Buffalo Bills Week 17: Bills (9-6) v. Falcons (7-8)

Status
Not open for further replies.

misterchainsaw

Preparing PHASE TWO!
Nov 3, 2005
Rochester, NY
if colts lose Then Steelers ( if they win tonight)-Ravens winner can get the spot. Steelers get it without help. Ravens need help ( vegas win, dolphins lose)
Ravens also need the Browns to lose a game (either tonight or against Cincy, who's already in and may be resting players) in addition to the Jags beating the Colts (which ain't happening)

missingmika

Dec 9, 2006
Every time I hear his name brought up for head coaching positions, I'm like "we're still talking about the same Nate Hackett that was with the Bills, right?"

Crazy what Rodgers and Adams can do for your career.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Just saying the ball was tipped doesn't absolve the QB of responsibility. None of them were fluky tips at the line by a lineman who happened to throw his arm up at the right time. The first I'm still not even sure who he was trying to get the ball to (Beasley?) and he tried to fit it between 5 defenders where there was absolutely no room to throw the ball. He missed on the 2nd one flat out. The third one's the only one you can even start to excuse, but even that one, while it was deflected close to the line of scrimmage, was deflected by the spy who was directly in the throwing lane just waiting, unengaged, for Josh to throw it, and he failed to get the ball out of his reach. None of them were good throws/good decisions.

The 1st INT he was going to Diggs in the back of the end zone. He had gotten about a yard of separation from his man. That said, you're absolutely right that he had to still somehow get it past 5 or so defenders. It was definitely hero ball.

The 2nd INT was a flat-out bad throw. Tried to hit Beasley in the seam and overthrew it.

The 3rd INT I give credit to the spy for a pretty gosh darned good play. The deflection could have just as easily fallen incomplete as it did right into someone's arms. Good play followed by a spot of bad luck.

Onslow

Mar 25, 2015
Here and There
The 1st INT he was going to Diggs in the back of the end zone. He had gotten about a yard of separation from his man. That said, you're absolutely right that he had to still somehow get it past 5 or so defenders. It was definitely hero ball.

The 2nd INT was a flat-out bad throw. Tried to hit Beasley in the seam and overthrew it.

The 3rd INT I give credit to the spy for a pretty gosh darned good play. The deflection could have just as easily fallen incomplete as it did right into someone's arms. Good play followed by a spot of bad luck.

We will never know for sure, but watching the highlights, it looked like Beasley was shoved off his route like 8 yards off the LOS, and disrupted the timing of the play. Josh may have expected him to be at that spot by the time he threw it.

Or maybe it was just a bad throw.

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
We will never know for sure, but watching the highlights, it looked like Beasley was shoved off his route like 8 yards off the LOS, and disrupted the timing of the play. Josh may have expected him to be at that spot by the time he threw it.

Or maybe it was just a bad throw.
It was a dumb throw, he was on the run, had a defender between him and the receiver and the receiver had dB's on either side and behind him. It would have needed to be a perfect throw without the receiver being hit. In that scenario, he needs to throw it away or tuck and pick up the 2-3 yards.

I love his kill mentality but getting 3 on the board and keeping the momentum up would have been better imo

Mike McDermott

blah blah blah
Apr 23, 2006
Lockport
Raiders win all tiebreakers (including the Pats) if they manage to win against the Chargers. So if the Pats lose and the Raiders win (assuming the Colts also win) it's 5)Raiders, 6)Colts, 7)Pats and if the Pats win and the Raiders win it's 5)Pats, 6)Raiders, 7)Colts. The Chargers slide in at the bottom of the 10-7 teams if they were to win the LAC-LV matchup.
Thanks. I’m not great with tie breakers etc and trying to figure them out when it is like what you were just saying, especially when it involves multiple games, my head just explodes.

Reactions: misterchainsaw

Puppa2Miller

Oct 4, 2007
2 of the 3 were tipped/deflected. It wasn't his best game, but he definitely was not that bad either.
Josh Allen, the passer, on Sunday was atrocious. He was every bit that bad. Anything else is just spin.

Are we absolving Mac Jones' critical interception thrown against the Bills as mere bad luck because it was a double deflection?

BowieSabresFan

Nov 18, 2010
Just saying the ball was tipped doesn't absolve the QB of responsibility. None of them were fluky tips at the line by a lineman who happened to throw his arm up at the right time. The first I'm still not even sure who he was trying to get the ball to (Beasley?) and he tried to fit it between 5 defenders where there was absolutely no room to throw the ball. He missed on the 2nd one flat out. The third one's the only one you can even start to excuse, but even that one, while it was deflected close to the line of scrimmage, was deflected by the spy who was directly in the throwing lane just waiting, unengaged, for Josh to throw it, and he failed to get the ball out of his reach. None of them were good throws/good decisions.

Of the 3, 1 was easily his fault. I can't pin all the blame on Allen for the other 2, so we'll agree to disagree. My main point was Allen did not play as poorly as some are portraying, and I'll stand by that.

At the end of the day, the Bills got a 2 touchdown win against a team desperate for a win to stay in the playoff hunt.

Reactions: Dirty Dog

BowieSabresFan

Nov 18, 2010
Josh Allen, the passer, on Sunday was atrocious. He was every bit that bad. Anything else is just spin.

Are we absolving Mac Jones' critical interception thrown against the Bills as mere bad luck because it was a double deflection?

Spin because you disagree with it. Ok, sure. Let's leave it at that.

Reactions: Dirty Dog

Puppa2Miller

Oct 4, 2007
Spin because you disagree with it. Ok, sure. Let's leave it at that.
It is spin because he was objectively terrible as a passer yesterday. He didn't complete 50% of his passes. He threw 3 interceptions, all of which were his fault.

Some of you have been drinking too much Josh Allen flavored Kool-Aid if you can't admit what yesterday was. I can't imagine any praise or spin on this board if this was an opposing QB.

whiplash

Jan 6, 2006
NYC
It is spin because he was objectively terrible as a passer yesterday. He didn't complete 50% of his passes. He threw 3 interceptions, all of which were his fault.

Some of you have been drinking too much Josh Allen flavored Kool-Aid if you can't admit what yesterday was. I can't imagine any praise or spin on this board if this was an opposing QB.
What's the position you're even trying to take? That you're right "Allen the passer" had a rough day? It's as moot as it gets because "Allen the whole-ass QB" had a great game

Zach716

Pucks in deep
Nov 24, 2018

Did you watch the entire game or just look at his QB rating? It was clear the Falcons game plan was to stop Allen's throw game which opened them wide open to exploit the run.

He also had 81 run yards himself which is the 2nd highest of the season. I think you're singling out one aspect of his game while others here are looking at his overall performance. I'll take a guy like that all day who is selfless for the team over a guy having a pissing match with the OC to keep his stats sweet.

Reactions: BowieSabresFan

misterchainsaw

Preparing PHASE TWO!
Nov 3, 2005
Rochester, NY
What's the position you're even trying to take? That you're right "Allen the passer" had a rough day? It's as moot as it gets because "Allen the whole-ass QB" had a great game
I wouldn't say great. I'm not sure I can even say good. Average might be as far as I can go. Those turnovers can't happen on three consecutive possessions. None of the picks went off of the receivers. They were all put in harm's way by where they were thrown. When you let the defense get their hand on the ball bad things tend to happen. The running game carried the day mostly driven by the offensive line. Yes, Allen ran the ball well, but so did Singletary and Moss (they combined for an almost identical average on almost double the carries). His protection was largely flawless (against an admittedly awful Atlanta pass rush)

It was probably his 2nd worst day of the year, behind the all-around debacle that was the Jacksonville game.

Last edited:

Puppa2Miller

Oct 4, 2007
Did you watch the entire game or just look at his QB rating? It was clear the Falcons game plan was to stop Allen's throw game which opened them wide open to exploit the run.

He also had 81 run yards himself which is the 2nd highest of the season. I think you're singling out one aspect of his game while others here are looking at his overall performance. I'll take a guy like that all day who is selfless for the team over a guy having a pissing match with the OC to keep his stats sweet.
I watched the entire game rooting my ass off for Josh and the Bills. He was not good overall yesterday, and as a passer, he was terrible. Touch and decision making just weren't there. They will not win a playoff game if he plays like that.

misterchainsaw

Preparing PHASE TWO!
Nov 3, 2005
Rochester, NY
Heh, apparently the trick play where Diggs was looking to throw went down in the books as a sack rather than a run for a loss of two yards. So, (tbh) slightly unfairly, the o-line did give up a sack yesterday, preventing them from going two in a row without giving one up.

missingmika

Dec 9, 2006
Josh Allen is 27th in total rushing yards. 1st in yards per carry for anyone with more than 10 rushes. 18th in Rushing TDs.

misterchainsaw

Preparing PHASE TWO!
Nov 3, 2005
Rochester, NY
Graded out at 11th by PFF this week. Not outstanding, but obviously nowhere near the disaster that some are acting like/that his QBR might lead you to believe. And that tracks with what I saw watching the game.
Not that I think PFF is worth the bandwidth it uses, but what was the actual grade? I just looked at their write up of the game and it did not sound positive (although they only considered 1 of the picks a "turnover worthy play", which is the kind of opinion that had me stop paying attention to PFF years ago), saying that he was "likely headed to a sub-60 rating", which is pretty close to average (50).

EDIT: The funny thing with PFF's "turnover worthy play" is usually when I see that number posted from an Allen game I think it's absurdly high. But there's no point in counting turnover worthy plays if you're not counting balls batted up in the air by players in coverage before it gets to the receiver. Defenses run tip drills for a reason. I already said the 3rd one could be mitigated a little by being a great defensive play combined with the tip being near the LoS and going to a defender, but the first two were nothing but turnover worthy.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad