2023-2024 Coaching/Management/Ownership

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Real JT

Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss. :(
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
I see a number of comments saying how Isles fans looked favorably on his years in the organization.

While I’m in the minority, I thought he was pretty bad at his job. The Isles have had some good Dmen pass through the farm and I’ll reluctantly give him at least partial credit for that. If that’s what your team is hiring him for maybe it’ll work.

As for his development of forwards and goalies it was brutally bad. To be kind, I would give him an overall grade of C-. Hope it works out for you.

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
I see a number of comments saying how Isles fans looked favorably on his years in the organization.

While I’m in the minority, I thought he was pretty bad at his job. The Isles have had some good Dmen pass through the farm and I’ll reluctantly give him at least partial credit for that. If that’s what your team is hiring him for maybe it’ll work.

As for his development of forwards and goalies it was brutally bad. To be kind, I would give him an overall grade of C-. Hope it works out for you.
As an assistant focused on the PK/defensemen, sounds perfect.

Reactions: Sean Garrity

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Did I miss a statement release where they were keeping Brown and Stothers? The last thing I remember seeing about any of the old coaching staff is that they would be invited to be part of the process but nothing about them being retained.

As for Thompson, I wouldnt freak out about Isles fans being happy hes gone. Different role, different responsibilities.

From the Athletic on Jun 26, 2023:

Assistant coach movement

Verbeek confirmed that Newell Brown, who is in his third turn with Anaheim as an assistant, will return as a member of Cronin’s staff. Brown, 61, rejoined the franchise in 2021 under Dallas Eakins. He was also part of the 2007 Stanley Cup championship staff under Randy Carlyle.
Mike Stothers has been reassigned to the role of special advisor to coaching mentorship after he, the GM and Cronin discussed how he might be best utilized. Stothers, 61, joined the organization two years ago. In March, the former head coach of the Kings’ AHL teams in Manchester, N.H., and Ontario, Calif., was diagnosed with stage 3 melanoma. He is said to be doing well as he continues his recovery process.
It isn’t clear if the Ducks intend to hire another assistant to be on the bench with Brown and Craig Johnson, although one who has a defensive background could make sense. Stothers worked with the Anaheim blue line and penalty kill.

Of course, we signed Brent Thompson to be that defensive assistant coach.

Rybread86

To the DOME
Mar 24, 2022
OC
From the Athletic on Jun 26, 2023:

Assistant coach movement

Verbeek confirmed that Newell Brown, who is in his third turn with Anaheim as an assistant, will return as a member of Cronin’s staff. Brown, 61, rejoined the franchise in 2021 under Dallas Eakins. He was also part of the 2007 Stanley Cup championship staff under Randy Carlyle.
Mike Stothers has been reassigned to the role of special advisor to coaching mentorship after he, the GM and Cronin discussed how he might be best utilized. Stothers, 61, joined the organization two years ago. In March, the former head coach of the Kings’ AHL teams in Manchester, N.H., and Ontario, Calif., was diagnosed with stage 3 melanoma. He is said to be doing well as he continues his recovery process.
It isn’t clear if the Ducks intend to hire another assistant to be on the bench with Brown and Craig Johnson, although one who has a defensive background could make sense. Stothers worked with the Anaheim blue line and penalty kill.

Of course, we signed Brent Thompson to be that defensive assistant coach.

Thanks for that!

Rybread86

To the DOME
Mar 24, 2022
OC
Interesting hire. I likely will never have an opinion because I dont listen to the radio/stream broadcasts anymore. Hopefully he brings a different level of insight that Wood was lacking in, but I feel it will be a trade-off of knowledge. Either way, good to see Etem involved. Wasnt great for us as a player but it seems like hes making a bigger impact in other ways now.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
Makes sense that they are eliminating redundancies. I expect the stream team to continue to gain more and more influence with media relations.

DuckDuckGetz

Nov 20, 2017
I liked Dan a lot but I also think the Ducks (and hockey in general) are trying to widen the reach to new fan bases.

Last season it felt like there were multiple themed nights catering directly to the AAPI community, which was cool to see.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
don't really care as i don't listen to the ducks streams, but i always enjoyed carroll and wood together. i can see why them dumped wood for etem though, if their goal is to branch out to a younger audience. plus, doesn't hurt having an ex-player in the studio

Reactions: Rybread86

ohcomeonref

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 18, 2014
Alberta, Canada
I listen to the radio stream fairly regularly when I'm working and can't watch. I liked Dan Wood well enough but it could be just because he's what I got used to. Jurys still out on whether I like this or not but I'm happy to have a Ducks alum in the position.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad