Buffalo Bills Week 8: Bills (5-1) v. Packers (3-4), Sun. @ 8:20

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
Both the Marlowe & Hines moves are absolutely fine value wise - the type of low key moves i expected Beane to make.

I haven't read any comments so apologies if someone said this already - but my only concern in dealing Moss is the complete lack of a power back. There's not enough diversity in the backfield group in that regard. It's a relatively minor problem i guess - but something I'd like to see addressed in the offseason.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
You're writing as if Allen is the unique player who can't be stopped. The league figures players out. The coaches are smarter collectively than a player is good.

Michael Vick was once unstoppable. Then Monte Kiffin figured out how to take away his legs. Everyone copied him, and Vick became less the unstoppable QB.

The day is coming when some defensive coordinator is going to figure out Allen, and it'll get copied, and used against the Bills.

It won't happen to his passing, because QBs throwing from the pocket works. But someone will figure out the running part of Allen's game. And when it happens, the team won't have the ability to hand it to a bell cow runner and get 2-3 tough yards, another proven method of moving the ball.

I hope it doesn't happen in the playoffs.

There's a huge difference between a 3rd and 1 or 3rd and inches, where that play works every time, like it did with Tom Brady.... and a 3rd and 2, where LBs have time to fill and push against the A gaps. The Bills need something aside from that play as soon as the play goes beyond 1 yard to go.

Tell me who can stop the play where Allen ran towards the end zone and gave the D the choice of coming up to stop him or covering Knox. Either way they lost.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Tell me who can stop the play where Allen ran towards the end zone and gave the D the choice of coming up to stop him or covering Knox. Either way they lost.
Huge difference between a scramble, or a bootleg play like what Allen ran on the play you're describing, and a designed QB run.
We do. Jet sweeps. Off tackle runs. Short passing. WR screens. TE screens.

I think what you're really overlooking here is that a power back still needs competent blocking up front. There is zero doubt in my mind that the one weakness this team has is run blocking. A power back would be wasted behind this line that can't power block.
I agree that the Bills OL isn't great a run blocking. But a 6-2/240 RB can pick up 2 yards with even just a couple double team blocks on the inside. The Bills could use that type of player. Doesn't need to be great, just a rotational back that can do that one thing the Bills need.

The scariest down and distance the Bills face in every game is 3rd and 2. You either get an Allen run (which is dangerous and somewhat predictable), a pass, or a running back who doesn't pick it up because they juked or bounced outside, etc.

That's a bootleg pass. Not a deigned power run. Huge difference in play design.

At some point, some team is going to play the Bills the way Leslie Frazier played the Chiefs last year in KC. They'll keep 3-4 rushers in the lanes and give up the run to keep contain, and drop their DBs into a cover 4 umbrella. It'll keep Allen in the pocket and limit big plays. We'll see if Dorsey and Allen are patient enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad