Winnipeg Jets going into the 24/25 season

What do you feel is the top Priority for 2024-2025?

• New Special Team Coach (replace Lauer)

Votes: 33 21.2%
  • New Head Coach (replace Bowness)

Votes: 14 9.0%
  • Replace both coaches (replace Bowness and Lauer)

Votes: 68 43.6%
  • New General Manager (replace Cheveldayoff)

Votes: 16 10.3%
  • Trade Forwards/picks for improved Defense core. (Replacements for Pionk & Stanley)

Votes: 49 31.4%
  • Improved process to integrate youth (mostly our prospects) into the NHL club and give longer leash

Votes: 33 21.2%
  • Ensure strong Back-up Goalie (like Brossoit) and give MINIMUM of 30 games (Load Mgmt for Helly)

Votes: 4 2.6%
  • Trade Vezina Helly if we get a great offer

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Create time travel (or borrow this current tech from the CIA) and bring back Prime Byfuglien

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Trade multiple Players for picks - start mini Re-build

Votes: 6 3.8%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
the answer for how the Jets can supposedly be like Dallas right now:

- top talented vets - our Seguin and Benn equivalents (so, 2 of scheifele, connor or ehlers) - should be demoted and replaced with prospects
- play perfetti, or samberg more (both were a bunch of nothings in the POs)
- insert Heinola
what?! This is over the top, crack smoking ridiculousness. Yeah you're going to replace 40 goal scorers/ppg+ players with Perfetti, Samberg and Heinola.....

I think there are a lot of people here who should just take a break from hockey for a couple months because they have lost their minds.

A top 4 team that continues to shit the bed in the playoffs year after year(historically this season). Trading Ehlers is hardly a rebuild. This team needs new blood and a shakeup. The old blood aint cutting it.
How many years in a row have they been a top 4 team with the best GA for now?

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
I can’t believe the playoffs aren’t even over and we have the mid summer madness taking hold. Jets finish in 4th place and we have people wanting a rebuild :laugh:. Just throw whatever “youth” into the line up and in Unicornlandia they will magically all succeed and one day we might become …….wait for it….a top 10 team.
We are definitely in full stride for pointlessly patronizing self serving posts...

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
A lot of debate of if the Jets need to do a youth movement. But to put it in a little perspective all the teams still alive in the playoffs are all very veteran teams including Dallas, who just happens to also have 3 exceptional players in the 21-24 y/o range as well (Heiskanen, Robertson, Johnson). Dallas actually has the same average age as the Jets, but our closest compatibles to the above in the same younger age range is Samberg, Vilardi and Perfetti. While good players they aren't in the same category of skill level. If the Jets had the same caliber of younger players, no doubt they would be given key roles. Giving bigger roles to lesser players won't make them top pairing defensmen or 100 point wingers.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
what?! This is over the top, crack smoking ridiculousness. Yeah you're going to replace 40 goal scorers/ppg+ players with Perfetti, Samberg and Heinola.....

I think there are a lot of people here who should just take a break from hockey for a couple months because they have lost their minds.

How many years in a row have they been a top 4 team with the best GA for now?
Lol nvm. It wasn't serious should've used the :sarcasm: my bad. Read the around the league thread where folks are circle jerking dallas.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
A lot of debate of if the Jets need to do a youth movement. But to put it in a little perspective all the teams still alive in the playoffs are all very veteran teams including Dallas, who just happens to also have 3 exceptional players in the 21-24 y/o range as well (Heiskanen, Robertson, Johnson). Dallas actually has the same average age as the Jets, but our closest compatibles to the above in the same younger age range is Samberg, Vilardi and Perfetti. While good players they aren't in the same category of skill level. If the Jets had the same caliber of younger players, no doubt they would be given key roles. Giving bigger roles to lesser players won't make them top pairing defensmen or 100 point wingers.
But are they lesser players when Pionk is the 3rd in ice time among d?

NA Hockey

Nov 16, 2015
So Samberg is equivalent to Heiskanen, but the barrier is Pionk?
Samberg is not the equivalent of Heikanen but, if he is better than Pionk, he should play more than Pionk. That is plain and simple and should be the case in the NHL.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

Well Perfetti was providing equal results to Johnston prior to his slump and subsequent demotion. I think they very much are in the same tier but I won't get into it more then that.

But while I'd like to see some youth infused I doubt it happens. I expect Cole goes back into the top 6 full time and Ville takes a third pairing slot. Otherwise they will run it back with other vet additions.

I think McGroarty going back to school told us all we needed to know about the chances of a young forward cracking the roster. Had they planned on opening a slot he likely signs and is the front runner going into camp.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Well Perfetti was providing equal results to Johnston prior to his slump and subsequent demotion. I think they very much are in the same tier but I won't get into it more then that.

But while I'd like to see some youth infused I doubt it happens. I expect Cole goes back into the top 6 full time and Ville takes a third pairing slot. Otherwise they will run it back with other vet additions.

I think McGroarty going back to school told us all we needed to know about the chances of a young forward cracking the roster. Had they planned on opening a slot he likely signs and is the front runner going into camp.
"take away all the bad games and look at only the good games and they were the same!"

bumblebeeman

Mar 16, 2016

I don't buy that last paragraph, I can't imagine Chevy having that firm of an idea of the roster make up for next year. I really hope so at least. That would mean him blindly refusing to promote any young players and penciling in several ufa forwards in the roster, which doesn't seem like the move, or like something he would tell an un-signed propect.

But anyways, I'd like to see Chibrikov in the bottom 6. Plays hard and fast and has some skill. Maybe on a line with Names and Barron, could be fun. That 2nd line tho is ??? especially if Ehlers gets traded. I wonder if Perfetti ever gets a shot at C

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I don't buy that last paragraph, I can't imagine Chevy having that firm of an idea of the roster make up for next year. I really hope so at least. That would mean him blindly refusing to promote any young players and penciling in several ufa forwards in the roster, which doesn't seem like the move, or like something he would tell an un-signed propect.

But anyways, I'd like to see Chibrikov in the bottom 6. Plays hard and fast and has some skill. Maybe on a line with Names and Barron, could be fun. That 2nd line tho is ??? especially if Ehlers gets traded. I wonder if Perfetti ever gets a shot at C

I think most teams have a very good idea what their rosters are going to be which is why they can have honest conversations with their top prospects. They absolutely have to know this in a cap league. Also people place way too much emphasis on TC. It's a very small sample in which the established players are largely going through the motions and shaking off rust.

It won't be impossible for a kid to make it but the person is going to have to shoot the lights out at camp.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016

Is he more ready, better now than lambert or chib?

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
If Ehlers leaves and unless one of the younger players makes a leap forward. The Jets could be thrown back to the stone age of 20-22 Jets, forget playoffs, the regular season might be in danger.
The Jets will trade Ehlers they won't just let him walk to free agency, maybe the trade would help the Jets if they get a good return.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Good post, i think some get the shiny new toy syndrome a little when it comes to young players. If you can get a nice mix of young and veteran players obviously that's ideal for cap reasons but if you don't have the very good young players or they aren't ready yet for a big role , forcing them in the lineup can hurt more than help .

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Good post, i think some get the shiny new toy syndrome a little when it comes to young players. If you can get a nice mix of young and veteran players obviously that's ideal for cap reasons but if you don't have the very good young players or they aren't ready yet for a big role , forcing them in the lineup can hurt more than help .

Of course, you don't know until you try. Dallas tries. We'll see if the Jets do. They don't need and shouldn't have 4-5 rookies in the lineup, but Heinola could save cap space on the defense in a third pairing role they could use on a righty, and they should give a shot to Lambert/Chibrikov and see if one of them earns a spot to start. If they struggle, send them down.

The Stars could have left tiny Stankoven in the AHL all year, they called him up and gave him a shot.

They sent down Harley to play all year in the AHL, then called him up with 6 games left in the regular season to give him a shot.

Wyatt Johnston didn't play a second in the AHL. No "earning his time" there. They liked what they saw and put him in a spot where he could develop in the NHL. If he sunk then he'd be sent back, but he got the opportunity to run with it.

Stankoven was a second round pick in 2021, Johnston was drafted behind Lucius, Harley drafted right where Heinola was. These weren't "can't miss" elite prospects. They're above our prospects now because they're performing like very good NHLers, maybe one of our guys could be that next year.

Some people are going crazy with the youth movement posts on here, but the Stars are doing it the right way.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
I agree in regard to the players you mention.
Might just be me but on the topic of youth, I'd like to see the Jets be more aggressive in the future with the guys on the horizon - not necessarily the guys that have been unable to break the line up recently - or the guys that have but are not at the level of the Stars players you mention.

As a draft / develop org, should we be more aggressive in opening up opportunities for younger players - and should we not necessarily model our process around teams that have better players or better prospects - and the ability to sign better players?

This org wants to win so some might argue they are setting aside their draft/develop fundamentals to do that. That's where the argument begins - should we do that? And are we trying to keep up with the big boys by using their team building strategy when the playing field isn't necessarily level in that regard.
I think there is a valid argument that we don't provide the opportunity for younger players under the assumption we are a draft / develop team. Some might say the method is a two headed monster - we reduce opportunity by filling holes in the lineup by giving up draft picks. Less openings for youth and less draft picks to build your prospect pool.

Is it just about making the playoffs?

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
The more I think about it, the more I see the org's need to have Lowry's line as a shutdown line as an impediment to integrating young, skilled forwards on the team

It seems like they're either thrust into a high-pressure top 6 role or misplaced on the 4th line

Ideally a young, skilled centre like Lambert gets eased in with third line minutes with solid veteran wingers vs weaker matchups

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
The more I think about it, the more I see the org's need to have Lowry's line as a shutdown line as an impediment to integrating young, skilled forwards on the team

It seems like they're either thrust into a high-pressure top 6 role or misplaced on the 4th line

Ideally a young, skilled centre like Lambert gets eased in with third line minutes with solid veteran wingers vs weaker matchups

That is how the org has viewed it but does it need to view it that way? The Lowry line is only one line and the org could choose to do any number of things with the other three.

Why can't we roll 4 lines like Dallas and have a soft offensive 3B line instead of a gritty energy line?

We have Name and he was good with Cole last year, why not have him mentor Lambert on a fourth line that gets 13-14 minutes? Iafallo was fine with Cole as well so you could have a fourth line that can do some things offensively against soft opposition with Lambert/Namestnikov/Iafallo.

The org is stuck in doing the same things but it doesn't have to be whether they continue to deploy a Lowry checking unit or not.

Why not something like this:

Xxx Scheifele Vilardi
KC Perfetti Nino
Barron Lowry Appelton
Iafallo Lambert/Name Lambert/Name

Reactions: Adam da bomb

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
The age of the player or experience of the player or the contract of the player shouldn't matter, The only thing that should matter is the ability of the player. But that's not how things are usually done.

From Chipman:

Please know that our players have committed themselves to an off-season aimed at getting our team to the next level and to challenge for the Stanley Cup. I can assure you this is a commitment our entire organization is focused on, and that we will continue to invest in the necessary resources to give our team, our fans, this city, and this province every opportunity to celebrate that championship together. As we look ahead, we are also very excited about the calibre of young prospects developing in our system, many of whom we believe will allow us to remain a legitimate contender for years to come.

So, we will see what happens re: the young players.

Reactions: Jets 31 and surixon

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016

The Lowry line is really the second line - if you want to open space for youth, the third line (or what we call second), is the place to drop them in assuming we want to provide a spot for skilled youth.
At some point, you then want that youth line to be a true second line - but for now, that's the line where your skilled youth slide in.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
That is how the org has viewed it but does it need to view it that way? The Lowry line is only one line and the org could choose to do any number of things with the other three.

Why can't we roll 4 lines like Dallas and have a soft offensive 3B line instead of a gritty energy line?

We have Name and he was good with Cole last year, why not have him mentor Lambert on a fourth line that gets 13-14 minutes? Iafallo was fine with Cole as well so you could have a fourth line that can do some things offensively against soft opposition with Lambert/Namestnikov/Iafallo.

The org is stuck in doing the same things but it doesn't have to be whether they continue to deploy a Lowry checking unit or not.

Xxx Scheifele Vilardi
KC Perfetti Nino
Barron Lowry Appelton
It really depends on which KC we get. If we get line driving, d playing KC it would work. If we get KC from last season that line gets caved in, as it's hardly the way to break in a new centre. Then we go back to KC and Schief which we know will get caved in.

Also I wonder if Villardi and Schief are able to provide enough offense. When Ehlers was with them he drove the play. When KC was on that line he put up the points.

Also since this is HF not reality, I'd replace Iafallo and immediately just run 2 rookies on that 4th line.

Reactions: hn777

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019

Xxx Scheifele Vilardi
KC Perfetti Nino
Barron Lowry Appelton
Interesting idea. Sometimes I wonder about Lowry at 2C. He's not a complete black hole offensively. If Ehlers doest get dealt, I'd look at:

Ehlers Schief Vilardi
Connor Lowry Perfetti
Nino Lambert Iafallo
Barron Names Appleton

If Ehlers does get dealt, I think I'd bump Nino into the top six, Barron to 3LW and Kupari onto the 4th

I'd like to see one more year in the AHL for Chibs, then graduate him and Salomonsson the next season

Edit: after thinking about it for a sec, I think the org has a pretty good handle on who the top 6 will be next season (with and/or without Ehlers) and that probably factored into Rutger going back to college (as in there isn't a spot for him there)

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Interesting idea. Sometimes I wonder about Lowry at 2C. He's not a complete black hole offensively. If Ehlers doest get dealt, I'd look at:

Ehlers Schief Vilardi
Connor Lowry Perfetti
Nino Lambert Iafallo
Barron Names Appleton

If Ehlers does get dealt, I think I'd bump Nino into the top six, Barron to 3LW and Kupari onto the 4th

I'd like to see one more year in the AHL for Chibs, then graduate him and Salomonsson the next season

Edit: after thinking about it for a sec, I think the org has a pretty good handle on who the top 6 will be next season (with and/or without Ehlers) and that probably factored into Rutger going back to college (as in there isn't a spot for him there)

I think the issue with Lowry isn't that he doesn't have some talent but more so in the lines he takes on the ice and the where he puts the puck. The way our skilled players like to play clashes with how he likes to play. It's why despite a fee attempts to try him in a more skilled role it hasn't really stuck.

But maybe a new coach will have him play differently and there will be a fit. Something to definitely consider and possibly try.

Reactions: Jets 31 and Buffdog

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010

11 fwds are signed, with 2 unsigned RFAs, and excluding Monahan who I think they want to bring back to shore up 2C.

How many of these signed players do you foresee getting dealt?

Not sure if I'd predict a mass amount of trades tbh.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad