Speculation: With the third pick in the 2024 NHL draft the Anaheim Ducks select...(Plus other Draft talk)

Who do the Ducks take at pick 3?

• Ivan Demidov

Votes: 27 19.1%
  • Anton Silayev

Votes: 17 12.1%
  • Artyom Levshunov

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Cayden Lindstrom

Votes: 12 8.5%
  • Sam Dickinson

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • Zayne Parekh

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Zeev Buium

Votes: 4 2.8%
  • Carter Yakemchuk

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • Cole Eiserman

Votes: 2 1.4%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

DucksRoll

May 9, 2015
Bob McKenzie surveyed 10 scouts and the top 4 consistently were the same.
  • 2 Demidov (9 ranked him in the top 5, 5 ranked him 2nd)
  • 3 Silayev (8 ranked him in the top, 2 ranked him 2nd, 3 ranked him 3rd)
  • 4 Levshunov (8 ranked him in the top 5, 3 ranked him 2nd, 1 ranked him 3rd)
  • 5 Lindstrom (8 ranked him in the top 5, but none ranked him second, 2 ranked him 3rd)

• Parekh got a 3rd and 4th place vote
    Helenius got a single 3rd place vote
  • Dickinson and Yakemshuk both received a 4th and 5th place vote
  • Buium got a 4th place vote
  • Sennecke got a 5th place vote
This would seem to indicate that Demidov, Silayev, Levshunov, and Lindstrom are the likely options for 3OA, depending on who Chicago takes.

Comparing those four on several other rankings:

From The Athletic:

Pronman:
  • 2 Levshunov (tier 2)
  • 5 Silayev (tier 3)
  • 8 Demidov (tier 4)
  • 11 Lindstrom (tier 5)
Wheeler:
  • 2 Demidov (tier 2)
  • 3 Levshunov
  • 10 Silayev (tier 3)
  • 11 Lindstrom
Elite Prospects:
  • 2 Demidov
  • 3 Lindstrom
  • 4 Levshunov
  • 9 Silayev
They have 4-14 in one large tier, though.

Chris Peters:
  • 2 Levshunov
  • 3 Lindstrom
  • 4 Silayev
  • 5 Demidov
From this, I would say it depends on what we are looking for.

IMO, Demidov is the best of the four in terms of pure offense, although his slightly smaller size could be an issue - that said, I think it's a bigger issue for Chicago than it is for us given how small Bedard is. Lindstrom seems to be viewed warily by some due to his recent injury and underwhelming play since then.

But Stephens said last Thursday that scouts he's talked to think the Ducks prefer defense at 3OA. Both Levshunov and Silayev are big guys - Silayev disgustingly so - but Levshunov brings more offense to the table. At the same time, it also depends on how Madden and his staff view the defensive upside of each.

My best guess at this point in time is that I don't think Levshunov will be around for pick 4, but whether he goes to Chicago or Anaheim remains to be seen. Personally, I would go Demidov if Chicago passes on him, but that's just me. Regardless, whichever of those four they pick - or if they go off the board - I think our draft crew have earned the benefit of the doubt, so I'm excited to see who they go with.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
I think Adam Kimelman from NHL.com sums up the case for Silayev pretty well:

Kimelman -- Anton Silayev, D, Nizhny Novgorod (RUS): The left-shot defenseman is one of the most intriguing players in the draft because of his size (6-7, 211) and developing offensive side of his game. The Ducks have stockpiled young offensive-minded defensemen, among them Tristan Luneau, Olen Zellweger and Pavel Mintyukov. Silayev has the potential to be a tremendous complementary piece on a top defense pair.

Reactions: Terry Yake

ADHB

Sponsor
Apr 9, 2012
I really hope verbeek is working on consolidating picks to move up in the first round.
Agreed. At this point, we need quality in our system and not more quantity. There is enough depth. Time to focus on higher end guys. There are so many prospects that we’ve accumulated through the draft in recent years that there aren’t nearly enough contracts available for everyone. Would be nice to turn some combination of picks/prospects into a player or two we really like as opposed to taking 4 or 5 more guys in the 2nd/3rd round.

Reactions: Static

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Demidov or any of Lev/Silayev/Dicky are good especially considering Madden would be signing off on a Dman and Demidov is just way ahead of all the forwards below him.
Lindstrom/Helenius would be a disappointment but I doubt they pick either of them at #3.
I get Connor Geekie vibes about Lindstrom, 6'4 center that dominates against small junior players.
Now that I think about it I doubt they go Buium/Parekh at #3, more likely Lev/Sila/Dicky unless they were picking 5th and both Lev/Sila are off the board.

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2011
I'm all for demidov but I don't know if he fits the size profile we want. Also the history of picking offensively limited dmen high in the draft tends to yield mediocre results. Skill and IQ have to be the most important traits

forever1922

Jul 8, 2022
Naantali, Finland
I'm all for demidov but I don't know if he fits the size profile we want. Also the history of picking offensively limited dmen high in the draft tends to yield mediocre results. Skill and IQ have to be the most important traits
Demidov is fine for a winger, even for Verbeek's standard. Slightly below average at 5'11 or 6'0 depending on the source but a well built 180 lb'ish. Which would be a good 20 up from last year.

I think he gets the benefit by being one of the most aggressive forecheckers in the draft. I also don't think I've ever witnessed him not finish a hit, just very consistent off the puck. I honestly question his playmaking and skating in the NHL more than anything else in his game, and those are probably very good after some adjustments.

Anarchynate

Feb 28, 2023
Orange County
Really surprised nobody is talking about Beckett Senneckes rise. He’s showing up in a lot of top 10 mocks lately kind of like how MacT did leading up to the draft. He’s exactly the type of forward prospect PatV loves. 6’3 185lbs amazing skater, great hands and a wicked shot. Very high IQ. It wouldn’t shock me if he was our pick.

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
Really surprised nobody is talking about Beckett Senneckes rise. He’s showing up in a lot of top 10 mocks lately kind of like how MacT did leading up to the draft. He’s exactly the type of forward prospect PatV loves. 6’3 185lbs amazing skater, great hands and a wicked shot. Very high IQ. It wouldn’t shock me if he was our pick.
Where is he going top 10? I don't think I have seen one. He is 14th on Bobs list, EP has him at 19, Central scouting has him at 13 for NA skaters.

In my mind he isnt even close to McTavish. McTavish was over PPG in a mens league and tore it up at the U-18 finishing 5th in points behind Michkov, Bedard, and Wright while he was actually good lol.

Senneckes is barely PPG in the OHL and didnt play in the U-18.

Anarchynate

Feb 28, 2023
Orange County
Where is he going top 10? I don't think I have seen one. He is 14th on Bobs list, EP has him at 19, Central scouting has him at 13 for NA skaters.

In my mind he isnt even close to McTavish. McTavish was over PPG in a mens league and tore it up at the U-18 finishing 5th in points behind Michkov, Bedard, and Wright while he was actually good lol.

Senneckes is barely PPG in the OHL and didnt play in the U-18.
While that’s true, he’s also grown 3 inches this year (trying to adjust to it early on ) and if you look at his production from January on ( including playoffs ) he was at a 110ish pace.not saying he would be my pick at 3, but he is climbing or rising I should say and it wouldn’t be surprising if he went much higher than what people thought.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
He's an issue off the ice.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
I would be very surprised. Wingers (Ovechkin types excluded) generally have the lowest value at the top of the draft. Several D and probably Lindstrom (health permitting) will likely be taken before Sennecke. Also wouldn't be surprised if RW Demidov fell to 5 which is what Pronman's latest mock from today predicts (he had Anaheim taking Silayev and NJ taking Sennecke at 10).

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
I would be very surprised. Wingers (Ovechkin types excluded) generally have the lowest value at the top of the draft. Several D and probably Lindstrom (health permitting) will likely be taken before Sennecke. Also wouldn't be surprised if RW Demidov fell to 5 which is what Pronman's latest mock from today predicts (he had Anaheim taking Silayev and NJ taking Sennecke at 10).
If he had Tij going to Calgary I would say it's basically Canadian fanfic.

I doubt the Ducks take a LHD, but the idea of Columbus passing on Lindstrom or Demidov for another LHD seems a little convenient.

Reactions: Hockey Duckie

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
If he had Tij going to Calgary I would say it's basically Canadian fanfic.

I doubt the Ducks take a LHD, but the idea of Columbus passing on Lindstrom or Demidov for another LHD seems a little convenient.
He had Iginla going 13th.

He had Leshunov going 2nd which makes Silayev at 3rd pretty logical especially since Silayev plays mostly on the right side. Columbus pick is a wildcard right now...they could go in many directions.

anezthes

Mar 20, 2014
I think Lindstrom is my guy, assuming they're satisfied about his injuries. Plus I really want to hear Ahlers deal with a Lindstrom-Lundestrom pairing.

I'm honestly not sold on any of the defensemen in this draft. While Parekh is probably my favorite, I wish he displayed the same tenacity and relentlessness on the defensive side as players like Vatanen or even Zellweger.

Carlsson and Lindstrom would—or should—be a handful for most teams. A forward core consisting of Carlsson, Gauthier, Lindstrom, McTavish, and Zegras sounds like a lot of fun.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad