Player Discussion: Victor Hedman - Part 2: Norris God and Norse God

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
His game seems to be picking up lately
Agreed. I suspect an injury.

I feel like any time we see a guy over 30 have a dip in play, there's a whole mob of people saying, "Well, he's done now, where's the replacement?"

Maelmoor

Apr 20, 2004
Stockholm, Sweden
I read a Swedish interview with him recently, where he said that he was feeling better and getting there both mentally and physically. Not sure there was a specific injury or not, reading between the lines, I felt it was more due to wear and tear.

There's no defenseman out there who's shown such a consistency on a high level over a long period of time as Hedman. So I think it's natural that he would face a dip in performance at some point, given how much hockey he has played.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
I read a Swedish interview with him recently, where he said that he was feeling better and getting there both mentally and physically. Not sure there was a specific injury or not, reading between the lines, I felt it was more due to wear and tear.

There's no defenseman out there who's shown such a consistency on a high level over a long period of time as Hedman. So I think it's natural that he would face a dip in performance at some point, given how much hockey he has played.

Sometimes players just get cold, it's not always an "injury" that fans always rush to assume. You have no idea how much resources these guys have in recovery and body maintenance.

Reactions: Maelmoor

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
Hope he can be 100% for the playoffs. Definitely seems off the last week or two. But he still leads the team in ice time every night. If he’s hurt, I have to think Coop would cut that back.
I am probably 100% wrong but he has played like he suffering thru a back issue all season. Only the last few gage did he crank his shot from the blue line with anything close to what he normally does. Having experienced back issues for 30 years the toughest thing to do is to rotate your core like one has to do woth a big slapper. I hope this is not the case but there has sure been something wrong with him. A player of his caliber does not just fall off a cliff in production vet a summer.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
I am probably 100% wrong but he has played like he suffering thru a back issue all season. Only the last few gage did he crank his shot from the blue line with anything close to what he normally does. Having experienced back issues for 30 years the toughest thing to do is to rotate your core like one has to do woth a big slapper. I hope this is not the case but there has sure been something wrong with him. A player of his caliber does not just fall off a cliff in production vet a summer.

He's on pace for 60 points which is what he normally around the range he produces on any given year outside of last season.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
He's on pace for 60 points which is what he normally around the range he produces on any given year outside of last season.
The projection I saw he is expected to pla 77 games have 7 goals and 49 asst for 56 points. Now while the asst’s are inline with his career average but it was 2013 I think it was since he had a worse goal performance. This drop off can not be explained away for a player of Hedamn stature. Of course at some point the numbers will slip but we’re talking 4 years away. Are we ready to settle with Heddy on the second pair and Sergi promoted??????

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
Statistically he's having a similar season to the shortened 2021 season. Interestingly Heddy was 3rd in scoring that year among all dmen, only 3 points less than the leader (Tyson Barrie - 48pts in 56gp). Right now in the same amount of games, he's 15th in scoring among defensemen.

202154 gp9g + 36a = 45pts24 ppp+5
202354 gp5g + 35a = 40pts12 ppp+13

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Not surprising that players go a lot by reputation. Hedman shouldn’t be nowhere near the top-5 this season and it can be argued he isn’t even our best defenseman right now (it’s Serg).

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Not surprising that players go a lot by reputation. Hedman shouldn’t be nowhere near the top-5 this season and it can be argued he isn’t even our best defenseman right now (it’s Serg).
I mean, Price was #1 on those polls still like 2 years ago.

Lightning1995

May 16, 2016
What a beast. Still the viking and the best defenseman on this team. Deserves PP1 back after that unit basically cost the Lightning the series.

Zwui21

Aug 31, 2019
Hopefully a long offseason of rest, healing and training will bring our Norse/Norris god back.

bigdaddio

Jan 22, 2019
Whats the final word on his injury? Hip impingement sounds like a permanent thing. Do they plan surgery?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad