Injury Report: 2021-22 Injuries and Covid List Thread

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
New thread up for this season

Edit -
The “COVID List” aspect of this thread is for discussing which players are on the list and the roster implications. It is not for the discussion/politicization of COVID as a concept, disease, or league policy. Anyone feeling the need to delve into that discussion can take it here : COVID 19 - The Coronavirus Outbreak

The raft of “it’s not real”, “educate yourself”, this is how Covid does/doesn’t work, this is how vaccines do/don’t work, we have politicized the biological behavior of an organism that doesn’t have DNA talk can go to the COVID boards, because it ALWAYS leads to flaming, it ALWAYS leads to trolling, and it ALWAYS results in me having to clean up messes, and I’m very, very tired of people feeling the need to not listen to that. Continually ignoring this will lead to thread bans. Anyone popping “nazi”/star of David talk just expect the infraction.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: DucksDefender10

Arthuros

Registered Snoozer
Feb 24, 2014
Littleroot Town
Boy I can't wait for a mysterious owie to hit one of our players.

Not that this season would turn out great even with a healthy squad. :laugh:

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
McTavish has a lower ankle sprain, Murray says he probably won't be ready for around a week. Murray also says he would be surprised if Zegras is NOT on the ice either tomorrow or the day after.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
upload_2021-9-22_14-17-47.png

GreatBear

Feb 18, 2009
Newport Beach
mod edit

NHL players are public figures. Given the NHL and Canadian rules regarding Covid vaccinations, this is relevant public information regarding the players and the team, just as injury information is relevant and is made public. If it were other issues that did not affect the player's availability then I would say that it is not relevant and should be held private.

Last edited by a moderator:
Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
NHL players are public figures. Given the NHL and Canadian rules regarding Covid vaccinations, this is relevant public information regarding the players and the team, just as injury information is relevant and is made public. If it were other issues that did not affect the player's availability then I would say that it is not relevant and should be held private.
There's no public figure exception to HIPAA. More likely the players waived it. Whether that was truly voluntary is probably debatable but I imagine all parties consider it pretty small potatoes, given it doesn't appear that any NHL player opted to skip the season.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
There's no public figure exception to HIPAA. More likely the players waived it. Whether that was truly voluntary is probably debatable but I imagine all parties consider it pretty small potatoes, given it doesn't appear that any NHL player opted to skip the season.
Professional sports leagues handle HIPAA a little differently as any injury or otherwise ailment preventing a player from playing has to be disclosed during the season. While they don't have to specify what illness a player is sitting for, as we saw last year it became pretty obvious when players had covid as they were declared out without any sort of injury designation.

That's just a long winded way of saying the same logic applies here. Teams could keep it all hush hush, but it will be fairly obvious when we play any games in Canada and suddenly a player is out of the lineup for no reason.

I would think players agree in the CBA to disclose injuries for competitive fairness reasons, and it can probably be argued that vaccination status is now part of that.

Last edited:

GreatBear

Feb 18, 2009
Newport Beach
Vaccination status is clearly important for the NHL with regards to crossing the Canadian border, if for no other reason. If you are not vaccinated the Canadian government will require a 14 day quarantine when you enter Canada, which is unrealistic for an NHL player. An unvaccinated player on a US based team will miss 8 - 10 games for the upcoming season based on this rule, depending upon the team's schedule. The same is true for players on Canadian teams. They cannot play in Canada again if they go to the U.S. without the 14 day quarantine upon returning to Canada, which is even more of an impact on the team than the unvaccinated player on the American based team.
Players weigh in on NHL's vaccine policy: 'We want to get back to life'

Shortly the US will require all non-citizen air travelers entering the US to be vaccinated. This will in essence prohibit cross border play by all players who are not US citizens unless they are vaccinated. This will be more stringent that the current Canadian law since under Canadian law you can enter but are subject to the 14 day quarantine, but given NHL travel schedules it has the same effect. If you are not vaccinated you cannot play in the other country.
Here's who will be able to get into the US more easily -- and whose trip just got harder

Regardless of whether there is either a legal or moral duty to the fans of a particular team to know this information, with regards to sports betting, the unavailability of a player is a very relevant factor in the bets that people make. They are entitled to know if a player will not be available prior to when they make their bet. The NHL has become more active in supporting gambling on NHL games and has sports betting "partners". Thus this information of player availability is important to the business of the NHL.

I am not a HIPAA expert and I cannot comment on whether or not HIPAA applies in this situation and whether it has been or could be waived under a collective bargaining agreement. All I can say is that in my experience very few laws have no exceptions, and thus I would be surprised if HIPAA protection is absolute under these circumstances. If someone is a HIPAA expert and can comment on this I would be interested in their response.

Reactions: Static

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Professional sports leagues handle HIPAA a little differently as any injury or otherwise ailment preventing a player from playing has to be disclosed during the season. While they don't have to specify what illness a player is sitting for, as we saw last year it became pretty obvious when players had covid as they were declared out without any sort of injury designation.

That's just a long winded way of saying the same logic applies here. Teams could keep it all hush hush, but it will be fairly obvious when we play any games in Canada and suddenly a player is out of the lineup for no reason.

I would think players agree in the CBA to disclose injuries for competitive fairness reasons, and it can probably be argued that vaccination status is now part of that.

Professional sports league don't have to disclose the exact ailment. In the NHL, we get reports of lower body injury or upper body injury. For competitive reasons of vagueness, not disclosing the specific injury protects a player when they return to the ice so that the other team cannot focus on that healed injury. COVID could be classified as an upper body injury since it attacks the lungs.

I'm curious about how the NBA will deal with this considering the Toronto Raptors is a Canadian team and the NBA isn't going to require its players to get vaxxed. Will Toronto be relocated in the US like it did last season?

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
Professional sports league don't have to disclose the exact ailment. In the NHL, we get reports of lower body injury or upper body injury. For competitive reasons of vagueness, not disclosing the specific injury protects a player when they return to the ice so that the other team cannot focus on that healed injury. COVID could be classified as an upper body injury since it attacks the lungs.

I'm curious about how the NBA will deal with this considering the Toronto Raptors is a Canadian team and the NBA isn't going to require its players to get vaxxed. Will Toronto be relocated in the US like it did last season?
That isn't how covid was designated last season in any sports league, however. It was designated in such a way that it was clear covid was the only reason the player wasn't in the lineup, which made any privacy concern pointless.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
Doing a quick google query on the definition of immunity states: "the ability of an organism to resist a particular infection or toxin by the action of specific antibodies or sensitized white blood cells."

Resisting infection. Crazy how that is obviously missed. I'll translate what you wrote,"Vaxxed people can get infected and spread the virus, but not as high as an unvaxxed person. The jab reduces severity of symptoms if symptoms show." Of course, you're neglecting those who got infected and were asymptomatic. Using science, we can identify by age group and co-morbities of people who will most likely incur symptoms.

Again, I'm not anti-vax. Those who are prone to likely death would be best served to get vaxxed. Recently, the CDC approved a third booster shot for age 65+, which is great b/c science is discovering the the protection duration doesn't last that long.

You're comparing more established vaccines with a new vaccine that we still are figuring out how effective and ineffective it is today. Only pfizer is FDA approved (and just approved for a 3rd shot aka booster), but there are two more vaccine formulations with Moderna (two shots) and J&J (one shot), who are on emergency approval. There's a vast mixture of all three throughout the country.

As for an employer asking for your vax status, it all depends on the contract a person signed or will sign if it's in the contract. The NHL is pushing for its franchises to be vaxxed and many will comply, but is it voluntary? That's where a person now has to weigh the options: lose out on making money or continue to make money.

Now, remember, it's pushing vax passports and isn't accepting natural immunity. That doesn't make scientific sense.
so you're denying that the vaccines can protect a person from getting infected altogether and only serve to lessen the severity of covid infection?

moderna and j&j are also FDA approved. they're just approved for EUA. research on mRNA vaccines goes back decades, this isn't something that was just developed in a year. the covid vaccines are certainly not the first mRNA vaccines to be used and they won't be the last, because mRNA is the future of vaccines.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
Vaccination status is clearly important for the NHL with regards to crossing the Canadian border, if for no other reason. If you are not vaccinated the Canadian government will require a 14 day quarantine when you enter Canada, which is unrealistic for an NHL player. An unvaccinated player on a US based team will miss 8 - 10 games for the upcoming season based on this rule, depending upon the team's schedule. The same is true for players on Canadian teams. They cannot play in Canada again if they go to the U.S. without the 14 day quarantine upon returning to Canada, which is even more of an impact on the team than the unvaccinated player on the American based team.
Players weigh in on NHL's vaccine policy: 'We want to get back to life'

Shortly the US will require all non-citizen air travelers entering the US to be vaccinated. This will in essence prohibit cross border play by all players who are not US citizens unless they are vaccinated. This will be more stringent that the current Canadian law since under Canadian law you can enter but are subject to the 14 day quarantine, but given NHL travel schedules it has the same effect. If you are not vaccinated you cannot play in the other country.
Here's who will be able to get into the US more easily -- and whose trip just got harder

Regardless of whether there is either a legal or moral duty to the fans of a particular team to know this information, with regards to sports betting, the unavailability of a player is a very relevant factor in the bets that people make. They are entitled to know if a player will not be available prior to when they make their bet. The NHL has become more active in supporting gambling on NHL games and has sports betting "partners". Thus this information of player availability is important to the business of the NHL.

I am not a HIPAA expert and I cannot comment on whether or not HIPAA applies in this situation and whether it has been or could be waived under a collective bargaining agreement. All I can say is that in my experience very few laws have no exceptions, and thus I would be surprised if HIPAA protection is absolute under these circumstances. If someone is a HIPAA expert and can comment on this I would be interested in their response.
You don't need a bettor's exemption or whatever other nonsense, HIPAA can be waived (people do this all the time unwittingly when they sign the privacy forms at their doctor's appointments. Don't sign those!). Static is right, limited HIPAA waivers (or at least incentives to waive/disincentives to not waive) are probably included in the CBA package or some ancillary agreement since the owners have at least a nominal interest in public medical disclosures.

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
McTavish update from Eakins:
Getting closer. He's progressed along where he's on the ice. And as soon as I see that he's on the ice, then it's usually not too long until he joins us. But he's still right in the mix... He's skating and hopefully I see him soon.

Reactions: ohcomeonref

pbgoalie

Aug 8, 2010
I can see it now
2024 hockey News
McTavish has ankle surgery On injury he sustained in showcase event 2021
Ducks thought he could play through it

Reactions: Kalv

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad