Series Discussion: Which Playoff Loss Would You Want Revenge For Most?

What team would you pick to get a playoff series win over

• Total voters

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
With the King Kong sized gorilla that was the ghost of the playoff series losses to the Edmonton Oilers off our back, what team would you most like to get revenge against. I included 1.0 and 2.0 series in this but left Montreal and Detroit out of the equation because a series against them would mean that we are in the Stanley Cup Finals. Below are the options as I see them in no particular order.

Vancouver Canucks - losses in 92 & 93, the 92 series in particular is the ball buster as we blew a 3-1 series lead.

St Louis Blues - we lost in 1982 & 2019 to the Blues, they went on to win the Cup in 2019.

Anaheim - The 2015 debacle was a poor showing for our first 2.0 playoff run.

Vegas Golden Showers - the magical run in 2018 all came crashing down starting in game 2 of this Western Conference Series as the Jets blew their best chance to make the Finals ever.

I didn't include Calgary as we do have 2 series wins over them in the 80's.

Who ya got? And Why?

I went with Vancouver because of how important that was to me at the time. We had quite the rivalry with them in the 80's and early 90's. Plus they would be a pretty easy playoff opponent now. :naughty:

Reactions: FonRiesen

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
I think the Jets team of 2018 was good enough to win the cup.

I don't think I could say that about any other Jets team in history aside from a couple of those Oilers loss squads.

Rapid fire on the others:

The Ducks series would be very fondly remembered if we had completed the comeback in game four and just got one playoff win. Stuart's goal to cut it to one in that game after the entire arena stood throughout a commercial break was so epic.

I blame Trouba for the Blues loss more than the actual Blues, lol.

Vancouver - I'll be honest, while I kept the sting of the Oilers, I never really connected hatred of the Canucks with my retro watching of Jets highlights (I was born in 92) - Maybe because the Moose were the AHL affiliate.

Last edited:

Dale53130

Nov 10, 2019
The Canucks in '92. Game 7 vs the Oilers in '90 hurt the most, but the Canucks in '92 was also a carryover from Game #79 in '91, the Scott Arniel penalty, the OT loss. We had the honor of watching Peter Klima (Oilers) get a hat-trick in game #80, an inconsequential game, to grab that bonus for reaching 40 goals on the year. At the time, while suffering through Klima's hat trick, I was wondering IF the Canucks were to all die in a plane crash, would the Jets make it into the playoffs; so there was still a chance...

If in '91, Ron Caron doesn't giftwrap Geoff Courtnall, Cliff Ronning, Sergio Momesso, and Robert Dirk - what would become the Canucks grit and depth for the next few years - then the Jets (undeservedly) would have made the playoffs, maybe Bob Murdock doesn't get fired (unlikely), and maybe we don't get John Paddock; I was never a Paddock-guy.

What's shocking to me - in retrospect - was that by the time Game 7 in '92 came around, I'd already felt as though the series was over. I was asked late afternoon in high school, day of that game 7, if "Are the Jets going to win tonight?" I was sort of stunned thinking, "Oh yeah, we're not out of it!" I wasn't some casual fan either. Games 5 and 6 were THAT bad.

The Canucks are my least favorite team, because of '91, '92, and '93. I can't stand those teams. And thanks a lot Ron Caron!

Last edited:

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
Vegas - 2017 was a super nice Jets squad. Balanced scoring and D. Young uns and gud vets.

Coaching was a bit of an issue. I realize hindsight is gratuitous horseshyte but thats my take.

Other tangibles that contributed to the general malaise:

The entire Vegas experience while the Jets were trying to use their arena (lighting, practices, kicking Jets fans out)

Air Horn warm up
Wayne Newton

licensed-image

Last edited:

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
Losing to those crying baby little bitches ( female Chiwawa yap/yap/yap) !……. That are the Montreal fans in the all Canadian division finals in a Covid season where it felt like anything could happen.

That piece of crap suspension on Schiefele by the NHL. One week after the NHL players safety just put out a video that players getting hit must be responsible for not putting themselves in a vulnerable situation.

Evans skates with head down for 30-40 feet to the most contested area of the ice / skates against the grain/ against the grain against 6 skaters not 5 as goalie is pulled/ Evans goes around the net against the grain without looking once to see where the pressure is ( which is taught as an absolute not to do in pee wee forward if you do not want to end up eating through a straw) /

The NHL state immediately that Schiefele actual hit was relatively legal but they are looking into the charging aspect of the hit.

They concentrate on the charging aspect of the hit as that rule is written in such a vague manner.

They give Schiefele a 4 game suspension for charging even though he did not take a single actual skating stride from the blue line in!

We lost that series @ that moment with that suspension…. We lost that series because of politics - cry baby little bitches (yapping Female Chiwawa) crying led French leftists wimps/ Gary Bettman being woke leftist views not having any balls/ or conviction and contradicting the NHL rules to in the end punish/ suspend based on the result of the players injury and not the actual play itself. Bettman canceled the Jets that year based on all the crying (Karens) people on the internet. With the biggest Karen / cry baby Ron McLean leading the way!

Bettman should move & base the NHL head quarters in LaLa Land California and maybe change the rules so that all players social distance on the ice by 3 feet!

Heck …… change the rules some more / why do we even have to keep score? Corporate America will pay double$ just to watch the players skate around in shinny uniforms with corporate advertising on it and not hit anybody or even care who wins!

( they have been test marketing that for years with the all star games! )

So to para-phrase……

Montreal Canadian’s and Toronto Mapple Leafs SUCK!!!!

Reactions: Guardian17

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
how is it not vegas?
gentleman sweep in the WCF. and it seems like it's one of the bigger one-sided rivalries in the nhl. the blues and the jets in early jets 2.0 were usually physical affairs however that lost it's flair over the years.

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
Losing to those crying baby little bitches ( female Chiwawa yap/yap/yap) !……. That are the Montreal fans in the all Canadian division finals in a Covid season where it felt like anything could happen.

That piece of crap suspension on Schiefele by the NHL. One week after the NHL players safety just put out a video that players getting hit must be responsible for not putting themselves in a vulnerable situation.

Evans skates with head down for 30-40 feet to the most contested area of the ice / skates against the grain/ against the grain against 6 skaters not 5 as goalie is pulled/ Evans goes around the net against the grain without looking once to see where the pressure is ( which is taught as an absolute not to do in pee wee forward if you do not want to end up eating through a straw) /

The NHL state immediately that Schiefele actual hit was relatively legal but they are looking into the charging aspect of the hit.

They concentrate on the charging aspect of the hit as that rule is written in such a vague manner.

They give Schiefele a 4 game suspension for charging even though he did not take a single actual skating stride from the blue line in!

We lost that series @ that moment with that suspension…. We lost that series because of politics - cry baby little bitches (yapping Female Chiwawa) crying led French leftists wimps/ Gary Bettman being woke leftist views not having any balls/ or conviction and contradicting the NHL rules to in the end punish/ suspend based on the result of the players injury and not the actual play itself. Bettman canceled the Jets that year based on all the crying (Karens) people on the internet. With the biggest Karen / cry baby Ron McLean leading the way!

Bettman should move & base the NHL head quarters in LaLa Land California and maybe change the rules so that all players social distance on the ice by 3 feet!

Heck …… change the rules some more / why do we even have to keep score? Corporate America will pay double$ just to watch the players skate around in shinny uniforms with corporate advertising on it and not hit anybody or even care who wins!

( they have been test marketing that for years with the all star games! )

So to para-phrase……

Montreal Canadian’s and Toronto Mapple Leafs SUCK!!!!

Definitely my most hated fan base.

WolfgangPuck

May 12, 2012
1. 1985 Oilers. Jamie Macoun is a fkn piece of shit.

2. 1990 Oilers. Bob Murdoch was a peewee coach.

3. Anaheim Ducks - losing to Corey fkn Perry sucks.
1985 was Flame's Jamie Macoun cross check to Hawerchuk and broke ribs that cause us to lose
Jets were underdogs on all those series in the 80s and we could not get past Gretzky's Oilers
It was fun to finally beat Oilers and McDavid during the covid playoff years
What hurt most is still Vegas
Cant wait to meet them in west finals this year and win

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
I say Vegas 'cause it likely means they are repeating the WCF and a win means the team goes to the CUP.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
1985 was Flame's Jamie Macoun cross check to Hawerchuk and broke ribs that cause us to lose
Jets were underdogs on all those series in the 80s and we could not get past Gretzky's Oilers
It was fun to finally beat Oilers and McDavid during the covid playoff years
What hurt most is still Vegas
Cant wait to meet them in west finals this year and win
We lost to the Oilers because the Flames Macoun took out hawerchuk in game 7.

Love how you exactly explain my point in your Google correction post haha

Reactions: AlaskaJet

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
Calgary.

I know historically we have two series wins against them, but I was a kid when Jamie Macoun took out Hawerchuk with a dirty hit, assuring the Jets would be eliminated fast by the defending Cup champions Edmonton Oilers. Then during the COVID season. we were on a hot streak before the COVID pandemic shut down the Jets momentum, only to have Matt Tkachuk cheap shot Mark Scheifele, taking him out of the series by deliberately stomping on his heel.

However, if I had to choose one team on the list, it would be Vegas. They are a classless organisation, who were gifted a star team right off the gate.

Last edited:
Reactions: Guardian17

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad