What will Canada's Winter Olympic Roster look like in 2026?

NordiquesForeva

May 30, 2022
Personally I think the best-on-best game is different than the Stanley Cup playoffs, particularly on international ice. I think the game is much faster, with much more of a premium on skating ability, ability to play at pace, decision-making ability, and proven ability to compete at the highest level. The NHL playoffs are a war of attrition, with more of a premium on wearing out your opponent over a 7-game series by gradually accumulating small "wins", adapting and executing on game-plans, physicality (obviously), and having your elite talent raise their games. At the Olympic level, we would have to assume that our "superstars" would be closely checked by other superstars, and would need to rely on lesser stars to step up their games like Nash, Carter, Richards, Marleau, and Vlasic did in recent Olympics.

I remember watching a documentary or clip about the 2014 Olympic team where it was implied that one of the final decisions came down to the final LW, with Duchene, Couture and Lucic in contention. We know how that turned out, but wonder if the decision would be different for an NHL-sized ice surface tournament. We did see Morrow make the 2010 Olympic team.

I'm not at all convinced that players like Marchand or Stone (in particular) will continue to be viable candidates for a best-on-best team in February 2026. With all due respect I suspect both of them are on the decline due to age and (in the case of Stone) injury.

With respect to Marner, I'd find a spot for him on the team, but would not be at all surprised if he's passed over by the management team. Ironically Marner's PK'g ability might make the decision a little clearer in his favour.

I understand that we would like to construct a roster that fits the same template as the 2010 and 2014 teams, but imho the players aren't necessarily available to do so. Richards finished 2nd in Selke voting and had 80 pts in 79 games in 2008-09; who can offer that level of production, physicality, winning pedigree, and defense? Konecny is the only player I can currently think of that comes remotely close to that package (though his defense isn't Selke-calibre), and someone like Cirelli falls well short of the standard based on offensive production. I wouldn't be opposed to Bennett at all, but he would certainly need to walk a fine line with international refereeing which could limit his effectiveness.

Who can offer the same physicality, nastiness, and corner/net-front work as Morrow, Perry, Benn at this point? I can't really think of anyone obvious at this point. So we need to adapt our roster construction to emphasize our strengths while maintaining enough versatility and diversity of skillsets to plug any gaps or perceived weaknesses. I don't think there is any reason to go bottom-fishing with guys like Cirelli or Bennett (to name a few examples) just because we had (much better) players that played those roles with success in 2010 and 2014. Time for us to move on and construct a new team.

Reactions: ORRFForever

Nucks2001

Jul 6, 2023
Hyman-McDavid-Marner
Point-MacKinnon-Bedard
Lafrenierre-Crosby-Konecny
Verhaeghe-Bennett-Reinhart
Extras: Thomas-Johnston-Jarvis

Toews-Makar
Theodore-Pietrangelo
Morrissey-Doughty
Extras: Rielly-Dobson

Binnington
Hill
Extra: Hofer

Marner would be on a pretty short leash
Not a
So you'd like to bring a player like Marner as Nuck2001 has continued to want on the team who cant be effective in a lower level of hockey that is the stanley cup playoffs? I dont really understand the logic. As you mentioned the 'grind line' on team canada at the last olympics was one of its most effective. Perimeter players that dont get to the middle of the ice simply arent successful when the intensity and level of play is heightened. Bennett is about as close to a Mike Richards style player as Canada has right now.
you keep on praising Sam Bennett. What has he accomplished?

Prime Mike Richards was a force, above PPG, a Stanley Cup Champion and a Selke Finalist. Even from the eye test, Richards is a far better skater and playmaker than Bennett ever will be.

Has Bennett even hit the 50 point mark? For all your playoff game praise, no cups. What has Bennett actually accomplished in his NHL career? Has he ever represented Canada at the the Senior OR even at the juniors?

It’s simple. Look at Sam Bennett play and you’ll realize that while he is an important part of that Panthers team, there is no way a player of his calibre should be starting on a Team Canada roster. I don’t mind him being brought as a spare part, but after the roster is filled with actual elite talent. Bennett won’t have Matthew Tkachuk on his wing

Nucks2001

Jul 6, 2023
Personally I think the best-on-best game is different than the Stanley Cup playoffs, particularly on international ice. I think the game is much faster, with much more of a premium on skating ability, ability to play at pace, decision-making ability, and proven ability to compete at the highest level. The NHL playoffs are a war of attrition, with more of a premium on wearing out your opponent over a 7-game series by gradually accumulating small "wins", adapting and executing on game-plans, physicality (obviously), and having your elite talent raise their games. At the Olympic level, we would have to assume that our "superstars" would be closely checked by other superstars, and would need to rely on lesser stars to step up their games like Nash, Carter, Richards, Marleau, and Vlasic did in recent Olympics.

I remember watching a documentary or clip about the 2014 Olympic team where it was implied that one of the final decisions came down to the final LW, with Duchene, Couture and Lucic in contention. We know how that turned out, but wonder if the decision would be different for an NHL-sized ice surface tournament. We did see Morrow make the 2010 Olympic team.

I'm not at all convinced that players like Marchand or Stone (in particular) will continue to be viable candidates for a best-on-best team in February 2026. With all due respect I suspect both of them are on the decline due to age and (in the case of Stone) injury.

With respect to Marner, I'd find a spot for him on the team, but would not be at all surprised if he's passed over by the management team. Ironically Marner's PK'g ability might make the decision a little clearer in his favour.

I understand that we would like to construct a roster that fits the same template as the 2010 and 2014 teams, but imho the players aren't necessarily available to do so. Richards finished 2nd in Selke voting and had 80 pts in 79 games in 2008-09; who can offer that level of production, physicality, winning pedigree, and defense? Konecny is the only player I can currently think of that comes remotely close to that package (though his defense isn't Selke-calibre), and someone like Cirelli falls well short of the standard based on offensive production. I wouldn't be opposed to Bennett at all, but he would certainly need to walk a fine line with international refereeing which could limit his effectiveness.

Who can offer the same physicality, nastiness, and corner/net-front work as Morrow, Perry, Benn at this point? I can't really think of anyone obvious at this point. So we need to adapt our roster construction to emphasize our strengths while maintaining enough versatility and diversity of skillsets to plug any gaps or perceived weaknesses. I don't think there is any reason to go bottom-fishing with guys like Cirelli or Bennett (to name a few examples) just because we had (much better) players that played those roles with success in 2010 and 2014. Time for us to move on and construct a new team.
Beautifully said. And we have to take pride in that those 2010 and 2014 teams did not have a McDavid, MacKinnon or Makar. Furthermore, Point fills that Toews role beautifully imo. But we have to adjust and take the best players available. Yes, role construction is important but only after you’ve ensured there is enough talent on the roster.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Hyman - McDavid - Bedard
Stamkos - Mackinnon - Point
Marchand - Crosby - Marner
Hagel - Bennett - Stone
Debrusk, Reinhart

Canada needs some physical players. USA have Tkachuk brothers, Kreider, JT Miller, Larkin, Trocheck.

Hyman, Hagel, Debrusk, Bennett, Stone is needed

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018

Lucic was considered in 2014? WOW!

I have no problem with Bennett.

Hyman - McDavid - Bedard
Stamkos - Mackinnon - Point
Marchand - Crosby - Marner
Hagel - Bennett - Stone
Debrusk, Reinhart

Canada needs some physical players. USA have Tkachuk brothers, Kreider, JT Miller, Larkin, Trocheck.

Hyman, Hagel, Debrusk, Bennett, Stone is needed
I never know what to make of Debrusk - but I like him. I didn't realize he was 6'1". I always thought he was a smaller player.

Reactions: Eye of Ra

Mathieukferland

Oct 11, 2020
Sloane Square, Chelsea, England
Current Mock

Crosby-MacKinnon-Marchand
Hyman-McDavid-Bédard
Johnston-Point-Stone
Reinhart-Thomas-Verhaeghe

(Horvat, Byfield, Stamkos, Suzuki, Jarvis, Konecny, Marner, Barzal, Hagel, Lafrenière, Scheifele)

Toews-Makar
Theodore-Pietrangelo
Harley-Doughty

(Power, Chabot, Morrisey,
Bouchard, Weegar, Dobson, Dunn, Montour)

Binnginton
Hill

(Hofer, Thompson)

NordiquesForeva

May 30, 2022
I think the key question for Canada for 2026 will be what we're going to get out of Crosby. He'll be ~38 1/2 years old at the time of the Olympics. Based on his play this past season one could pencil him into a middle-6 centre role, but you'd have to expect some deterioration in his play next season and in the first half of the 2025-26 season (rosters are typically announced in late Dec/early Jan). Is he a #3C for us, shouldering more defensive/matchup responsibility? #4C with more limited/sheltered minutes? Top-9 winger to complement McDavid, MacKinnon or perhaps Point?

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
I think the key question for Canada for 2026 will be what we're going to get out of Crosby. He'll be ~38 1/2 years old at the time of the Olympics. Based on his play this past season one could pencil him into a middle-6 centre role, but you'd have to expect some deterioration in his play next season and in the first half of the 2025-26 season (rosters are typically announced in late Dec/early Jan). Is he a #3C for us, shouldering more defensive/matchup responsibility? #4C with more limited/sheltered minutes? Top-9 winger to complement McDavid, MacKinnon or perhaps Point?

I have him on on MacK left wing with Point the RW.
based on this year's play. subject to change. and how his game is Dec 2025.

Reactions: NordiquesForeva

jigglysquishy

Jun 20, 2011
Regina, Saskatchewan
I think he's destined for the 3C role behind McDavid and MacKinnon. He has the defensive ability to slot in there, and can jump up into 2C if the need arises.

I don't see any of McDavid/MacKinnon/Crosby sliding to wing, but I can see guys like Reinhart, Point, and Bedard moving over.

Reactions: NordiquesForeva

NordiquesForeva

May 30, 2022
I have him on on MacK left wing with Point the RW.
based on this year's play. subject to change. and how his game is Dec 2025.

That would be a very strong 2nd line, leaving more than enough talent for the bottom-6.
I think he's destined for the 3C role behind McDavid and MacKinnon. He has the defensive ability to slot in there, and can jump up into 2C if the need arises.

I don't see any of McDavid/MacKinnon/Crosby sliding to wing, but I can see guys like Reinhart, Point, and Bedard moving over.

Reinhart is predominantly a RW, and I'm fairly convinced Bedard would be more effective on the wing at the best-on-best level at this early stage of his career as well. I see a more focused role for Bedard on the wing as the primary shooter/triggerman on a line with a more experienced puck carrier/distributor at centre that can also assume the centre's defensive responsibilities in the d-zone. Point seems like the kind of player that can adapt to any position, but has obviously excelled as the primary shooter at centre with a pass-first winger (Kucherov). Point is also quite good defensively.

I'd mock up this forward group at this point, assuming the younger players develop as expected and the veterans don't fall off a cliff:

Hyman - McDavid - Bedard
Byfield - MacKinnon - Lafreniere
Point - Crosby - Reinhart
Marchand - Thomas - Johnston
Konecny, Marner

I like keeping McDavid with Hyman, who can take care of his usual business along the boards, in the corners and in front of the net while opening space for Bedard and his lethal shooting ability. With Byfield and Lafreniere on his wings, MacKinnon gets two heavy wingers that can play downhill with him at pace, forecheck and generate scoring from the middle of the ice. Crosby would centre the primary matchup line, between savvy defensive players (and 40+ goal scorers!) in Point and Reinhart. Point is on his wrong side, but that does present the option of having good RHS/LHS faceoff options on the same line for d-zone draws (much like Crosby/Bergeron in 2014). I'd look for them to win their matchups and outscore their opponents' top lines, much like Toews/Richards/Nash in 2010 and Toews/Carter/Marleau in 2014.

The first three lines would receive the bulk of the ice time in this scenario.

The 4th line is more or less the remainder of the players I wanted on the roster at this point. They would get 2-3 ES shifts/period and have a role on special teams. Someone like Marchand could age out by 2026, and if so there are plenty of options to replace him (Hagel, Verhaege come to mind). I think the team needs Konecny as someone that is just a pain in the ass to play against. Marner is someone that is difficult to leave off a roster due to his elite playmaking talent. Johnston, to me, is a must-have at this point and could be someone that rockets up the depth chart in the next 1 1/2 years.

Players like Horvat, Barzal, Suzuki and Jarvis would also be considered.

Overall, some great options and lineup options for Canada.

Reactions: jigglysquishy

Mathieukferland

Oct 11, 2020
Sloane Square, Chelsea, England
Not to name names but to anyone suggesting Parayko and Oleksiak should be anywhere near this roster, they both had brain cramps and atrocious step ups against guys from the Austrian league, imagine with Kucherov and Matthew’s on the other side…. No thank you

Last edited:

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Not to name names but to anyone suggesting Parayko and Oleksiak should be anywhere near this roster, they both has brain cramps and attractions step ups against guys from the Austrian league, imagine with Kucherov and Matthew’s on the other side…. No thank you

Thankfully there is an absolute shit ton of hockey between now and when we have to name the team to see what a larger sample size looks like.

BrettM

Oct 3, 2017
My olympic team(lines notwithstanding)
*alphabetical

Forwards(13)

Connor Bedard
Sidney Crosby
Dylan Cozens
Zach Hyman
Wyatt Johnston
Travis Konecny
Alexis Lafreniere
Nathan MacKinnon
Brad Marchand
Connor McDavid
Ryan O'Reilly
Brayden Point
Mark Scheifele

Defence(7)

Oliver Bonk
Noah Dobson
Drew Doughty
Thomas Harley
Cale Makar
Alex Pietrangelo
Morgan Rielly

Goaltenders(3)

Jordan Binnington
Adin Hill
Stuart Skinner

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
*alphabetical

Forwards(13)

Connor Bedard
Sidney Crosby
Dylan Cozens
Zach Hyman
Wyatt Johnston
Travis Konecny
Alexis Lafreniere
Nathan MacKinnon
Brad Marchand
Connor McDavid
Ryan O'Reilly
Brayden Point
Mark Scheifele

Defence(7)

Oliver Bonk
Noah Dobson
Drew Doughty
Thomas Harley
Cale Makar
Alex Pietrangelo
Morgan Rielly

Goaltenders(3)

Jordan Binnington
Adin Hill
Stuart Skinner
I'm not big on Cozens. There are better options.

I'm concerned Marchand is spent.

NO Morgan Rielly.

Nucks2001

Jul 6, 2023
*alphabetical

Forwards(13)

Connor Bedard
Sidney Crosby
Dylan Cozens
Zach Hyman
Wyatt Johnston
Travis Konecny
Alexis Lafreniere
Nathan MacKinnon
Brad Marchand
Connor McDavid
Ryan O'Reilly
Brayden Point
Mark Scheifele

Defence(7)

Oliver Bonk
Noah Dobson
Drew Doughty
Thomas Harley
Cale Makar
Alex Pietrangelo
Morgan Rielly

Goaltenders(3)

Jordan Binnington
Adin Hill
Stuart Skinner
Cozens will need to bounce back this season otherwise I don’t mind this pick. Scheifele I have left off my roster after his horrendous playoffs performance. Robert Thomas is a better playmaker and skater at this stage in their careers and MUCH better defensively.

Don’t mind the ROR pick. Personally, I’d go with Stone or Jarvis.

Oliver Bonk? Kid hasn’t even played a NHL game.

No Stuart Skinner. Logan Thompson, Connor Ingram or Jarry.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Hyman - McDavid - Marner
Stamkos - Mackinnon - Bedard
Marchand - Crosby - Point
Hagel - Thomas - Reinhart
Barzal, Johnston

Would be my forward group.

Stamkos and Marchand can easily fall out depending on how they look first half of next season and although I like what Hagel brings, need to see him keep up last seasons level of play.

Byfield, Cozens, Stone, Konency, Scheifele, Lafrenierre, McTavish, Stankoven, Suzuki, Horvat, Verhaeghe, Bennett, Jarvis, RNH, Kyrou.

All these guys are in play. Might not be the strongest group we've ever had but among the deepest. How do you choose from all of these players.
That sure is a soft group. I dont see a scenario where they have that little physicality and diversity in the line up. Marner on the first line is also hilarious. He wont be on the team.

THANK YOU. I’m not saying the team doesn’t need grit. You have Hyman and Stone. I wouldn’t mind bringing another grinder as a spare part. Anything beyond that is excessive in my opinion and you need to start putting skilled players in checking roles.

as someone mentioned previously, Olympic hockey is much softer than the NHL playoffs and played on a larger ice surface. You don’t need to sluggish grinders getting cooked by much faster and skilled players.
Bennett and Verhaeghe play with way more pace than Marner. If you think that physicality wont matter you havent watched any international hockey or hockey in general. Every championship team needs grit was a hilarious comment.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Current Mock

Crosby-MacKinnon-Marchand
Hyman-McDavid-Bédard
Johnston-Point-Stone
Reinhart-Thomas-Verhaeghe

(Horvat, Byfield, Stamkos, Suzuki, Jarvis, Konecny, Marner, Barzal, Hagel, Lafrenière, Scheifele)

Toews-Makar
Theodore-Pietrangelo
Harley-Doughty

(Power, Chabot, Morrisey,
Bouchard, Weegar, Dobson, Dunn, Montour)

Binnginton
Hill

(Hofer, Thompson)
That's alot of forwards playing on their wrong sides and out of position. Morrisey is an absolute lock to be on this team. As a sens fan I see no scenario where Chabot gets a sniff on this team.

Point is a great fit to play with Mcdavid, plays with alot of pace, can play wing and had amazing chemistry with him at the WJC.

Crosby isnt moving to the wing.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
That's alot of forwards playing on their wrong sides and out of position. Morrisey is an absolute lock to be on this team. As a sens fan I see no scenario where Chabot gets a sniff on this team.

Point is a great fit to play with Mcdavid, plays with alot of pace, can play wing and had amazing chemistry with him at the WJC.

Crosby isnt moving to the wing.
Please repost your team, Bert.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Marchand is spent. How long until Sid runs out of gas?

You are lecturing me on my selections and you have Oliver Bonk and Morgan Rielly on the team over Morrisey haha man COME ON.
No need to fight, boys, just make a case for your picks. :)

I may be too critical of Leaf players - comes from watching too many of their games but Rielly should not be out there.

Marner... maybe... IF you can convince me... but NO Rielly. God no!

Last edited:

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
MacKinnon is leaving it all out there, tonight. He's glad to have Drouin back - that sounds funny. Anyway, after what happened to the team, a lot of guys would quit so it's nice to see him hallen ass.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Please repost your team, Bert.
This is the 4 nations team next year. Too many variables ahead to pick 2026 olympic team.

Gonna make one switch and move in Weegar. I think this team is balanced and is going to have lines that can identify with a specific role. I could see a scenario where Reinhart and Johnston switch. The bottom two lines can be matchup lines. Its very important for players to have a specific role and embrace it. That's how you get a total buy in.

Hyman Mcdavid Point
Reinhart Mackinnon Barzal
Marchand Crosby Johnston
Verhaeghe Bennett Stone
Byfield Bedard Jarvis

Toews Makar
Morrisey Pietrangelo
Theodore Doughty
Weegar Dobson

Binnington
Hill
Hofer

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
This is the 4 nations team next year. Too many variables ahead to pick 2026 olympic team.

Gonna make one switch and move in Weegar. I think this team is balanced and is going to have lines that can identify with a specific role. I could see a scenario where Reinhart and Johnston switch. The bottom two lines can be matchup lines. Its very important for players to have a specific role and embrace it. That's how you get a total buy in.

Hyman Mcdavid Point
Reinhart Mackinnon Barzal
Marchand Crosby Johnston
Verhaeghe Bennett Stone
Byfield Bedard Jarvis

Toews Makar
Morrisey Pietrangelo
Theodore Doughty
Weegar Dobson

Binnington
Hill
Hofer
I remember this line up. It's terrific. Well done.

Note : I still think Marchand is spent.

Running low on gas concerns : Stone and Sid.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad