Prospect Info: #129 Arseny Gritsyuk RW

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
He don’t want to be “free”, he wants to live and cash in the Great city of St Petersburg one more year, and after travel to USA and minimize his ELC period. So one more year of the same and let’s hope he will not be traded for “Saad”.
Ballpark, what do you think he's making in the KHL this year and next? I'm curious how competitive it is compared to playing on an ELC.

Reactions: HBK27

MasterofGrond

No, I'm not serious.
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2009
Rochester, NY
Ballpark, what do you think he's making in the KHL this year and next? I'm curious how competitive it is compared to playing on an ELC.
I believe he's making approximately $1.3M total over this year and next.

So worse, but probably not ENOUGH worse to really drive a guy to make the jump early.

Reactions: My3Sons

MasterofGrond

No, I'm not serious.
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2009
Rochester, NY
If accurate, isn't that a bit less than he'd get if he played a full year on an ELC and got the basic bonuses?
Yes, but him hitting those isn't necessarily a given, they're fairly aggressive even if we offered them. Plus if he were playing in NJ he'd be taxed a meaningful amount more than he is in Russia.

Reactions: My3Sons

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Of course NHL role is much more competitive. But playing 10 minutes or a bench minutes in NHL is worser way for development than 15 minutes in KHL. Ruff would easily sit him on the bench for every mistake or would short his ice time. I believe it would be better for Holtz to actually play in the previous season.
of course he is working on his physical aspects and gain more confidence. And money. It’s great he is having baby already and will travel in different status with different mindset to NA.
I believe he will need to adapt his game in NHL but there are no reason for him to waste his time in AHL for that.

Now his target is to win Gagarins cup as an actual roster player who should make a difference in the game. I hope SKA will play a lot of playoff games this and next year. KHL playoff is intensive experience especially against good teams.

question was about the money. Sorry. @MasterofGrond made good conclusions.

My3Sons

Sponsor
Yes, but him hitting those isn't necessarily a given, they're fairly aggressive even if we offered them. Plus if he were playing in NJ he'd be taxed a meaningful amount more than he is in Russia.
Forgot about the tax difference. And yes, even what I thought would be the category of easy bonuses are no sure thing.

Of course NHL role is much more competitive. But playing 10 minutes or a bench minutes in NHL is worser way for development than 15 minutes in KHL. Ruff would easily sit him on the bench for every mistake or would short his ice time. I believe it would be better for Holtz to actually play in the previous season.
of course he is working on his physical aspects and gain more confidence. And money. It’s great he is having baby already and will travel in different status with different mindset to NA.
I believe he will need to adapt his game in NHL but there are no reason for him to waste his time in AHL for that.

Now his target is to win Gagarins cup as an actual roster player who should make a difference in the game. I hope SKA will play a lot of playoff games this and next year. KHL playoff is intensive experience especially against good teams.
I wasn't clear enough. I meant is the pay scale of the ELC competitive with what he is earning in the KHL. If he plays one year on an ELC is it roughly equal to what he's making now? Exchange rates aside, it sounds like the answer is no.

Reactions: Guadana

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
If accurate, isn't that a bit less than he'd get if he played a full year on an ELC and got the basic bonuses?

If he had signed, he probably would have started in the AHL making 70K. Team probably couldn't have made any assurances of an immediate NHL roster spot.

If he had hypothetically signed an ELC spring 2024, it would have been a CBA mandated two year deal since he'd be 23. But by waiting until signing until 2025, his ELC will only be one year. Unfortunately his agent did his job in terms of maximizing his potential earnings.

forceten

Sponsor
Jul 15, 2004
Raleigh, NC
Malkin? There were some situations, I don’t remember correctly. They have agreement, it doesn’t work well in case of Fedotov, but case of Fedotoov is very specific, different people blame different sides, I think he and /or his agent are stupid persons. Every other players doing things with the right way to do.
I believe they can terminate the deal, but I don’t actually see why they will do it. Gritsyuk is having a good deal, he can travel after next season and burn ELC.
I know it would be great to have him now, but still it would be great to have him for the play off next season when Luke and Simon will be more experienced and Fitz(I hope) will find good starting goalie. We are having some kind of noise and reputation issue with McLeod and Foote, so I believe we don’t need another racket around illegal removal of Gritsyuk.

The only reason I could see is if the KHL team wanted to be compensated financially but with Gritsyuk playing for a well-funded team I doubt they need the money and would prefer the talent on the roster.

Reactions: Guadana

My3Sons

Sponsor
If he had signed, he probably would have started in the AHL making 70K. Team probably couldn't have made any assurances of an immediate NHL roster spot.

If he had hypothetically signed an ELC spring 2024, it would have been a CBA mandated two year deal since he'd be 23. But by waiting until signing until 2025, his ELC will only be one year. Unfortunately his agent did his job in terms of maximizing his potential earnings.

To be fair, that’s the agent’s job.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Forgot about the tax difference. And yes, even what I thought would be the category of easy bonuses are no sure thing.

I wasn't clear enough. I meant is the pay scale of the ELC competitive with what he is earning in the KHL. If he plays one year on an ELC is it roughly equal to what he's making now? Exchange rates aside, it sounds like the answer is no.
Yeah, he is having 1.1 mil + bonuses for this two years now, but it is very real to have bonuses for him in actual environment, life is cheaper, small taxes, no AHL with 70K salary on the horizon. And after that, if things will not go well in NHL, he can return to KHL for the next big deal, he is proven KHLer with big deal history. If things will go well in NHL - he will sign good deal in NHL. So it is very reasonable for him from the money point.
The only reason I could see is if the KHL team wanted to be compensated financially but with Gritsyuk playing for a well-funded team I doubt they need the money and would prefer the talent on the roster.

Yeah, SKA wants to compete and win championships. They were close for many years. Gritsyuk is playing well for his salary, so they would not prefer to end the deal earlier. I believe Arseniy dont want either for the specified reasons.

My3Sons

Sponsor
Yeah, he is having 1.1 mil + bonuses for this two years now, but it is very real to have bonuses for him in actual environment, life is cheaper, small taxes, no AHL with 70K salary on the horizon. And after that, if things will not go well in NHL, he can return to KHL for the next big deal, he is proven KHLer with big deal history. If things will go well in NHL - he will sign good deal in NHL. So it is very reasonable for him from the money point.

Yeah, SKA wants to compete and win championships. They were close for many years. Gritsyuk is playing well for his salary, so they would not prefer to end the deal earlier. I believe Arseniy dont want either for the specified reasons.
I don't see any way Gritsyuk can't step into a third line role if he keeps developing his game. I am skeptical they extend Toffoli despite his hat trick. That will open up a top six wing slot. Even if Holtz grabs it, Grits has to be as good as guys like Lazar and Bastian, etc. Assuming like most young players he keeps working on elements of his game that need some improvement he should be a full time NHL player the day he finally arrives in NJ. I don't think NJ wants him in North America to play in Utica.

Reactions: MasterofGrond

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
I don't see any way Gritsyuk can't step into a third line role if he keeps developing his game. I am skeptical they extend Toffoli despite his hat trick. That will open up a top six wing slot. Even if Holtz grabs it, Grits has to be as good as guys like Lazar and Bastian, etc. Assuming like most young players he keeps working on elements of his game that need some improvement he should be a full time NHL player the day he finally arrives in NJ. I don't think NJ wants him in North America to play in Utica.
Of course and we should analyze it from realities. For now Devils have Mercer, Haula, Holtz, Bratt, Meier, Palat and Toffoli. 7 top-9 wingers. Even if Huala is a center now, its still very questionable how many minutes he will get there now. And if you are act like he could wanna now something about actual realities, than he should know how Holtz is treating by Ruff.
So anyway for now we are having the situation where he will come next spring. It is more realistically. I believe Devils will promote Holtz and/or will sign FA winger from the market on a short term. Thank Grits can play and burn his ELC. He will got the money, his baby will be older, Grits will be even more experienced as a playoff player, and he will maximize his starting deal.

I know Devils fans wants good players for cheap for as long as we can. But in this case player is controlling his destiny as tight as he can. I believe organisation is okay with that because if he is a good KHLer, Devils own his rights for the long period, if he is not - its a fifth pick was spend for the pick. Good KHLer with real chances to impactful NHLer is a good outcome. Even without three cheap ELC years in the NHL roster.

My3Sons

Sponsor
Of course and we should analyze it from realities. For now Devils have Mercer, Haula, Holtz, Bratt, Meier, Palat and Toffoli. 7 top-9 wingers. Even if Huala is a center now, its still very questionable how many minutes he will get there now. And if you are act like he could wanna now something about actual realities, than he should know how Holtz is treating by Ruff.
So anyway for now we are having the situation where he will come next spring. It is more realistically. I believe Devils will promote Holtz and/or will sign FA winger from the market on a short term. Thank Grits can play and burn his ELC. He will got the money, his baby will be older, Grits will be even more experienced as a playoff player, and he will maximize his starting deal.

I know Devils fans wants good players for cheap for as long as we can. But in this case player is controlling his destiny as tight as he can. I believe organisation is okay with that because if he is a good KHLer, Devils own his rights for the long period, if he is not - its a fifth pick was spend for the pick. Good KHLer with real chances to impactful NHLer is a good outcome. Even without three cheap ELC years in the NHL roster.

I think one ELC year makes sense. He doesn’t want to grind away in his mid 20s. He can play one season to establish his value and collect a nice RFA contract. If I’m NJ I’m saving cap for Luke and Nemec and Mercer and avoiding the UFA market.

Reactions: MakoSlade

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
I think one ELC year makes sense. He doesn’t want to grind away in his mid 20s. He can play one season to establish his value and collect a nice RFA contract. If I’m NJ I’m saving cap for Luke and Nemec and Mercer and avoiding the UFA market.
Its interesting question how many he can achive right after the spring. May be he will sign one year deal on the solid price instead of playing one year on ELC deal. And in case of Kuzmenko - even after one ELC year player will not get as many as we can imagine. May be he wants to sign two year deal and making bigger financial fundament and sign bigger longer deal after two years, not after three years like we have in Kuzmenko case. Anyway we will see how Devils and Grits will make it.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Limited options with the CBA. If Gritsyuk signs in 2025, it will have to be 1 year ELC. The question will be whether the contract starts immediately or would wait until 2025-26.

Option 1: sign spring 2025, eligible to join team for stretch run (a la Gusev/Vegas), RFA (no offer sheet rights) in summer 2025

Option 2: 1 year ELC for 2025-26, ineligible for 2025 playoffs

Burning the ELC might just be the price of luring him over. They could then commit a 1 way contract, so if he did need AHL seasoning he'd at least be getting an NHL caliber paycheck.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad