GDT: WCSF | IV | "Make It So" | Oilers vs. Canucks | 4.14.24 | 7:30PM | SN/CBC

Status
Not open for further replies.

5 14 6 1

We are the 11.5%
Sep 15, 2010
Alberta
A lot of talk around here like the series is over. A win tonight and we have a best of 3. Let's go men. I'm sick of losing.

This is literally the 3rd playoff in a run that this has happened too.

Incredible that Ken Holland felt no need to upgrade there. Imagine this team with Tanev + a competent goaltender? The missing pieces from a Cup run...

If only the Flames management had any appetite to trade with the Oilers instead of purposely strengthening every other West contender in efforts to beat the Oil by proxy.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
A lot of talk around here like the series is over. A win tonight and we have a best of 3. Let's go men. I'm sick of losing.

If only the Flames management had any appetite to trade with the Oilers instead of purposely strengthening every other West contender in efforts to beat the Oil by proxy.
100% a tanev would be huge right now

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Knoblauch telegraphed the Pickard move with his waffling post game presser. More athletic, mature but smaller goaltender. Alot will depend on the quality of team defense in front of him. It's the right decision. Pickard will deliver more consistent, technical and structured goaltending with composure. But this team has to limit dumb mistakes with their own zone defending. Composure is the word of the day... for every Oiler.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
But Skinner is .877 and 3.22 in the playoffs, so essentially the same as Picjard was in the regular season, so its NOT an improvement from Skinner actually. I expect no difference in tending, if we win tonight its because we win 5-4 or something like that, due to finishing our chances and not hitting 4 posts again.

.793 vs. Vancouver. Without the Kings propping up his save percentage with their high volume low quality shots his career in playoffs is .826.

All that was needed to win Games 1 was .875 and even .833 would have pushed OT.
Game 2 was won with an .842
All that was needed to win Game 3 was .888 or .833 would have pushed OT.

I'm not at all convinced Pickard can do this, but we know Skinner can't.

Personally I know it would balls of steel to actually do it, but I'd have done Campbell. Basically putting the guy into the position where he can save his career by saving the team's playoffs. If nothing else, you know he'd be putting every bit of himself into it to try and get the win.

I'm of the opinion that it's already confirmed Edmonton ain't winning the cup with either Skinner or Pickard, so ride the unlikely with Campbell and who knows what happens. Worst case scenario, you lose which was happening anyways. Best case, you win, salvage Campbell's career and maybe you're no longer buying him out in the summer but actually trading him (unless that convinces the team to give him one more try in regular season).

Reactions: foshizzle and M Ace

Oilgasms

May 7, 2011
Edmonton
So is Picks in then? Or we all just praying?
It's from a Frank Seravalli tweet:

Wishing Pickard all the best , crazy to think how he's battled to get himself here. Hope the fans are behind him tonight.

There is something to be said about how different a team plays in front of a backup and I hope they tighten up.

CECI OUT PLEASE. I've turned my whole watch group against the guy by just pointing out how poor he is at getting the puck out.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Campbell legit isn't even in Edmonton practicing with the team. I beg of you all, please stop pining for him. It's just wasted breath. He's not an option and will never be an option.

Our playoff hopes rest with Captain Pickard. God speed, good sir.
Didn't the Oilers recall Campbell?

Sanchez

Jan 18, 2006
Campbell legit isn't even in Edmonton practicing with the team. I beg of you all, please stop pining for him. It's just wasted breath. He's not an option and will never be an option.

Our playoff hopes rest with Captain Pickard. God speed, good sir.
100% Campbell is practicing with the black aces. Only reason Campbell is on the the starting roster is one of Skinner or Pickard is hurt.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
What I don't understand is when I listen to pods/media they just utterly dismiss Stecher getting in like it's the most ridiculous thing they're ever heard.

Am I missing something here? Is he THAT horribly unplayable? I didn't think he looked bad during the season and I see no problem throwing him in for a guy struggling. I don't understand why this seems like some ludicrous idea.

His stats, albeit in a small sample size, were much better than Ceci's actually. So the evidence that we have, again a small amount, is that he is better than Ceci.

Reactions: ManOfSteelI

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Depth scoring.
Defense.
Goaltending.

These words will haunt Ken Holland forever.

Or likely not because he got paid a stupid amount of money to do a shit job.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
Oilers looking like they're pretty banged up. I imagine all the players missing except perhaps Henrique will play but it's not great.

RNH on the top line suggests Draisaitl back to center at least.

Reactions: Sanchez

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan

Incredible that Ken Holland felt no need to upgrade there. Imagine this team with Tanev + a competent goaltender? The missing pieces from a Cup run...

Ceci is the mistake that just won't go away. All the stats are right there for anybody who cares to look at them, and yet we continue to double-down on this player. It's maddening.

Reactions: Porkleaker

Pavel10

Nov 10, 2023
Brown McDavid hyman
Kane Drai Gagner
Holloway Nuge Perry
Janmark Carrick Foegele

If Henrique healthy slots in for Foegele.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
You're writing a story before it happened. This is the playoffs, anything that happened in the regular season means very little. Vancouver has a guy that played 9 NHL games and 0 playoff games.

How do you think that story was written before present day? Definitely not beat Nashville in 6 and be up 2-1 over the Oilers.

And that guy was .881 in the regular season in his appearances for the Canucks and his career AHL numbers this year are a modest 2.74 / .907 and overall career AHL numbers 2.62 / .906.

Some guys just perform better in these situation or get a brief run of luck. We really don't know what could happen here, but we know what's been happening to Skinner. Do I think Pickard has it in him. Not really, but Pickard literally as about as little playoff experience as you can have at 32 years old so no one really knows.

Reactions: elmeroil

Pavel10

Nov 10, 2023

He tried to get tanev but being a gm is like a really hard job so it didn't work out. Lovely that he's being compensated more than any other gm in the league and can't even get basics done.

And that guy was .881 in the regular season in his appearances for the Canucks and his career AHL numbers this year are a modest 2.74 / .907 and overall career AHL numbers 2.62 / .906.

Some guys just perform better in these situation or get a brief run of luck. We really don't know what could happen here, but we know what's been happening to Skinner. Do I think Pickard has it in him. Not really, but Pickard literally as about as little playoff experience as you can have at 32 years old so no one really knows.

Keep Schwartz the f*** away from pickard at all costs.

Reactions: Porkleaker

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
It's about being a meritocracy. I wanted woodcroft fired even before this season started. Campbell comes in saves this team twice Vs Vegas. Including one of our few OT wins and he kept going back to skinner which cost us the series.

Skinner once again has been garbage all series. Pickard comes in does exaclty what is asked of him. How can you using basic logic go back to skinner? Is this how people are treated for actually doing what is asked of them?

I have no love of Skinner as a goalie (seems like a great person, so this is just about hockey results) , but nor do I think that Pickard is going to move the needle. If anything, I am expecting slightly worse results with Pickard in net. Neither goalie is the answer unfortunately. I have no problems starting Pickard tonight, none whatsoever. I just expect more of the same from doing so is all.

Reactions: Porkleaker and bone
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad