OT - NO POLITICS We’re on to April & May

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
Hasn't been an easy move but things are moving in the right direction.

I woke up to this outside my living room window. Makes it all worth it

full

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
I have decided that I no longer enjoy youth sports. Or maybe it's just a 9-10 year old boys lacrosse symptom. We will see what happens next season but I wouldn't be surprised if my son doesn't want to continue playing in the very near future. It doesn't seem like there is a ton of sportsmanship or fun involved, nor is there really any emphasis on safety or learning the game.

Could just be the coach too, and the very violent collision I witnessed Sunday afternoon. Aaaaand last night my son mentioned that his coach said to him on the bench Sunday, "put that f***ing ball down"

They are 9. This is literally the lowest level of lacrosse available. Nobody is trying to get a pro contract tomorrow.

Ludwig Fell Down

Feb 19, 2005
South Shore, MA
I have decided that I no longer enjoy youth sports. Or maybe it's just a 9-10 year old boys lacrosse symptom. We will see what happens next season but I wouldn't be surprised if my son doesn't want to continue playing in the very near future. It doesn't seem like there is a ton of sportsmanship or fun involved, nor is there really any emphasis on safety or learning the game.

Could just be the coach too, and the very violent collision I witnessed Sunday afternoon. Aaaaand last night my son mentioned that his coach said to him on the bench Sunday, "put that f***ing ball down"

They are 9. This is literally the lowest level of lacrosse available. Nobody is trying to get a pro contract tomorrow.
Oh, there are plenty of parents looking for their 9-year-olds to get a pro contract.

So sad that youth sports have become such a cesspool. I'm lucky my kids got through them before many parents, coaches and players started taking things to such an insane level. Write a big check, your kid is on a "select" team, and everything and everyone is fair game for criticism.

I hope your son can find a different team with a decent coach next season.

Morris Wanchuk

Feb 10, 2006
War Memorial Arena
Officially got the 11 year old a phone. A super nice, overpriced dumb phone by a company run by Menonites.

No internet, apps, or email. But it does allow for group texts, Waze, voice to text, wifi calling.

I have used it for a week and want one too! I only have a work phone but if I ever left I would get sunbeam too and carry an old iphon with me to hot spot too if really need it. Waze has phone numbers which helps.

Morris Wanchuk

Feb 10, 2006
War Memorial Arena

One thing I love about VT is the lack of choice. Fall is soccer, basketball in the winter, baseball/softball in the spring. Running sports start to get throw in there in middle school.

I think it helps with the attitudes because all the friends are playing so its less of a fractured group? I think there might be select/travel teams but for baseball/softball those seem to be in the summer. My only complaint is we are Cal Ripkin/Babe Ruth and all the towns closer to us are Little league. I actually LIKE Cal Ripkin rules better (Rookies after Tball, more stealing, moving the bases between minors/majors) but the games are a hike. We played a rookies game 1 hour away Saturday morning. But the view were pretty nice..

Attachments

• IMG_3800.jpg
    IMG_3800.jpg
    541 KB · Views: 4

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
One thing I love about VT is the lack of choice. Fall is soccer, basketball in the winter, baseball/softball in the spring. Running sports start to get throw in there in middle school.

I think it helps with the attitudes because all the friends are playing so its less of a fractured group? I think there might be select/travel teams but for baseball/softball those seem to be in the summer. My only complaint is we are Cal Ripkin/Babe Ruth and all the towns closer to us are Little league. I actually LIKE Cal Ripkin rules better (Rookies after Tball, more stealing, moving the bases between minors/majors) but the games are a hike. We played a rookies game 1 hour away Saturday morning. But the view were pretty nice..
The vibe of that field is EXACTLY what kids sports should be

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Our home field is very VT

But East Montpelier VT might win...

I grew up playing these two fields, mostly. First one was age 13-15, bigger field, regular rules, ball always in play etc etc. The second one was 10-12, stealing was allowed but only once the ball crossed the plate, and runners couldn't take a lead until then either. This field was all stonedust when I played, but they cleaned it up almost as soon as I aged out. The fields are technically in the same park, just opposite ends. Actually a really nice park, a lot more put together than it was 30 years ago.

The bench and flag pole behind the home dugout irk me though. Kids used to play suicide/wall ball off the back of the dugout with a tennis ball, and of course the ball would end up on the field all the time. To stop the kids from playing suicide, they originally put up a giant wall of baseballs with the names of 9/11 victims. But the maintenance was a disaster, as all the cases would fill with moisture and it destroyed everything. So they tore that out, and added a bench.

Reactions: Morris Wanchuk

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
I grew up playing these two fields, mostly. First one was age 13-15, bigger field, regular rules, ball always in play etc etc. The second one was 10-12, stealing was allowed but only once the ball crossed the plate, and runners couldn't take a lead until then either. This field was all stonedust when I played, but they cleaned it up almost as soon as I aged out. The fields are technically in the same park, just opposite ends. Actually a really nice park, a lot more put together than it was 30 years ago.

The bench and flag pole behind the home dugout irk me though. Kids used to play suicide/wall ball off the back of the dugout with a tennis ball, and of course the ball would end up on the field all the time. To stop the kids from playing suicide, they originally put up a giant wall of baseballs with the names of 9/11 victims. But the maintenance was a disaster, as all the cases would fill with moisture and it destroyed everything. So they tore that out, and added a bench.

LOL. This thread is awesome. Taking me back down memory lane. As a kid, I was on my bike over to this playground every weekend for pickup baseball. If we didn't have enough players, we played wall ball (we called it Strikeout) against the school building on the right. If you look close (left of the doors), you can still see the discolored brick where we had our strike zone put up. That playground was where I learned to pitch. Got really good at climbing on that roof to retrieve foul balls, too When we had enough players to field 2 decent sized teams, we moved over on the grass field to the left. No parents, no coaches......just a bunch of kids playing ball. That was 45 years ago.....

Last edited:

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Well my tenure at Ruths Chris officially ended. Was there for 10 hours already on mothers day and all I said to my chef when he mentioned cleaning the fryers was I wanted to start earlier cuz I didnt want to be there all night. He then tells me to go home then leans down and says im a waste of f***ing labor

Funny since he was leaning on me all day. Was there 40 something hours out of the 72 this weekend. Made 80 pounds of mash potatoes but im a waste of labor. Lmao $16 and a waste of labor

This is why theyre losing people they dont know how to talk to people or pay them

4 broilers have quit. I quit. They fired my trainer. And the 2 cooks left both have interviews

You reap what you sow

I saw a shooting star last night my future will be bright
Last time I went to one in NJ it was awful. I had to send it back. The quality seems to be going down

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL

I never knew you grew up in Whitman, Charlie. My best friend is from North Abington. He and I went through OCS together in the Navy and became fast friends because of the Bruins. We used to fly back to South Weymouth when the Naval Air Station was still open and hang with his large, Irish family.

I was Best Man at his wedding up in Boston. He got married the night that the '93 Blizzard hit in March. I remember having to shovel out his driveway in my dinner dress blues so we could make it to the church. I ended up stuck there for 2 extra days, which was fine by me, since the Maid of Honor and I really hit it off during the reception (I was single at the time) and she let me stay with her at her place for a couple extra days......;);)

Last edited:

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
I never knew you grew up in Whitman, Charlie. My best friend is from the North Abington. He and I went through OCS together in the Navy and became fast friends because of the Bruins. We used to fly back to South Weymouth when the Naval Air Station was still open and hang with his large, Irish family.

I was Best Man at his wedding up in Boston. He got married the night that the '93 Blizzard hit in March. I ended up stuck there for 2-3 extra days, which was fine by me, since the Maid of Honor and I really hit it off during the reception (I was single at the time) and she let me stay at her place for a couple extra days......;);)
lol that’s a great little tale

Moved from Dorchester to Whitman November ‘92. Then promptly broke my leg in January. Had a full leg cast for four months. Welcome to the neighborhood!

Edit: the Weymouth navy station is a giant condo complex now. It’s really nice, but makes me sad. I used to go to air shows there with pops back in the day

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Sorry to hear.
I was just making a cup of tea. And during an away game, that reminds me of you.
Hope you feel better soon!
Thanks much! It will run its course.

Now I have a sore throat, bad cough (not sleeping), headache and my eyes are red and gooey.

Very soon I will take that cough syrup that will make me sleep. (has codeine in it) .

SO cheer hard my Bs friends. I will be watching on the small TV in bed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad