Winnipeg Jets 2024-25 Coaching Thread

Orrrules

Mar 6, 2021
then why not just have hired him already? interviewing others with no intention of hiring them does nothing at all
As already stated due diligence. Now perhaps something unforseen happens and they pivot, is possible but not very likely imo.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
I just think there was basically a plan set in motion when the Jets brought Bowness in. I think he was here for 2 seasons right from day 1 and they brought in Arniel to essentially work with him and (ideally) allow a smooth transition from Bowness to Arniel as head coach. Is it a good plan? I would say perhaps not, but I think we're gonna find out lol...

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Yup. It's also about how well will the players react to him as head coach vs. Assistant.

Also I think this org could tend to be more bold and visionary. Here is a chance to do just that.
Lol you were the one campaigning for Vincent and trashing Bowness before he even coached here.

RestlessYoungZero

Jul 10, 2011
Another thought I had, but how often does promoting the assistant work? They are two different roles and often involve different types of relationships with the players. I guess it worked for Bones in Dallas, but it didn't work for the Islanders or the Capitals.

I don't have an issue giving Arniel a chance but are we setting him up for success moving him from assistant to head coach.
I mean... Berube was the assistant coach in St. Louis, then they fired Yeo, Berube took over and they went on to win the Cup.

Reactions: Jets 31 and Buffdog

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Whoever the hire is, I hope that the org is clear about expectations. For example, "we expect to advance to the second round of the playoffs" or "we expect to make the playoffs while integrating these two rookies into the line up"

Reactions: Jets 31

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Do I think Berube will be the Jets next coach, doubtful. Do I think Arniel will be the next Jets coach, probably. Still think that's a mistake though, then again I think it's time to move on from Chevy

It could be a mistake but right now Berube is the top guy on the market and he'll have choices. It might be a mistake they're forced into making. Berube staying in Toronto to do a Zoom interview tells me that's the job he wants but he'll interview elsewhere to make sure he's 100% on that.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
It could be a mistake but right now Berube is the top guy on the market and he'll have choices. It might be a mistake they're forced into making. Berube staying in Toronto to do a Zoom interview tells me that's the job he wants but he'll interview elsewhere to make sure he's 100% on that.
Also possible to be using other interviews as leverage on the Leafs. They have DEEP pockets and it doesn't hurt for them to hear that he's talking to other trams to get the to pay up (if they really want him)

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Another thought I had, but how often does promoting the assistant work? They are two different roles and often involve different types of relationships with the players. I guess it worked for Bones in Dallas, but it didn't work for the Islanders or the Capitals.

I don't have an issue giving Arniel a chance but are we setting him up for success moving him from assistant to head coach.

Don’t know how much a difference it made, but technically Arniel was an associate coach and not an assistant coach. So we dont know the inner workings and how the head coach / associate coach relationship worked, but maybe the associate coach always a much bigger role in the decisions than a normal assistant coach would have had… dunno, but I think Arniel was hired with the specific future head coach job in mind.

JMO, but the job is Arniel’s unless someone comes in and blows Chevy’s socks off and we just can’t pass them up.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Don’t know how much a difference it made, but technically Arniel was an associate coach and not an assistant coach. So we dont know the inner workings and how the head coach / associate coach relationship worked, but maybe the associate coach always a much bigger role in the decisions than a normal assistant coach would have had… dunno, but I think Arniel was hired with the specific future head coach job in mind.

JMO, but the job is Arniel’s unless someone comes in and blows Chevy’s socks off and we just can’t pass them up.

I believe this to be the case as well. But he should interview all candidates as it is at minimum a free source of information from a number of league experts on how they view the team and how they could optimize its performance.

Aries56

Jan 10, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
I don't understand why everyone thinks they are handing the job to Arniel. The organization is under pressure right now for selling tickets and trying to win back fans, hence the "we're all in" slogan.

The zoom meeting with Berube very well could be the team and Berube setting expectations and seeing if it's a good fit both ways.

They have had great hires in Maurice, and Bones. Why would they dial it in now and give Arniel the job just because he's here? If makes no sense.

Interview the top candidates, understand the system they would be bringing to the team, and determine who the best fit is. I can't see Chevy doing it any other way. Maybe it is Arniel in the end, but he's gotta win the job.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I don't understand why everyone thinks they are handing the job to Arniel. The organization is under pressure right now for selling tickets and trying to win back fans, hence the "we're all in" slogan.

The zoom meeting with Berube very well could be the team and Berube setting expectations and seeing if it's a good fit both ways.

They have had great hires in Maurice, and Bones. Why would they dial it in now and give Arniel the job just because he's here? If makes no sense.

Interview the top candidates, understand the system they would be bringing to the team, and determine who the best fit is. I can't see Chevy doing it any other way. Maybe it is Arniel in the end, but he's gotta win the job.

I hope this is the case but Chipman has a big say in things and he believes in loyalty and in his old Moose coaches as he's said before.

Noel was given the first job

Reactions: Zippity

JetsFan815

Replacement Level Poster
Jan 16, 2012
I really hope the rumors about Jets interest in Keefe are true. I think the guy is a great coach. Look at the Leafs d-corps this season... d-corps is almost as bad as Jets 20-21 d-corps and he managed to get league average defense out of that. In previous seasons where the d-corps was better they had amazing numbers. I also like that guy is supposedly a bit of a dick and a hardass, he couldn't be that in Toronto due to their star players being untouchable but he can be with the Jets.

I think he would be a great hire for the Jets.

The only downside is he might be skeptical of playing younger players but the younger players available to him here are better than they were in Toronto so that might fix itself.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
I believe this to be the case as well. But he should interview all candidates as it is at minimum a free source of information from a number of league experts on how they view the team and how they could optimize its performance.
Great point

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Should've wrote is/was, could be more vacancies for him but if it's the Leafs and Jets as his choices I don't like our chances.

I don't know that I'd be that interested in him truth be told. He's more of the same type as what we've had with our last number of coaches.

Reactions: Mathil8

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad