Post-Game Talk: WCSF GM 4 | Oilers def. Canucks 3-2 (Garland, Joshua) | Thaaaaaaat sucked.

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
I'm obviously not going to win the Adams anytime soon, but I don't think Tocchet has handled EP well at all. Insists on stapling Mik to his wing, pushes his 40 goal winger out of town, and rotates AHL'ers on his other wing. On the PP, has EP just stand there to the side waiting for someone to feed him one timers.

Obviously, EP needs to take the blame here, but Tocchet is not helping. I'm not sure if he knows how to handle more offensive players like EP and Kuzy.

you can maybe afford to run a player like kuzmenko out of town because you don't like his playstyle but things are gonna get ugly if tocchet can't figure out how to get the most out of pettersson. that situation ends badly no matter how it's resolved

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
you can maybe afford to run a player like kuzmenko out of town because you don't like his playstyle but things are gonna get ugly if tocchet can't figure out how to get the most out of pettersson. that situation ends badly no matter how it's resolved
It's a fine balance because Boeser and Miller do better under this system.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
Crazy to think the Canucks almost stole this one after basically sleep walking through the first 40 mins. What a wasted game all around. They wasted 6 mins of PP time early in the first and wasted a great performance from Silovs. They can't play for the last 20mins in the playoffs and expect to win many games. If this team can't get it going and put in a full 60 like they were doing against Nashville this series isn't going to end the way we want it to. A lot of players need to step up and get into the battles. Far too many players not pulling their own weight right now.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Crazy to think the Canucks almost stole this one after basically sleep walking through the first 40 mins. What a wasted game all around. They wasted 6 mins of PP time early in the first and wasted a great performance from Silovs. They can't play for the last 20mins in the playoffs and expect to win many games. If this team can't get it going and put in a full 60 like they were doing against Nashville this series isn't going to end the way we want it to. A lot of players need to step up and get into the battles. Far too many players not pulling their own weight right now.

Thing is...they maybe had 1 game in the Nashville series where they played a full 60 min.

PavelBure10

The Russian Rocket
Aug 25, 2009
Okanagan
The Canucks got outplayed badly for 40 minutes. It's unfortunate taken then so long to out in a full blown effort. Silovs played outstanding and can only do so much with little run support. Glad Tochett called the team out after this one but a lot of the blame should fall upon his shoulders. The Mikheyev/Pettersson project hasn't worked all playoffs and the stubborn coach still staples them together. I am glad that after this loss it will force Tochett to finally switch up the lines. Demote Mikheyev to the 4th line or even sit him for all I care. Put Pettersson with a decent player and then see if he can produce before we go into the next level of criticism. It will be also nice to get Soucy back, sit Cole or Juulsen. Hronek needs to wake the f*** up, he has been very pedestrian these playoffs and there is no way I would sign him to a 8 mill contract. The boys need to show some urgency and play for a full 60 in game 5. Time to put out or get out in this one.

Go Canucks

Reactions: Angry Little Elf

Brookbank

Nov 15, 2022
Tocchet has rarely (never?) called his guys out in the press before - so hopefully this is a nuclear deterrent wake up call for some of them.
He has before. He did after the Philly game. And a couple other times. He's probably being fair behind closed doors and this is just red meat for the bootstrap fans

It was basically a must win game for Edmonton in their barn. I'm not sure why ppl thought this was going to be easy. The Oilers played their best most balanced game of the series at home. And still almost f'd it up.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
If I see this right , Hoglander has the same ES goals as Connor Mcdavid. And Tocchet scratched him for 2 games. That's insane.

Deservedly so. Hoglander has done nothing.

Seriously, my dude. Your obsession with Hoglander not drawing in is just silly. McDavid may not be scoring but he looks a whole hell of a lot more dangerous in a single shift than Hoglander has the entire playoffs. Putting Hog in wouldn't have changed a single thing last night.

Now I will say, he's earned a chance to redeem himself because it isn't like Karlsson was lighting the roof on fire. I do actually think Aman deserves to stay in. Lafferty can sit as he's been damn near uselesss--a far cry from his performance last year with the Leafs.

I'd be very tempted to try

Pettersson - Lindholm - Suter
Hoglander - Miller - Boeser
Joshua - Blueger - Garland
PDG - Aman - Mikheyev

While I'm hesitant to move Suter, the idea is to have two good players helping two struggling players. They can easily be moved back if it doesn't look good.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Nothing to suggest Edmonton won't win three straight and take this series. They've clearly been the better team so far and would be up 3-1 if Silovs wasn't ungodly in game three.

Every game has been a coin flip. Both losses we could have just as easily won. There's nothing to suggest Edmonton will win 3 straight.

WiLBoY

Aug 29, 2009
The Canucks got outplayed badly for 40 minutes. It's unfortunate taken then so long to out in a full blown effort. Silovs played outstanding and can only do so much with little run support. Glad Tochett called the team out after this one but a lot of the blame should fall upon his shoulders. The Mikheyev/Pettersson project hasn't worked all playoffs and the stubborn coach still staples them together. I am glad that after this loss it will force Tochett to finally switch up the lines. Demote Mikheyev to the 4th line or even sit him for all I care. Put Pettersson with a decent player and then see if he can produce before we go into the next level of criticism. It will be also nice to get Soucy back, sit Cole or Juulsen. Hronek needs to wake the f*** up, he has been very pedestrian these playoffs and there is no way I would sign him to a 8 mill contract. The boys need to show some urgency and play for a full 60 in game 5. Time to put out or get out in this one.

Go Canucks
Are you sure the Canucks got outplayed for 40 mins or the Oilers just decided to sit back due to a lead.

I have a feeling the Oilers could have dominated us for 60 minutes if they chose to. Only two that showed up to play was Garland and Silovs

Bgav

We Stylin'
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2009
Vancouver
Are you sure the Canucks got outplayed for 40 mins or the Oilers just decided to sit back due to a lead.

I have a feeling the Oilers could have dominated us for 60 minutes if they chose to. Only two that showed up to play was Garland and Silovs
Or their top players gassed... They are playing a lot of mins

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
Or their top players gassed... They are playing a lot of mins
All of our players are gassed, physically, mentally or likely both. The last minute goal by the Oilers was due in part to a mental letdown that they were seconds away from resting between periods.

Reactions: MikeK

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
Loved the post game presser by Tocchet. Say what you will about his style of coaching, but the guy has been here many times before. Both as a player and as a coach. The guy knows what he's talking about and knows what it takes to win playoff hockey. He was clearly not happy and there are many players who will hear about it behind closed doors. It such a breath of fresh air and something this Organization hasn't had a lot of behind the bench.

I will be blown away if the Canucks aren't ready to go in game 5. I expect a much different team that game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad