Buffalo Bills Week 8: Bills (5-1) v. Packers (3-4), Sun. @ 8:20

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
still wish they got McCaffrey he doesn't need to run the ball to be effective.
I mean of course McCaffrey would be better but the difference in cost makes such a comparison pointless. The Bills were never going to give up that much. The value he'd bring our already elite offense would not be justified.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Loving bringing Dean Marlow back. I've thought it was a great idea ever since the Buffalo Beat podcast suggested it a couple weeks ago (as did someone on here, I believe)

Very happy with these deadline moves
It's funny because it never occurred to me (obviously I missed the mention here) but as soon as I saw that they got him, it was a "oh, duh" moment for me. At next to no cost they add a guy they have a good amount of trust in who needs no time to acclimate himself, at the position that probably most needed a reinforcement.

billsandsabres

lurking
Sponsor
Mar 6, 2002
troy, ny
Only $4.8 for 2023? That's.....kinda ridiculously low for what he brings to the table.

It wouldn't shock me at all if we go Hines/Cook/draft pick next year.

his and cook's skillset have redundancy. coaches don't trust cook yet. bring in hines for the rest of this year. cut him after this season and let cook loose next year while still on his cheap rookie deal. i can't see them paying $4.8 for a complimentary RB given their cap situation next year and the more important players they need to pay.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
That's rather perfect value. And boy howdy do we have a type at RB. Love our pass catching, run-blocking RBs.

Don't see the need for a power back in this offense. Our power back is Josh Allen.
I was going to ask about Hines pass blocking. That's a big deal to me.

They obviously dont trust Cook yet, and I cant blame them. He'll cook next year!

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
VERY good pass catcher. VERY good pass blocker. He's an ideal 3rd down RB.
What is the chance with Hines on board, Cook is now the "addition" at WR some were clamoring for?
Giving the ball to Allen in short yardage is going to come back to haunt the Bills. He's great at it, but he's also the franchise. He gets hurt, and the Bills aren't going anywhere.

No one plays their defense to stop the Bills running. It's all geared to stop the pass. Defensive coordinators are smarter than Allen and the receivers are good. There's lot of film out there now on Dorsey's offense. Someone is going to figure it out.

3rd and 2, and the Bills have one option: Allen. Defenses are going to know this and they will stop it eventually. Cross your fingers that it's not a playoff situation where it's the key play of the game.

Bookmark this post.

Read above
Quoting this post to follow up later. I agree in principle and concept, the onus now will be on Dorsey to create additional options out of the same formation looks.

I wonder if Milano or another defensive player / lineman would ever be tried in a 3rd & 2 situation. He's not slow, and could throw a chip block...

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
I wonder if Milano or another defensive player / lineman would ever be tried in a 3rd & 2 situation. He's not slow, and could throw a chip block...
I don't know why we would ever risk injuring Milano when we have Reggie. Realistically Josh is our power running 3rd and 2 back...whether that's ideal or not (it's not) is a different discussion but that's the way the offense currently works.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
so in 3rd and one or 4th and one in the playoffs, you want to take the ball out of Allen’s hands?

Agree to disagree, but that is wild to me. And I dont have to bookmark this post. Go look at the playoffs last year and see the bill’s success rate on key conversions when the ball was put in Allen’s hands compared for when it was handed off. The ball should go to your best player in key conversions, period
I do. I want Allen’s runs to be a change up, not the short yardage go to play.

Go look at the last group of Super Bowl winners. None of them had running RBs as their primary short yardage option. And before we get into the “Allen is different” argument, Michael Vick was different, and Lamar Jackson is different. The Bills need a grind it out runner who doesn’t wear 17.

Reactions: Rowley Birkin

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
I do. I want Allen’s runs to be a change up, not the short yardage go to play.

Go look at the last group of Super Bowl winners. None of them had running RBs as their primary short yardage option. And before we get into the “Allen is different” argument, Michael Vick was different, and Lamar Jackson is different. The Bills need a grind it out runner who doesn’t wear 17.

I just don’t agree at all on any level. For a lot of reasons. A traditional running back or power running back is contrary to our team’s strengths, the modern nfl, Allen.

We run very little. We have a historically good offense right now. The answer isn’t to run more.

We have a franchise player. The ball should go to him, not a power running back in critical situations.

The chiefs shouldn’t go to a RB on critical 3rd downs. The bills shouldn’t. It’s wild to think otherwise. When the bills or chiefs failed to convert last year, it was when they took the ball out of their QBs hands.

And the “last Super Bowl winners” argument is irrelevant. We run a different offense. Why in the world does it matter what they did? But for fun, here is what the rams did on 3rd or 4th down with 3 or less yards to go:

Pass (success)
Pass (failed)
Run (failed)
Kupp run (success)
Pass (success)

So out of five times, they went a RB one time and it failed. The other four times, they kept the ball in the hands of their best players and converted 3/4 times. So, no they did not use a power back to any success to convert short yardage situations. And the bills have a much better passing game, with a much better qb.

You keep the ball in Allen’s hands (throwing or running) 99% of the time when it matters. I am surprised anyone is arguing for something different. The dude has shown wild success for conversions when it matters on the big stages

Last edited:
Reactions: Sansbacon

Onslow

Mar 25, 2015
Here and There
I know some people were speculating on Marlowe and I think it’s a great pickup. Good depth and knows the system.

Hines is a total steal. Beane got amazing value. He was great in 2020 with Rivers, and destroyed the Bills (along with Taylor) when they played that season. Not sure what this means for Cook though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad