks games this year (other than when relevant to my fantasy team), if Z has become a legitimate 3-zone / 200 foot player, hold on to him. You can't teach that high-end skill, if he can learn maturity and a 200 ft game (both of which are very possible), you have a legitimitate star / superstar on your hands to complement the other stars / superstars on your team.

All that to say that, as a neutral, I think Anaheim has a legitimately skilled core to build around. Including Dostal, people don't talk about him enough. Not the worst idea to see what happens here over the next 3-6 years

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad