Who is this Bedard guy?

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
I think Bedard will end as good as current Mackinnon. He will start off his NHL career better than Mackinnon did. Mackinnon was good then cooled off and now he’s been hot. I just don’t see his playmaking ability good enough to overtake McDavid anytime soon. Even tho Bedard’s shot is really good, just like Mackinnon, his playmaking is what’s holding him back from being better than McDavid

Rengorlex

Aug 25, 2021
I think his lack of size and gamebreaking skating ability will hold him back a little. I don't know if he'll ever be considered the de-facto best player in the world. I won't mind if he does though, I'm not going to be a bitch when someone other than McDavid becomes the #1 in the world. Probably 5-6 years down the line though as he's getting better every year.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Bedard might not be McDavid good but I bet he will be close.
Define close. Within 50pts? heh

Bedard probably be around PPG player. You don't know much about a Junior player until he hits the NHL. What we do know is it takes far more than Junior results to make a near McD player and we also know that none exist on the planet. To wit no player on Earth is like McDavid. So saying that Bedard is defies understanding of probability.

EnufAlready

Dec 31, 2021
I hope Bedard shatters every record this tournament has to offer. Why wouldnt we as he is a Canadian kid and a Western one at that!! After that I hope he does become the next McDavid no matter where he plays. Thats what keeps the greatest game in the world healthy and what could be better than the greatest ones coming from Canada!

We cant all have the Great Ones…

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
Define close. Within 50pts? heh

Bedard probably be around PPG player. You don't know much about a Junior player until he hits the NHL. What we do know is it takes far more than Junior results to make a near McD player and we also know that none exist on the planet. To wit no player on Earth is like McDavid. So saying that Bedard is defies understanding of probability.

Bedard will be challenging Mcdavid for the Art Ross in the next 3 seasons.

Satire

Nov 20, 2016
Bedard who? After yet another McD great performance. Can't believe some Oilers fans thinking this guy is as good as McD. Anybody gets a chance to erase their posts now.
If I had to bet on it, I think he'll be the next generational player. Will he be as good as peak McDavid? Don't know. Will he probably be the best player in this league in about 5 years time? I honestly do think so.

It's not a knock to McDavid either. Players age and regress. McDavid will too one day. :)

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Bedard will be challenging Mcdavid for the Art Ross in the next 3 seasons.
No player in the world is close to McD. Nobody but Draisaitl who is on for some of the same pts as McD is within even 20pts of him 40% into the schedule. McD could establish a stagger of 40-50pts between himself and anybody else this season.

So that theres McD, then all the mortals. But somehow Bedard is a sure bet to challenge McD in 3 seasons. McD will be 28 then and at the cusp of his prime still. Bedard will be a young player still figuring it out and NOT at prime.

Junior results cannot be translated to mean that one player is better or close to another. Junior results don't even mean a player is a lock at this level. I could see Bedard being a Kucherov type player. Even that would be a tremendous accomplishment for the kid. We don't even know the kid can withstand NHL punishment yet. Not saying he can't but the measure of a player here becomes how well will he contribute while being less than 100%. Because in the NHL you are seldom at optimal health and as a star player you are always banged up.

EnufAlready

Dec 31, 2021
If I had to bet on it, I think he'll be the next generational player. Will he be as good as peak McDavid? Don't know. Will he probably be the best player in this league in about 5 years time? I honestly do think so.

It's not a knock to McDavid either. Players age and regress. McDavid will too one day. :)
Its a possibility for sure. We can only hope he becomes great!

Its weird to me the hatred of the best players in the game today by our fanbase. We can love our players and at the same time realize the greatness of others. The players themselves do this. Its called respect and if you have played at any level its the way you feel and act. I find it especially odd when some love to trash ex oilers who were traded to other teams. Makes no f***ing sense.

No one knows where Bedard will be at in 5 or 10 years. Not wanting him to be great or greater than McDavid is idiotic.

Ive watched Bedard many times. He's Special at the level hes at. Incredible!

Ive only seen McDavid live a handful of times, wish it were more, and he is the greatest of his generation.

Lets hope Bedard is the next great Canadian

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Bedard will be a Art Ross winner or probably MVP as well down the road....only because McDavid will be too old to challenge him and he has the most talent to do so

he's not at McDavid's "generational" elite talent though...he's on the small size at only 5'10" and not nearly thick enough like Crosby was at 18 to play along the wall

elite talent, just not "generational" IMO

Reactions: Oilhawks and frag2

grego

Jan 12, 2005
Saskatchewan
I use generational for a well rounded player.

I never called jagr or even Ovechkin as generational. Because make our own definition.

I see a generational as the fully rounded offensive player. Gretzky, Lemieux, Crosby, mcdavid.

A small group of talented playmaker that are also great at scoring. And can beat you no matter the game you play.

Take away the pass and they become a shooter, if a goalie commits to a shot they recognize and do a pass to a player with a better chance.

Generational players have a skill level and ability to see the game way beyond others.

Even as a fan that always says, people don't give draisaitl outside of Edmonton recognition for how good he is, I don't consider drai as generation

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Its a possibility for sure. We can only hope he becomes great!

Its weird to me the hatred of the best players in the game today by our fanbase. We can love our players and at the same time realize the greatness of others. The players themselves do this. Its called respect and if you have played at any level its the way you feel and act. I find it especially odd when some love to trash ex oilers who were traded to other teams. Makes no f***ing sense.

No one knows where Bedard will be at in 5 or 10 years. Not wanting him to be great or greater than McDavid is idiotic.

Ive watched Bedard many times. He's Special at the level hes at. Incredible!

Ive only seen McDavid live a handful of times, wish it were more, and he is the greatest of his generation.

Lets hope Bedard is the next great Canadian
it's not idiotic, we are Oiler fans....of course we want to see Connor among the greatests of all time and not some player from another team like Bedard

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

Sure. But theres too many intangibles for predictions that Bedard will be McD, or better than McD at this point or in future. From the looks of things several posters or putting him in best in NHL class before he's played a single NHL game.

Myself having seen the greatest players to have ever played the game through 55yrs I've seen a lot better than what I'm seeing from Bedard. In the case of Gretzky it was unmistakable the kid was special, that kid defined phenom and he had since he was a kid. By age 12 Gretz was considered can't miss.

This is a different take but I think its dismissive of the exploits of the best ever players like Gretz or McD to have Bedard already annointed as Phenom when he is nothing like those players.

I'll watch some more but I'm not prone to thinking Bedard is going to be best in league or better than the generational McD. Seems like every other year some kind of junior kid is getting the over hype express.

In over half a century these are the kids that astounded me from seeing them play Junior Hockey. Orr, Lafleur, Gretz, Crosby, Lemieux, Jagr, Lindros. Its a pretty short list. Maybe its harder to wow me now. heh

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
it's not idiotic, we are Oiler fans....of course we want to see Connor among the greatests of all time and not some player from another team like Bedard
Bang. On the contrary I could say (if I was predisposed) that its idiotic for fans of the Oilers, getting to watch the greatest player on Earth waxing at length over some Connor Bedard. Its kind of odd all day. jmo.

I'll take the greatest players we've had any time.

Why on Earth would an actual Oilers fan want Bedard to be better than McD. Whats the reason to want that? I don't get it.

EnufAlready

Dec 31, 2021
So you dont enjoy Crosby? You dont hope Makar becomes the next Bobby Orr? Im an Oiler fan but a hockey fan too. Love a good goal, a great hit, a solid fight no matter who's in it. We are getting the treat of a lifetime watching MCDavid chew it up right now. I hope I can watch Bedard do the same.

McDavid has already put his name in with the greats. And in the end we cant compare Gretz or Connor or Howe.

I want Bedard to be great no matter where he plays. Only makes sense.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
So you dont enjoy Crosby? You dont hope Makar becomes the next Bobby Orr? Im an Oiler fan but a hockey fan too. Love a good goal, a great hit, a solid fight no matter who's in it. We are getting the treat of a lifetime watching MCDavid chew it up right now. I hope I can watch Bedard do the same.

McDavid has already put his name in with the greats. And in the end we cant compare Gretz or Connor or Howe.

I want Bedard to be great no matter where he plays. Only makes sense.
meh, not really...it's cool I guess but I'm an Oiler fan first

watching Makar score a ton of points for the Avs does nothing for me, or Crosby in Pittsburgh

Reactions: Oilhawks

EnufAlready

Dec 31, 2021
meh, not really...it's cool I guess but I'm an Oiler fan first

watching Makar score a ton of points for the Avs does nothing for me, or Crosby in Pittsburgh
Fair answer….

I love watching Makar. When the Avs play the Oilers I want 2 Oiler points.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Myself I love and respect a lot of players league wide and enjoy watching them play. Nobody was stating otherwise. Where the recoil occurs is in the unsubstantiated suggestion that Connor Bedard is better than Connor McDavid who is more prolific than almost anybody in history.

Its the blatant overhype, with no results, that people push back on.

On a personal level I love the demeanor of McD and how he was raised. He's not a player that loves shoving somebodies nose in it. He's the greatest in the world and he's NOT a showboat. Whereas I see that tendency in Connor Bedard. Maybe I'm making something that isn't there but I'm less thrilled with how Bedard comports himself.

We've been so lucky to have a generational superstar that doesn't even have the arrogance that is sometimes attached.

To wit on a personal level people like Messi more than Ronaldo. In human terms its understandable why they do.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
No player in the world is close to McD. Nobody but Draisaitl who is on for some of the same pts as McD is within even 20pts of him 40% into the schedule. McD could establish a stagger of 40-50pts between himself and anybody else this season.

So that theres McD, then all the mortals. But somehow Bedard is a sure bet to challenge McD in 3 seasons. McD will be 28 then and at the cusp of his prime still. Bedard will be a young player still figuring it out and NOT at prime.

Junior results cannot be translated to mean that one player is better or close to another. Junior results don't even mean a player is a lock at this level. I could see Bedard being a Kucherov type player. Even that would be a tremendous accomplishment for the kid. We don't even know the kid can withstand NHL punishment yet. Not saying he can't but the measure of a player here becomes how well will he contribute while being less than 100%. Because in the NHL you are seldom at optimal health and as a star player you are always banged up.
Some how your confusing a prime 25 year old Mcdavid to a 17 year old Bedard, thats fair..........

Same age they are very much comparable.

Reactions: EnufAlready

Cagey B

Jul 21, 2021
Myself I love and respect a lot of players league wide and enjoy watching them play. Nobody was stating otherwise. Where the recoil occurs is in the unsubstantiated suggestion that Connor Bedard is better than Connor McDavid who is more prolific than almost anybody in history.

On a personal level I love the demeanor of McD and how he was raised. He's not a player that loves shoving somebodies nose in it. He's the greatest in the world and he's NOT a showboat. Whereas I see that tendency in Connor Bedard. Maybe I'm making something that isn't there but I'm less thrilled with how Bedard comports himself.

We've been so lucky to have a generational superstar that doesn't even have the arrogance that is sometimes attached.

To wit on a personal level people like Messi more than Ronaldo. In human terms its understandable why they do.
I agree... before McDavid was drafted I recall seeing interviews with him and you knew his head was on right. I dont know about Bedard as I haven't seen any interviews but I wouldn't be shocked if hes a little bit of a jerk.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Some how your confusing a prime 25 year old Mcdavid to a 17 year old Bedard, thats fair..........

Same age they are very much comparable.
I'm comparing McD to any player in the world that is not even close to what McD is, who are playing in the NHL, that can't carry his jockstrap.

Theres no reason to believe Bedard is as good because Junior Hockey doesn't tend to demonstrate that. At NHL level Bedard is an unknown. Whats with the rush for unsubstantiated pronouncements about Bedard being better on the Oilers board? lol

I agree... before McDavid was drafted I recall seeing interviews with him and you knew his head was on right. I dont know about Bedard as I haven't seen any interviews but I wouldn't be shocked if hes a little bit of a jerk.
He was already called out by the coach after the Czech game for showboating and Michigan moves and the coach saying "There ought to have been more conviction on the ice in hockey plays." Not the only one noticing Bedard is already a showboat. Carry that attitude in NHL and you'll get served. Somebody will feed him. Prople are quick to forget but there was lots of criticism of Bedard and team canada after the dressing down b the Czechs.

Last edited:

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
I'm comparing McD to any player in the world that is not even close to what McD is, who are playing in the NHL, that can't carry his jockstrap.

Theres no reason to believe Bedard is as good because Junior Hockey doesn't tend to demonstrate that. At NHL level Bedard is an unknown. Whats with the rush for unsubstantiated pronouncements about Bedard being better on the Oilers board? lol

He was already called out by the coach after the Czech game for showboating and Michigan moves and the coach saying "There ought to have been more conviction on the ice in hockey plays." Not the only one noticing Bedard is already a showboat. Carry that attitude in NHL and you'll get served. Somebody will feed him. Prople are quick to forget but there was lost of criticism of Bedard and team canada after the dressing down b the Czechs.

Hes as good at the same age, thats saying something, not sure why you keep comparing comparing a 17 year old to a 25 year old.

Same age and ages prior hes on track or ahead of where Mcdavid was.

Pretty impressive. Generational talent right now. There isnt many of them in our lifetime, lets just enjoy that he actually is.

Reactions: EnufAlready

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains

Heres a little snippet of how Connor was raised, since your so behind on everything Bedard

Your making something that isnt there.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
He's more like Crosby than a McDavid in how he plays, but faster than Crosby. His numbers are actually better than McDavid's at the same age. He's been hyped for probably 5+ years now honestly as being the next generational player and likely fits the bill too. He will be at minimum a franchise player if not generational. This draft is absolutely stacked as well, as there are several other players under the radar that are franchise-level prospects rounding out the top 5. This might be a deeper draft class than 2015. The future of hockey is bright.

His numbers are not better than McDavid's at the same age. Unless you're referring solely on a WJC tournament that really doesn't mean a whole lot.

McDavid's draft year regular season was better than what Bedard is doing right now, and it's even more impressive because McDavid's shot was a weak point at that age while Bedards is top notch. Typically having an elite shot in junior is going to beat bad CHL goaltending i.e. Nail Yakupov. Obviously not comparing Bedard to Yakupov because Bedard is likely the best prospect we've seen besides McDavid since Crosby, but I don't think he's at McDavid's level. Not only did McDavid have a superior draft year regular season, but he didn't slow down at all into the playoffs.

Last edited:
Reactions: Drivesaitl

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Hes as good at the same age, thats saying something, not sure why you keep comparing comparing a 17 year old to a 25 year old.

Same age and ages prior hes on track or ahead of where Mcdavid was.

Pretty impressive. Generational talent right now. There isnt many of them in our lifetime, lets just enjoy that he actually is.
I love a lot of players. I don't love arrogant showboats. I wasn't the one comparing him to McD I was the one responding to such unsubstantiated comparison.

In anycase as an Oilers fan I'm not required to love Connor Bedard and I don't. That okay?

Last edited:
Reactions: CantHaveTkachev

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad