Utah team name polling opens, list of potential names revealed

Section 104

Sep 12, 2021
The future WNBA expansion team in California has announced it will be called the Golden State Valkyries. Even they can do things better that the Utah Whatevers and the NHL

How about the Utah Cannibals after the Donner party? Now there’s a team that would do anything to win. 😬
Wasn’t that in California? Although the Donner party did have problems in Utah with the heat, etc

Reactions: QuizGuy66

Snubbed4Vezina

Jul 9, 2022
The future WNBA expansion team in California has announced it will be called the Golden State Valkyries. Even they can do things better that the Utah Whatevers and the NHL

Wasn’t that in California? Although the Donner party did have problems in Utah with the heat, etc
Golden State Valkyries is a pretty sweet name that makes a ton of sense for a basketball team. I like when teams think outside of the box without getting corny.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014
Not an option in the poll but Utah Grizzlies sounds the best to me.

They should buyout the naming rights from the ECHL club and make it their affiliate with a new name.

Reactions: BB79 and Osakahaus

knuck

On and off fan
Sponsor
Mar 26, 2006
La Prairie Beach
Everyone hated the names of almost every new team in my lifetime (minus the Jets but hey, that's different).

Hurricanes (mostly the aesthetics i guess)
Coyotes (again, most aesthetics)
Wild
Predators
Blue Jackets
Thrashers
Golden Knights
Kraken

Whatever team name Utah goes with, after a while people will get use to and won't care anymore

EDIT :

Did the Stars get hate from Minnesotans?

Reactions: Holden Caulfield

Macman

May 15, 2004

Details, details. Yeah, but they did go through Utah and I’m sure they were hungry …

Sep 18, 2009
Utah
1715722754083.png

Reactions: SirJW

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
Don’t try to steal the Donner Party from California history.

View attachment 871082
Might be conflating it with the Mountain Meadows Massacre, which incidentally would be my suggested moniker. Sports teams should lean into their home state and/or city's dark history more often.

Last edited:

GrumpyKoala

Aug 11, 2020
Everyone hated the names of almost every new team in my lifetime (minus the Jets but hey, that's different).

Wild
Predators
Blue Jackets
Thrashers
Golden Knights
Kraken

Whatever team name Utah goes with, after a while people will get use to and won't care anymore

EDIT :

While I agrees with you
Predator is f***ing weird still even when use to it and Trashers still sound like a goon league name

Reactions: knuck

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
Utah Racers. Salt lake theme? Can we add an S to the end of what ever they decide. Plural names. I hate singular names like the Wild, Heat, etc.

CanMerc

#FIRECHEVY
Dec 7, 2023
In order of preference…
Outlaws, Yeti, Swarm, or Fury

Last edited:

QuizGuy66

Sep 12, 2011

Wild
Predators
Blue Jackets
Thrashers
Golden Knights
Kraken

EDIT :

Hurricanes - tbh honest at least it was plural. I always associate Florida more with hurricane season but really nothing would meet my approval as they should still be in Hartford and the Whalers (and I hate hate hate that Karamanos brings that out now but I digress)

Coyotes was always an excellent choice and played well off the hockey history of the minors team that was there being the Roadrunners.

Wild. Nailed the two-way logo. Terrible name. Singular names are terrible in general.

Predators was fine - the link was on the obscure side being named for a fossil and though I don't like the color I give massive respect to them for picking the distinctive look in a sea of hipster colors and black.

Blue Jackets is unweildly but ultimately I give them a pass because it is nice that a team for once honored the WINNING side of the Civil War

Golden Knights. I though a bit of a mouthful tbh but since they couldn't be Black Knights I get it. Coulda been worse. (Side note the contention over using Black Knights - because Army - shows why all the duplicate names won't cut it in Utah. Raptors and Grizzlies are NBA names (and Utah's owner wouldn't do that to partners). Saints is already NHL. It has happened (hell Carolina Panthers and Winnipeg once and future Jets) but hard to stand out with a recycled name).

Kraken. Knew it was fate that this awful name would be picked but again boo on the singular names. Utah will surely go down the same awful road.

The Stars got hate from Minnesota but really the other contending logical name would have been Lone Stars - but too easy to make jokes on that.

Sharks stands out as a perfect example of getting it right - perhaps all the more surprising as that was done 100% via marketing/branding research types.

I am proudest as a Devils fan that the team kept that dumb Disney name off the Cup. Glad that franchise in Anaheim rectified that later.

Devils won a contest and was an excellent choice. Way better than what the owner wanted (the process basically got hijacked by a local newspaper contest that wasn't asked for). For all the years McMullen owned the team my invoice envelopes always bore the corporate version of name that he really wanted to give them: Meadowlanders Inc -- thank you for bailing us out newspaper contest!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad